[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: foods that should never be cooked at home and be left to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: img_40462.jpg (571 KB, 1936x1288) Image search: [Google]
img_40462.jpg
571 KB, 1936x1288
ITT: foods that should never be cooked at home and be left to experts

pic related , its birria (goat stew)
>>
>>7281191
ya te vi mi tapatio, are you from guadalajara?
>>
File: sushi.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
sushi.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>
pizza
cheesesteaks
some mexican foods
sushi
BBQ if you don't have a smoker
>>
File: downs.png (254 KB, 399x385) Image search: [Google]
downs.png
254 KB, 399x385
>>7281204
>>7281207
>making sushi
>difficult
>>
>>7281195
Haha no but my dad lives near Guadalajara.but man , jaliscienses take pride in their birria! Was looking around town for lamb birria while I was gdl and was given a lecture on how it is only made with goat and on a clay pot. Great stuff though.
>>
>>7281191
what's so special about a goat stew that it couldn't be made at home?
>>
>>7281229
It may not be difficult but it really is a hassle to do especially if you're not used to making sushi. There's a reason why sushi bars are set up the way that they are.
>Need sticky/left-over rice that would be useless for almost anything else besides sushi
>Need raw fish that would need to be left out of the fridge for more than a few minutes
>Have to eat all the sushi almost immediately after making it

It's just not worth it to make sushi, even if it is fucking expensive in restaurants.
>>
File: image.jpg (221 KB, 1077x1142) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221 KB, 1077x1142
>>7281191
Triple Chs
>>
>ITT: dishes that you shouldnt try to do when you can't cook
>>
>>7281229
i bet your homemade weeb sushi tastes like ass
>>
>>7281533
Its a GOAT dish that can only be perfected by GOAT chefs
>>
>>7281204
Well, if you go straight for the fancy shit with no training, of course it'll suck.

May I suggest something simple like inari?
>>
>>7281207
>pizza
>cheesesteaks
>sushi

pls be joking
>>
Pho
I'm going to agree with pizza. It's nearly impossible to re-create a dope NY slice of pizza at home. You need special ovens n shit.
Gyro meat or whatever you call it
>>
File: noggler.jpg (11 KB, 247x250) Image search: [Google]
noggler.jpg
11 KB, 247x250
>>7282175
You are actually clinically retarded aren't you?
>special ovens and shit
>Gyro meat
>or whatever you call it
>>
>>7282175
who in their right mind would make pho over eating it at a joiint?
>>
>>7283575
Vietnamese people and people who actually know how to make it.
>>
>>7281191
Christ, learn how to pour soup into a fucking bowl you savages.
>>
>>7282175
I read this imaging him pronouncing it jai-ro
>>
>>7282193
not OP, but he's fucking right. your oven doesn't get hot enough nor does it have bricks on the bottom for efficient heat conduction and retention, fuckwit
>>
>>7283584
>calls stewed meat a soup

fucking lel.
>>
>>7283692
Not that guy, but that's literally how it's pronounced in English. I doubt you pronounce it correctly in the proper Greek, so shut the fuck up, you pretentious little faggot.
>>
>>7285795
it's pronounced jee-ruh, and it's not pretentiousness, it's not being a retard.

it's like mispronouncing Pizza as Pie-za, that's how retarded you sound when you mispronounce Gyro
>>
I wouldn't there is anything that should never be cooked at home, especially if you want to become a better cook. There are things that are a hassle if you aren't cooking for a group or even just for yourself. Burritos for one, I cook mexican food sometimes but a decent burrito calls for too many individual items when the point is really to mash them all together for a convenient meal.
>>
>>7281207
Eh...I don't make a lot of sushi at home, but I do make a lot of sashimi. I live close to a sashimi grade fish market, so I'll buy a small chunk of hamachi and small chunk or otoro or aji (if they have it) and some uni, along with shiso leaves, and pickled wasabi, and go home, thinly slice some lemon, and go at it. But yeah, you can't buy more than you can eat in one day.
>>
>>7281207
>pizza
>cheesesteaks
What? I understand the pizza if you don't have a pizza pan, but that alone makes it much easier. I prefer a pampered chef pizza stone.
>>
>>7285774
>suggesting that stews and soups aren't extremely related dishes
>>
>>7281191
Also waiting for an explanation as to why a goat stew is so incredibly difficult I shouldn't attempt it at home.
>>
waffles, according to ja/ck/
>>
>>7282193
He's right tho. Home ovens don't get hot enough. Unless you're a total pizza autist and/or well enough off to have a brick oven at your place.
>>
>>7281207
Umm pizza is a pretty easy one
>>
>>7286704
>thinking stewed meat=stew

Give up shitbrain! you only embarrass yourself!
>>
>>7285813
>Still wrong
Would it help if I explained it is gyros not gyro
>>
>>7282175
I read this imaging him pronouncing it foe
>>
>>7286966
oh wow! you're even more autistic than I am.

congrats anon.
>>
>>7281207
I don't understand the controversy. The number of contrarian faggots replying to you is hilarious. It's one of the reasons I keep coming back to /ck/. This board has more butthurt than any other.

I like to do barbecue at home, but I agree with you anyways.

I'm going to suggest burgers. I want fries and I can't be bothered to deep fry. I don't see the point in having potato chips. I also like lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, cheese, mayonnaise, mustard as toppings. Most of it I already have, but I'm not going to buy a head of lettuce and bag of buns. I just want one fucking burger. Not eight.

Same with barbecue. I don't want pulled pork and ribs 7 days a week no matter how nice that might sound.
>>
>>7281191
My mom does a great pork stew. I guess the only difference between both is controlling the flavor, apart from the obvious cooking time. However, that's just common sence
>>
>>7281655
>>Need sticky/left-over rice that would be useless for almost anything else besides sushi
Sure, the rice (and nori) are kind of single-purpose ingredients but we have enough space in the kitcehn for them
>>Need raw fish that would need to be left out of the fridge for more than a few minutes
This is the only difficult bit; getting decent sushi fish entails a special trip to the arse end of Kingston for us.
>>Have to eat all the sushi almost immediately after making it
You say that like it's a hardship. Worst case, if there is an excess of rice left over you can make some oh niggery for breakfast the next morning.
>>
Stuffed camel
http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/camel.asp
>>
>>7287006
...you live alone, eh? Sad,
>>
>>7287006
try having friends
>>
>>7287006
>Not making 8 burgers for the next few days to eat

Found the pleb
>>
>>7281655
I usually make so much rice it lasts for 2 days. When i'm out of fish, i just press the rice into balls and wrap it in nori, and eat it as a snack/breakfast/etc the next day. And it taste just as delicious 24 hours later. I may even brew some rice wine if i have yeast lying around.

Fite me
>>
boipussy
>>
File: cool guy approves.jpg (56 KB, 349x466) Image search: [Google]
cool guy approves.jpg
56 KB, 349x466
>>7281191
fuck mayn that looks dank bh
>>
>>7281191
>left to the expert
How do you become an expert if you never try it yourself? check mate retard
>>
>>7281738
i like dat chs plz
>>
Very little. The real question is what should be left to experts if you aren't willing to go the distance (unless, say, using a smoker to make BBQ makes you an expert, for example)
>>
>>7287006
You don't have a freezer?

>cooked bbq freezes
>hamburger buns freeze
>extra patties freeze
>extra ground beef for tacos
>lettuce on tacos

You can also buy lettuce by the pound at your grocery store's salad bar.
>>
>>7281191
estas exagerando, la birria la hacen en todos lados en el norte, en casas o en restoranes y sale bien.
>>
>>7282121
>>7282193
>>7286696
>>7286794
fucking casuals.

even if you have homemade dough, sauce, and primo toppings, your home oven can't reach the same temperatures as a brick oven (600-700 F). the high temperature is what makes pizza unique from other oven-baked dishes, especially the way the crust is cooked. ill grant that your homemade dough, slow-cooked sauce and premium toppings baked in a home oven will be better than little ceasars, but it still won't approach the results achieved with a brick oven. a pizza pan or pizza stone can't mimic the effect of high heat. im ashamed to be posting on the same forum as idiots like you
>>
>>7289625
>if you aren't willing to go the distance
I think this is the key phrase. There are tons of things that you can only make/only make well with special equipment, and generally that special equipment isn't nearly worth it unless you're going to get serious about it.

>>7290041
>Says he's ashamed to be posting on the same forum as idiots
>Doesn't understand the difference between temperature and heat transfer
Irony
>>
>>7290068
explain in detail how a set up wtith a conventional home oven that can transfer heat at the same rate as a brick oven at 700F and i will concede the point.
>>
>>7290041

Listen you stupid fuck. My oven and BBQ can reach 900 F. I cook homemade pizza all the time and it tastes better than shitty takeout you cocky, arrogant, autistic twat.
>>
>>7281204
Basic sushi is not that difficult, only takes time and right ingredients and preparation. Make it look presentable is another thing
I've made a sushi with some friends for a proyect back in highschool (we had to make a report about sintoism and some general japanese culture), took us a lot of time to made them, like 4 or 5 hours
>>
File: mfw.gif (1 MB, 303x307) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
1 MB, 303x307
>>7287106
>raw fish
that was the biggest hurdle for me, no idea where to begin to find decent fish for sushi around here
>>
>>7290194
Salmon is the most common one on sushi recipes
>>
>>7290177
i already said you can do better than shitty takeout in the very post you quoted, you cocky, arrogant, autistic twat. not everyone's oven can reach 900F. please die in a fire. hopefully one started when youre so drunk you forgot you put in pork belly
>>
Dry aging steaks. Impossible unless you buy an entire room for that shit. Also in the same vein, making good peking duck without a hung oven thingy.
>>
>>7282037
>Use same exact ingredients
>Arrange them in the exact same way
>No cooking or other preparation apart from combining ingredients

It might not look as pretty, but it'll taste the same.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.