[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything wrong with eating canned food?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 151572910.jpg (2 MB, 2122x1415) Image search: [Google]
151572910.jpg
2 MB, 2122x1415
Is there anything wrong with eating canned food?
>>
Just a lot of preservatives, but who cares about that shit anyway.
>>
Anchovies and sardines are great, beans are more convenient with almost no difference from dried, and tomatoes are better canned when they're not in season.
>>
>>7268898
The texture is god awful if it's certain canned vegetables
>>
They add a lot of extra salt in canned beans and veggies. I like to be able to control my salt content so I avoid them for that reason alone. Otherwise they provide a nice shortcut and long shelf life.
>>
Anyone here have any recipes for canned salmon chowders?
Been rooting around the major sites for them, and I got a dozen cans of the stuff.
>>
>>7268898
All of the food is way overcooked before you even open them, due to the canning process. You also end up eating trace amounts of aluminum that gets absorbed into the food.
>>
>>7269317

>canned salmon chowders

That honesty sounds pretty terrible, but the few times I've tried canned salmon it wasn't very good to begin with.
>>
>>7268898
For canned food, who is your first choice?
>>
>>7268898
canned tomatoes are better than fresh when not in season.
canned corn is okay.
canned anchovies are good.
i think any other stuff you can't get fresh (especially vegetables) you should buy frozen.
>>
In general, no. Some canned stuff is great (peas, cream of mushroom soup). Some is so disgusting I wouldn'
t wish it on my worst enemy (canned spinach).
>>
>>7269317

No, this isn't my Web site, but I made this and it's pretty good: http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Surf-n-Turf_Chowder
>>
File: dota2laughingskeletons.png (28 KB, 553x495) Image search: [Google]
dota2laughingskeletons.png
28 KB, 553x495
>>7268980
>3-15% of brine is salt
>An amount
>>
>>7269912
>Some canned stuff is great (peas, cream of mushroom soup

While I agree with you that some canned foods are good while others are not, you've gotta be kidding about those two.
>canned peas
Overcooked. Beyond overcooked.

>cream of mushroom soup
Seriously? It's overly salty with very little mushroom in it.
>>
>>7268898
>Is there anything wrong with eating canned food?
some can be salty, and most people throw away the "broth" they were canned with which kind of makes it less nutritious but overall canned food is perfectly fine.
>>
No just be sure to supplement fresh foods in with canned food
>>
>>7268898
>Is there anything wrong with eating canned food?

Canned food is cooked for a long time in giant industrial pressure cookers in order to sterilize the contents of the can and protect against spoilage. That means the food can last a very long time but the long cooking time is not good for some ingredients.

Things like kidney/pinto/black/etc beans work great as canned food since they have a naturally long cooking time anyway. On the other hand most green vegetables only need to be cooked for a couple of minutes, if that. So things like spinach, peas, green beans end up overcooked.
>>
>>7268898
The hardest thing about eating a vegetable is the wheelchair.
>>
>>7270386
>>
>>7268898
Is organic canned food any better?
>>
>>7270411
Better? Yes
By how much? Not much
>>
The only canned thing i eat is beans i dont eat canned vegetables
>>
>>7268898

whats the stuff on the inside of the tin, bisphemol or something. they know its bad but would cost too much to change their factories or something.
>>
>>7270546
http://www.ewg.org/research/bpa-canned-food
>>
I can my own food and it is quite good with few of the drawbacks of conventionally canned foods-
- no preservatives
- low salt
- raw packed for more nutrition retention
- glass jars do not leach metals into your food
>>
>>7270566
Good point. While good quality fresh ingredients are always superior to canned home canned is superior to industrially canned food in metal tins.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.