[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homemade bacon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15
File: 003.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
i received several pounds of high quality pork belly. This morning, we cooked some straight, cut into rashers and lardons. During the cooking, they turn grey like a pork chop, and smell more 'pork' than bacon, due to the lack of smoke i assume. Eating was delightful, crispy, fat was clean and smooth. very melt in your mouth. Its like a pork chop and a bacon slice made sweet sweet love.

post your pork belly cures, preps and recipes here
>>
File: 004.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>
File: 005.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>7281657
that's not bacon, that's just grilled pork belly. Asians eat it all the time, it's a top-selling item at every Korean bbq restaurant. try it with Korean or Japanese bbq sauce, or with gochujang wrapped in a leafy green
>>
that's not bacon, you mong
>>
File: belly.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
belly.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>
>>7281698
>>7281701

did both of you fail reading comprehension? i cooked some pork belly raw and posted a thread asking for cures to make bacon. i remember when it used to be cool to shitpost, but that was a while ago. now its just sad.
>>
>>7281716
you titled your original post "homemade bacon" and then the meat of your post was talking about how you cooked some pork belly. my comprehension is fine, your composition skills are shit.
>>
File: 1435564496570.jpg (14 KB, 405x447) Image search: [Google]
1435564496570.jpg
14 KB, 405x447
>>7281698
>it's a top-selling item at every Korean bbq restaurant. try it with Korean or Japanese bbq sauce, or with gochujang wrapped in a leafy green
and how bad of a chef are you that im going to take high end pork belly from a pig who had a name, smother it in some shit sweet sauce. Do you put A1 sauce on your grassfed filet mignon?
>>
>>7281701
>>7281730
i had no problem understanding the fact that op knew he wasn't making bacon, and was asking for a recipe to make bacon.

you're just being argumentative, but lol we're on 4chan so that's how you're supposed to be right? haha, internet hate machine!!
>>
>>7281731
pork belly is not a high-end cut. it is tough, fatty tissue. most high-level chefs in Asia would braise or marinate and roast it, virtually no one would grill it for a few minutes and serve it unseasoned. do you also think duck breast in wine reduction is pleb food? or lamb racks with rosemary sauce? not every cut of expensive meat has to be served raw and untouched like a fucking cut of atlantic salmon.

since we're doing oneupmanship, here, I used to live right next to Kobe. I went to a professional businessman-focused steak house, the kind of place where mergers get made, ordered 60bucks/80g of wagyu, and they served it with house steak sauce. If I made a grassfed filet mignon, you better believe I'm going to make a sauce with the drippings, wine, and roux, and apply it conservatively. If you're afraid to do the same thing with a house bbq sauce or a traditional chili paste that Koreans have been eating for centuries, you are a fucking pussy.
>>
>>7281748
>do you also think duck breast in wine reduction is pleb food
duck is memefood for hipsters, I would never eat that because I am not a hipster. also wine is shit, it's 2016 we have craft beer now
>lamb
gross, give me a steak any day. still mooing pls lolol! I'm a carnivore.
>>
>>7281755
I don't really know what you're going for with this one. I'm not going to rate it because I don't know if you were even trying to troll or not.
>>
>>7281755
try less hard
you don't deserve your dubz
>>
File: rJBfz1N.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rJBfz1N.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
Not my pic, but posting it anyway because it's beautiful
>>
>>7281748
why dont you oneupsman me with a nice recipe for a bacon cure instead of shitting up my thread with your dumb 'i sauce my steak' nonsense.

Also, this pork belly is from a pasture raised pig who had a name. The quality of the meat is high, not the quality of the cut. again, comprehension below 4th grade skills not making you a hero itt

feel free to just stop posting though. you havent contributed anything.
>>
>>7281784
you're making me cringe pretty bad senpai, not even they guy you replied to.

you realize you opened your thread by admitting you fucked up your food because you didn't know what you were doing, and now you're rejecting perfectly good advice because it doesn't conform to your retard-tier expectations of how pork belly should be used?
>>
>>7281748
>If I made a grassfed filet mignon, you better believe I'm going to make a sauce with the drippings, wine, and roux, and apply it conservatively.
also, fun fact mr im a genius, grass fed filet wouldnt have drippings, because it was so lean, you'd have to add fat just to get it off the grill/pan. but, you wouldnt know that, because your once in a lifetime 60$ plate of wagyu is the pinnacle of your culinary experience.
>>
>>7281788
another non contributor. man, /ck is shit lately. so many drive by /b/ grade comments.

>>7281778
at least this dude posted some delicious rashers
>>
>>7281784
if the quality of the cut isn't high, why does the quality of the meat matter? maybe this pig belonged to the fucking king of England but if you want to eat its shit that's all you. pork belly does not taste good without sauce and seasoning, and if it did, then why do you want to ruin it by curing and salting it? after all, fresh grilled belly, even with sauce, is hauter cuisine than wal-mart mememeat

>>7281792
I later bought some raw wagyu and cooked it myself to have the experience of doing so. It produced wonderful drippings and was quite lovely. But what do you care, you love the idea of being a culinary expert, not food itself.
>>
>>7281657
lack of sodium nitrate and smoke yes.
>>
>>7281796
>please help me unless I wasn't expecting your idea in which case go back to /b/
I'm helping you by giving you attention, which is really all you're going to get out of this thread. Here is your attention.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOevdVKrTFk
>>
>>7281792

DAAAAAAAAAAMN

Sorry your thread exploded, OP. I have nothing to contribute because I've never managed to find any pork belly but I'll be lurking to see what you end up doing.
>>
>>7281792
Oh lord I hope OP is just acting like you can't make a wine sauce with butter and fond from searing a steak.

Then again this is /CK/ I wouldn't be surprised, in fact I should probably assume pork belly is the peak of his culinary experiences.
>>
>>7281798
>you love the idea of being a culinary expert, not food itself.
Ouch
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-18-09-04-33.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-18-09-04-33.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
Here OP, I'll contribute. Heres 28lbs I did at the beginning of the year.

>dry cured 14 days
>50/50 hickory/apple smoked 22hrs
>>
>>7281868
i was hoping to avoid curing salt. i do have some #1 if thats the only way. My bellys are still skin on. With a dry rub and that long of a smoke, i assume you have to throw some pink salt on it to keep it safe?
>>
>>7281868

You cure bacon for 14 days? Seems like overdoing it pham, although I do like dat 22 hour smoke.

Personally I cure bacon for 4 days, and I get fatter berkshire pigs the belly meat is usually closer to 2 inches.
>>
>>7281882
You can't over cure if you do by wieght measurements. I do 2% salt and 1.5% maple sugar by weight and nitrates@ 154ppm

>>7281878
good luck, wont taste anything like bacon without cure, also you cant cold smoke or store for long periods withour death
>>
>>7281900
>wont taste anything like bacon without cure
thats what im afraid of. I have three bags of wet cure with just normal salt etc in the fridge now trying a few variations. the problem is that we eat a high fat diet, so the quality of the fat is the key here. pumping prague #1 onto things takes some of the fun out of the health factor. Bacon isnt going to last long enough to matter on preservation, other than to keep it safe during the cure, which is why i only have #1.
>>
>>7281900

Ah perhaps I should clarify, I don't have a lot of space for curing this is what the racks look like most of the time, hence why I cure it a bit less.
>>
If you're going to follow someone's curing recipe, make sure the person who made it knows what they're talking about. Get informed about proper curing techniques and pay attention to the instructions given on the cure you're using. Always veer to the side of caution, and trust your nose. If the meat seems off, I don't care how much it cost and how much work went into it, you pitch it.

Get real familiar with the biology of botulism. It's kind of a big deal. Cured meats that you cook are less of a danger since heat will kill off most of the nasties, but what heat WILL NOT do is denature the botulinum toxin in improperly cured meat.

Curing correctly really isn't that hard, but doing it wrong kills people. Just be smart and you'll be turning out glorious nitrate infused meats in no time.
>>
>>7281755
> duck is meme food
> stops drinking wine because fashion
> not appreciating the flavour of lamb
Can't decide if your more pleb or sheep
>>
>>7281921

Nitrates are really the only way to get the real mccoy. They're what give cured meat the characteristic pink color and flavor. It's really only safe to brine with just salt for a relatively short period, and it doesn't really cure the meat. Without nitrates you're just going to get salty and potentially toxic meat that doesn't taste a whole lot like bacon.
>>
File: 20151219_170233-1 - Copy.jpg (523 KB, 1133x895) Image search: [Google]
20151219_170233-1 - Copy.jpg
523 KB, 1133x895
>>7281921
it will probably be good, but the taste will be far from what you're used to bacon being like. I wouldn't attempt a long cure with just salt too.

>>7281922
looks good bruh, here's some ham I did for the holidays. Took like 35 days if I remember
>>
>>7281936

He's joking!
>>
File: boiled bacon- removes nitrites.png (2 MB, 1576x821) Image search: [Google]
boiled bacon- removes nitrites.png
2 MB, 1576x821
I am going for a quick wet cure, 3 days in the fridge. I am basically using salt, apple cider and black pepper. One of the variations has some molasses, and another with a fancy liquid smoke. Most of what i read say the smoke will not overcome the lack of nitrites, as far as flavor goes. I appreciate the thoughts on it from you experienced folks.

We got in the habit of boiling off a lot of the garbage from the cheap supermarket bacon, and it hopefully has us conditioned to prefer a more 'bland' form. ill report back as the experimentation continues, i have 2 sides and 1 full belly to use, so i have some iterations to figure something out.
>>
>>7281716
Curing pork belly doesn't make bacon u shitlord. It makes pancetta. Smoking it makes bacon.
>>
File: gofus.jpg (41 KB, 680x396) Image search: [Google]
gofus.jpg
41 KB, 680x396
>>7282122
>Curing pork belly doesn't make bacon u shitlord
i will keep in mind that a mouth breathing 400lb autistic jackass would prefer that i call my bacon some faggy italian name because i didnt smoke it. Tell ya what, if you can catch me, ill call it pancotta.
>>
>>7281755
You obviously have an appalling lack of distinction and class. Disgusting.
>>
>>7281784
No one is going to give you a bacon cure recipe, because you're a dick.
I happen to have a fantastic one, which I've used many times, from a famous farm, but fuck you, anon. Assholes don't get help here.
>>
File: 1452499750427.jpg (263 KB, 1258x1078) Image search: [Google]
1452499750427.jpg
263 KB, 1258x1078
>>7282731
it has sugar in it if its commercial, i don't want it. my lip is a-quiver from your harsh rebuke
>>
>>7282122
>Curing pork belly doesn't make bacon

That's exactly what bacon is, you colossal retard.
>>
>>7282740
It's a fucking recipe you goddamn retard, not a premade cure. God, you have the IQ of a turnip.
>>
>this fucking thread
it's like /b/ with all the name calling.
>>
File: 1382918975722.jpg (193 KB, 500x417) Image search: [Google]
1382918975722.jpg
193 KB, 500x417
>>7281657
>using a teflon pan to cook meat
>>
>>7281657
grey bacon? the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>7282805
when you cook good bacon/pork belly/panacotta and you want to improve the nutrition profile, you cook it low and slow to avoid formation of nitrosamines. I have no shame in cooking in a teflon pan when i am slow rendering pork fat on med-low (300-325).

. One study “showed no evidence of nitrosamines in bacon fried at 210 °F for 10 minutes (rare), 210 °F for 15 minutes (medium well), 275 °F for 10 minutes (very light), or 275 °F for 30 minutes (medium well). But when bacon was fried at 350 °F for 6 minutes (medium well), 400 °F for 4 minutes (medium well), or 400 °F for 10 minutes (burned), some nitrosamines were found.
>>
>>7283013
Can you explain your delusion that a teflon pan magically keeps the temperature down? Because if anything they are much more prone to hot spots than a heavy cast iron pan.
>improve the nutrition profile
This doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
File: f97FHpu.png (141 KB, 296x317) Image search: [Google]
f97FHpu.png
141 KB, 296x317
>make a thread asking how to make bacon
>quickly becomes a flurry of criticism, arguing, and oneupsmanship

Every time.
>>
>>7282805
>>7283072

What's wrong with teflon pans?
>>
>>7283158
Nothing, but every tool has its application and this is not one of them. And since op is being an uptight faggot I'm choosing to hurl abuse at him in return.
>>
>>7283158
The chemical name for Teflon is polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), and it contains an entire set of fluorine-containing compounds called Fluoropolymers, (which are generally toxic) and are the reason that foods don't stick. This combination has been used commercially since the 1940s.

Another potential problem with nonstick cookware comes from a chemical used in making Teflon called perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), as it has been linked to cancer in laboratory animals, and possible connections to elevated cholesterol, thyroid disease, and reduced fertility. PFOA has come under scrutiny by the EPA because the chemical has shown up in samples of people’s blood, which is concerning because PFOA lasts a long time in both people and the surrounding environment.

Also there was an increase in prostate cancer in PFOA plant workers, and other studies have also found evidence of birth defects in babies from PFOA-exposed workers. In 1981, two out of seven women who worked at a plant that manufactures non-stick cookware gave birth to babies with birth defects. The manufacturers then moved 50 women workers at the plant to reduce their exposure to PFOA.

MERIKA
>>
>>7283072
i have a gas range and that is a nice pan with a big thick bottom. for 100$ paypal, i will go down there and record a video of me using a surface temp thermometer to show you that the temperature is well below the 392 degrees that pyrolysis is detectable. Please settle down, let me know if you want to wire me the money. Also, why didnt you just stop posting when you realized i wasnt "cooking meat" at high searing temps. jackass.

>>7283153
seriously. at least a couple of hearty lumberjacks gave me some good advice on the flavor profile earlier in this thread. clearly the "schools out MLK day" crowd is the wrong day to make a reasonable thread.
>>
>>7283191
>i have a gas range
Wow! A real gas range? Amazing! Fucking idiot.
>that is a nice pan with a big thick bottom
No, that is an adcraft brand aluminum pan, perfectly serviceable but still will have more hot spots than a heavy cast iron pan.
>for 100$ paypal
Maybe your craigslist johns offer you that much for sucking them off, but no, not in this reality
>you realized i wasnt "cooking meat" at high searing temps
It doesn't matter, it's still not the idea tool for the job.
>clearly the "schools out MLK day" crowd is the wrong day to make a reasonable thread.
Maybe you should look at the successful cooking threads by people like FF and others who don't behave like /b/tards and then wonder why people aren't being nice in return
>>
>>7283216
you are a big meanie and i hope your dog gets run over by a savage white van
>>
>>7283216
pay up or shuddup
>>
File: pan.jpg (185 KB, 1382x931) Image search: [Google]
pan.jpg
185 KB, 1382x931
>>7283216
>No, that is an adcraft brand aluminum pan,
Well, C- for effort. pic related.
>>
>>7281731
I'll take my kobe well done and ketchup and A1 on the side.
>>
>>7283153
don't get mad, it was OP who went out of his way to create a shitstorm of arguing and oneupsmanship. he could have avoided it if he wanted to, but he fucking fanned the flames.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.