[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooking Oils
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5
File: cooking oil.jpg (22 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
cooking oil.jpg
22 KB, 620x400
What kind of cooking oil does /ck/ use in their kitchen?
>>
Primarily Olive Oil and Sesame Oil. I've worked with Cocoanut Oil and found it not to my liking.
>>
Olive, sunflower, peanut, sesame and rapeseed is all you need.
>>
Olive oil, vegetable oil & sunflower oil.
>>
>>7275802
>Cocoanut Oil

My former flatmate used to fry everything in this, it was absolutely disgusting. The worst thing she'd do is use a handful (because why the hell use a fucking spoon?) and fry up a pound of bacon while waiting for a whole chicken to roast. She'd eat the whole lot (bacon and the chicken) in one sitting. I foolishly tried some, it was disgustingly faintly sweet, like adding a tiny amount of sugar to water.
>>
Mostly olive oil, peanut oil and coconut oil. I also have sesame oil for the odd occasion when I'm doing a stir fry.

Plus there's butter.
>>
Typical stuff is sunflower or safflower. Canola seems to always develop this rancid smell when heated.

I also use olive and sesame for flavoring or dressings or similar. A little drizzle of sesame can make instant ramen go from eh to pretty alright.

>>7275810
You must have some good fatty stories from someone like that.
>>
>>7275839
>You must have some good fatty stories from someone like that.

She wasn't the most disgusting fatty I've encountered, just standard delusion stuff and consistently repulsive cooking. She did try to murder me when I referred to her as piggly wiggly while drunk.
>>
Olive and sunflower. But I'd rather cook with butter than oil.
>>
>>7275863
Lard's gonna make a comeback, bro. Just wait and see.
>>
olive
canola
evoo
vegetable
grapeseed
infused oils
peanut
sunflower

i use a lot of oils. im a chef, so i just happen to have all this shit laying around. i typically stick to canola oil. it does a really great job for an all purpose oil
>>
What oils are used for what purposes?
I know sesame oil is mainly used to season and it's my favorite, but what are the purposes of each other oils?
>>
>>7275892
I still use lard for frying my chikuns
>>
>>7275793

Olive oil for pretty much everything and vegetable oil only if I need to really deep fry something or the flavor doesn't matter much.
>>
>>7275802
>>7275810

Yeah coconut oil a shit.

I already hate coconuts and noticed it makes everything taste like cocoshit too.
>>
olive or corn or canola
>>
>>7276660
Sounds like it'd be good if you're using it in something normally sweet
>>
olive oil
toasted sesame oil
Ghee
>>
File: 1355459119.jpg (326 KB, 956x1279) Image search: [Google]
1355459119.jpg
326 KB, 956x1279
Primarily peanut and olive oil, sometimes sesame oil. I also like to use ghee and duck fat.
>>
Regular olive oil (not extra virgin or even virgin).
Soyabean, peanut, corn, sunflower seed or rapeseed oil (whichever's cheapest when I buy it, preferring peanut or sunflower over others and soya at the bottom).
Palm kernel oil or shortening.
Butter.
Lard.
Bacon grease.
Chicken grease.
Mutton tallow.
Toasted sesame oil.
White sesame oil.

I currently have all of them on hand right now except mutton tallow (used the last bit about three weeks back to make lamb curry) and lard (finished off the last bit back in November, making a shortcrust for a quiche and haven't gotten around to making more).

>>7275810
>>7276660
I also use coconut oil but I didn't list it above because I don't cook with it. Since I recently developed an allergy to something in every industrial one I've tried, I make my own deodorant using coconut oil.
>>
>>7276693
We got ourselves a Real, self respecting chef here
>>
>>7276747
I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or serious.
>>
>>7276660
Sounds like you use way too much oil, like the fatty mentioned earlier in the thread.
>>
Olive
Bacon fat
Lard
Ghee
Butter
Coconut
Canola or sunflower if I don't want any flavor from the oil
>>
>>7276886
Its a compliment, nigger
>>
>>7276891

Olive oil, yeah. I'm not fat at all. Olive oil is pretty healthy.
>>
Olive oil

NO FUCKING BUTTER

>The human body was not designed to combat saturated fat like that. The butter impregnates the tissues, and then it hardens and settles like silt. It makes your aorta stiffer than a hockey stick. Whereas olive oil - caresses your insides, leaving nothing behind but its scent.
>>
>>7277030
What the fuck is that a quote from?
>>
>>7277038
The family

That more than decent Robert Di Nero movie no one remembers.
>>
>>7275793
Olive for general purpose cooking.
Peanut for deep frying.
Canola for high-heat cooking beyond olive's flashpoint.
>>
>>7275793
Canola oil, butter, lard, and occasionally peanut oil
>>
Mostly canola, sometimes with olive oil or butter.
>>
>>7276629
They differ in smoke points, so if you want to stir fry, peanut oil is much better than extra virgin olive or sesame oil which would smoke/catch fire easily. There are tables online to compare the smoke points.
>>
File: mummy.jpg (39 KB, 190x248) Image search: [Google]
mummy.jpg
39 KB, 190x248
>>7275810
I had a roommate a while back that had the biggest hard on for coconut oil. Jesus christ he'd put it in everything. Even when I was cooking he'd poke his head in the kitchen and remind me to add a spoon of that shit to what I was making. I quite like coconut but not everything needs to be coconut flavored god damn it.

His ass would make hamburger helper beef stroganoff and put a big ass lump of coconut oil in it.
>>
>>7275793
I buy my oil from an online forum... a woman who makes her own gluten-free, organic olive oil.
>>
>>7275793
Extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, and canola oil.

Currently I use the coconut oil the most. Red cabbage fried in coconut oil is delicious.
>>
costco olive oil (the best olive oil)
coconut oil
bacon fat from non factory raised pigs only
butter
sesame oil for flavor
and grapeseed oil because of it's high smoke point
>>
>>7275793
Light olive or vegetable oil for western food. Peanut oil for eastern food. Clarified butter for anything real savory and simple.

Evoo and sesame oil as finishing oils.
>>
>>7277276
Sounds like coconut is thr male pendant to pumpkin in doucheville
>>
>>7277277
>gluten-free
Kek
>>
>>7275793
pork lard
>>
Strong oils:
>Olive oil (extra virgin, depending)
>Sesame oil (god-tier in fried rice, essential for bulgogi, good in some other things)
>Clarified butter (my favorite, but it's time consuming; still need to try ghee)

Neutral oils:
>Vegetable oil (it's cheap)
>Peanut oil (preferred, especially for frying)

>>7275802
Ugh, coconut oil. I haven't tried it yet outside of popcorn popped with it (which I enjoyed because popcorn), but my girlfriend loves it and is trying to get me on the bandwagon. I have a knee-jerk bad reaction to fad ingredients that people will throw willy-nilly into everything without taking flavor into account. I don't see the appeal of doing that with anything. Thankfully, my girlfriend only uses it in baked sweets and for non-edible purposes. I couldn't imagine frying meat or vegetables in a sweet oil. Or adding it to savory dishes.

I'll try it at some point, but only in a recipe that calls for it.

>>7275810
>Frying bacon in anything

...Why the fuck would you do that? There's enough fat in a pound of bacon to fry a mess of eggs and hash browns in after you're done... and you'll STILL have some left over. Fucking disgusting.
>>
butter
olive oil
different oils for seasoning
coconut
>>
>>7275892
Lard is way heavy, I like to use it in stews with lentils/potaters/white beans tho, comfy addition for ccomfy winter eats.
>>
>2016
>cooking with the amphiphile jew
I'm disappointed /ck/ucks
>>
I mainly use extra virgin gutter oil.
>>
Sunflower and butter for general cooking
Olive and pumpkin oil for seasoning (I have 10 more liters of my own O.O.)
Coconut when I'm making pancakes, but I'm mostly using it outside of the kitchen
>>
Either sunflower oil or fat saved from fatty meat. I once tried to cook with mustard oil, it instantly turned into a stinging mustard cloud, never again
>>
Pretty much canola oil for everything, with rice bran for frying. Butter occasionally.
>>
Canola, Peanut, Olive, Sesame, Lard, Butter. Is there any reason to use corn oil over vegetable oil or canola oil?
>>
olive oil
we buy some cheap olive oil and then put some rosemary and garlic in it, leave it for a month and then have lovely garlic and rosemary flavoured oil
>>
Sunflower because of its neutral taste and colour
>>
olive and sunflower for salad
sunflower, peanut, coconut and clarified butter for cooking
>>
Avocado oil because I like not having to worry about the smoking point. I seriously don't know how the temperatures on my stove works.
>>
Peanut for high temp stuff, olive for everything else.
>>
Skimming the thread, I see corn oil is not very popular. Is there a general reason to avoid it or you guys just prefer other oils? I never bought or used it until recently - sharing a kitchen with someone who does. I started using it in my cornbread because well, corn. Don't know if I should or shouldn't consider using it elsewhere too.
>>
>>7278113
>I seriously don't know how the temperatures on my stove works.

That's because a stove doesn't set a temperature, it sets a heat output. The resultant temperature depends on time and what kind of pot/pan is placed on the stove.

Think of it like your car: how far you depress the gas pedal doesn't set a specific speed. It determines how much power you want out of the engine. Your resultant speed depends on what gear you are in, how much weight the car is carrying, whether or not you're going uphill or downhill, etc.
>>
Olive
>>
Refined (aka "light") olive oil or lard for general purpose use--choice of which depends on the dish.
Peanut in the deep fryer and for high-heat use

Other misc. oils for making dressings and sauces: EVOO, sesame, etc.
>>
coconut is goat to fap
>>
>>7277450
for anal sex?
>>
different oils for different applications....depends on what you need to cook and how hot the oil needs to get with/without hitting smoke point
>>
>>7278150
It's just not common in the rest of the world. No conspiracy, although links between breast and prostate cancers and corn oil consumption have been suggested (I don't quite believe it, really).

Outside of China and the US, corn oil isn't used much by home cooks.
>>
>>7278511
Do americans really use lubericating oils when fapping?

Nice dubs btw
>>
>>7278610
>mentioning gets

I believe the noose store is having a sale
>>
>>7278614
Leaving dubs unchecked is literally worse than murder
>>
>>7278511
dubs ge
>>7278588
>>
>>7275802
>>7275803
>>7275808
>>7275817
>>7276663
>>7276678
>Olive oil
Enjoy cleaning your pans faggots
>>
File: -1006963169.jpg (50 KB, 500x588) Image search: [Google]
-1006963169.jpg
50 KB, 500x588
I'm one person who lives on their own

I notice it's more cost effective to buy a 4L can of sunflower oil (or any) than just the 1L or 500ml every time.
Does oil spoil quickly once opened? I'm thinking it may take me a year to use all this.
>>
Mix sunflower and olive oil 50/50
>>
>>7279226
Pretty sure oil has great shelf life
>>
Canola for most pan greasing.
Extra virgin olive oil for the stuff it's good for.
Peanut oil or shortening for frying.

Sesame oil for flavoring some dishes.
>>
vegetable oil only. just cause thats all my dad used when i was a kid
>>
>ctrl+f
>no result

I refuse to believe I am the only one using walnut oil in his salads, either alone or used to make a homemade vinaigrette.
>>
>>7279226
Most oils have fairly good shelf life if they're kept air tight, at a cool-ish temperature, away from light. Some, like good pure coconut oil, are practically shelf stable.

Extra virgin olive oil is the main exception, same for others that are not very filtered as a matter of course.
>>
>>7279284
Oh, I almost forgot, I got some hemp oil and I've been experimenting with it. Doesn't seem very special so far.
>>
For cooking
- Olive oil (most of the time)
- Grape seed oil (when I don't want the oil to have a flavor)
- Peanut oil (frying or asian dishes)

For salads
- Olive oil
- Walnut oil
- Hazelnut oil

For finishing touches
- Toasted sesame oil
>>
Hold up. People actually fry MEAT in coconut oil?

Fucking barbarism. Coconut oil is great when used properly but that...that is against all that is good in this world.
>>
>>7279355
you can get refined coconut oil so you don't get a coconut taste
>>
>>7277434
>/ck/ucks
Are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>7278700
checked

On topic, I follow in the footsteps of Julia Child and use butter, olive oil, or a blend of the two. Very occasionally vegetable oil.
>>
>>7275802
It's good for cooking spicy stuff because the coconut flavor goes well with it, but anything else and it is just awful
>>
>>7279197
I do not appreciate this homophobia.
>>
>>7275793
peanut, just did research and found it to not be terrible for me and good for frying
>>
I use exclusively peanut oil.
>>
Usually coconut oil for frying and olive or mineral oil for sauteeing. I have vegetable oil I use in some baking recipes too.
>>
>>7275793
I regularly use peanut oil, olive oil, EVOO, and sometimes I'll borrow some of my roommates vegetable oil if I just need a little bit of oil in a bread dough that needs to be flavorless. Also use butter regularly. On occasion I'll also cook with duck fat, or use cured meats as lardons, used to render lard and cook with that when I ate meat more often.
>>
Olive and vegetable oil.
>>
>>7275793
Low Heat: California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin, Butter

Medium Heat: Butter, Bacon fat

High Heat: Peanut

I really don't see a reason to use anything else. Bought some of that expensive coconut oil on a whim a year ago, and it's still sitting in the fridge. Recently bought some beef tallow and ghee to use at higher heat (previously just brought home prime rib fat sections from dinners and sweated them for hours) so that should be interesting.
>>
>>7275802
>Cocoanut Oil
>Cocoa
This got me wondering about Cocoa Seed Oil/Butter and I just learned that it's very high in calories, though reasonably healthy otherwise.
As someone who struggles to get enough calories in my diet, and who wants to make my own cycling-fuel-proton-bars, I just want to thank you for inadvertently changing my life!
>>
>>7279824
pretty much this.
>>
I tend to use butter as my utility fat, and it definitely sees the most use overall. EVOO is the go-to for anything that's got a lighter flavor profile or one that butter wouldn't necessarily mesh well with. Peanut oil is a must for searing meats and stir-frys; its flavor neutrality is an added bonus. Lastly, sesame oil sees pretty regular use as a flavoring agent for finishing stir-frys and certain dressings. Vegetable oil's good to have around as well for stuff like greasing pans or certain baked goods, but I often find that peanut oil can serve as a suitable substitute.
>>
Almost exclusively Pam.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.