[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That'll be all, sir. Would you also donate $1 for the starving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
File: grocery clerk.jpg (361 KB, 1269x833) Image search: [Google]
grocery clerk.jpg
361 KB, 1269x833
That'll be all, sir. Would you also donate $1 for the starving children?
>>
no thank you
>>
>>7267288
"Didn't Southpark do this bit?"
>>
Does this actually happen or is it just a south park joke?
>>
>>7267296

Happend to me at KFC yesterday.
>>
>>7267288
If you buy your food at a place like that you deserve what you get.
>>
It wouldnt piss me off if these "charity" companies were not scams. That Dollar isnt going to a hungry kid, its paying some corporate asshole or being used to advertise more. Just the fact they paid off the grocery stores to force their clerks to say this line should let you know how crooked they are. If you want to feed poor people,donate actual food to a food bank or ask your local church if they organize anything like that.
>>
>>7267288
No Bill Cosby, I'm afraid not today.
>>
>>7267299
it happens in fast food restaurants too, there is no escape from this faggotry

like, literally the whole fucking reason I live in america is so I dont have to deal with starving children.
also I believe sometimes dead is better. The world is overpopulated and if all these starving people in the 3rd world dustbowls died off, there would be enough resources left for the remaining ones to live healthy lives.
There has to be a purge of the dead weight. the most generous thing you can do is leave them alone because the dollar you donate isnt going to radically change their lives, its just going to keep them barely alive for one more day. you are only prolonging their suffering
>>
>>7267288
No thanks, oh, can I have some rohypnol too.
>>
>which charity?
"I don't know."
>no, then.

"Would you like to donate money for cancer?"
>of course not! why would anyone be /for/ cancer? i'm against cancer!
":: keks :: You knew what I meant!"
>still no.

Pretty easy, m80-o.
>>
>>7267288
What i hate even more is being bombarded on my way into and out of the grocery store by people trying to sell shit or get donations.

The best answer is "not today".
>>
>>7267311

I take my trolle reply back, I actually agree with you.
>>
>>7267288
What is Bill Cosby doing working at the grocery store? I thought he was in jail.
>>
>>7267311
>like, literally the whole fucking reason I live in america is so I dont have to deal with starving children.
>also I believe sometimes dead is better. The world is overpopulated and if all these starving people in the
There are lots of starving children in America. It has noting to do with overpopulation. It's a structural issue. There's more than enough food to go around - tons and tons of it are thrown in the garbage every day. Wherever people are starving it's because someone somewhere is refusing to distribute food to them.
>happens in fast food restaurants too, there is no escape from this faggotry
Again, if you get your groceries from a huge supermarket and eat at fast food restaurants you get what you deserve.Patronize these kind of corporations and they will try to suck you into their meaningless feel good corporate do goodery.
>>
>>7267345
food is perishable, production rate doesn't matter if it cant travel
and people dont starve in america, they may miss meals, they might get mild nutrient deficiencies, but nobody here is starving

starvation is little to no food available to you for days and weeks at a time

and the point still stands, in the shit countries they don't even have the means of production to create excess, they are overpopulated and suffering because of it.
when any animal is suffering the most humane thing you can do is end its suffering, the rules dont change for humans. sometimes dead is better
>>
>>7267305
>donate food to a food bank
As someone who has actual experience with food banks and other charities, you're mistaken.

No one wants your canned sauerkraut or off-brand soup mix.

Donate money, but make sure it's to a charity that merits the donation. You'd be surprised how far a foodbank can make a dollar stretch.

Or donate your time.

Foodbanks and other charities need money for operations. Space for operation and storage, electricity to keep the place running, gas to cook the food if it's also got a kitchen besides a pantry and all that stuff all costs money and, despite what you may believe, very few landlords or utility companies give discounts or free space for charities.

Also, advertising by way of supermarket mentions is free and not paid for because the tax breaks said supermarket gets for it. No charity pays any supermarket for that. Secondly, as for how charities, particularly foodbanks, which are very seldom scams (or at least I've never heard of one ever being a scam), stretch their bucks, supermarkets, wholesalers and manufacturers/farmers will hold products for charities that are unfit for sale for various reasons. It might be wonky looking produce from a farmer (like two-pronged carrots or something), egregious overstock/items taking too much space for too long (like an clerical error resulting in an order of too much instant rice) etc; basically stuff not easily available for public purchase. It's sold to foodbanks at a huge discount (rather than donated outright for some reason). I recall once going out on a pick up run and for $100, being able to fill a whole storage van full of wonky fresh veg.

Actual food donations to food banks aren't generally good. We have to throw most of it out because it's expired and we have to follow safe food handling code or because we have seventeen kajillion cans of green beans and need the space for other things or no one wants cranberry sauce without the turkey that goes with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 413x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 413x323
>>7267311
>>
>>7267288
fuck you bill cosby, you're not going to rape me
>>
>>7267363
You sound like someone who hasn't traveled much, because the views you express are antiquated and provincial.
>in the shit countries they don't even have the means of production to create excess, they are overpopulated and suffering because of it.
Today we have things called trucks, ships and airplanes that allow food to travel from where its grown to where it's consumed. Most folks are not living agrarian lives these days, yet there is plenty of food. If people are starving the problem is structural/political, not a question of population or not enough food to go around.

And if heavy handed corporate attempts at charity bother you stop shopping at those corporations.
>>
File: 1414970407064.jpg (75 KB, 500x668) Image search: [Google]
1414970407064.jpg
75 KB, 500x668
>>7267298
>>
>Sure, and give your children my regards
>>
>>7267368
Actually, I do have experience with food banks. I would just ask what they need and go get it for them. It was usually stuff that goes bad quickly.
Also, it was just a matter of a few posts before someone started talking about South Park. Lol
>>
>>7267393
That's pretty funny.

>Buy this extra large super mega sugar drink and we'll donate to the diabetes foundation.
>>
No, I hate poor people.
>>
>>7267386
>Today we have things called trucks, ships and airplanes that allow food to travel from where its grown to where it's consumed
and why would someone put resources towards doing it? who is going to foot the bill?
the government? you want tax payers to pay to send food to people in other parts of the world that contribute nothing?

they are better off dead
>>
>>7267288

Nope.
>>
>>7267431
>who is going to foot the bill?
In the US the government heavily subsidizes food production both by agricultural policies and subsidies. Your tax dollars already fund a ridiculous surplus of corn and milk. And rich countries do send food aid to poorer countries on a regular basis.

In places where people are starving it's not because there is no food to feed them, but because the food is unable to get to them because of politics. In the 21st Century famine is always a political thing.
>>
No, and you're not going to make me feel guilty about refusing.

I give to MSF and a couple homeless shelters. I sure as shit ain't giving it to some shitty unethical grocery store chain so they can look good.
>>
>>7267409
I didn't talk about South Park. I wasn't even aware it was still on TV. What are you on about?
>>
>>7267485
Real talk, senpai: Problems are almost never just a matter of money. The ones that are tend to be resolved quickly. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is trying to grift you. Even when a problem is mainly about money, how money is being allocated is at least as important as the money itself. The reason the public schools in California are so shit isn't because they're underfunded (although they are), but because bureaucrats and administrators waste the money they do get. If we try to fix it by simply throwing money at the problem without making any other changes, they're just going to waste that money as well.
>>
>>7267288
That bag on the ground
>>
>>7267807
It's a loaf of bread.
>>
File: 05.png (266 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
05.png
266 KB, 540x304
>>7267488
>MSF
>>
>>7267368

lolwat

The food bank I have takes anything, somebody will take it.

Now if you're talking about the food distribution organization that supports a food bank network your comment applies.

I've volunteered at both parts until I realized how dumb it was.
>>
>>7267821
Why was it dumb?
>>
>>7267311
If you didn't want to deal with starving children, you'd live in social democracy.
>>
>>7267288
If I'm not paying $0.10 per bag, I'm not paying for some other man's seedlings.
>>
>>7267816
Who do you give to? Some religious organization that spends it all on evangelism and training more ministers?
>>
>>7267826

Both places had actual on staff employees so when volunteers came in all eager to help their community and so forth the employees basically just had extended breaks (with the exception of operating machinery though after a few years they let me operate it)

You basically do their work for them for free.

Also, and this applies only to the local food bank not the distribution center, but a significant portion of the people the food bank helped wee basically fucking assholes, between trashing the place and leaving litter everywhere.

Also the CEO of the nonprofit that operates it makes 130k a year.

Actual homeless shelters are more rewarding to volunteer at but frankly I think I just hate people now.
>>
>>7267834

I don't think he's criticizing your choice of donation, he's making a MGS joke because the fictional organization in that game has the same acronym and if you're in the US you generally know MSF as Doctors without Borders.
>>
>>7267308
Came here to say this
>>
>living off min-wage
>barely can't scrape enough money to cover rent
>white male
>fml when they look down on me when i say no

Fuck them. Fuckem hard
>>
>>7267288
I'll donate a coupon to subway.
>>
>>7267867
I know that feel senpai. I'm fortunate I got good at cooking off a low budget or else I'd be gone by now
>>
>tfw I never encounter this at my Aldi
>>
>>7267288
I usually say "not this time" to imply that I recently did, even though I probably didn't
>>
File: h_51611178-714x993.jpg (275 KB, 714x993) Image search: [Google]
h_51611178-714x993.jpg
275 KB, 714x993
when they ask me to round up to the next €.10 for the sake of the local refugee home, i just say "spare me".

thanks mutti
>>
>>7267940
This.
>>
>>7267520
Im "on about" the people that started refering to South Park. not everything is about (You).
>>
>>7267821
I never said they won't take it. I said that they won't want it and/or will have to discard of it anyway. As said, foodbanks (which are called pantries here for some reason) have limited space and can't afford to have it hunkered down with fifteen cases of canned green beans.

Kitchens, however, will use just about anything. There was one place I used to volunteer for (that has since closed because the area gentrified and all the nouveau riche whities that moved into the area didn't like that there was a place filled with homeless near their precious half-million-dollar townhomes that they paid too much for) that operated a kitchen. The cook there wants used various disparate cans of veg, mostly green beans, spinach and potatoes (I didn't even know canned potatoes were a thing) and blitzed them all up in the blender with stock and a bit of cream. Then, she brought some onions to a sweat and poured the purée over top and seasoned with salt, pepper and some nutmeg. It was surprisingly not only edible, but actually good!

The place is long gone now, ever since that area gentrified and I don't know any kitchens that aren't also shelters and the like, but there are various pantries all throughout the city in places you may never think would have them.

While you might expect a food bank inside the offices of a disabled advocacy group, I was surprised that there was one in the psychologist's office around the corner from my firm's offices.
>>
>>7267393
no way
>>
>>7267296

Wendy's did a promo where you donate a dollar, and you got a card which gives you a free Jr Frosty with any purchase for a year.
>>
Would you also suck my dick for free?
>>
>>7267288
>people think cashiers do this of their own volition
>people think cashiers actually give a shit if you don't donate

No, the sour look cashiers give you is not about you choosing to not donate. It's because they have some limp dick, squealing CSM grabbing their ass to push for more donations so their CSM's quarter can look good to upper management. Cashiers hate asking because 1) They know most people won't donate but they're obligated to ask anyway and 2) They hate hearing the same tired ass lie like "I did it last week" as if they're too dumb to recognize the lie because inept shits can't just flatly say "No thank you."
It has nothing to do with shaming or good will.
It's everything to do with the store squeezing its lower totems so they can bilk the community while looking good superficially for "donating" to various causes while charging customers exuberant prices for food and service.

Want to see this shit gone? Then write to corporate.
>implying you will do anything
>>
I just had one of those 'starving children' charity hustlers come to my apartment door. I reverse psychology'd him by pointing out how run down my apartment was and how it could be reasonably inferred on the basis of this that *I* was the one who was starving.
>>
>>7268138
It depresses me that I'll never have sex with that woman.
>>
>>7267288

Fuck the starving children, probably niggers anyways.
>>
>>7267288
Yes, I would. Could I return all this stuff just bought? I need the money for charity.
>>
>>7268911
Just make yourself look like a refuge, then do whatever you want to her.
>>
>>7267345
Most food that is wasted is lost due to pests or disease. The rest is wasted on the consumers end. (Leftovers that went bad, got buried in the fridge/pantry, etc).
>>
>>7268284
Doesnt a frosty junior only cost a dollar anyway?
>>
File: 1452387321837.jpg (31 KB, 449x546) Image search: [Google]
1452387321837.jpg
31 KB, 449x546
>back in highschool
>work at Sobeys on cash
>christmas is around the corner
>"Let's do a fundraiser for welfare bums who are gonna have a shit Christmas because they can't straighten their own lives out!"
>"Even better idea! Let's advertise it all over the store with posters of some of the local recipients!"
>store is plastered in ads with some of the homliest, ugliest meth heads
>one poster has a chinese family on it
>coincidentally, they come in one day and see it
>they're tell the manager to take it down because they're not poor by any stretch (he ran his own doctor's office, she worked as his secretary)
>also because it makes them look less than human

Donation shit is a joke. I'd never ask anyone because they'd be annoyed by it, and I would be annoyed by doing it the few times I had to when my boss would be around.
>>
No, thank you. Have a good day.
>>
>>7267305
The dollar is getting to the kids Anon. The scam is that the grocery corporations get to account for all those dollars as a charitable donation as a whole, while the average folks who gave the dollar dont even remember it come tax season. The Groceries can afford to have CPA's that keep track of every cent. You are giving a dollar to the kids, but you are also giving a dollar in tax writeoffs to the store.
>>
>>7267288
>old boomer who wasted money buying useless shit taking a job a teenager should be doing
>>
>>7267296
Happens a lot at K Mart
>>
>>7269652
>implying a big grocery chain with an army of corporate lawyers advising them of this and that would use peoples' photographs without signed waivers, thereby opening them to various lawsuits
Why do you lie to the internet, Canakiddo?

>>7269172
Yeah, but this way, you can theoretically get 365 frosties for the price of 2 (you have to buy one frosty for a dollar, then another for the frosty voucher keychain thingy).
It's like a season pass to an amusement park, only even more cost effective. Amusement park season passes have to be used like three or four times in one summer to save you cash while this frosty card only needs to be used twice before it starts to be a bargain.
>>
oogah booga haha just kidding nigger no I would not
>>
>>7267393
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anon thank you <3
>>
>>7267296
Have you ever left the house?
>>
>>7267311
>like, literally the whole fucking reason I live in america is so I dont have to deal with starving children.

Try moving to a first world country then ya dingus.
>>
>>7267288
Not today, thank you.
>>
>>7267288
HAHAHHAHAHA.

No.
>>
>>7267288
I got my W2 yesterday. All said and done, I just managed to scrape together 22k, working 35+ hours a week while in school.

Someone more affluent can help those kids, I have to feed myself.
>>
File: omar.gif (370 KB, 250x172) Image search: [Google]
omar.gif
370 KB, 250x172
I don't offer explanations. I either ignore them or just shake my head slightly. Mostly I ignore the question and continue with whatever was pertinent.
>>
>>7267288
>mon-fri
>wake up at 430 am, shower
>wake son up at 500, take to babysitter
>sit in hour and a half traffic
>arrive at work 730, work until 6 pm most days
>pick son up after fighting traffic for an hour, he falls asleep on way home, lay him down at 8pm shower and go to sleep
>Saturday go to the grocery store and cashier wants me to donate money to niggers who sat on their ass all week

No
>>
>>7267488
DONATE NOW BITCH NIGGA OR IM SMASHING ALL YOUR FUCKING EGGS FUCK YOU
>>
>the grocery store slightly changed the script that /ck/ has followed successfully so far
>/ck/ has a complete mental breakdown and can't cope anymore but just sits in the corner muttering and mentally going through several possible new scripts to follow
Jesus you guys really are artistic aren't you
>>
>>7272866
*my wife's son
>>
>>7272922
Kek sometimes I wish
>>
>>7267288

why is bill cosby working at the grocery store
>>
File: lsbg0tpYAE1qzhnmco1_500.jpg (245 KB, 600x895) Image search: [Google]
lsbg0tpYAE1qzhnmco1_500.jpg
245 KB, 600x895
>>7267288
nah, just give me the starving kid and i'll feed her myself.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.