[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/ first time poster. I've lurked for quite a while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: banana_PNG835.png (1 MB, 1767x1197) Image search: [Google]
banana_PNG835.png
1 MB, 1767x1197
Hey /ck/ first time poster.

I've lurked for quite a while now. But I have a question. I'm getting quite interested in cooking and shit. Are there any online tutorials that will teach me the basics? I'm not really quite sure what the basics are come to think of it.

Where do you start?
>>
>look up recipe for food you want
>buy ingredients and attempt to make it
>fuck up
>start oc thread on /ck/ asking what you did wrong
>learn from your mistakes
>>
You could pirate 4 Hour Chef.
>>
File: monkey-vomit.jpg (288 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
monkey-vomit.jpg
288 KB, 480x640
>>7273534
>>
>>7273535

Have you read it?
>>
>>7273536

Yes.

It's more /fit/ than /ck/.
>>
>>7273538

I don't think so, are you thinking of 4 Hour Body?
>>
>>7273539
Well It does seem like 4 Hour Chef is more of a self improvement/motivational book rather than a cook book.
>>
>>7273539

The author basically says that food is just fuel, so who cares about making it taste good or eating a variety of foods, and recommends something like eating plain chicken breasts with microwaved, frozen spinach everyday.

That's /fit/.

/ck/ is for people actually interested in food and cooking.
>>
>>7273547

You didn't read it.
>>
>>7273549

Are you actually going to defend Tim Ferriss?

His books are practically comedy without meaning to be.
>>
>>7273553

If they're so bad you wouldn't need to make shit up about them.
>>
>>7273556

>make shit up about them

I read it when it first came out and the only thing that stuck with me was his boastful statements about how he can eat the same bland shit everyday even though eating feels more like a chore, and a means to an end to him.

As for as whatever foods he actually recommends, I only really remember him eating a shit ton of frozen spinach everyday.

I'm not going to go find quotes, but I'm also not just making shit up.
>>
>>7273563
>>7273556
>>7273553
>>7273549
>>7273547
Get a room, you two!

OP you should just look up a food you like and try to make it based on a reasonable recepie. It's harder to fuck stuff up than you think. You don't have to be exact in every little thing. Baking break is hard though.
>>
>>7273532
the way to go. perhaps you can find a good book in a store that explains stuff too
>>
>>7273532
Ya, dont be afraid to make mistakes when cooking. Its not hard and it's fun.

If you do fuck up, please post to /ck
>>
>>7273527
Julia taught basic principles and techniques within each recipe that can be used as a foundation in the kitchen. She was an excellent teacher. Start with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDoCkRUfMU
>>
File: John_Wesley.jpg (58 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
John_Wesley.jpg
58 KB, 900x600
Cooking is a four way street where time, temperature, technique, and ingredients all come together. Learning how these 4 aspects of cooking relate to each other, for example the relationship between time and temperature, how ingredients are best utilized, and what flavors go together will give you a pretty good understanding of how to cook.

Also patience, preparation, and knife skills will save you time, effort, energy, and disappointment.
>>
Watch Alton Brown in Good Eats, nice way to pick up techniques. Also, follow recipes, and do the over and over to get better.
>>
>>7276061
>Reply
good eats is a great start. i personally vouch for it. the host explains how and why things in cooking work the way they do.
>>
youtube. for beginner just look for recipes you might like. but first buy a chefs knife and a sharpener and watch a knife technique video. the rest is time and practice. have fun an welcome!
>>
>>7275896
Wow. Invaluable. I re-watched half of Julia Child's The Way To Cook series last night. It really is all of the basic cooking techniques and general knowledge from which everything you cook, any recipe or ingredient you encounter can be tackled. And there's no bullshit or fillers. Unless you want to work your way up through a kitchen brigade, this is the best foundation you're gonna find.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.