[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me get into Indian food. Our main focus should be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11
File: indian food 2.jpg (187 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
indian food 2.jpg
187 KB, 800x600
Please help me get into Indian food.
Our main focus should be on the food, not the peoople.
Other countries try and copy it to no avail.

I for one love it.
Not that crappy Brit stuff, either.

Lay it on me, /ck/.
Out of all of the Indian food, which is the best?
Often I see people making fun of it, but I don't.
>>
>>7278317
>>7278319
>>7278322
>>7278329

Are you done shitting up the thread yet, paleskin? OP has a legitimate question about a proud nation's food. Fuck off.
>>
>>7278309

It's good but only if I make it myself. My local indian restaurant seriously did get shut down for a feces violation. I usually make rajma masala in the pressure cooker.
>>
>>7278309
what do you mean which is the best? Punjabi is pretty based

I could eat vindaloo every day for the rest of my life but thats from Goa
>>
i love tikka masala and don't care if it's brit shit
>>
>>7278309
Mirapakaya Kodi
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 694x642) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 694x642
>>7278338
>not satisfied with poo as a 2 dimensional threat, pajeet takes shitting to new heights
>>
>>7278317
>>7278319
>>7278322
This is my first time on /ck/, I'm glad it's not that different from the rest of 4chan.
>>
>>7278449
>next-level shit
>>
File: Punjabi-Deli-food.jpg (101 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Punjabi-Deli-food.jpg
101 KB, 640x480
>>7278309
I'm pretty fond of Punjabi cooking, especially the kind of vegetarian food the Sikhs make at their Gurdwaras. Love that stuff, but it ain't pretty.
>>
>>7278481
Comments like these really hurt co/ck/s dude
>>
>>7278338
>proud nation
proud of exactly what?
>>
Touche, OP.
>>
>>7278449
Fun Fact: When in Afghanistan, you could smell at least a day before in the monsoon season when the shitstorm was coming.

By Rome: Total War standards, that shit was at least 75% squalor. God help India or anywhere that is 90%+
>>
i really don't want to have to think about filthy smelly india when i'm eating. thanks. makes me sick just thinking about it.
>>
>Not that crappy Brit stuff, either.
u wot m8?
>>
>>7278309
Dosa is delicious. If you can find a place that serves it, definitely have some.
>>
>>7278608Has your nation mastered poop rain?
>>
>>7278309
Sambar is the best soup ever.
>>
>>7280894
wish i could find a place that makes it well. indian restaurant near me serves a small bowl of it with their dosas. its good but its obvious that its sortof of just thrown together as an after thought
>>
>>7280919
I know what you mean. I have to go 20 miles for good sambar. A local Indian store finally opening up this month and the owner says they will serve it so I have high hopes.
>>
Any naan, is usually orgasmic. Again this is for someone trying to start liking Indian good. Any chicken or lamb dishes with sauces (vindaloo is delicious but spicy if you can take the heat)

Mango lassi (drink) to cool off is refreshing and delicious.
>>
File: 3368425688.jpg (118 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
3368425688.jpg
118 KB, 640x427
>he won't eat some of the world's most varied and delicious food because of racism and memes
>>
>>7282950
It's not racism, it's due to the fact that they shit everywhere like uncivilized people
>>
File: 1408227751629.jpg (314 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1408227751629.jpg
314 KB, 1920x1080
>>7278309
Packaged meat and veggie sauce mixes
Regional herbs and spices
Imagine Indians have their own food pyramids as well
Buy a fucking cookbook??
Drinks mate, imagine an Indian jungle wine.
>>
File: 1136374619.jpg (259 KB, 1024x712) Image search: [Google]
1136374619.jpg
259 KB, 1024x712
>>7282952
>literal racism and memes
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (382 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
382 KB, 1920x1080
>>7278309

Give Saag Paneer a try. I'm addicted to that stuff.

Yeah, it looks like green diarrhera, but all that spinach and other leafy greens in there with the cream mixed in makes it a damn hearty dish with plenty of nutrients. The paneer will probably make you think you're eating tofu at first, but it's pretty good too and is savory.
>>
File: 1408665214968.jpg (257 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1408665214968.jpg
257 KB, 1680x1050
>>7278608
Scientific accomplishments and contributions to the modern world
Creating job markets
Historical significance to trade routes and religion
Exotic animals and preservation
They aren't experiencing and failing to handle the situations occurring widespread middle east
For what surrounding countries it borers, they seem to fair well against intruders and they seem to keep their noses out of war
>>
>>7282996
Go to bed, Pajeet
>>
I worked in the middle east for a while with a lot of Indian contractors. After smelling that food ooze from their pores every day for a year was enough to turn me off forever. Last year in Japan a friend convinced me to try an Indian restaurant that he said was "really authentic and good". As soon as we walked through the door I could attest to its authenticity, because it smelled exactly like the BO from those migrant workers.
>>
File: 1408554411110.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1408554411110.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
>>7283001
Surplus of child prodigies
Indian cinema
Schools
Land preservation
Space race
Airlines
A fluctuating economy like the rest of us
Technically India has everything the rest of the world has or they have access to these resources, it seems like an overpopulation is the crippling factor in the equation.
>>
>>7282983
This. Saag paneer is easy to make (as is paneer itself). And it's fucking delicious.
>>
>>7282952
>generalising an entire culture of 1 billion+ people
>uncivilized
You certainly are
>>
>>7282983
Do you have a recipe?

Also what cheese would you recommend as a sub for paneer, I cant get it anywhere.
>>
>>7283045
All these things AND designated shitting streets? Wow India really does have it all.
>>
When you cook a curry, make your pan and oil hot before you cook your coriander seeds for a few minutes before any other ingredient!

Next, you have to dice a lot of onions. At least one full onion. Peel and dice half a head of garlic too. Put the onion in once the coriander is fragrant, salt it, and then let it get translucent before you add the other spices. Add the garlic when the onion is about halfway to translucent. Nobody likes burned garlic.

Now, you can add a lot of things, but you must always add equal amounts of cumin and ground raw ginger. Cut that cilantro finely. Don't skimp on garam masala quality, or else you'll have to add a crap ton and that means you're not saving any money. I like to put paprika and cayenne in mine! Some people melt a tiny bit of bitter baking chocolate and add that for the smooth flavors.

Now that you have a lot of slowly heating spices, clear onions, and definitely not burned garlic, add a handful of chopped tomatoes and some tomato paste. Just stir that paste in until it's fully incorporated. If you add too many tomatoes, it's not too late to balance it out with more spices. You'll be okay. Are you serving a lot of people and are poor? Add a handful or two of rinsed, raw lentils.

Now, add cubed raw meat, tofu, or paneer. Let that shit simmer for like at least 30 minutes. If you need to add more water, do that, but be careful not to add too much.

Be sure to stir it every once in a while so it doesn't burn in the pot. Taste it to see if you need to add spice, or things to thin the spice out.

When the meat is super tender and cooked through, the tomatoes are soupy, and the sauce is thickened, serve with naan over rice.

Have fun!
>>
Also, in my opinion, naan dough is best the day after you make it. I just like frying leftover naan dough the most.

Lightly oil the dough lump and then put it in a ziplock in the fridge to store leftover dough.
>>
>>7283045
Not to mention a caste system that allows slavery which isn't technically slavery.
>>
>>7283407
enjoy your dysentery from poo stained hands
>>
Generally, how do you make curries? Is it just cream/yogurt mixed with spices, heated up with vegetables and meat stewing in it?
>>
>>7283453
Silly, I'm cooking in a kitchen cleaner than any room in your house. It's frankly cleaner than most restaurants I've cooked for in glorious Eagleland because nobody bitches when I clean behind the appliances more than once a week.

Also I wash my hands because I like living food poisoning free and don't have a shit fetish, unlike your mother.
>>
>>7283464
No, see my post >>7283395 for a general curry outline.

If you want to make your life easier, pre-roast diced veg and meat in the oven while you're prepping and add them about ten minutes after the tomatoes. It will shorten cooking time, but the sauce will soak in less. Choices, choices.

If you want to add cream, use plain yogurt sparingly.
>>
I really thought 15 year olds stayed on the other boards.
>>
>>7283464

Almost all curries start with onions and garlic fried together with spices.
>>
File: gobi_manchurian.jpg (21 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
gobi_manchurian.jpg
21 KB, 480x300
Do try gobi manchurian if you see anywhere that sells it, it's fucking delicious.
>>
>>7282996

You forgot
>Toilet witches.
>>
anyone got a good dhansak recipe? can't get enough of a good chicken dhansak
>>
>>7283407
Fried naan dough is bhatura. Make sure the oil is hot enough. Naan is one Indian bread that can't be made at home unless you have a tandoor or an oven that goes to 800-1000.
>>
>>7283498
Except for any Jain dish. Most south Indian doesn't have garlic either. All of these generic curry recipies make a good dish but are in no way representative of even a fraction of Indian dishes.
>>
>>7285241
this t b h. was watching rick stein's india program and the amount of different types of food over there are mindboggling. the uk's pretty into curries but we don't scratch the surface really
>>
>>7278309
If you want authentic Indian food, remember to mix a little feces into it. That's why Indian food outside India doesn't taste "authentic": because of rules and laws governing hygiene, so giving it that extra touch that only feces can give is out of the question.
>>
>>7283498
Ginger as well, normally more so than garlic. A lot of Indian recipes forego garlic because of the pungency.
>>
>>7285318
>A lot of Indian recipes forego garlic because of the pungency.
Also because they use hing (asafoetida) instead. Muslims on the subcontinent weren't as into hing, so they use garlic instead. This is why some folks favor Pakistani cooking over Indian. I prefer the taste of garlic over hing in an either/or scenario.
>>
File: Babby close.jpg (20 KB, 400x457) Image search: [Google]
Babby close.jpg
20 KB, 400x457
>Indian food can't be successfully copied by any other country

>Statistically enormous portions of Indian Street food are literally full of shit, but are "authentic"

I don't know what you were expecting, OP. You would have been better off stating that you haven't found Indian food in other countries to match and ask how to get more authentic food locally.

My Indian roommate used to periodically take a ride to a small Indian Food store like half a mile away to stock up, then mix the base ingredients together into dishes himself when he was in the mood for food from home, and he seemed quite happy with the results. I'd probably say just do that.
>>
>>7285432
Sorry, I meant half an hour, not half a mile. It was really a bit of a trip but manageable if he bought in bulk.
>>
>>7285416
Pakistani food isn't really a thing. Pashtun, sindhi and baloch are pretty different to the Punjabi food found in 99% of Pakistani restaurants. The only real difference between Indian Punjabi and Pakistani Punjabi is the paki version is a bit more meat heavy and less dairy based. Both use garlic instead of hing. Hing is more of a thing in the gangetic plains and below.
>>
>>7285514
And that the Punjabi Sikhs have that vegetarian style of cooking that they give away for free at their Gurdwaras. That stuff is great. I could eat like that every day.
>>
>>7285542
I've heard Pakistani mangoes are godlike. I hope to try one myself some day.
>>
>>7278309
Red lentil soup is really good. Also spiced eggplant.

I eat those whenever I'm at an indian restaurant.
>>
How much poopie can I get for a rupie?
>>
>>7285589
The really tiny ones? They're delicious, though where I live they're usually imported from India. I like Pakistani Basmati rice.
>>
>>7285630
i believe they're called Chaunsa mangoes. I didn't realize you could find them in Indian stores as well. I'm gonna have a look around the city and maybe I'll be lucky and find some.
>>
>>7278338
>the post with the slur paleskin doesn't get janitor'd
>>
>>7280891
If they found a way to control this, they could legitimately be a threat.
>>
>>7285234
I've had some success using a heavy tray under the grill at full blast, I don't know how hot that gets though.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.