[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I need American recipes. This summer, I will be having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 16
Hey guys, I need American recipes.
This summer, I will be having a Japanese exchange student coming to stay at my house, and they want to try traditional American food. Please grace me with your gift of cooking
>>
>>7280547
Burger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgx2Ytqueo8
>>
>>7280547
Put some good, thin-sliced cheddar cheese on that bitch.

Also, make some mac n' cheese.
>>
>>7280554
Of course a burger you nub
>>
This is what I think of as traditional American fare:

> Hamburgers.

Beef patty with a piece of bread (usually a special type called a 'hamburger bun', google it) on each side, often garnished with ketchup, mustard and cheese.

> Hotdogs.

A pork-based frankfurter served in a roll, usually with any number of condiments like ketchup, mustard, relish, or veggies like sauerkraut or dill pickle.

> Freedom Fries

A variation on the 'French Fry,' a potato-based dish where the vegetable is cut into thin slices and cooked in oil. The American version of this dish typically involves thinner slices than the European version; hence 'freedom fries,' the freedom meaning that they come from the 'land' of the free.

> Barbequed Steak

A cut of lamb, often seasoned with salt and pepper, heated over an open flame. Local folklore has it that a charcoal-based flame is preferable to a gas-based flame.

> Freedom Pizza

A variant on the Italian pizza that is typically doughier, cheesier and meatier than the original.

> Chili Con Carne

Otherwise known as simply 'chili,' a highly complex dish whose key ingredients include beef, tomatoes and kidney beans.
>>
take about as much beef as you would use to make a meet ball. Flatten it. Fry it up, no oil needed. Flip it after five minutes and fry for another five minutes, with a slice of cheese on top.
>Cheddar tastes like wax when hot, use something else like american, swiss or provolone
Once its finished, put in a bun with a bit of mayo, lettuce, tomato and a pickle. I really suggest finding japanese mayo or Dukes if your in the south.

Serve with cole slaw.
>>
This is going to sound crazy, but its fucking awesome.
>grill up a quarter pound beef patty
>fry up some bacon
>fry up a sunny side egg in the bacon greese
place in this order
>bottom bun
>blackberry jam
>beef patty
>american cheese
>bacon
>thin slices purple onion
>egg
>top bun
>>
>>7280547
Mesquite smoked chicken

1 whole chicken

Rub: 2 tsp sea salt, 1.5 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp oregano, .5 tsp cayenne, .25 tsp all spice. Use this ratio and make as much as you need, and you WILL need more.

Injection: 1 cup of apple juice with 1 tbsp of rub

prep: Day 1 - spatchcock the chicken, apply olive oil as binder, and apply rub generously to all exposed areas of the chicken. Cover, and place in fridge overnight. Heat up apple juice and toss in your tbs of rub, stir to blend in all the flavors, take off heat, cool, place in fridge over night.

Day 2 - start your smoker and get it up to 275 - 300 deg F. Pull out your chicken and injection. Inject the breasts, thighs, and drumsticks. Apply another layer of rub to all exposed areas. Place bird in smoker with enough mesquite to flavor, but not over power the bird. Place drip pan below bird with 1 cup of injection, and enough water to last throughout the cook. Cook at 275-300degF until breast is 160 and thigh is 170, which should be about 2-3 hours. Once temp is reached, pull bird and rest. Pull drippings pan and use as a dip, and reduce in a sauce pan as desired.

Serve with desired sides, but I'd recommend a vinegar slaw and cornbread.

Watch out for cops as they might try to arrest you for making criminally delicious chicken. Between the rub, the great mesquite flavor, and the moisture of the meat due to the slow cook and injection, your Jap guests may never want to leave.
>>
>>7280712
btw, only one or two onion wheels, no more than two. Shit will make the jam taste bad if there is too much. Or fry it up in the egg/bacon greese for 2-3 minutes.
>>
>>7280547
Take them to panda express or taco bell.
>>
>>7280712
Sounds pretty standard, other than the blackberry jam. Also, purple onions? I know they're purple, but they're called red.
>>
>>7280742
I call them purple because that shit aint red.
>>
>>7280754
Yeah, well fuck you.
>>
slice up two carrots thin, not too thin
chop up two stalks of celery
chop two potatos into chunks as big as your celery
finely chop 1/2 yellow onion
boil 1-1.5 pounds of chicken in three quarts of chicken broth
>shred chicken
Boil egg noodles in the chicken broth with carrots, celery, tbsp basil, tbsp oregano, 2 tsp salt and if you want to, half cup of milk.

keep on a low boil for 30 minutes.

If you really want to be fancy, add two bay leaves.
>>
>>7280547
Biscuits and gravy.

Into a bowl:

2 cups flour.
2 tbsp. baking powder.
1 tsp. salt.
2. tbsp. light brown sugar.

Whisk.

Add 1/4 cup of very cold butter cut into small pieces. With a fork, two knives, or your fingers, press the butter into the dough until it's broken into smaller clumps. If you use your fingers, work quickly so it doesn't melt much.

Add just under a cup of cold buttermilk. Mix until it comes together, then turn onto a floured board. It'll be sticky. Pat it out and kneed it maybe once. Get 3/4 inch thickness evened out. Cut by pressing straight down into the dough with a round cutter or a floured glass. Don't twist it or anything.

Set them on a greased baking sheet so that they're barely touching and bake them at 425 for 10-12 minutes.

For the gravy, brown up a pound of breakfast sausage in a saucepan, breaking it into small pieces with a spatula. Turn the heat down to medium-low. Then add 1/3 a cup of flour a small amount at a time. Coat the sausage evenly with about half of it, then stir until it's no longer visible, and add more bit by bit. Let this cook for a minute or two more, then slowly add 3 or 4 cups of whole milk, stirring as you do. Cook this for about 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and a good amount of pepper.
>>
File: American cuisine.jpg (46 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
American cuisine.jpg
46 KB, 533x400
>>7280547
>>
Just warning you in advance they probably wont like 80% of American food, unless its exactly like western food they have had in Japan like Hamburgers.

American food has different spices, flavor profiles, moisture levels, and textures than they are used to. Unless they are a westaboo it probably wont be enjoyable for them.

The biggest offender will like be dry, tough textures so try to avoid them like the plague. I have noticed most Japanese savory dishes have a high level of moisture or fat content.

If it were me I would stick to desserts (but not overly-sweet) and meats with Asian inspired sauces. Bland food is pretty prevalent in America so avoid that as well.
>>
poutine
>>
>>7280971
Biscuits and gravy? Aren't those scones?
>>
>>7281021
Scones are drier. Biscuits are light, airy, and moist.
>>
>>7280554
that chicken looks fucking shit
>>
>>7281030
No.
>>
>>7280547
fried stuff with cheese
>>
Make them some deep fried sushi.
>>
Hey Op, ex diner and Dennys cook here. Asians are fasinated with big steaks and large portions of meat and proteins as a whole. A couple things popular wth asians when I was cooking
>t-bone and eggs with hashbrowns and toast. Steak rare, eggs sunny, toast dry
>roas turkey dinner. Turney on stuffing with sweet potatoes, green beans cran sauce and cornbread
>Bacon slamburger. This is a Dennys one, two burger patties combined into one giant one, sunny side up egg, hashbrowns, nacho cheese sauce and toasted bun
>Lumberjack. 2 eggs sunny, 2 sausage, 2 bacon, ham slice, hash browns, 2 pancakes, toast
>>
File: 1360044141107.jpg (346 KB, 962x722) Image search: [Google]
1360044141107.jpg
346 KB, 962x722
>>7280547
Food for the free
>>
>>7280547

fried chicken

>make chicken eight
>flour into oil
>gold
>>
>>7281334
I second this
>>
>>7281030

Scones are moist like a cake you retard
>>
>>7280976
DESIGNATED
>>
Take him to a BBQ restaurant. I'm sure you know this already but to them BBQ is just thin sliced, marinated grilled meat. I think he would enjoy some good beef brisket or pork ribs
>>
>>7282466
BBQ isn't traditional American food.
>>
>>7281334
Rip stuffed crust pizza
>>
>>7282470
Really it is. If you want to get technical there is no cuisine born here unless you count natives
>>
>>7280778
What exactly is the end result of this? Is it some kind of shredded chicken soup? If so, why not cube the chicken?
>>
>>7280691
>whose key ingredients include beef, tomatoes and kidney beans.
>tomatoes and kidney beans
RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I WILL BEAT YOU LIKE A REDHEADED STEPCHILD.
>>
File: danglingontheedge.jpg (63 KB, 500x405) Image search: [Google]
danglingontheedge.jpg
63 KB, 500x405
>>7280719
>onion wheels
>>
Nothing says Amdrican like southern cooking. Take them out for some BBQ and Gumbo.
>>
>>7282848
the end result is you are a faggot
>>
>>7282419
oh god
>>
>>7280547
Frito Pie
Hamburger helper
boston creme pie

stuff like that will make him your boyfriend
>>
File: hank hill.jpg (42 KB, 599x451) Image search: [Google]
hank hill.jpg
42 KB, 599x451
>>7283582
>Frito Pie
You'd better be using Wolf Brand Chili.
>>
>>7283582
What the fuck is a frito pie
>>
Make sure they try some decent barbecue as well as creole food like gumbo and etouffee.
>>
>>7280547
If you aren't a couple of fags, how about some Chicago style pizza pie, a fine Californian grape vintage, and Titanic or Avatar with your pic for desert cuddling on the couch?
>Homegrown fruit
>>
File: 1267668483512.jpg (53 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1267668483512.jpg
53 KB, 450x600
>>7284427
fffffff
>>
>>7282470
>I have no clue what I'm talking about but I'll post my bullshit anyways.
>>
>>7280547
Take him to some of those korean run sushi restaurants.
>>
The japs ive hosted....

I always welcome them with a nice usda prime steak .

Always take them to a bbq festival or bbq a pig.

I also take them shooting. And if they are here in the fall and If they are of the temperment. I take them deer hunting. Ill take a doe and if we see one ill let them take a buck over 6pts.

Gut clean and cook it.

one guy took a nice 10 point that i had taxidermied and then sent to him.

I will always take them to a baseball game/ basket ball game.
>>
>>7280547
once hosted japanese students and fed them the most american of all foods, mexican food.
>>
>>7280559
Oh fuck yes
>>
>>7280547

Sloppy Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3eFn22VwYE

Tom Jeffersons mac and cheese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coYqrXsDPdU

coleslaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDVsn7lb_gc

find them a place to take them for Pizza, Hamburgers(dont make them yourself take them to a good restaurant/specialty place) Burrito(tell them its like mexican american sushi)

etc.

Basically all you have to do is not take them out for Japanese.
>>
>>7280547
Isn't there a McD around the corner or something?
>>
>>7285054
rot slowly
>>
>>7282855
>RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You are the normalest of the normalfags.

On topic, sandwiches.
The PBJ seems to confuse and amaze foreigners. A properly made turkey club still impresses the poors. A decent Ruben will blw their fucking minds.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phrr9_eHr7s
>>
File: 08-King-of-Hill-Hank_l.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
08-King-of-Hill-Hank_l.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
>>7280691
>a charcoal-based flame is preferable to a gas-based flame.
>>
File: somekindatostada.jpg (60 KB, 642x428) Image search: [Google]
somekindatostada.jpg
60 KB, 642x428
im mexican-american. what do american families usually eat? we usually had tacos, tostadas, enchiladas, gorditas, flautas, ect.

i asked my mom to cook meatloaf once since i kept seeing it on tv. 1/10 never again.
>>
>>7284687
>everyone always goes on about how chef john is so great
>look up his recipe because i don't want to sit through a 5 minute narrated video
>expecting an interesting recipe because it's THOMAS JEFFERSON!
>"3-4 cups of cheese or whatever"
>basic recipe with some thyme in it
you'll end up with different amount every time you measure cheese this way. it'd be like a professional baker giving you flour measurement in cups instead of weight.
>>
>>7286359
Meatloaf is maximum comfort food when done properly.

OP if you want American stuff just grill whatever. Grilled steak. Grilled chicken. Grilled zucchini.
>>
>>7287009
Meatloaf is disgusting. Just accept it newfriend
>>
>>7287009
Meatloaf is gross. I don't understand how anyone can stomach that.
>>
>>7287838
>>7287909
I like using it in sandwiches.
>>
>>7284552
Those are always really good things to do for Jap visitors. Show them a good bit of America they can't get at home. I bet they feel really bad ass and confident at home when they brag to their friends and coworkers that they have hunted with a REAL gun.
>>
Make sure you get them a proper pizza. Also a thanksgiving style dinner one night might not be a bad idea since I don't think turkey is easy to come by in Japan. Also don't forget soul food, creole, cajun, hamburgers, good BBQ, steak, and various tex-mex foods. Maybe try making them bananas foster or an apple pie for dessert once or something.
>>
>>7287838
>>7287909

you gaylords obviously have never had good meatloaf... or i just got doubletrolled
>>
>>7280547
Which part of the country are you in?
>>
>>7286359
Meatloaf is good. Your mom just sucks
>>
File: 1404953154423.jpg (76 KB, 500x552) Image search: [Google]
1404953154423.jpg
76 KB, 500x552
>>7280691
> Chili Con Carne
> A Highly complex dish
>>
>>7284552
That's real nice - I love the idea of taking mild mannered Japanese people to shoot guns
>>
>>7290782
>entire post is in a sarcastic tone
>being serious about the chili part
>>
>>7284552
That's beautiful. I adore the gun laws in Japan since you have to take your guns to the range consistently to own them. That's pretty legit. But there's hardly any good hunting there.

You're doing good work anon. This anon approves.
>>
>>7280985
My Japanese friend liked most of the food he tried while here. He especially enjoyed BBQ brisket and greasy spoon drive-thru Mexican food. He naturally was blown away by the steaks here, too, although more for size/price ratio than anything else.
>>
Meatloaf with a side of cock
>>
Get some smoked BBQ going. Ribs and things spiced and slow cooked.
>>
File: 1431246967118.png (338 KB, 575x640) Image search: [Google]
1431246967118.png
338 KB, 575x640
>>7280547
>American recipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCHi6PFJPqE
>>
File: deep fried butter.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
deep fried butter.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>7280547
Deep-fried butter ON A STICK is probably the most American thing out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUJjW3I65e4
>>
>six month student exchange to japan in HS a while ago
>their english textbook had an exercise on how to politely say you can't eat any more when served a mountain of food every meal
>>
>>7281021
I prefer simple drop biscuits when I make biscuits and gravy
>>
>>7280976
No pajeet, changing the file name won't stop you from getting shitposted.
>>
>>7280559
Neither of those are American.
>>
>>7292366
That sounds absolutely disgusting
>>
Frito Pie

Seems odd, but its great.

Its chili, with fritos and cheese. However you don't add the second two things until you're ready to eat, in order to retain crunch factor.
>>
Apparently deep fried pickles are a thing.You like get pickles, and fry them.
>>
>>7280971
>2 cups flour

Use White Lily flour if you can find it. It's the best biscuit flour, bar none.
>>
>>7280547
>Traditional american food
Cook english food but actually season it. Oysters and the like I guess too.
>>
>>7280691
You're a brit!
>>
>>7292366
Fuck me m8, please tell me this is not a regularly consumed thing
>>
If you'll have a Midwestern state fair nearby, you should take the student there to see the plebbiest of pleb American monstrosities. That's where fads like deep fried butter on a stick typically start out. A big art fair or other events sometimes have enough food booths you can get a few of the same things, but there's nothing like state fairs for undeniably and uniquely American food.
>>
>>7282412
Biscuits are a buttery quickbread roll. Imagine Irish soda bread but with butter and formed into rolls.
>>
>>7280547

Corndogs

Reuben sandwich

Clam chowder

Badadoes:
mashed
fried
baked
roasted
cold/salad

Pasta salad

Guns

BBQ (grilled or baked with sauce)

Frito pie?

Chili dog

Caesar salad... kinda

Club sandwich

French dip/beef on weck

Popcorn

Apple pie w/ cheddar

Red velvet cake

German chocolate cake

Biscuits and gravy

Buffalo wings

...and the rest.
Sounds like a pleb list, but all of them can be done patrician like.
There's better American food, but I would expect to find most of these dishes available at restaurants across the states.
>>
Get some bbq recipes.

https://youtu.be/gWKOUxF-Dso
>>
>>7297240
it's one of those things that nobody eats outside of fairs, for novelty reasons
like deep-fried twinkies or funnel cake
>>
>>7280547
I mean make the ones dumbass foreigners think we eat daily. Grill up some burgers and hot dogs.

But I'd recommend making French toast. Pork chops. Salmon and veggies with a side of mashed potatoes. A lot of the white families I knew ate that.
>>
>>7280976
what should a sloppy joe actually look like? ive never seen one but remember then being featured in the simpsons
>>
File: microbrewery.jpg (55 KB, 390x634) Image search: [Google]
microbrewery.jpg
55 KB, 390x634
>>7280547
The BUTTER BURGER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnm4CE2EgHk
>>
>>7299934
Looks good, love me some butter. I should try it sometime.
>>
>>7292387
hahahhahahahahaha
>>
>>7284552
Japanese people love baseball games. They love it.
>>
>>7299934
this shit is so fucking retarded but goddamn if it doesn't make my mouth water
>>
>>7299934
Guys, you told me it was just a meme.

What the fuck, Texas?
>>
>>7280712
>blackberry jam
>not using jellyfish jelly
>>
I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned blueberry pie. It is literally the most American pie, and easily the best desert pie.
>>
>>7299364
sloppy joe should look like chili but more red, hopefully with a good share of diced veggies in it.
>>
>>7280985
>avoid bland food
>japan
ayy lmao.
>>
>>7280547
>american recipes
>apple pie
>>
File: 1420465777396.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1420465777396.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>America
>traditional food
>>
>>7302811
Definitely agreeing with blueberries

They should try enchiladas if they don't have any dairy issues, and a Boston cream donut.
>>
coke chicken. that is if you can source coke without hfcs.
>>
>>7280547
>traditional American food
Just find the most greasy, fatty, overly sweet and unhealthy european foods.
And waalaa
American food
>>
>>7281155
How you doin'?
>>
>>7280547
You /ck/unts have never disappointed me so much. Fucking sick an' tired of hearing that their are no traditional American foods. Natives foods

>California burger
>Chili (fuck off Mexico this is tex-mex territory)
>Wild Rice Soup
>Hotdishes (specifically Tater Tot Hotdish)
>Chicago dogs
>NY or Chicago style pizza (you can keep your patchy cheese pizza "pies" Italy)
>BBQ of all variations
>Booyah (a stew)
>Jambalaya
>Homemade potato chips
>Clam Chowder
>Lobster/Crab w/ butter
>Tuna Salad
>Potato Salad
>Pork chops
>Deep-fried (insert here)
>Thanksgiving dinner dishes
>Mac n Cheese
>Obv. Apple Pie
>Cheese Curds
>Coleslaw
>Grilled Cheese and soup
>Fried Chicken
>Soul Food in general
>Desserts galore
>Super food mash-ups and (anti-) cancerous health fads
>...and more regional dishes

Not to mention all you have to do is go around your average American neighborhood and treat your taste buds to an Epcot like experience
>>
>>7305656
Forgot
>BBQ ribs
>Club sandwiches
>Steak
>Mashed Potatoes
>Pulled Pork Sandwiches
>Pumpkin anything
>Jerky
>Key Lime pie
>Banana Splits
>Meatloaf
>Crab cakes
>Peanut butter anything
>Popcorn
>(Hotcakes) Pancakes
>S'mores
>Buffalo Wings
>Frybread
>Corn, beard, chips, roasted, etc.. basically everything
>BLT
>Nacho cheese
>Moz Sticks
>Chicken Patties
>Gumbo
>>
>>7305656
>>7305743
Please tell me that this is just an Australian shitposting to make Americans seem dumb. Dear god don't be a real post.
>>
File: 1337559385151.jpg (46 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
1337559385151.jpg
46 KB, 776x602
>>7305656
Literally each and every one of those is a dumbed down version of a dish from an older culture.
>>
>>7284164
For me it's normally corn chips (fritos for most but use a cheap deli brand), along with cheese, and chili
>>
>>7280547
>Claims to be American
>Doesn't know any traditional American foods

I'm on to you commie. You won't be getting any American recipes to collectivize from me.
>>
>>7295219
Deep fried pickles are a god tier drunk food.
>>
File: frogmore.jpg (135 KB, 614x489) Image search: [Google]
frogmore.jpg
135 KB, 614x489
>>7280547
Don't cook hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs (they call them "American Dogs")-- they have those in Japan and sadly even the shittiest options there taste better than 95% of American establishments.

Good start is southern classics like frogmore stew, hoppin' john, shrimp and grits, corn bread, real fried chicken, NC-style bbq, pecan pie, coca-cola cake, lemon squares, etc. A lot of southern food taste profiles match up well to Japanese tastes, especially something like traditional shrimp and grits or fried okra.

Then go for things things like Texmex, Kosher Delis, bbq brisket, buffalo wings, etc. I'm at a loss for other distinctly American food styles, but don't forget to hunt down some of the nostalgic treats like Cheerwine, Charleston Chews, and some that most Americans don't even care for like clove gum and horehound.
>>
>>7306312
>I'm at a loss for other distinctly American food styles

You forgot southwestern food. Very interesting blend of Mexican, Indian, and American.
>>
>>7290437
You said there would be cake Eggman.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.