[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tomato Soup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: tomato-soup-recipe.jpg (236 KB, 720x486) Image search: [Google]
tomato-soup-recipe.jpg
236 KB, 720x486
Hey /ck/, any tips/recipes for tomato soup?

All the recipes I find online say to use canned tomatoes, but I hate how much salt is in that shit.
>>
>>7263099
wut? Don't buy tomato sauce, buy whole peeled tomatoes. Preferably a good brand. Don't remember offhand but America's Test Kitchen usually does staple ingredient reviews.
>>
>>7263099
See what you gotta do is, cut the soup with a big handful of bread crumbs
>>
>>7263099
Check the Contadina labels.
One has much less salt.
>>
>>7263099
Always use a lot of salt.
>>
>>7263127
this
>>
olive oil
garlic
onion
thyme
san marzano tomatoes in tomato puree
salt
pepper
blender
strain (if you wish)
cream
basil

The best tomato soup is really simple in my experience. I know mirepoix is common, but I can't stand the taste of carrot and celery in tomato soup. I sometimes don't even add the onion.

I've never encountered overly salty canned tomatoes. I always have to add more salt to them.
>>
Don't forget the canola oil.
>>
>>7263099
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2075/tomato-soup
It was on the first search page for "tomato soup recipe" at duckduckgo. You just have to not bother looking at the usual dud sites.

I know one of the ingredients is a splash of tomato puree, but you can just make that yourself.
>>
>>7263159
good base recipe.
straining is to fancy for me. just get an industry sized blender. for the fancy shit do a consomme.
you can skip the cream, use more olive oil and maybe change thyme with oregano or add it to the soup.

more economical option is to add some water and tomato paste + more salt, but that`s not necessary in a private setting.
>>
Use contadina, you can be comfortable in their sodium content
>>
>>7263291
>>7263159
Stick blender is your friend
>>
Figured someone in here would know: is there anything you can do with the INSIDE of tomatoes? I have like 6 freezer bags of frozen, pulpy tomato guts, no clue what to do with them.
>>
Anyone else add sodium bicarbonate to their tomato soup to lower the acidity and ph?
>>
>>7263335
>lower the acidity and ph
>>
>>7263335
>Anyone else add sodium bicarbonate to their tomato soup to lower the acidity and ph?
Lowering the ph is the same as raising the acidity. Raising the ph makes something more alkaline.

But it doesn't work like you think with tomato sauce/soup. Cooking a tomato until it doesn't taste acidic anymore isn't about actually changing the ph, it's about bringing out enough sweetness to balance the acidity.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.