[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey fu/ck/tards What's your opinion on vegetarians and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2
Hey fu/ck/tards

What's your opinion on vegetarians and vegans? My lil' sis recently became vegan and I recently just found out a work colleague turned out to be vegetarian.

I gotta cook for these two next Friday and I'm ripping my fucking hair out.

Should I just say fuck it and take them out to eat?
>>
>>7259599
>facebook maymays

You're even worse.
>>
>>7259601
this
>>
>>7259599
>that image
Are you old enough to post here?
Anyway vegans are cool by me, I like meat but I don't NEED it and in my city there are lots of good vegan and vegetation restos. Helps to have lots of Indians and other Asians around. So I don't feel too inconvenienced by them, like if this was flyover hell
>>
>>7259601
>>7259614
Grabbed some shitty image from Google when I searched 'cunt'.

Sorry, I ain't no basement-dwelling disappointment who hoards images from a Himalayan tapestry forum.
>>
>>7259632
See >>7259635
>>
>>7259635
>I ain't no basement-dwelling disappointment who hoards images from a Himalayan tapestry forum.
Yet I'm bitching about having to feed a couple vegetarians on a Cambodian surf music board. Is there really that much difference?
>>
>>7259599
It's a phase.
>>
>>7259643
True.
>>
>>7259599
http://www.marthastewart.com/978784/one-pan-pasta

This is vegan, delicious, and simple. Make this and be free.
>>
>>7259599
If you can't make a good meal without meat, you can't cook. It's a fact. Plentiful cheap meat is new by historical standards, many great peasant dishes of old were meat-free.
tl;dr you'll fit in fine here, you useless manchild
>>
>>7259599
If it's any trouble for you at all, it was time for you to branch your abilities out a little anyway.
>>
>>7259599
Fu/ck/ you, you fu/ck/ing cum slurping monkey.
>>
It's really not hard. Consider curries (Indian, Thai, etc.), salads, pastas, stir fries, etc. It's fun coming up with creative takes on classics.
>>
>>7259599
Vegan chili.
It's just like regular chili, but you tell them it has no meat.
>>
>>7259599
I believe the treatment of animals in the meat and dairy industry is evil but I ask most of them if they would eat a cow they know lived a great life and they outright refuse. Their own arguments don't justify their actions. I find most of them hypocrites unless they admit the idea of eating something that had a face makes them squeamish.
>>
>>7262760
>killing the cow isn't suffering
Even if the cow died of natural causes, using the cow for it's meat is wrong.
>>
Vegetarians are easier to deal with because dairy is allowed.

Make your colleague something extra cheesy.
>>
>>7262970
Alfredo is easy, it can be vegetarian, and it's fucking delicious. For the vegan, gazpacho.
>>
>>7262956
Why? It's dead, its not like it would care if I ate it.
>>
>>7259599
This is a worksafe board.
>>
>>7259599
There's no actual benefit of being either. Not health wise, not conscience wise, not environment wise. Those animals are still going to get killed. They still taste good. Now their deaths are meaningless, because you won't buy a pack of ground hamburger at the store.

These people who care about animal warfare will denounce you for "murdering for food" while they allow murders to go on in the names of clothes, make up, medicine, automobiles, cell phones, cute curtains, etc.
>>
if you can't cook a meatless meal you're a failure as a chef
>>
Vegans are mentally ill pieces of shit. Best buddy got a vegan gf and she ruined him.

I do feel bad about eating animals though, but vegans are just the biggest cuntheads.
>>
>>7259599
If you are unfamiliar with vegan cooking, yes, take them out to eat. while there, look at the menu and jot down some things you would like to learn to make for them.
>>
>>7259655
>implying there are a lot of peasant vegan foods. Meat was scarce, but butter and eggs were decidedly not so.
>>
>It's healthy!
Candy and whole bunch of other shit foos is vegan/vegetarian. Your argument is invalid.
>Factory farms are cruel!
Granted, but you can get meat/milk/eggs from farms that don't use factory farming.
>I just don't like killing things.
Fair enough.
>>
Just once, can we all just answer a question without sperging out about people's life choices?

This board is getting worse every day.
>>
>>7264680
True, very true. Still, their are peasent foods that count as vegan. Ratatouille, for instance. Also, some vegans/vegetarians may still eat seafood. I guess if it isn't a cute cuddly bird or mammal it doesn't count. Yes, hypocritical, but it might make it easier if you can branch out into seafood.
>>
>>7259655
If people weren't eating any animal products, it usually wasn't by choice
>>
>>7264759
Times change. Animal products were once placed on a pedestal because they were rare, and you could only get small quantities. Today people can and do eat (cheap) meat cheaply at every meal. It isn't a fucking privilege any more, like all excess its just a way to shorten your lifespan.
>>
>>7264729
Pescetarians eat fish because they are by far the healthiest source of animal protein, not because they hate fish.
>>
>>7264680
Eggs are needed for relatively few recipes and olive oil is by far superior to butter for most things.
>>
>>7264792
And yeah, you can adjust a recipe, granted. But you need to be aware of that when searching for foods to make for vegefags.
>>
>>7264799
If you cant cook without meat, eggs, and dairy you are shit at cooking and shit at eating.
>>
>>7264808
I'm guessing you don't cook at all. low quality b8 m8.
>>
>>7264819
Seriously hope this is just an attempt not to lose face
>>
>>7264831
Nope. you can't eliminate whole swathes of ingredients and get the same results. Vegan food is disgusting. Can I follow a recipe and make it? yes. Can I adapt a recipe to be vegan? yes. It doesn't mean it won't be worse than the full meat/full fat original. To imply it will be is just as delusional as the decisions that led to a vegetarian lifestyle in the first place.
>>
>>7264783
so your reason of completely avoiding animal foods for meals is because some people eat too much and you want to feel like you're more advanced than people from the past

they provide different nutrition that your body needs, and have benefits if you eat the proper amounts.

hey, you can eat animal products without consuming too much. that's amazing.

i understand why you feel the need to be so extreme but it's really not necessary. why do you think fad diets that told people to eat nothing but animal products started? probably because people like you would get so up-in-arms about eating animal products. i feel like you're trying to be helpful but being extreme about it can cause harm too.
>>
>>7264842
>you can't eliminate whole swathes of ingredients and get the same results.
This is true.
>Vegan food is disgusting.
This is false. Animal products are not required for deliciousness, they just figure prominently in many delicious meals.
>Can I adapt a recipe to be vegan?
Why would you do that when plenty of delicious recipes are out there that don't require any adapting to be vegan?

It's not hard. Cook some vegetables in a way that shows them off well. Serve with a protein (beans, lentils, tofu, seitan) cooked in a way that shows it off well. Add a complimentary grain. Done. Nothing to get angry about.
>>
>>7264859
>hey, you can eat animal products without consuming too much. that's amazing.

That point seems lost on so many people. Is it true that the average Western diet is too high in animal products? Yes. But that doesn't mean you have to eliminate ALL animal products from your diet. Moderation is the key.
>>
>>7264863
And I understand what you are saying. I have no anger at all. I'm sorry if you took that from my post. I understand spices, and cooking vegan foods very well. I dated an Indian girl for 8 years who was a vegan. I cooked all kinds of shit. I never cared for it much. I am a firm believer that most beans are enhanced by adding a ham hock. Vegetables are fine, and yes, can be presented in many ways that don't require an animal product. But then, if I add a little bacon to the spinach I'm sauteeing, it's better. I got sick of every meal with her being some bean stew with rice. Or worse yet, some pre-packaged Morningstar bullshit.

Animals have their place in our diet. We can deny that, and we should certainly eat less of them for health reasons. But to deny that they are awesome as flavorings. never.
>>
>>7264859
I eat meat. Frequently even. I just cant stand shills who come here to talk about good food and cooking and yet cant conceive a meal without meat.

Its counter productive because it makes people limit their cooking and the range of flavours they can hope to achieve.

>>7264842
Learn to season and eat veggies other than potato and broccoli.
>>
>>7259648

>cooking pasta in the sauce

how have I never thought of this

wouldn't this be way better than regular pasta
>>
File: 1264029436565.jpg (31 KB, 542x417) Image search: [Google]
1264029436565.jpg
31 KB, 542x417
>>7264892
please see
>>7264880

I actually am blessed with a grocer that has tons and tons of variety. I can get most Asian vegetables. I'm also in a CSA. I do eat a shitload of broccoli, but that's because broccoli is awesome. It's not that I don't have variety, I just recognize that meat is delicious.
>>
>>7264925
no.
>>
>>7264880
>>7264956
Learn to stop fixating. You are barely a rung above people who put ketchup on everything.
>>
>>7264925
Not in sauce, but you can cook them in broth. Shits tasty, yo.
>>
>>7265018
>not knorr chicken stock cube
>>
>>7264785
Fish is delicious and healthy; but so is pig and chicken and whatever else that's been raised well. I think of any source of food-be it a fish fillet, porkchop, or an apple-in terms of an amalgamation of proteins, fats, minerals and vitamins. Taking a iron supplement is good for you, but taking too many is bad. A tasty fillet of fish or a porkchop is good for you, but the two things differ in the amount of 'doses' you can have before you take too many. Pork is a very calorie dense food you need to have sparingly because your body does need fat, but too much will affect you adversely. Fish is nearly pure protein, with some fats and oil (depending on the fish) which your body does need, but it can have trace amounts of mercury, which your body can only tolerate in very small doses and can build up over time. Luckily, you can eat a huge amount of fish before it affects you. Best case scenario? Fish makes up the majority of your diet, with occasional breaks for other sources of meat so you can get rid of the mercury.

Some people are pescatarians because its healthy. Some people are vegetarian but still eat fish because it 'doesn't count?' It just seems hypocritical for people to think killing animals like pigs and chickens is wrong but don't turn a hair when fish are mass slaughtered and served on a plate.
>>
>>7265084
Love those; such tasty flavor.
>>
>>7265112
Hint: most vegetarians arent so because they empathise with animals.
>>
File: www.usnews.com.jpg (64 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
www.usnews.com.jpg
64 KB, 620x413
>>7262760

That's pretty much where I stand. I mean it ultimately comes down to the fact that you are eating meat and condoning the killing of a living thing that is every bit as sensitive as a dog, which everyone but a sociopath will admit knows pain and fear, just because you want to. I have nothing against some sort of pastoral tribe that relies on hunting like old native americans or inuits eating meat because they very much live in harmony with their environment and are responsible for killing everything they eat and do it with reverence and respect, but for all people that live in a society this is not the case. To the extent that responsible meat consumption is possible, I think hunting deer or rabbits or whatever is the most acceptable.

I think refuse is the wrong word, there is just no reason to eat meat other than the fact that you want to. That's fine but just as many omnivores refute that fact You can thrive and in many ways surpass the nutrition of an omnivorous diet with a vegan diet. Meat doesn't make me squeamish and I can eat it, but I just don't want to, but obviously everyone has their own reasons. Maybe my thinking makes me an outlier among vegans, but I think more are like me than you think
>>
>>7264783
If eating meat shortens your lifespan, why aren't there vegans who've lived longer than meat-eaters?
>>
>>7264880
>But to deny that they are awesome as flavorings. never.
I would never do that, and most folks I know who are vegetarian/vegan wouldn't do so either. Animal fat is unctuous stuff, so a meal cooked with it is easier to make tasty than a meal without it.

You could have very easily said you ate many vegan meals for years and found them tiresome over time. But that's not what you said. You said vegan food is disgusting. Which is absurd, and pure hyperbole on your part. Vegan food is delicious, just harder to make as delicious as food containing animal fat.

Eight years with a vegan - no wonder you're a little touchy about it. My wife and I have been "mostly vegan" (meaning animal products about once a week) for four years, and neither of us could consider giving them up entirely. But not eating them on a day to day basis is pretty easy, and the food isn't disgusting in any way.
>>
>>7259599
Just take them out to eat. The skill necessary for making good tasting vegan dishes is far higher than one using meat and animal products.
>>
>>7265123
What's wrong with eating dog?
>>
>>7265149

beyond the fact that in America there is nowhere to buy it where it has been safely produced for food, I don't need to have an animal die to survive so I'm not going to eat it.
>>
>>7265121
Really? I thought the main reason people went vegetarian/vegan because they love animals?
>>
>>7266130
>the main reason people went vegetarian/vegan because they love animals?
That would most weepy teen girls. There's an environmentalist argument as well, and a political one that builds from that. One could make a utilitarian argument for a vegan diet as well as realpolitik religious based reasons (kosher, halal, Buddhist, Hindu).

Basically it works for most people. I suspect the people who express hate toward it are those who despise the idea of being inclusive in the first place.
>>
>>7265128
There are. Many. Vegetarians many more times so.
>>
>>7265149
I am friends with many dogs and it would make those friendships weird.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.