[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pressure Vs Slow cooking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: photo_13.jpg (54 KB, 330x226) Image search: [Google]
photo_13.jpg
54 KB, 330x226
Is there really any point in purchasing a pressure cooker over a slowcooker, if the reduced cooking time of a PC is not a huge benefit? I know you can do stuff like canning in PC but I don't need that either.
>>
>i have no need for thing
>is there any point in purchasing thing?
>>
pressure canner can be a pressure cooker but not the other way around

slow cooking and pressure cooking are basically opposites

what do you want to do with it?
>>
>>7281410
>is there any other benefits of thing I am unaware of?

I had to spell that out for you.
>>
pressure cooker is a great deal more energy efficient than slow cooker and can do stuff slow cooker can't do like browning plus why would you not see reduced cooking time as a benefit
>>
>>7281383
Well a slow cooker and a pressure cooker do completely different things. A slow cooker as the name suggests cooks slowly tenderising meats, softening everything in it and infusing flavours. A pressure cooker does the exact opposite, it cooks things extremely fast using pressure to get deep within the food. Retention of shape, moisture and all round composition of the food is the primary use for a pressure cooker.

Sure you can use an oven instead of a pressure cooker. That being said you can also just chuck shit on a stove top or oven on lower heat for a long time.

They are both "useless" in that you can probably use what you have to make their recipes, but they are a convenience appliance. Get which one you need or want. If you really want to buy something though buy a thermomix or one like it, they're pretty great once you figure out how to use them.
>>
>>7281383
Time is basically the main reason pressure cookers exist. They simply raise the boiling point of water so that food will cook faster. A slow cooker will accomplish the same thing.

Both processes will break down tough meats. Both will make a good stew.

Reasons I use my PC more than my SCs:
-Speed. I'm too paranoid to leave the house with a slow cooker on. My pets will find a way into it. The PC only ties me down for about an hour on most things.
-It leaves my slow cookers free for side dishes
-It performs better on braised meats
-It has a browning function which means I can also deglaze it
-Visitors think the quick release steam is wizardry
-It has no cooking smell until you release the pressure. Keeps me from drooling all day like when an SC is running
-If there are guests around, I don't lose all of my heat when some jackass opens the lid to have a sniff. This can add hours to a slow cooker's cook time. Keep that lid fucking closed.
>>
>>7281451
>A pressure cooker does the exact opposite, it cooks things extremely fast using pressure to get deep within the food
to be precise, higher pressure = water boils at higher temperature so shorter cooking time, the pressure doesnt do anything to the food itself
>>
>>7281460
Actually that is wrong and somewhat narrow minded. The pressure forces liquids and moisture into the food which also allows the food to cook quicker. Pressure is an important factor in certain foods, take rice for example; some rices need to be cooked at appropriate pressures to be cooked properly.
>>
>>7281466
Please, describe this magical rice that has been cooked by indigenous people in clay pots for centuries as it was developed through selective planting into a staple food that requires a modern cooking process.

When you raise pressure in a close environment, you raise the pressure equally on everything inside. Since the pressure inside of your food, and inside the rest of the cooker is equal, nothing is forced anywhere.

And assuming physics worked that way, are you implying the the extra 500% cooking time in the slow cooker will not allow liquids to penetrate the food?

If you open your mind too far, your brain could fall out.
>>
>>7281466
Such as what rice?
>>
>>7281466
i have never heard of that and the only google result i could find that claimed this was a momscience cooking blog

regardless of whether this is true or not, what i said is definitely not "wrong". the increased temperature of steam inside the pot is the (main) reason pressure cookers work
>>
>>7281485
Well it is wrong in that you said that pressure does nothing to the food.

>>7281473
Most rices, like Sasanishiki. Also properly could be changed to well but you catch my drift.

>>7281472
Who pissed in your corn flakes you fedora tipper?

>magical rice... cooked by indigenous people in clay pots for centuries... modern cooking process

Cooking under pressure is not a modern process.

>The rest of your autistic shitpost

Yes, but you are missing the simple part where you are not only putting water in a pressure cooker. The steam disperses the pressure equally into something like a grain of rice which in turn is forcing water molecules into the grain.

The foods bonds are weakened by both the thermal motion and the bombardment of water molecules.

You have to be confused because your post reads like someone who thinks that I'm suggesting that you are cooking with pressure ALONE. If I said that I would have said go drive over your fucking bag of rice to cook it. Jesus Christ you are mental. I shouldn't even have to bring heat into this, it is literally part of the definition of cooking.

"Cooking: the practice or skill of preparing food by combining, mixing, and heating ingredients"

Someone didn't get their chicken tendies for dinner.
>>
>Slow cooker
Hello reddit.
>>
>>7281466
>higher pressure = water boils at higher temperature
>NO IS WRONG
Retard
>>
>>7281561
My point is that the pressure's only purpose is to make water boil at a higher temp, thus produce a hotter steam. You keep using the word "force". It is completely in accurate. That's not what is happening.

The only question I'm really asking is what fucking rice are you talking about that requires pressure to prepare.

And you are correct. I didn't have my tendies. I had tacos barbacoa from my pressure cooker.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.