[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Dennys chefs have a harder job then gourmet chefs You go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: typical nyer.jpg (21 KB, 382x382) Image search: [Google]
typical nyer.jpg
21 KB, 382x382
>Dennys chefs have a harder job then gourmet chefs

You go to a nice gourmet place the menu is usually limited. You go to dennys and they have to know how to cook steaks, pancakes and wings in like one order
>>
Denny's is pretty good I like their lumberjack breakfast platter.
>>
>>7272531
I think you mean Waffle House. Waffle House cooks need to know how to fight in order to survive.
>>
It's OK, they're Mexican. If you give them instructions in espanol they are actually amazingly hard and diligent workers. Just don't ask them to learn english or come up with anything creative.
>>
>>7272545
That's fine. Americans and Mexicans have a cross language, it's called mexican. You basically add an "o" on to end of nouns and it helps communicate the point.
>>
>>7272531
Knowing how to cook a lot of mediocre food is not as impressive or as difficult as cooking a smaller menu extremely well
>>
>>7272531

knowing how to rehead pre-prepared food is different compared to actually cooking it.
>>
>>7272676
they cook steak wings etc.... you cant just reheat them
>>
Any high end cook could work two stations at a Denny's.

It's super simple shit at somewhat high volume.
>>
>>7272729
I doubt that
>>
>>7272531
That kind of cooking is fun
Less pressure but faster pace
Then again I've never been a gourmet chef lol
>>
>>7273011
Why? Where do you think those chefs started??
Most didn't leave culinary school and start at a gourmet place.
Maybe it wasn't Dennys, but there a lot more restaurants out there with similar menus that probably use more fresh ingredients and don't have corporate training that spoon feeds them the recipes.
>>
>chefs

Cooks and chefs are two different things.

Some of the worst cooks I've ever worked with were chefs and I could never do a chef's job.
>>
Sounds like it's time they quit and get a job at The Cheesecake Factory.
>>
>comparing a line cook to a chef
>EVER

My mom was a line-cook, pretty good actually but she is so far from a chef its almost an insult. Line-cooks are glorified assembly line workers. There is no nuance or finesse or even understanding about their food. Just a mechanical rote memory of temperatures, times, and assembly.

Its like comparing art to paint-by-numbers, even if most artists are shit.
>>
>>7272531
Absolut kek.
>>
>>7273294
Exactly
No one's saying it isn't hard work physically but skill wise it's not very difficult
>>
>>7273373
It's relatively easy work, physically, actually.
>>
>>7273379
If you can handle long hours on your feet in 95 degree heat, I guess. Also have to ignore constant little burns all over your arms and hands as a unavoidable.
>>
>>7273379
>>7273373
Its more mentally demanding than physically demanding. You have to be able to stay focused and work quickly and accurately while under a lot of pressure.

>>7273294
i agree with you mostly but just because they are not chefs doesn't mean there is no understanding of their food. I dont know shit about food i'm basically just a temperature/time/assembly robot like you said but i work with line cooks who are really skilled and knowledgeable. Not to the extent of a professional chef but certainly more than your average cu/ck/

>>7272729
thats because stations are meant to be worked two or three at a time, the regular employees probably work more than one station alone every day. Every shitty restaurant ive worked at is understaffed 90% of the time and everyone has to work multiple stations
>>
>>7273294
>My mom
lol
>>7273373

~30 years in the industry. Last 10 years exec. chef. 2 as sous here, 2 as sous there...
There is no fucking way I would EVER be a line cook at Denny's or the like. Not because I don't know how to cook, but because of how hard it is on you physically. It's a young person's game. Takes a lot of stamina.
The places that I work at get "busy", but NOTHING like what those poor lost souls have to go through in a shift.
At least there is pleasure derived from putting out great food. What does a Denny's cook have? ?? "I finished my shift"???
Turn and burn is way harder. Quit saying "chef". It means "chief". As a chief I did scheduling, food costing, inventory, ordering, and baby sitting. That's what a chef does.
oh, and a small amount of cooking and menu development.
>>
>>7272531
The only thing difficult about cooking is trying to juggle cooking multiple different things that finish at the same time.
>>
>>7273436
Lemme guess, you are "executive chef" at some major brand or chain where all the thinking was done in advance and you just parrot the corporate menu.

No one was denying that its physically intensive work or "worse" than being a chef, just that its not the same job. A chef has to have training and education of the principles required for the cuisine he is making. He should be able to create a menu on his own and understand they "why" of everything he is doing. A proper chef should be able to completely control the end product of his kitchen without any influence or instruction from management if need be.

Unfortunately the term "chef" is lazily thrown around these days, and although I don't doubt you personally are good at the food you cook within the designated repertoire you have been given for your alleged 30 years in the business, you clearly are under some strange misconceptions of what it takes.
>>
>>7273468

Do you think you need to get some kind of a special degree to become a chef?

They start as a line cooks, start taking on more responsibilities, usually move up to sous, and eventually become chefs. There's no reason a chef needs to have all the extra, special knowledge that line cooks who've been doing it for years by definition don't have.
>>
>>7273430
Eh, that wasn't my experience really but whatever. I had joint pain issues so maybe it just felt more physically demanding
>>
>>7273477
>Do you think you need to get some kind of a special degree to become a chef?

Yes. Or at the very least you have to apprentice to a good chef, who in turn has to have gone to culinary school or trained under a good chef ect.
>>
>>7273601

Even restaurants without Michelin stars have chefs, you know.
>>
>>7273414
95 degree heat? You must have some really good ventilation
>>
Here is my take on the the whole issue. I and and many of my friends are Denny's lifers. A little background, grew up in NY, started as a server at an Italian restaurant and pizzaria, eventually weasled my way into the kitchen and eventually moved to prep cook and pizza man. Then I worked a Southern style BBQ place for a while, then my sister got me a job as a cook at a diner she worked in.

After that I got a job at Denny's and worked there for 5 of he best years in my 20's. Like someone said before, its a young man's game. Late nights getting slammed with orders, 95 guest count hours on an overnight with just 2 of us in there cooking! Sunday morings with all cooks in deck, packed kitchen, packed house. Man, those were the days. We were all young guys making crazy good money, working nights then going to party. Like most restaurant staffs we spent way too much time together, work, party, gym, smokeing weed out back when the place quieted down.

As far as cooking, I learned a lot, much more than any place I worked before. I was not making any fancy sauces or the like, but I was churning out pancakes, burgers, chicken strips, steaks, pot roast, etc. Basically a lot of good, simple comfort food. The emphasis on speed helped me a lot too, a good Denny's crew can knock those checks out quick (company standard is 8 min checks). Cont ...
>>
...Contd.
Don't work in he food industry anymore but all my Denny's bros and I still hang out. People love coming over to my house for me to cook for them. Tomorrow my bud from my office is coming by because he said he got shit for a bbq. Im glad to cook and entertain. My wife's gaybro who went to culinary school but is too much of a pansy to survive in a real kitchen (he does not work, quit his only cooking job in th first week cuz kitchen staffs are all assholes) talks down to my cooking experience, but when he comes over, he brings shitty food that he talks about taking hours to cook. I call him a theoretical cook because for all his big talk he cannot cut it in a kitchen.
>>
>>7273901
>making crazy good money at Dennys

I'm actually curious, how were you making crazy good money at Dennys? I've never heard something like that before. Is it because you got to split the tips over a small staff?
>>
>>7273294
>Line-cooks are glorified assembly line workers.
I still wonder why we don't have robots cooking our food yet. This goes for fast food as well.

I'd much rather prefer a machine preparing my meal rather than some high-school dropout doing God-knows-what to my food.
>>
>>7273921
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvDXrZX-SCA

this is the cutting edge of food service robotics

come back in a decade when the hardware can match the software
>>
>>7273912
We made pretty good money. I was making more money than the daytime manager who I worked with 3 shifts a week (I did 3 weekdays and 2 overnights). Also you could dual rate, that is serve some shifts and cook some shifts. My bud Ali served all week but cooked on weekends because he hated dealing with the Sat/Sun crowds.

We didnt split tips wih servers or anything of the sort, but you are paid based on what you can do and good negotiating. From my previous pizza and diner experience I used to make pizza, pies and apple crisps rather than having those things come in from a supplyer.

The owner of our store owned 6 of them and us staff frequently rotated to other stores other than our home store depending on if they needed us and he asked. It also helped shareing with other stores. We always had a shitload of deserts and kids pizzas because of me which I would make and freeze. Then there was an old Philipino guy at another of our stores who was he roast beef guy.
>>
>>7273949
Leave it to Japan to make a robot with hands that spends 30 seconds to grab a knife instead of just attaching a blade to a robotic arm.
>>
>>7274027
I think the point is that you can drop this sort of robot in a standard kitchen instead of having to buy a specialized robot for every task.
>>
Well done, OP. You've successfully created yet another troll thread and attracted replies with minimal effort and finesse.
>>
>>7272602
Keko
>>
>>7272531
I'm sure it's really hard to microwave all that food.
>>
>>7274270
You cant microwave wings and tenders and have them crispy, you cant microwave steak etc....
>>
>>7275938
Fine, combination oven/microwave/grill
>>
When the fuck did Denny's get so expensive?
>>
>>7276197
it was never cheap outside a few items
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.