[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever been to a restaurant where the steak fries weren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: Steak fries.jpg (313 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Steak fries.jpg
313 KB, 1600x1200
Have you ever been to a restaurant where the steak fries weren't clearly frozen?

Because I'll be damned if I can find one.
>>
Oh yeah, gee, I think I'll waste 6 man-hours every day just to put some irregularly shaped fries on my customer's plates when frozen (an industry standard, by the way) does the exact same fucking thing at lower cost.
>>
>>7274798

Pretty much this.

If it's a high volume place that serves fries with most things it's simply not practical. If it's a 30 top French bistro that offers steak frites and moules frites it's a different story.

Most people simply can't tell the difference, or at least don't care enough.
>>
>>7274798
>lower cost
This is wrong.
>>
Good fries require two fryings, once at a low temperature (275 F), to cook the potato, and once at a high temperature (375 F) to crisp the outside. Critically, the excess moisture in the potato must be allowed to steam off after each frying, allowing the potato to crisp.

As deathly to /ck/ as freezing is, the frozen fry producers take care of the first stage of frying, making sure it is safe for consumption. The user is then left to provide the crisp exterior via their own frying method.
>>
>>7274779
Outside of local start-ups, I don't know of anyplace like that.
>>
>>7274779
I showed up early to a movie theater in a small downtown area last year. I had an hour to kill. I decided to hit up the diner directly across the street.

I ordered coffee and a Danish after sitting there witnessing the "cook" was taking out store-bought, frozen foods for each and EVERY order. They literally didn't make a single thing in-house.

They opened a restaurant and sold what they bought from the frozen food section at wally world.
>>
>>7276524
What this guy says.

It's part of why McDonalds fries are so good (objective fact backed up by professional food reviews, before you plebs attack me for saying that).

Fries can be made on an industrial scale and as long as the final fry is done to order they'll turn out fine.

Not everything needs to be done in artisinal small batches to ensure quality.
>>
Ted's Montana Grill cuts and cooks the fries in-house.
>>
As a cook who has to blanch one to two hundred pounds of hand cut Fries a day. Which takes two hours to complete. At $15 an hour plus food cost $8 per 50lbs. I can comfortably say I would rather open a frozen bag @8-13 a case of 6, and fry them. There is little taste difference between fresh and frozen.
>>
>>7276706

I've only ever had to make fries from scratch when someone fucked up the ordering (how do you fuck up ordering fries?), but yeah it's way too labor intensive to be affordable when that cook could be doing all the other shit that needs to happen for the kitchen to be ready for service.
>>
>>7276706
Everyone realizes that save for the hipsters of /ck/.
>>
File: artisanal-burger-company.jpg (40 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
artisanal-burger-company.jpg
40 KB, 550x413
>>7276743
>>7276718
>>7276706
>>7276605
>>7276591
>>7276524

you guys live in flyover country or so poor you can only pay 2 dollars for an order of fries? Frozen fries are pig disgusting because the water freezes and the ice crystals crush the potato cellules. Think freezer burn. The water melts when you fry the potatoes and they get really mushy.

Kind of sad to think your experience with fries is so shitty. Pic related is what good fries should look like.
>>
>>7276766

While I agree that there is a difference, it's simply not feasible for every place to make their own from scratch, which has already been explained, and has nothing to do with flyover.

As has also been said, most people simply can't tell the difference. Also the fries you posted don't look that great.
>>
>>7276766
Every single one of my individual fries are cut, shaped, seasoned and fried by separate chefs.

If you're not on my level, you are a shit tier pleb.
>>
>>7276706
70 bucks for a hundred pounds of fries?

Sounds good to me
>>
>>7276812

You are being facetious but the casual acceptance of shitty frozen fries on this, a cooking board, is pretty disturbing, especially considering the kind of questions I've asked on here.
>>
>>7276815
Of course I'm being facetious but it was in response to your pretentiousness. You could have conveyed the same message without the looking down your nose attitude.
>>
Speaking of fries, would it be feasible to cover the fries in salt after the first frying, to draw out as much moisture as possible?
>>
>>7277043

You don't want to draw out the moisture.

You fry them once to par cook them, then fry them again to give them a crispy outside while keeping a soft, fluffy inside. Getting rid of the moisture would mean they'd be crispy all the way through.
>>
>>7277056
I see. I'm having some difficulty getting them crispy enough to justify the process of frying them - they always seem have more in common with potato wedges than fries that you would get at a restaurant.
>>
>>7274779

There's a small number specialty fry shops near which make fresh fries, but that's in the Netherlands. Belgium has tons of course, I assume the Brits as well.
>>
>>7277127

So what temperatures/times are you using? You sure your frier's temperature is accurate?
>>
>>7274798
>at lower cost
How can one post be so wrong?
>>
>>7276766
Those fries look mushy.
>>
>>7276605
>It's part of why McDonalds fries are so good (objective fact backed up by professional food reviews, before you plebs attack me for saying that).
But they're so fucking salty, nigga.
>>
>>7276813
that's what it's cost the owner of the restaurant... not the selling price
>>
>>7274779
My first job was washing dishes at a decent restaurant, they made their chips from scratch and I got stuck with the shitty job of pushing potatoes through that fry cutter thing more often than I would have liked.

Meanwhile every decent burger or steak place I visit recently uses Edgell brand beer batter chips (which I recognise from a different job, pretty distinctive) and they're better than any chips from scratch I've ever had. Don't really know why you'd make chips from scratch unless you're 'artisinal' like >>7274816 says.
>>
>>7277420
>salty fries
>not ideal
>>
>>7277372
Manhours and dedicated kitchen equipment is free then?
>>
>people support these bland, generic brands of fries

holy shit /ck/ is full of tasteless faggots
>>
>>7276766
Those fries go limp quickly and get mushy.

t. Someone who used to fry them
>>
File: expression.jpg (3 KB, 211x152) Image search: [Google]
expression.jpg
3 KB, 211x152
>>7277866
>brands of fries
>brands
>actually trying to be a snob about this
I love it when /ck/ tries to be elitist
Why don't you tell us which fast food chain is "god tier", Mr. Escoffier
>>
>>7274779
Freezing potato wedges makes them crispier when fried as the potato cell structure breaks down. Even if you make your own, you're best off freezing them before preparing.
>>
Theres one place near me that serves fresh cut fries but they isnt steak fries. They had a billboard advertising the only fresh fries in the area
>>
>>7276646
Came here to say this.
>>
>>7274779

Fresh-cut fries suck ass, they are always soggy. Frozen is the way to go.
>>
>>7274779
how can you tell that your fries were frozen?
>>
>>7277679
A slicer is an unsophisticated piece of equipment that is relatively inexpensive. It will pay itself off quite quickly.

You don't need a dedicated person to run one for six hours to meet your needs for the night. You can pretty much just run a few potatoes through on demand, although it's smarter to have some done in advance. Regardless, the person responsible can fill other tasks when he's not dropping potatoes into the slicer.
>>
>>7280309
This, has anyone else on /ck/ actually worked in a kitchen? If you have a slicer you can do all the fries you'll need for the entire day in about 20 minutes.
>>
>>7280295
Broke my tooth.
>>
I honestly can't tell if a restaurant serves frozen food. How do you tell?
>>
>>7280870

It's hard NOT to tell, with fries.
>>
I used to work in a chippy, I'd get in at 6 am and peel the potatoes. Doing 50kgs of potatoes would take about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Then run them through the cutter, which would be about 20-30 mins. You'd then have to leave them in dry white for at least an hour to breakdown all the starch.

We would keep 25kgs for the next shift and blanch the other half so they would be half cooked so it would cook quick for individual orders, that would be another 30-40 mins

All in all it would take nearly 5 hours a day to prep just for chips, so its understandable when restaurants would use deep fry chips. Save a lot of time and money for a hardly unnoticeable difference.
>>
>>7280638
Didn't see your post till I wrote this.

>>7281441
>>
I love how it is so obvious the faggy posters who have no idea on anything FLYOVER IF THEY AREN'T FRESH CUT ARTISAN POTATOES. Yeah sure dude Show me your fresh cut fries from McDonaldsons in southern California that you love so much
>>
Where i work at, we cut potatos, put them in a bucket, put water in the bucket. When we need fries, we put what we need in the fryer.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.