[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it really bad to serve frozen meals in a resturant? Im watching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
Is it really bad to serve frozen meals in a resturant? Im watching kitchen nightmares and gordon ramsey always complains about it.
>>
He got caught doing it so
>>
Yes you undoubtedly fat shit
>>
>>7261949
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/apr/18/gordon-ramsay-preprepared-meals-offsite-kitchen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/5169631/Gordon-Ramsay-accused-of-using-ready-meals-in-his-restaurants.html
>>
>>7261949
When you tell them it's fresh and it's frozen, it's bad. As long as you're up front and don't call your hush puppies "award winning" when they haven't won an award
>>
>>7261951
>>7261954
His employees* got caught doing that. He doesn't really work at all his restaurants, just sets the rules and leaves it to make money
>>
>>7261965
Have you seen Kitchen Nightmares? He yells at the owners for doing exactly that.
>>
>>7261971
I've never worked in a resturant so i dunno whats bad/good
>>
The Hormel compleats are not frozen. They are on the dry aisle at stores, not the frozen section. Like chef boyardee but tasting bad. About once a year I crave a TV dinner like a Hungry Man or something. I don't know why. I remember back in the 80s my Mom would go on a special trip and let us all pick out our own dinner and back then you could bake the trays in the oven and we didn't have a microwave. It was so salty and good. I wouldn't want a restaurant where I expect fresh food to serve me stuff like that, though. I know every place just about uses at least some frozen stuff though right?
>>
Was it the Italian resteraunt with the tweaker? It was a 2-parter.
>>
I don't know about >>7261956 but I don't go out to get re-heated food. For the price eating out costs, I pay for fresh. I can get frozen food at the supermarket in larger amounts for less.
>>
This is what the entire Applebee's menu consist off.
>>
>>7261949
Depending on the resteraunt, it's somewhat expected there are SOME frozen/ready components. If you're eating at some cheap ass chain casual, it's just a tacit understanding most of the ingredients get shipped in frozen but are then combined and cooked. But for a non-corporate local place, charging non corporate local prices? No real excuse desu, thats the primary selling point of the little guys.
>>
>>7261949
It depends on the restaurant. I don't mind some frozen ingredients being used. But I'm not looking to pay 4 times what the same frozen food would cost me if I went to the local food service's cash and carry store.

I actually get it at franchise restaurants. You want a consistent experience no matter what location a customer goes to. That's also why I don't eat at chains.

My expectation is that I am paying a cook to create something for me. Not just reheat it. I don't even care if it's cooked and frozen if it's a sauce or something. Parboiling pasta ahead of time? No issues. But if it's got an ingredient, like vegetables that is going to have its texture ruined by freezing and reheating, then yeah. full on rage.
>>
Reminder: Olive Garden has no ovens in their kitchen. EVERYTHING is reheated.
>>
File: 1449450222900.jpg (254 KB, 804x600) Image search: [Google]
1449450222900.jpg
254 KB, 804x600
>>7261971
He has several restaurants in different countries so it's impossible for him to work at them all
>>
>>7263919
YOU JUST KNOW
>>
>>7261954
>>7261965
>>7261971
Gordon Ramsay is an asshole and everyone should accept it. That doesn't mean he's not entertaining tho.
>>
>>7263836
>I actually get it at franchise restaurants. You want a consistent experience no matter what location a customer goes to. That's also why I don't eat at chains.
This. If the menu and sourcing is determined by corporate offices I expect there will be a fair bit of reheating going on in the kitchen. I also expect this from any place where the menu is four pages long (or longer), because it's very unlikely any kitchen will be set up to cook a hundred or so unrelated dishes to order.

But at a certain level I expect everything to be cooked to order, or in the case of long cooking dishes cooked at least that day and finished to order.
>>
>>7263927
He's not an asshole. Sensitive babies can't seem to understand he only yells at people when they screw up bad. Go watch masterchef junior, he keeps his temper, because kids can't screw up bad. They're not going to go work for a restaurant and try to push out raw food
>>
>>7263943
He only a dramatic asshole throwing shitfits in his USA shows because that's what the producers want him to be. He's still got a potty mouth in his UK shows but you see a much calmer and friendlier side to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkt5kAhX10
>>
>>7263967
This. It's a stage persona. You'll notice that his head chefs love him whenever they're on camera. They aren't browbeaten, gun shy, timid little fucks. They are respectful of his position, and defer on camera, but they talk to him like a friend. If he was as bad as he acts on Kitchen Nightmares they would be scraping and groveling.
>>
File: 2015-09-30_11.15.05.jpg (295 KB, 1078x1322) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-30_11.15.05.jpg
295 KB, 1078x1322
>>7263927
>>7263945
Yeah he doesn't seem like too much of an asshole to normal, not retarded people. He's pretty nice on Twitter and often retweets followers.
>>
I mean, if it was prepped before hand and frozen or made off-site and I'm eating somewhere 2-star like Applebee's, Chilis etc, no I'm not bothered. If I'm eating at 3 star and up or if the frozen meal straight up came from a grocery/can be found at a grocery, yes I'm mad.
>>
>>7263981
This always gets me
>>
I have three words for you, /ck/.
Amy's Baking Company
>>
File: HQjHEsM.png (29 KB, 524x345) Image search: [Google]
HQjHEsM.png
29 KB, 524x345
>>7263981
Is Ramsey the Kamiya of the cooking world?
>>
>>7264033
Correct me if I'm wrong, but she was buying cakes, sprucing them up, and reselling them. I see nothing wrong with that.

That's like buying white t-shirts and spray painting designs on them.
>>
>>7264033
What's their story, I'm not familiar
>>
Frozen stuff that's going to be deep fried for apps makes sense to me. I don't expect a 1-2 person kitchen to be shaping moneybags and prepping prawn toast every single day.
>>
>>7263524
Thank you for that trip down memory lane, in order to explain your fixation with a frozen meal from your childhood, when life was simple and you didn't feel like killing yourself.
>>
>>7261949
Yes because what you're paying for at that point is the frozen food plus labor to microwave it, which is almost never worth the markup on the menu.

When you go out to eat, you should be paying for the food plus the expertise of the chef (or cook trained by the chef) who actually cooks it correctly.

I'm obviously glossing over things like servers, keeping the lights on, etc but that's because those are common to whatever restaurant you go to.
>>
Frozen meals are only acceptable at nationwide-chain restaurants which create a standardized product to sell, and even then only from the cheap ones.

That's about it. Beyond that the only frozen things you should get away with selling in a restaurant are novelty fried items, and desserts.
>>
>>7264044
> Amy's Baking Company
> Baking

Decorating a cake is not baking. Those are two entirely different skill sets. Most cake decorators probably couldn't bake a croissant if their life depended on it.
>>
>>7264060
Next you'll tell us that McDonald's isn't a restaurant.

Get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>7264046
>I'm not familiar

Oh boy are you in for a treat.
>>
>>7264060
I'd take greater issue if they used the word "Bakery".

"Baking Company" is like Velveeta using the term "Cheese Product"
>>
>/ck/ getting full autismo over the meaning of the word "Baking"

Amy's Baking Company was shit because her and her cuck of a husband were both full batshit insane. It wouldn't matter if she was capable of cooking 3 star food, Amy's Baking Company would still have been a disaster.
>>
File: 1452277073471.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452277073471.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>7264060
>>7264069
"baking company"
they bake pizzas
>>
>>7264063
It's a restaurant in the same way that Pluto is a planet.
>>
>>7264069
You should take issue with Velveeta too. Cheese product implies that it was a product of cheese. Which clearly it is not.

If anything, it should be marketed as "Vaguely Cheese-like Product"
>>
>>7264074
Problem solved. Next!
>>
>>7264076
McDonald's is a minor restaurant with an eccentric orbit?
>>
Note to self: Don't argue semantics on the Internet. It never works.
>>
>>7264086
You could simplify that statement.
> Don't argue on the Internet. It never works.
or
> Don't Internet. It never works.
>>
File: sadpluto.png (52 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
sadpluto.png
52 KB, 400x275
>>7264081
You can overstretch any metaphor.

McDonald's is a fast food restaurant but isn't a restaurant in the strict sense. Pluto is a dwarf planet but isn't a planet in the strict sense.
>>
>>7264283
>Pluto is a dwarf planet but isn't a planet in the strict sense.

Pluto isn't a planet in any sense.
McDonald's is a restaurant.
>>
>>7264074
>Executive Producer Kent Weed

D U D E
U
D
E
>>
>>7264063
Restaurant is a broad term that encompasses both sit down dining and fast food chains.

If you had ever worked at a bakery, you would know that cake decorators aren't expected to know jack shit other than actually decorating. They literally don't do any baking unless they are also a pastry cook or baker. It's not uncommon for there to be a dedicated decorator. Many bakers can decorate, but not vice versa.
>>
>>7264559
Honest question: What do you think you're arguing and with what post?
>>
>>7264283
>but isn't a restaurant in the strict sense

How so? A restaurant is an establishment that cooks and serves food. That sure sounds like McDonald's to me.

I think you mean that in the normal course of conversation people wouldn't call it a "restaurant"; they'd call it "fast food" instead. But strictly speaking? It's a restaurant.
>>
>>7261949
If you advertise fresh food and it's frozen, That's not exactly on is it.
>>
>>7261949
Are you fucking retarded nigga?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.