[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gross recipes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: tomato-sauce-1.jpg (285 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
tomato-sauce-1.jpg
285 KB, 1000x667
does anyone have a link for that youtube video of a recipe for tomato sauce

but it's like really, really grody because the recipe is like mainly just oil and tomatoes. it always pops up in gross threads here

i wanna introduce a friend to the world of dumb people making disgusting shit. i've shown her a few jack vids but i gotta raise the stakes
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Md4YR75qU
>>
File: tomato-oil.png (1 MB, 1276x718) Image search: [Google]
tomato-oil.png
1 MB, 1276x718
You're thinking of >>7278956 but of course Jack also managed to fuck up something as simple.
>>
>>7278948
>mainly just oil and tomatoes
That would be a good pomodoro if garlic, salt and an herb were involved. Long simmering sauces have their place, but a quick sauce sauce whose backbone is oil and tomatoes is pretty awesome if made right.
>>
>>7278975
especially not with a flavorless oil like canola though. i don't understand how you wouldn't associate olive oil with tomato sauce.
>>
>>7278948
You can't have a gross recipes thread without the classic Carbonara 101.

https://youtu.be/K-PKO2FrdPY
>>
>>7278990
>i don't understand how you wouldn't associate olive oil with tomato sauce.
me neither
>>
>>7278990
>>7279006
Oddly, I tend to associate the taste of tomato with tomato sauce, but maybe I'm odd.
>>
>>7279014
The long simmering red sauce common in Italian-American cooking was partially a product of the fact that olive oil was hard to get in America when the first waves of Italians landed here, but tomato paste and sugar were cheap. So was ground beef, which explains the outsized meatballs this sauce frequently accompanies.

Olive oil based sauces are common in Italy, and Italian "quick" tomato sauces lean on it pretty heavily.
>>
>>7279044
I've never found any recipes that use more than a tiny amount of olive oil, for softening off the onion & garlic, before you add tomato & tomato puree.

Do you have a link to any of these heavily oil based sauces? I'd actually be interested to try one, for comparison.
>>
>>7278956
Based cameraman.
>>
>>7278956

thanks friends
>>
>>7278956
>That intermission
>>
>>7279060
You're looking for Puglia style sauces. Here's an account of one being made:

"“Sugo al pomodoro, sì?” she repeats, as she heads to the kitchen. “Sì,” I reply. She upturns her bottle of home-made olive oil into a saucepan on super high heat. She cuts and adds a couple of thick quarters of Cipolla di Tropea, the famous red onion native to the Tropea area of Calabria.

Maria then produces a massive bunch of cherry tomatoes (pomodorini) that have been strung together and span a couple of feet in length. She says they always have these in the kitchen and she’s leaving a bunch with us.

To be honest the tomatoes look like the kind of over-ripe, partially rotting fruit that sometimes get passed off as ‘organic’ at farmers’ markets. “Agosto,” she says. Lara and I look at each other and we both realise that she means that this was when they were picked – August, last year.

For nine months these tomatoes have been hanging in Maria’s kitchen. Maria explains that they do this every year and because there is no heating or air-conditioning in the trullo kitchen, they don’t really rot, they just increase with intensity of flavour.

Maria picks a few off tomatoes and tosses them into the sauce. She takes a small dried chili and crumbles it into the sauce before sprinting out to the garden. There she heads for a shrub and picks some laurel leaves to put in the pot. Back in the kitchen she picks a few fresh leaves of basil from a bunch and tosses those into the pot as well.

The nine-month old tomatoes are now really flavouring the sauce, but she grabs a tin of peeled tomatoes off the shelf, and puts about ¾ of that in the sauce as well. Perfect for two, she says in Italian."

Here's the source:
http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/05/28/orecchiette-con-sugo-al-pomodoro-recipe/

But if you search for Puglia style sugo you'll find many recipes that lean heavier on the oil than you might think.
>>
File: Regret.jpg (11 KB, 300x294) Image search: [Google]
Regret.jpg
11 KB, 300x294
>>7278956
how to make pasta sauce
>start with sauce
>Add a shit ton of heat and oil

I see.
>>
>>7278998
His face
>dat moment when your spirit breaks
>>
>>7279088
>if you search for Puglia style sugo

Well, I did that and found largely nothing. A few passing references, and a few terribly written recipes that say things like "Add olive oil" without specifying how much.

I did find a bunch that claim to be Puglia recipes, but still only used 1 tbsp of olive oil. So I remain dubious.
>>
>>7278998
>>7279093
He can't even look at her.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.