[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GIN THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13
File: image.png (234 KB, 400x825) Image search: [Google]
image.png
234 KB, 400x825
Gin and tonic, nutritious and delicious. A source of vitamin C, protects you from malaria and it gets you sober and drunk at the same time.

What's your favourite gin, tonic and garnish? Do you serve it in a highball or a fishbowl?

Also has anyone tried this Anty Gin? It's gin made from ants. Seriously.

I'd like to try some but it's £200 a fucking bottle.
>>
>>7285852
is it "gin made from ants" or " gin with ants added"? I'm not sure you could distill ants, but maybe?
>>
File: herno-navy-strength-gin-1[1].jpg (354 KB, 640x954) Image search: [Google]
herno-navy-strength-gin-1[1].jpg
354 KB, 640x954
dis gin

breddy fookin decemp
>>
My current gin list, in order of expense
>Monkey 47
>The Botanist
>Bathtub Gin
>Bombay Sapphire
>Gordons

£200 for a bottle of ant gin sounds like a joke. And the likelyhood is, the ants make no difference.
>>
>>7285954
>Formica rufa, the red wood ant, are found in forests around the Northern Hemisphere, and are inspiringly sophisticated creatures. They communicate using a host of chemical pheromones, which allow them to form immense colonies housed in large mounds, and they defend their complex communities by producing formic acid in their abdomens and spraying it in the direction of any invader. Luckily for us, these very compounds hold great delicious potential. Formic acid (the simplest organic carboxylic acid, with the chemical formula HCOOH) is a very reactive compound in alcohol, serving as an agent for producing various aromatic esters. Furthermore, many of their chemical pheromones are the same volatile molecules, which we perceive as aroma. Through distillation of these wood ants, we can explore the tasty universe of these naturally occurring molecules and reactions, capturing the flavours of this fascinating species.
>>
>>7285970
Bombay and Gordon's are trash.

Monkey 47 is one of my favourite however. With Fever Tree tonic, lime wedge and CUNT LOADS of ice.
>>
>>7286027
tl;dr marketing bullshit

Don't waste your money just get a decent premium gin for £40 (or 5 bottles).
>>
>>7286028
There's nothing wrong with Bombay or Gordons.

They arent as good as the other 3, but if we have guests who im not that friendly with or im looking to get trashed, they are good to have around. Im not likely to break out the expensive shit for my girlfriends friends who I barely know.
>>
>>7286041
I find Plymouth in a similar price range and much nicer. Gordon's is absolute dogshit and cloying on the palette. Bombay is alright.
>>
>nutritious

Are you living in a third world country?
>>
File: boodlesginbottle.jpg (619 KB, 2028x3476) Image search: [Google]
boodlesginbottle.jpg
619 KB, 2028x3476
BOODLES!
COCK RUSSEL Company.

Look at this, Winston Churchill loved it, so did Ian Flemming who wrote the James Bond stories.

Every other gin is shit.

Another Anon on this board pointed it to me and I haven't looked at any other gin since.
>>
>>7286226
I think that Anon was me. You're welcome.
>>
>>7286226
Probably better off with Tanqueray desu.
>>
>>7285852
>A source of vitamin C,
Technically, yes, if you add lemon, but the amount will be laughable small. And if you consume such amounts of G/T that the C actually matters, you have other things to worry about
> protects you from malaria
that was long ago. The current tonics sold contain not enough chinin to do shit.

that said, its still a damn tasty drink.

Or at least I think so.

whenever an evening ends with G/T, I dont remember too much the next day...
>>
>>7286038
>marketing bullshit
probably, but I would guess that they are probably indeed using ants, then?

But distilling them? Isnt the process you use to get the aromas from the botanicals into the alcohol called something else?

but it would make an interesting addition to any bar to get vegans angry.

>Hi buddy, want a Gin?
>sure mate
>Hah, you just drank animals!
>>
>>7286374
ten bucks says they just add the formic acid & mark up the price
>>
>>7286380
probably more like a new meme to make eating insects seem exclusive and cultured.
>>
>>7286366
Gin is the only alcohol that doesn't give me bad hangovers no matter how much I drink of it. I'm sure the tonic actually hydrates and sobers you up so you don't get a headache the next day.
>>
>>7286405
Well, white spirits contain less of chemicals known as congeners which cause hangovers. Example of spirits from low to high.

Vodka
Gin
White Wine
Dark Rum
Red Wine
Brandy

As a rule of thumb the darker the alcohol the more you will get hungover from it.

Source: http://dhmdepot.com/pages/do-different-types-of-alcohol-cause-worse-hangovers
>>
Less about gin. What are the best tonics?

My local shop only either stocks Schwepps or Fever Tree (or their own instore brand piss).

I usually buy Fever Tree but sometimes it can be overly bitter depending on the gin and I tend to end up adding an extra squeeze of lime to balance things out.
>>
>>7285852
New Amsterdam

I buy 1.75l of the stuff every other week or so.

Easily the best cheap gin.
>>
>>7286366
>lemon

I hope you don't put lemon in your gin. Lime. Always lime.

Unless Hendricks then use cucumber.
>>
File: image.jpg (221 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221 KB, 900x900
>>7285970
+1 for Monkey 47

Pretty expensive considering they only sell it in 500ml bottles. Still buy it though!

Has anyone ever tried the distillers cut?
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 550x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 550x318
Nicest gin I came across was one in Spain called Mahon Gin.

They have a lot of gin bars over there where they serve it with lots of ice in a bowl glass and match the gin carefully with different tonics and garnishes (pic related).

I ended up buying one of the bowl glasses and IMO it's the nicest way to enjoy a gin. Lots of ice keeps it chilled and also stops it from melting. Bowl glass apparently enhances smell and flavour much like with wine.

I'm never going back to a highball.
>>
>>7285970
sell all expect monkey at work only get bathtub or botanist and go for navy strength
>>
>>7286226
I love this shit
>>
>>7286837
Sorry mate, I cannot comprehend this sentence.
>>
>>7286038
You don't even know if it tastes you good. You're just upset because it's novel. You're basically a hipster.
>>
>>7286889
sorry lad ive had a few basically the botanist and the bathtub are the best ones there but if you are going to get a bottle of the bathtub then get the navy strength as its better
>>
>>7286918
I got it on Amazon black friday sale, £20. Would have got the navy strength if that was on sale too. Havent opened it yet but heard its good. Everything by Professor Cornelius is good though imo.
>>
>>7286028
>CUNT LOADS

opinion discarded
>>
>>7286930
yeah good steal lad we get it in at 19.19 but its nice v subtle in scent but nice on taste
i got a bottle of the absinthe and thats right proper N A U G H T Y
>>
File: photo_sloe_gin_w800.jpg (64 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
photo_sloe_gin_w800.jpg
64 KB, 700x525
Sloe Gin is best Gin.

I made two bottles this year, ideally you should keep them for 2-3 years to mature after being bottled but mine lasted about 2 weeks.
>>
>>7286974
I missed the Rumbullion XO on the amazon sale, which annoyed me. Got a bottle of the regular though.

>>7286997
Sloe gin is excellent. This is my favourite hip flask drink. I always wanted to make some, but Ive never had access to any sloes.
>>
>>7287019
i dont know what that is desu it has a funny name tho so ill say unlucky lad theres always another day
>>
>>7286910
Basically a hipster for not buying a £200 bottle of gin that's magically made from 62 red ant extractions?

I'd be more of a hipster if I were stupid enough to buy it.
>>
File: 628x471.jpg (54 KB, 611x471) Image search: [Google]
628x471.jpg
54 KB, 611x471
St. George's Gin, The Terrior is my favorite, tastes like a hike in the california mountains. Fever tree tonic, with a meyer lemon twist.
>>
File: 81276.jpg (15 KB, 115x406) Image search: [Google]
81276.jpg
15 KB, 115x406
>>
>>7285852
Sounds alright, I don't think we'd sell a shit ton of it at my place. Most people around our area drink very floral gins. That sounds like dirt and musk.

God Tier Gins if you haven't had em:
>Bulldog (for the price, well, the price I sell them for atleast)
>Hendricks
>Uncle Val's (FUCKING DELICIOUS)
>Broker's
>Boodle's (awesome)
>>
>>7288566
have you had the entire line up of their gins? i kinda wanna buy the 3 gin sampler set they sell but feel ripped off getting 600mL for the price of a 750mL bottle - so far ive only had the botanivore which i really like with gin and tonic or honestly its pretty mellow all by itself

have you had anything else from st george? i feel like theres a lot from them i wanna try

(its only like 30min away i should just go see if they do distillery tours or something)
>>
>>7288536
You're influenced by image, not flavour. Hipster.
>>
Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire are my go-to, if I'm slumming it then Beefeater
>>
>>7288635
It's not the sort of gin you can get sample of though. When my opinion is based on two things: cost and story, I don't think that makes me a hipster for NOT wanting to spend £200 on a bottle gin with some Formica acid.

It's all just marketing and the only people who fall for expensive products with trivial differences are rich hipsters. Apple is a good example of this. And craft beer.
>>
Thoughts on Sipsmith?

Got a bottle for Christmas, it's very junipery.
>>
"the scumbag"
Plymouth navy strength
Seltzer
Lime
Splash absinthe
My go to afterwork drink. 2 is enough
>>
Do you guys ever just drink your gin straight or on the rocks?

Sometimes I feel like I'm spoiling a premium gin by adding tonic.
>>
>>7289646
Naw, but I do measure a gin by how good of a martini it makes, how cloudy it gets after making the martini, and how it smells. I do love a good martini.
>>
File: 11156764_is.jpg (17 KB, 252x378) Image search: [Google]
11156764_is.jpg
17 KB, 252x378
piss colour aside.. this is quite delicious
>>
File: cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (77 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg
77 KB, 960x1280
>>7285852
ive realy been enjoying The Botanist
>>
File: hendricks-gin-for-ladies.jpg (2 MB, 2382x1206) Image search: [Google]
hendricks-gin-for-ladies.jpg
2 MB, 2382x1206
>>7289916
and Hendricks is a close second
>>
>>7289875
How do I into martini?

I want to try it out. What's the best vermouth to use and the best garnish?
>>
>>7286997
What quality of Gin should be used?
>>
My regular gin is Gordon's (serviceable, cheap, comes in a giant plastic jug for parties), but a distillery near me has been making gin, and it's really good. It's Queens Courage gin if you can find it. Very mild, good for Tom Collins.
>>
>>7288931
I love it, my current go to gin
>>
How essential is the ice to a Gin-Tonic? Does it need to be watered down with the ice? does it need to be really cold?

Because I got a bottle of Gin as a birthday present recently, but my freezer is really small and I have some frozen lime leafs and cilantro in it, so I am afraid that ice cubes will take their taste and ruin my drink.
>>
>>7292533
I like to put lots of ice in my G&T. Remember more ice means it'll melt much more slowly and dilute the drink less.

If you only pop in a few cubes it'll melt much rapidly and water down your drink.

You could always put the gin and bottle of tonic in the fridge so it's chilled.

Or buy bagged ice?
>>
>>7293119
>Or buy bagged ice?
Fridge too small…

Hm, but I could outsource that to the office fridge. The freezer compartment is almost never used…

I might as well bring my bottle of Gin with me and some tonic, I also have quite a few empty shelves in my office…

>1 year later
>whoops, how did I become an alcoholic?
>>
>>7292533
one of the key elements of a G&T is LOTS of ice. Use more ice than you would with an average drink. G&T's should be very cold and the more ice you use the less watered down it will get, like >>7293119
already said.
>>
>>7285852
Sounds gross, ever squashed an ant in an inclosed space like a car?
>>
>>7286027
It sounds like a recipe for blindness but I think I'm thinking of the wrong things.
>>
>>7286432
fuck yeah new amsterdam

who cares if it's gin flavoring in diluted grain alcohol
>>
>>7288659
Ur gettin dicey w/beer there, my friend. Sure, craft brew is big-enough now that there exist 'meme craft brews' 4 da 'hipsters' [whoever they are, anymore] but, like any other drink there's some quality strata to be observed, y'hear? Don't go painting w/too broad a brush you'll only end up playin da fool
>>
>>7294987
>ever squashed an ant in an inclosed space like a car?

N-no... Why..?
>>
>>7295334
I was referring to expensive craft beers with fancy labels that are like £6 a bottle. If you go to a beef festival you can buy cask ales which taste much nicer than this hipster crafty bollocks for about £2 a pint.
>>
>>7295352
They release an aroma that warns its compatriots to potential danger in the area, but it's not as big a deal as he's making out. Besides, a lot of gin botanicals don't have strictly pleasant aromas and/or flavors by themselves.
>>
>>7285852
>Anty Gin
I thought it was a clever musical reference then I expanded the thumbnail. Oh well. It still could be I guess.
>>
File: hendricks-gin.jpg (1 MB, 1449x2877) Image search: [Google]
hendricks-gin.jpg
1 MB, 1449x2877
>>7285852
$200 booze is a waste of money.

hendricks is god tier why pay more.
>>
>>7295685
To experience different flavour profiles.

But you're right that it's very expensive. Unless it's absolutely exceptional, it's more the sort of thing you'd sample a single glass of than buy an entire bottle of.
>>
>>7286374
Gin is distilled. They have a basket with the botanicals that hangs in the distillation chamber and the volatile compounds from the juniper/coriander/ants/whatever evaporate and get distilled along with the ethanol and h2o.
>>
I'm turning 21 this August and aside from sips here and there I haven't really drunk alcohol (the only one that didn't make me gag was Bailey's, I want to force down the reflex).

I'm fascinated by descriptions of gin's flavor, but I'm sure it's going to be way too much for me to handle off the bat. Are there any really mild mixed drinks that involve gin I can try, to accustom me to the flavor, or should I work my way up from sweeter/milder drinks to start?
>>
>>7295818
Martini is not only one of the basic cocktails, but also the major gin cocktail. Don't get it too dry if you're just acclimating yourself.

There's also gin and tonic, but the gin tends to get overwhelmed by the tonic.

You can try pink gin if you want to be slightly more exotic, but it's just pure gin with minor adjustment.

If I were you, I'd start by taking a glass of decent gin and sipping it slowly. Bombay Sapphire or even Tanqueray is good enough to start with, but if you do develop a taste for gin you'll probably end up moving on from it.
>>
>>7295828
Sounds like a plan. Thank you!

The flavor blend in Hendrick's looks excellent, but then I'm not an active consumer of the stuff.
>>
>>7295818
>I haven't really drunk alcohol (the only one that didn't make me gag was Bailey's
WTF is wrong with your?
Are you a grill?
Becasue Baileys is the the most gag worthy shit there is. It seems like only girls are immune to it.

If you want to get accustomed to alcohol, do it like its done traditionally:
>1st Wine (though not legal, but it is tradition that you occasionally drink wine, starting with your confirmation at 14, that whole eating and drinking jesus/starting your way to adulthood thing)
>2nd Beer, legal from 16, and a nutritious and easy to judge drink, though you can still of course get heavily shitfaced from
>3rd hard Liquor, legal from 18, requires some judgement and definitely an aquired taste

>I'm turning 21 this August
justamericanproblems…

Seriously, just do whatever you want. If you dont like alcohol, dont drink it! No one is forcing you to drink, to be manly or such shit. In fact, not drinking alcohol and openly stating that you dont like it, is probably more manly thna drinking it, while hating it.
>>
>>7295876
Hendricks is very good. I'd make that my second gin after either Sapphire or Tanqueray.
>>
>>7295878
I'm not really interested in forcing myself to drink alcohol to show off, I just want to see what the fuss is about by giving it a fair chance and trying to taste it past the initial bitter/burn. Gin in particular seems interesting to me because juniper flavor isn't common in normal cooking or non-alcoholic beverages.

And my aunt offered Bailey's to me. It reminds me of straight coffee creamer. Anything more than a couple shotglasses of it might have been gross, but it wasn't inherently bad, just sweet enough to offset the alcohol for someone who isn't used to the taste.

I appreciate the advice!
>>
>>7295921
>I just want to see what the fuss is about by giving it a fair chance and trying to taste it past the initial bitter/burn
Understandable, and being a "taste carrier" (dont know the correct word for it), alcohol can do quite a bit more than just make you a drunken idiot.

But I would really suggest to not start off with high proof stuff or some weird shit like baileys or cocktails. Focus on the basic, "natural" low proof stuff like beer and wine first. Both always have some amount if bitter in them, but you can get stuff thats low in bitter, and they do not burn.

Just dont start with overly sweet wines and light beer. Maybe some mid priced semi-dry white wine for a start, or ask for some reccomendations for some good beers.
>>
File: Napue-IWSC.jpg (134 KB, 600x469) Image search: [Google]
Napue-IWSC.jpg
134 KB, 600x469
Winner of the IWSC best gin & tonic. It's seriously that good.
>>
>>7295878

>too soft to even handle baileys

lol
>>
>>7289882
Fellow Canadafag. I've yet to get this. Is it worth coughing up another $10? Have you ever had Seraphs?
>>
Yeah no i just buy a bottle of the cheapest gin which is 7 bux and mix it with coke zero. I just drink that shit everyday including right now. If i feel like spending ill buy ballentines every once in a while
>>
>>7296180
>gin and Coke Zero

Get out.
>>
>>7289646
It's my preferred way to drink most gin desu. Sometimes a splash of seltzer, but if I'm drinking a good gin I'm gonna hold off on the tonic.
>>
>>7286449
I can vouch for this. The spanish have perfected the G and T.

I am a fan of citadel with orange peel added
>>
Any Canadians know of decent tonic brands that are available here? I've never seen fever tree here, just looked it up and it's pretty expensive on Amazon.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.