[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gas vs electric ovens? What does /ck/ prefer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: evg.jpg (42 KB, 680x275) Image search: [Google]
evg.jpg
42 KB, 680x275
gas vs electric ovens? What does /ck/ prefer?
>>
I thought electric stoves were just a meme.
>>
I heard gas gives better flavor to food??
>>
File: The_flame_on_a_gas_stove_086581_.jpg (302 KB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
The_flame_on_a_gas_stove_086581_.jpg
302 KB, 3504x2336
I have an electric and I prefer gas.
>>
For regular cooking, gas.

For baking, electric.
>>
>>7286830
>ask about ovens
>have image of stoves
>>
>>7286830
I like electric, with gas, the heat seems to just roll off the bottom of the pan and burn my wrist. With electric the heat is conducted through contact with the hot wire. It's easier for me to control the heat, I can see the hotness of the wire easily by color where judging a almost invisible flame takes a lot of practice, it seems to scale up exponentially on a lot of rangetops, it's either so low it won't boil water, or so high it burns me when I get close, with like a 1/4 inch of margin on the valve.

This assumes not glass top, I hate those.
>>
File: propane.jpg (22 KB, 320x276) Image search: [Google]
propane.jpg
22 KB, 320x276
>>7286830
Gas.
>>
>>7286830
Gas all the way, if anything else, your a faggot. I realize that some have to work with; but if you have a choice, you would literally be retarded if not gas.
>>
>>7286830
Gas. It has a far better reaction time.
>>
Duel Fuel bitches.
>>
>>7286846
When do you bake on the cooker? I realise OP said ovens but he is clearly talking about the cooker.
>>
>>7287002
i think he's referring to the fact that you can have a gas range/electric oven combo, which is best imo
>>
My girlfriends man cooks on a gas stove when we're at his house. I only have electric at mine.
>>
Gas for stove (that induction shit or whatever it's called is also pretty great but regular electric is shit tier).

Electric for oven.
>>
Induction obviously
>>
>>7286830
Gas oven and stove.

Can't beat a blue flame broil, and if your gas oven is designed properly, it heats just as even as electric.
>>
File: 1449609280366.jpg (53 KB, 552x472) Image search: [Google]
1449609280366.jpg
53 KB, 552x472
>>7287070
>>
>>7287070

when will the memeness end
>>
I prefer gas, simply because I have instant heat adjustment. Electricity will do, of course, but gas is preferable.
>>
>>7286830
Gas without question
>tfw only have shit electric stove
>>
>>7286830
Gas.
>>
File: 1404151071237.png (3 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1404151071237.png
3 KB, 267x200
>>7286830
Induction.
>>
>>7287243

Haha get fucked.
>>
>Implying ceramic isn't the best.
>>
File: what_0.gif (538 KB, 245x320) Image search: [Google]
what_0.gif
538 KB, 245x320
>>7287070
>>
Is there a heating element that is better controlled and more responsive than gas?
>>
>>7287356

It's an epic meme.
>>
The worst possible cooktop is electrical coil - the pain in the ass of cleaning a gas stove with the lack of temperature control of electric.
>>
>Making any dish ever
>Using electric
>Hey its time to lower the power for this part of the dish
>OH WAIT! IT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK BECAUSE THE METAL NEEDS TO COOL OFF!
Only good for frying eggs.
>>
>>7287418
Yep, everybody knows this which is why everybody who didn't think of funny memes to post has said this. Pointless topic, really.

Everybody who is forced to use electric also knows you can work around it by adjusting the heat setting in advance of when you need it adjusted, or by having another one ready to transfer to, but it's certainly unwieldy.
>>
>>7286830

Gas is better for everything other than very low heats. This is an annoyance if you've only got shit pans available (I had to buy a bunch of heat diffusers until I got better ones).
>>
File: glowigniter.jpg (69 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
glowigniter.jpg
69 KB, 600x450
>>7287002
>When do you bake on the cooker?

No, I meant for the top/cooker/cook top/stove top and oven respectively.

Best combination is gas cook top, electric oven.

Commercial baking is all done in electric ovens.

Gas oven is okay though. Their advantage being easier to repair since the igniters usually die out.
>>
>>7287075
This desu. Induction is the stove masterrace. Literally no flavs and all the advantages.
>>
>>7287357
Induction.

>>7287395
Induction > Gas > Electric > Solar > Open electric(why do these exist?)
>>
>>7287070
Wait, what?
>>
>>7289216
it's a stupid cuckold joke, they get posted here occasionally. "my wife's son", "my girlfriend's man" etc.
>>
>>7286830
I prefer electric because I can rely on the heating better (at least in my experience)

Plus gas fucking scares me
>>
My parents told me that electric ovens consume a lot of energy so that why they didn't bought one and instead went right into gas
Is that true?
>>
>>7290117
Gas is about 25 cents per hour. Electric is 20 cents per hour.

Source: The very first result on Google.
>>
>>7286830
Gas all day every day. I have an old electric stove and it's shit, fucking hate it.
>>
I've never actually seen a non gas stove in my life, is it just common in the US and third world countries?
>>
>>7290160
You probably use gas less often than power though. Especially if you're in a warm climate and it's summer.
>>
>>7286830
Gas: instant result, precision control.
Electric: Slow heat up, slow reaction to temperature change
>>
>>7290160
electric costs more time, gas less.
>>
Electric, only because I don't like propane. Seen too many house/warehouse explosions

However an outdoor propane grill is fine, where the gas can disperse
>>
>>7290256
In some neighborhoods in the US, some property owners and development companies are just too cheap to have a gas supply ran onto the properties.

In actual rural mountain communities, many of them use propane.
>>
>>7290557
Dutch here, my apartment doesn't have Gas neither. I fucking hate electric cooking. (will move out soon anyway)
>>
>>7286830
ELECTRIC for 1 simple reason: you can control the temp down to the degree if its digital
>>
>>7290601
You can control temperature down to the degree with a digital gas oven too.
>>
Gas is better imho. Electric stovetops will scratch and look like shit over time. I don't think a single actual restaurant uses electric ranges. If the people who use stoves to make a living use gas, why wouldn't you?
>>
>Oven
Electric
>Hob
Gas
>>
>>7290117
It was true a few decades ago, but the relative cost of gas has gone up quite a bit over time.
>>
>>7290160
gas is much more cost effective. while electricity is 100 efficient it costs much more than gas. just look at any energy tags when you are in a hardware store.
>>
>>7286844
Same here, I grew up with electric but got a few gas ranges when I moved out - kinda miss 'em
>>
>>7290749
Not really. It may have gone up a few cents but it's still much cheaper than electricity in most areas.
>>
>>7286830
My rankings are gas>induction>electric. I honestly like induction for how fast it is but It's too easy to burn shit with it in some dishes. Rice especially. Gas is the easiest to use.
>>
>>7286830
oven: electric
stove gas
>>
File: 1453328612732.png (179 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
1453328612732.png
179 KB, 520x520
Unless I'm "cooking" in the sense that I'm heating up volatile chemicals in my poorly ventilated basement for the purposes of getting high, gas all the way. No waiting when turning on or adjusting temperature for the coils to heat or cool. Also can roast peppers, heat up tortillas, and cook in more unconventional cookware that doesn't really touch the coils. That, and it gives you a gas broiler which just gets hotter, great for getting a good char.

And for that reason, electric and induction a shit.
>>
Ausfag here just wanted to greentext

>Massive storms last week
>Power outage for 8 hours
>My neighbour has electric, I have gas stove
>Knocks on my door about 4 hours after power is out
>"Hey uhh can we cook on your stove, we can't even use ours!"
>"Say no more!"
>Use one of those long lighters to light the burner
>WA LA

I mean I do understand a lot of older houses don't have gas tops but they are definitely superior in that instance.
>>
File: coilvsinduction2cup.png (26 KB, 819x541) Image search: [Google]
coilvsinduction2cup.png
26 KB, 819x541
>>7286830
Induction > Gas > Electric Radiant (Flat) > Electric Coil
http://www.centurylife.org/electric-vs-natural-gas-or-butane-propane-etc-vs-induction-cooktops-and-ranges/
http://www.centurylife.org/is-induction-more-efficient-than-electric-coil-or-gas-an-energy-efficiency-comparison-between-stoves/
>>
>>7287363
oh, so he's implying that electric-range owners are cuckolds, i see.
>>
>>7286830
both is not even known in the US
>>
>>7290256
Here in Third world countries gas ovens are the standard, never heard of electric ones lmfao
>>
>>7287357

At the same power induction will heat the inside of the pan up quicker, of course large gas burners are 10s of kW whereas induction stoves generally are not.
>>
>>7292097

Gas outages tend to be less frequent, but when they do occur they tend to be far more lengthy.
>>
>>7287623
Gas ovens heart so much faster. Mine gets to 400 in about 5 minutes, the downside is it fluctuates up and down about 25 degrees each way.
>>
>>7286830
Gas. I use electric tho because that's what I got when I moved in. It's neat for sustaining temperature and cooking on the leftover heat with the cleanliness benefit of it but I prefer the instantenous heat control of gas.
>>
>>7286830
I've had induction, electric, wood, and gas. I much prefer wood and gas. Natural gas/methane, not propane.
>>
I hear electric only works on certain types of cookware? Moving out to a house which has an electric stove, don't want to have to buy all new stuff
>>
>>7293755
>I hear electric only works on certain types of cookware?
That's induction.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.