[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help with this mess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 20160113_120410.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160113_120410.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I was using this handle holder thing to get my cast iron skillet out of the oven and it melted on there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this shit off? Feels kinda like dried plastic.
>>
>>7264072

>clean out freezer
>put pan in freezer
>come back tomorrow
>offensive shit pops right off

Don't do it again.
>>
what's wrong with oven gloves and dish cloths?
>>
File: 1448231635305.jpg (56 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
1448231635305.jpg
56 KB, 500x385
>>7264072
>>
>>7264072
Get a torch and blast it off. Then just re-season that area.

Source: done this before
>>
>>7264085
>re-season that area

It's the handle. It doesn't need to be re-seasoned.

And blasting it off will cause even more of a mess and since OP is a retard already he'll probably light his cheap flat on fire.

8/10 for getting me to post.
>>
You might have to grind or wire brush it off. I don't think any household solvents dissolve plastic, depending on what kind it is
>>
>>7264090
>It doesn't need to be re-seasoned.
The torch is going to blast off the seasoning, exposing the iron to let it rust. So yes, it needs to be reseasoned, faggot.
>blasting it off will cause even more of a mess
What is the great outdoors? Find some fucking pavement. I hope you're the dumbest person I have to interact with today. That'd be great.
>>
>>7264096

>exposed iron rusts

Jesus you've never actually owned a cast iron skillet before, have you?

No, anon, exposed iron does not "automatically rust." Unless of course by automatically you mean after you let it sit in water for four or five days or after you take it out of the dishwasher.

Please tell me you're from Australia.
>>
Thanks for the help!
Should have mention that the holder itself isn't stuck on the handle. It's just a little bit of some type of melted shit that's stuck.
>>
>>7264096

>on 4chan
>not wanting dumb people

Heh I see what you did.
>>
>>7264099
>"automatically rust."
Never said that.

The humidity in the air will absolutely rust iron.
>>
>>7264099
It can indeed, it's called flash rusting. Any time the ambient humidity is high, you can get flash rusting.
>>
>>7264099
You have clearly never had a completely stripped cast iron pan.

I recently stripped 2 cast iron pans to give them the flax oil base coat. After washing the degreaser off of them, they started to rust even before they dried.

It literally happens in seconds on raw iron. It does automatically start to rust.
>>
>>7264113
Yeah... I live in florida, and the humidity in the air will absolutely ruin a stripped pan.
>>
File: 20160113_123618-1.jpg (3 MB, 2668x1811) Image search: [Google]
20160113_123618-1.jpg
3 MB, 2668x1811
Well I torched it for a couple of minutes and it's just kinda sizzling on there. Before I continue, I want to make sure it's not making it worse. By asking /ck/ of course
>>
>>7264292
>>7264273

Sorry. I've honestly never even heard of this.
>>
Leave it, use a rag from now on like you should have from the start.
>>
>>7264357

You might also be confusing BARE IRON with a SEASONED cast iron pan. The latter is not bare; it is covered with a layer of polymerized oil.
>>
>>7264325
I'm the guy who suggested it. You have to keep doing it until it turns to ash.
>>
>>7264314
it's 50 degrees with rather low humidity today. And I live less than 5 minutes from the beach
>>
File: 91OZN9lmo4L._SL1500_.jpg (170 KB, 1500x1489) Image search: [Google]
91OZN9lmo4L._SL1500_.jpg
170 KB, 1500x1489
Quick hijack...so when you initially season a skillet, oil goes on all surfaces, correct? Handle, underside?

What about when you oil it after using and cleaning it? Do I just oil the cooking surface? I ask cause the whole thing usually ends up wet after scrubbing it down.
>>
Is that a Griswold?
>>
>>7264368
I season every single surface of the pan initially. There is no reason you wouldn't.

But for the post wash oil rub down I usually just do the inside of the pan. The outside usually doesn't need that much extra care unless it starts to lose its coating and you see a bit of rust appear. It wont hurt if you oil everything though.
>>
>>7264368
>when you initially season a skillet, oil goes on all surfaces, correct? Handle, underside?
Yes, yes, and yes. Any exposed iron can and will rust.

>What about when you oil it after using and cleaning it? Do I just oil the cooking surface?

I've gone years only doing the cooking surface. It's fine.

Nowadays I wouldn't do that just because taking care of my stuff is part of the fun.
>>
>>7264375

This. At first you season the entire pan so that it doesn't rust. From then on you really only need to pay attention to the inside, because that's where all the cooking and most of the scrubbing happens. The outside doesn't get much wear so it's rare that it needs to be re-seasoned.

>> It wont hurt if you oil everything though.

As long as you keep the amount of oil small, yes. You don't want to keep glopping oil on there so that it gets sticky. A properly seasoned pan is black and shiny with no trace of stickiness on it.
>>
>using lodge

lol
>>
>>7264380
>As long as you keep the amount of oil small, yes. You don't want to keep glopping oil on there so that it gets sticky. A properly seasoned pan is black and shiny with no trace of stickiness on it.

That is a really good point to make, always use as little oil as possible and really only if your need it. The first time I tried seasoning a cast iron pan, I built up a layer, but it was (relatively) gummy and soft. Not a great non stick surface because it easily flecked away. If you can pick at the seasoning on the side of your pan or if your pan feels sticky you know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>7264393
It's Griswold. Look at the 7 on the handle.
>>
i got a vintage griswold no 5 for christmas from the in-laws and spent a day seasoning it all nicely.

made my son some scrabbled eggs in it, cleaned it and set it on the stove to cool.

i got home from work yesterday and my wife used it to cook hot dogs. no oil, no butter, just hot dogs in the pan on high heat.

i was pissed.
>>
>Quick hijack...so when you initially season a skillet, oil goes on all surfaces, correct? Handle, underside?

Yes to all of this

>What about when you oil it after using and cleaning it? Do I just oil the cooking surface? I ask cause the whole thing usually ends up wet after scrubbing it down.

Depends on how much time I have. Last weekend I made a steak and after cleaning it ( I use a chain mail scrubber) I oiled it all over and threw it in the oven for three hours. Usually though I'll just heat it back up after cleaning and wipe it down on the cooking surface and the outer sides until it smokes a wee bit.
>>
>>7264409
Good news. Worst case scenario, you can strip and re-season it. I doubt hot dogs did much, though.

Just occurred to me that cast iron skillets are the mechanical keyboards of cooking.
>>
Are these things really worth all the hassle they involve?
>>
File: 20160113_134148-1.jpg (2 MB, 2266x1591) Image search: [Google]
20160113_134148-1.jpg
2 MB, 2266x1591
Ehh it's working. But very time and fuel consuming. I'll either finish is this way or bust out the oven cleaner for just the handle. Will have to be re-seasoning of course.
Again, thank you for your help.
And yes it is a griswold #7 10" skillet
>>
>>7264449

Keep in mind that if you're doing it right it is very little hassle: season the pan when you first get it (or buy a pre-seasoned pan). Don't leave it wet, soak it, or run it in the dishwasher. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Some people sperg out and reseason the pan every time they use it but honestly that's completely unnecessary.
>>
>>7264462
Looks like all it needs now is a good scraping with a wire brush and then reseasoning.
>>
Aren't you supposed to put your hand inside that thing and use it to grip whatever hot shit using the black silicone outside the 'glove'?
>>
>>7264537
Looks like he was using something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-HHMT-Temp-Handle-Black/dp/B00063RWG6

It slips on over the handle. I bet the handle heated above 450F and melted the interior.
>>
>>7264075
Should have listened to this person op
>>
>>7264072
>he didn't use a moist dishcloth
>>
File: cant wake up.png (226 KB, 468x345) Image search: [Google]
cant wake up.png
226 KB, 468x345
>>7264072
Is that 2 mousepads sewn together?
>>
>>7265117
Wake up!
>>
>>7264099
I could strip cast iron bare, then put it in the oven and blast it for an hour and it will come out with rust on it. You most definitely need to get some sort of oil on it at minimum. It's best to reseason because then you don't have to worry about wiping it off.
>>
>>7264325
It's fucking cast iron. You can't make anything worse. If all else is lost, just take a brillo pad to it or a sanding sponge. It's a hunk of cast iron. Nothing is going to phase it unless you try using it as a baseball bat or something. If you fuck anything up you can always strip it and start over, and being the handle, who gives a shit.
>>
>>7264555
Moist? To increase the heat transfer to your hands?
>>
>>7264368
One of my skillets is so well seasoned it comes out dry after I wash it with water. I don't even oil it anymore.
>>
>>7265230
I should probably add. My normal procedure is to put about a half tablespoon of oil in a cloth and rub the whole thing down. I usually season them very well initially so it's hardly necessary.
>>
>>7265230
I have one like that as well. I just wash it out with hot water and tilt it to the side and the water all just beads up and rolls right off.
>>
>>7265220
This
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.