[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Authentic" Chinese (or other Asian) recipes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: chinaflagge-lx.png (25 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
chinaflagge-lx.png
25 KB, 1000x667
What are your resources for somewhat "real" asian cooking?

All the cookbooks I have, have an european focus, or only have asian "inspired" stuff in them. Now I am not autistic enough to totally object against this stuff (If it tastes good, it's OK, plus, cooking has always been about influences and change), but sometimes I just want to try the "real thing", if only to learn some new stuff, then I can then apply to other cooking styles.

So, any recommended websites? If I google for chinese recipes, I mostly end up on rather shitty sites, where the one-eyed leads the blind…
>>
Martin Yan cookbooks
>>
>>7260869
Or his tv show
>>
What about that fat Taiwanese guy on PBS?

Ming something
>>
>>7260817
Fuchsia Dunlop - an English woman who went to cooking school in Sichuan. One of the few English language resources for spot on mainland cooking.
>>
Ken Hom
>>
Horse, and dog meat especially for Asian cooking
>>
>>7260817
Get a chinese mother in law
>>
>>7260869
>>7260938
Will check them out
>>7260943
Most certainly!
>>7260949
Good idea. Unfortunately the only hot asian girl I know is Korean, but I guess Korean cuisine is nice too…

But until I marry her, or get the reccomended books, are there any good websites?
>>
rasamalaysia.com isn't bad for general Asian recipes.
>>
>>7260981
Korean: Maangchi
https://www.youtube.com/user/Maangchi

Chinese:
Find the simplest recipe available
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>7261105
I second this, have been cooking predominantly Asian, mostly Korean food for the last year now. Just gotten bored with European food since I studied at LCB and the restaurant I work at is modern euro fine dining.
Maangchi is absolutely amazing, I watch all her cooking videos and bought her cook book as well.

If you're interested in Japanese food then I recommend checking out a YouTuber called Ochikeron, she's really good as well and does nice and simple recipes. She also just released her first cook book, waiting for Amazon to deliver that bad boy.

Pic related Gungjung deokbukki I made the other week, recipe from Maangchi.
>>
>>7260990
no, stop. this chick is like the rachel ray of asian food.
>>
>>7260911
Ming Tsai - far from authentic, does Asian fusion mostly, but good for what it is.

Martin Yan - does authentic but annoying as fuck and can be difficult to comprehend at times
>>
>>7260817
i watch my mother cook some shitty bland food consisting of near-unseasoned stir fry bak choy, and shitty overdone tough pieces of pork spare ribs sitting in a ton of fucking grease
>>
>>7262003
I love rice cakes, Tteokbokki is awesome
>>
>>7260869
This. I have "Martin Yan's China" and it's pretty cool. The lychee pudding in it is great.

Yan is the man.
>>
Pic related is pretty good.
>>
>>7260817
My favorite website for aisian foods is steamykitchen.com
>>
>>7260817
I gotta say, if you're looking for Asian authenticity you can never go wrong with cat. Dog can sometimes be used as a form of substitute but either way just prepare it as rare as you like and serve with fried rice and ramen.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (19 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
19 KB, 200x300
>>7260817
I have pic related.

I've been using it for years. it's got a good mix of traditional dishes, with western ingredient substitutes for when you can't find something. That's less of a problem with Asian stores in every moderately sized city, but back in '66 when it was published, it was a necessity.
>>
>>7262765
IS china the one with drunken duck? his drunken duck recipe is so very very good.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.