[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vietnamese pho
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 15
File: how-to-eat-pho.jpg (60 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
how-to-eat-pho.jpg
60 KB, 600x450
Does any one else like eating pho? I never go to restaurants and order soup, but this is my favorite dish. Would you try it out?
>>
>>7257796
>salt water
>vegetables
>overcooked meat
>MSG
No thanks, keep your gook food.
>>
Overrated to proportions I can't even fathom

Bun bo hue is way superior if we're just speaking on noodle soup dishes
>>
pho was chosen to be one of 2015's top meme foods, and advanced future memetics metrics are projecting it to keep its meme status for 2016

It's also one of the only foods I can think of that is both a meme food, and is also fedora tier.

For these reasons, and these reasons alone I stay away from it
>>
The memest of noodle soups.
>>
20 years of not eating vietnamese, tried it once and was underwhelming and overhyped. Taiwanese beef noodles is where it's at. You'd struggle to find any outside of Taiwan.
>>
>>7257796
One time I went to a Vietnamese place in colorado springs and their pho was offal.
>no broth
>40% lettuce
>limited to no sauce

Worst pho I ever paid for.
>>7257813
>>7257818
>Letting memes dictate your choices.
Stay pleb.
>>
>he doesn't cut up the noodles with a fork and knife
>he doesn't then use a spoon to eat the soup

Hey, just because the gooks eat like idiots doesn't mean we have to when we eat their food.
>>
File: nam.jpg (6 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
nam.jpg
6 KB, 277x182
>>7257796
My grandfather didn't fight in the jungle so we could all eat zipperhead food, anon.
>>
>>7257821
>offal

Its spelled "awful" you mongoloid
>>
File: brad.gif (44 KB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
brad.gif
44 KB, 280x200
>>7257813
>It's also one of the only foods I can think of that is both a meme food, and is also fedora tier.
Who's going to explain it for him?
>>
>>7257833

Are you implying that they are the same? or that their are much foods that carry both statuses?
>>
>>7257813
>meme
>fedora

So a bunch of words that mean nothing.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (21 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
21 KB, 437x437
>>7257842

>a bunch of words that mean nothing
>>
>>7257829
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=offal
>>
>>7257824
your grandfather fought in the jungle to contain communism and failed
>>
>>7257796
Its great when your in Nam and you can grab a bowl on the street corner for a couple bucks, sorts you out for full day of adventure
Never feel motivated to at home though
>>
>>7257898
Well, we haven't won a war since 1945, definite trend.
>>
>>7257898
One might even way his grandfather was quite the grandfaggot
>>
>>7257803
If you're going to be racist at least get it right to avoid making all racists look like you(aka fucking retard)

>msg water
>artificial beef flavor
>fish sauce (fucking vietniggers put this shit in everything)
>beef that's either too raw or too cooked
>sliced beef that sticks back together
Fucking vietshits
>>
>>7257917
>beef bones
>water
>spices
>noodles
>thinly sliced beef that is god tier
>>
Love pho, but can't make it for shit. I've tried to make the broth on several occasions but it never comes out like it does in the restaurants. I've tried adjusting my star anise quantity who knows how many times but it always comes out too strong and not smelling quite right. I eventually switched over to using Chinese five spice; it's less potent and tastes just a little better, but it's still not coming out like restaurant quality pho does.
>>
>>7257928
I found chicken pho is easier to get right because its a pretty mild dish to begin with, basically just making a chicken stock with asian spices
>>
>>7257911
maybe if you libs didn't tie our hands behind our back we could actually go into a country and kill everyone
>>
>>7257852
You're an idiot if "that's fedora-tier lol" actually means something to you.

Is pho popular? Yeah, because it's good. Good food is popular. Get the fuck over it.
>>
>>7258013
>Is pho popular? Yeah, because it's good. Good food is popular. Get the fuck over it.

No senpai, the new found popularity would make it meme tier. My city didn't have a single pho restaurant until a few years ago. Now I pass three on the way to work. That is why pho is meme tier. You're an idiot if you don't believe in meme magic, and pho is profiting off of said magic

The reason why it is fedora tier food, is because of the pronunciation issue where the "foe" and "fa' come into play. Also, anything weeb related tends to have a strong correlation with fedora culture. If I were to see a man wearing a fedora in the street, chances are he's eating pho in the last week.
>>
>>7258023
That's not a 'meme', you idiot. That's a previously unpopular food getting more popular as more people discover it. You know, like a natural fucking thing for humans to do.

It's also pronounced 'fah' because that's how the fucking vietnamese pronounce it and it's a vietnamese food, it has nothing to do with neckbeards or fedoras.

It's like talking to a brick wall. Next you're gonna tell me "get out of here fedora retard memer lol"
>>
i love pho but it's really hard to find the good shit
most of the popular places where i love at least have over cooked noodles or serve warm broth what makes it disgusting

there used to be 2 good places near me and now i have to drive to get good pho even though there are at least 4 within walking distance

yuppies and their shit taste, man
>>
>>7258031

I can tell I'm arguing with a handicapped person, so I will not be insulting you. I will just try to teach you. You see, unpopular food getting more popular as people discover it would be a much more linear growth curve. Yes, this is natural, just like that extra chromosome that nature gave you.

I don't care how other countries pronounce their items. Next you're going to tell me that coriander leaves are "cilantro". Actually, you probably don't know spanish, and thats ok, because you're special.

I know you're not supposed to be near brick walls, which explains the helmet you have to wear when you leave the house,because of that one accident.

Also, I would never call you a "fedora retard", because I know your people don't like that word. That's like calling a black a nigger
>>
>>7258076

You still don't seem to know what a "meme" really is. But that's OK, keep shitposting your "board culture".
>>
>>7258085

I understand that you don't understand anon, and that's ok. The world needs ditch diggers too
>>
>>7257796

Nah, it's meme food
>>
>>7257917
>he's never had good quality pho
>>
>>7258076
>unpopular food getting more popular as people discover it would be a much more linear growth curve

No, that is literally not how it works. Word of mouth and trends are an exponential growth curve, just like how pho was and still is.

But keep posting your "le memes xdddd go back to reddit u fedora" because that gives you tons of 4chan cred.
>>
>>7258191
>word of mouth
>trends

Oh so you mean like other meme foods?
>>
>>7258216
Yes, because that is a thing that people do. "Meme" is a made-up word that doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>7258241
>A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem) is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".
tl;dr You're a newfag.
>>
>>7258248
Back in my day, son, we called those "fads" or "trends" or even, in the context of 4chan, "jokes"

'Meme' means fucking nothing.
>>
>>7258241
read some Dawkins.
>stop being a retard.
>>
It's actually pronounced 'furr' actually.
>>
>>7258261

>hurr durr language is concrete and doesn't adapt
>>
File: tedchong.jpg (6 KB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
tedchong.jpg
6 KB, 200x113
>>7258265
#firstvictim
Nice one, retard.
>fu
>>
>>7257803
There's nothing wrong with MSG.
>>
File: 094905_laff (1).jpg (21 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
094905_laff (1).jpg
21 KB, 265x300
>>7258265
>America
nice catch, as always.
>>
File: bait899.jpg (27 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait899.jpg
27 KB, 625x626
>>7258265
too easy.
Enjoy your furr.
>>
>>7258265
Hello Fatty :^)
>>
>>7258268

So are you trying to justify your misuse of the term "meme", or are you attempting to justify your ignorance of what it actually means?

I have a friend who uses the term "meme" to refer to reaction images. He literally thinks that's what the word means. He's not very bright.
>>
File: Louis.jpg (16 KB, 450x349) Image search: [Google]
Louis.jpg
16 KB, 450x349
>>7258265umb Cunt confirmed
>>
>>7258265
kill all weaboo faggots
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 300x185) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 300x185
>Cinnamon in savory dishes
>>
>>7258313
you couldn't kill anything, pussy. you'd just start shaking, drop the gun and run away crying lol
>>
>>7257796
It's okay. But way overrated.
>>
>>7257796
i love pho, one of my favorite dishes. i like it spicier, add jalapenos or sriracha. goes well with citrus and mint too
>>
I think I get pho from this Vietnamese place I haven't been there in a while so I don't really remember what I ordered but it was pretty good. I think it was pho.
>>
My vietnamese friend's mom makes pretty good pho from scratch. I can't vouch for the MSG content though. I wouldn't pay 12 dollars a bowl to eat at some crappy restaurant. She makes a huge pot for like 25 bucks tops. It's really poor people food, just meat scraps, veggies, and noodles.
>>
>>7257796
I'm actually eating it right now. I like it a lot, the broth is always the best part.
>>
>>7257796
Are you viet or something? I've never heard of a non VC eating this shit at home that hasn't gotten it in a restaurant first.
>>
>>7259722
I eat it fairly regularly in Dorchester, MA for, like, 8 bucks a bowl. I think that's a fair price, desu, but I do enjoy making the broth when I have a whole day off work
>>
>>7259780
There's a place near me that serves a giant bowl for the same amount. It's about twice the food I need to eat in a sitting. I wish those ching chongs would serve a smaller bowl for 5 bucks because pho doesn't keep well in the fridge.
>>
>>7259789
Most places have a small, medium, large, xl, at least that I've been to.

XL is enough to feed a small family, my wife and I will split just one for eight dollars and still not manage to finish it.
>>
>>7259789
Yeah, you really only get one chance at a bowl of pho. I usually only stop in if I haven't had much to eat that day.
>>
>>7257796
pho is my favorite thing to get on cold, rainy days. ultimate comfort food.

i don't really get the meme food thing about it. there have been pho places around my city for years. people who have no idea what it is just don't go, that's all. i've turned on a bunch of friends and coworkers to it.
>>
>>7259722
$25 tops? Yeah right.

Maybe in VN it can be made cheap, but getting enough bones is at least $15-$20 unless you are somehow finding left over bones to use. And the other small ingredients for the broth can add up to at least another $15 (I'm not including the condiments). Then the meat toppings and noodles themselves another $10 at least.
>>
I've tried pho once, and even with all the extra additives (cilantro, soy, sriracha, etc) it still tasted like nothing. the broth like water, noodles like nothing, bland meat. I've been scared to try it again anywhere else. I really wanted to like it, I love Asian food. Do you guys prefer pho to ramen?
>>
>>7259802
You had shit pho. I prefer ramen, I guess. There's a good place to get a bowl near me but it's overpriced.
>>
>>7259799
You don't ever have leftover bones? Do you cook meat?
>>
>>7259810
Left over beef bones? It's impractical for most people to collect the little strip of bone in their t-bone steaks to freeze for a broth later.

Also most pho recipes call for weird parts like neck bones, marrow bones, neck bones, etc.

Now if you talking chicken bones, well that's not a real substantial pho broth.
>>
>>7259851
>Now if you talking chicken bones, well that's not a real substantial pho broth.

>not eating pho ga
>>
>>7259851
You obviously live in a city on one of the coasts, so I'll just say that for most of the US having bones and joints to make various items, including broth, is not uncommon. Maybe not the norm, mind you, but far from unthinkable.
>>
>>7259851
Bro, you can go to a butcher and ask them for scrap bones. They're really cheap and sometimes free if he can't get rid of them. This is a board for cooking. Not being a shit cook who doesn't know how to make a broth.
>>
>>7259851
ever hear of ziplok? do you have a freezer?
>>
File: doctorb.jpg (9 KB, 164x307) Image search: [Google]
doctorb.jpg
9 KB, 164x307
>>7259851
>neck bones, marrow bones, neck bones

Oooooh, you're a troll

OK
>>
>>7259874
Yeah, I live in So Cal. Those bones and joints are readily available in the supermarkets here. But bones aren't cheap as that one anon said.

And what the heck are you eating that you get enough left over bones for a broth? Are you saving the bones from beef ribs?
>>
>>7259874
>people on the coast don't know how to make soup

Fucking flyover scum. Your cuisine is shit by comparison.
>>
>>7259851
bruh where I live I can get cut beef bones for like a dollar a pound. Ten pound of bones makes a heap of stock, enough for a dozen bowls of soup for sure.
Meat, herbs and rice noodles are all relatively cheap. Most expensive thing is the herbs and I grow mint, coriander, Vietnamese mint and horseradish.
>>
>>7259893
They are very cheap where I live (Massachusetts) if you know where to look.

And if you put leftover bones in a zippy bag in the freezer, they will keep well enough. Supposing you cook enough to fill a gallon bag within 10 or 11 months, you have enough to make a large pot of broth
>>
>>7259894
>thinks souldfood is bad

Yeah, ok buddy
>>
>>7259913
Again what cut of meat are you eating that would allow you to save enough bones over the course of a year?

I've tried this. Most cuts of beef the average American eat has none to little bone.
>>
>>7259924
Shank, mostly, but there are a few cuts you can get, in addition to what >>7259907 has said.

It's not hard to find.

>average american

You're on a food and cooking board, man
>>
>>7259893
You can get bones cheap as fuck at the Chinese and Korean grocery stores in the Chicago suburbs. You can buy a pig head for five bucks or cow bones for about the same. Sheep heads can be asked for if you don't mind an awkward conversation. Just ask the butcher. They can be surprisingly helpful when you're asking for such things. Even at the local grocery store if I ask to buy the toss away parts the store manager will be more than willing to set me up for the sake of customer service. I used to work at a grocery store so I'm not intimidated to ask.
>>
I like Pho. I don't get anything too fancy, just a regular bowl of Pho with sliced brisket. My only grip with it (and this is inherent to noodle soups) is that to truly get a satisfying flavor in each mouthful, I need to get noodles, meat, and broth. This requires me to enact a precise sequence of autistic actions, in which I use my pleb tier chopstick skills to get a substantial (but not overwhelming) amount of noodles, then take a piece of beef, and finish it off with a spoonful of broth. It is delicious, filling, and generally very cheap.

I also like the spring rolls with peanut sauce. Good stuff.
>>
>>7259966
I disagree with you there. I actually really enjoy sipping some broth, having some meat (dipped into some sauce on the side), and then slurping up some noodles.

I also think that chopsticks are a superior method for eating noodles than a fork.

Maybe I'm an autist
>>
>>7259976
So you do those things separately, or do you eat them all in the same mouthful?
>>
>>7259941
>>7259943
Thanks for the tips. I shall see because I've been doing things the wrong way if I'm spending $20 bucks on bones just for pho. The only reason this was justifiable is because I would it pho continuously for the next few days to even out the cost.

>You're on a food and cooking board, man
Not everyone is a master pro jack of all trades in every culinary aspect
>>
>>7257796
It way be my favorite food.

Raw flank steak sliced think with extra meat....hmmm
>>
>>7259976
separately
>>
>>7257821
>One time I went to a Vietnamese place in colorado springs and their pho was offal.

where in colorado? the springs and denver have good spots
>>
>>7257796
There's a pho place near my house, I love it there. Their Thai tea and lemonade are good too.
>>
>>7259797
>i don't really get the meme food thing about it

There was this faggot that got dumped by a Vietnamese chick so now he goes on /ck/ and calls every Vietnamese food "memes". He's been going on for a few of years now. That shit was hilarious in the beginning but now it's just sad. How lame can he be?
>>
>Have parents from Vietnam
>Loving mother spends hours creating delicious broth
>Makes rice noodles, yellow noodles, beef meatballs, sliced flank steak, and prepares the garnishes in a nicely presented plate
>Have delicious pho for years

>2015
>Liking pho is a meme
>People who claim to adore pho have never had properly made broth in their life
>Mom still makes delicious pho during the winter

Does anyone actually put sriracha sauce in pho? I don't have anything against sriracha in particular but ground chili paste seems a lot better.
>>
>>7263311
I put it in the in my pho, actually both. I like my pho spicy. I have had it with out any sauce when I first tried pho.
>>
>>7263311
Hook us with a recipe anon, I love pho, but sometimes it's not that easy to get a hold of.
>>
i tried to make some with my crock pot. it was good but wayy too OILY. i put some fondue beef in there and it was an oil fest exxon style , even after i scooped oujt as much as i could.
>>
>>7263311
>not putting hoisin sauce and sriracha in your phở
>>
>>7257803

>overcooked meat
>meat is literally raw
>>
>>7257796
am i missing the point or did i just get pho from the wrong place? it tasted really bland, the broth was like watered down chicken noodle. i had to load it up with hot chili garlic sauce and even then it was boring
>>
>>7265054
You just got it from a shitty place that didn't know how to make their broth properly. The key to good pho is a well made broth. If the broth sucks, the pho will suck.
>>
I have it all the time. if done right, the broth is very delicate. nice fresh veggies, the meat can be sliced raw into it. first time i tried it was with "beefballs", the most disgusting food in existence. try thinly sliced steak, flank steak or brisket, with basil AND cilantro. captcha: noodles!!!!!!
>>
>>7257917
fish sauce was what the roman empire marched on. dont knock it, plebian
>>
>>7257983
thats why we keep tying your hands, so you dont kill everyone. you say that like its a problem
>>
>>7263311
I prefer to not spice it up, i like it as is, too much sauce ruins the flavor. sliced jalapenos adds enough heat w/o changing the flavor.
>>
>>7257796
>>7257928
Same
And I'm so sad because of it. I tried so hard and failed that I came to the point where I told myself the taste depends on the air and every other not primarily taste related issue, as much as it depends on the actual ingredients.

So today, I make my own chicken broth, if steamed or boiled does not matter so much and afterwards just throw inside what I have left over. I use asian wheat noodles though as spergerdi or "regular soup noodles" don't work so well.

Last year I was in China because of that matter and I met a chinese soup master, as I would like to call him, who told me that what I did was the true spirit of asian noodle soups.

Anon... we have to bow down and accept that things' taste depends on our state of mind in the very particular moment. Even if we would taste an original pho, would we truly recognize it, if not in thailand?
>>
>>7265118
>you say that like its a problem

It is a problem. Either go to war and break some heads or don't even get started at all.

The problem is that currently we send troops over and spend buttloads of money, piss off the other countries, yet don't actually achieve anything. It's all the expense and bad PR with none of the benefits.
>>
>>7263311
>people putting meme sauce, or worse, sugar slop hoisin in their pure pho broth

Chili oil or bust. Also, I genuinely feel sorry for the people knocking pho because of a bad experience. I first had it at the most popular spot in my town and it was pretty fucking bland, didn't think twice about it until a buddy of mine showed me the best spot in the Vietnamese area of town, fucking life changing. It's the perfect food. We go at least twice a week now.
>>
As with most things, you can make it right, and you can make it fast and cheap. The latter greatly decreasing its quality.

Generally pho is heavily overhyped by nationalistic viet idiots and asiaphile retards. Most of the time it's literally just noodles + random shit swimming in plain water. Most viet places are ran by poor people with no actual knowledge of cooking basics who just add pre made powder to water as a soup stock and just cook the shit in it.

Every time when I hear gooks talk about pho, I want to start a gook holocaust and gas them in masses.
>>
>>7265358
as much as I think that your statement contains some truth, as much I think that you are seeing things too negative.

I understand that you try to hold up against some flood of superficials coming out of the internet, but I feel, that you really dont have to. Especially because you tend to yourself get superficial analyzing.

Look at your own home. Did your parents !always! serve the best homemade foods not using preserved things or spices?

imho it's just not possible to recreate the original taste in your home country. If you use chicken broth for example, it even depends what food the chicken was fed to achieve the paricular taste. And there are many more way too sensible intricacies, to be able to come close to our ideal memory.
>>
>>7265309
The pho place I like has little sauce dishes so you can dip your mean in whatever sauce you like and not ruin that pure ayrian broth
>>
>>7257818
But that's ramen.
>>
File: 1452734827889.jpg (127 KB, 800x527) Image search: [Google]
1452734827889.jpg
127 KB, 800x527
shit costs 9bux tops for a hugs bowl at all the places I've been to in Socal. sometimes less.

Pho is fantastic feel better soup, luckily for the vietnamese, pho takes a long time to cook properly so their shops are a necessity for white guys like me.
>>
I live in a heavily Vietnamese populated area in California and I must say that the Pho here is 10/10
There's at least a hundred different pho places in this small city and they're all done pretty well.
>>
Didn't read this probably shit thread, but I eat pho whenever I can afford it.
>>
>>7265477
Ramen can't be meme-tier, it's objectively good due to the sheer amount of oil and salt.

Pho, on the other hand, is literally fedora tier "muh blandness" food.
>>
>>7265722
It all depends on the quality of the meal. I've had some amazing ramen and pho at various different places.

I've also had fucking awful ramen and pho at other places.

You cannot objectively say that ramen is always better than pho since it all depends on how it was prepared as well as your own subjective tastes.
>>
how popular does something have to be to consider it a meme?

it's just food, if it's good eat it, if it's not don't
>>
>>7265888
Depends on how compelled you feel to shitpost about it. Generally if more than a handful of people like something, that's reason enough for most of the idiots on this board to call it a meme and shitpost about it.
>>
>>7264998
This is what idiots with poor taste buds do. I don't care if you're Vietnamese from Vietnam. It's like ruining a steak with sauce. A good steak doesn't need sauce, just salt and pepper.
>>
any NYC residents can recommend me a spot with good pho?
>>
Pho cures hangovers like a mothafucka
>>
>>7266093

why do you even care how people like their food? it's not like you're tasting it for them you manchild.
>>
>>7266093
The secret, senpai, is to not add too much sauce. An equal amount for both, in a teaspoon or less.
>>
File: 1310491635748.jpg (18 KB, 249x251) Image search: [Google]
1310491635748.jpg
18 KB, 249x251
>be me
>live in a Vietnamese neighborhood
>5 pho shops within 2 blocks
>smell them making broth all day err day
>forever hungry
>>
File: 1399583647642.jpg (3 KB, 334x290) Image search: [Google]
1399583647642.jpg
3 KB, 334x290
>>7257821
i know this is old but what kind of shitty pho doesnt have broth and has fucking lettuce?
>>
>vietnamese place close by
>name and setting kinda fedora tier but fuck it pho is pho
>fedora in the sense that it tries to be hip and shit, and not just honest in being a fucking noodle shop
>notice they have "cambodian noodles"
>fuck it lets give it a go
>same shit as pho but with dried garlic and chicken broth
>the grlic makes it orgasmic
>little bit of lemon, beansprouts, hoisin and sriracha sauce
>thai tea with boba for a nice refresher

Best meal on a boring day. Only thing that ruins it is the beef balls have this wierd white chunky shit in them that I have to remove before eating

[spoiler]am i the only one who doesnt like adding the mint and jalapenos they give you? The jalapenos dont really mix well with the soup for me and i hate mint in savory food. Also im nub tier, cant handle weird meats like tendon and tripe[/spoiler]
>>
>>7266395
it's basil
>>
>>7264050
Pho is a real pain in the ass to make right in the first place. Most recipes online will cover the basics but for some general points that I don't entirely understand:
>Boil beef bones for stock in hot water broefly to 'clean' them or let them sit in cold water overnight
>Oven bake an unpeeled YELLOW onion and ginger root until the onion starts to visibly burn, hour or so
>Chopped Daikon root
>Spice blend is really typical, star aniseed a huge ingredient. Bake star aniseed in oven for less then a minute before using. Other spices can be observed in other recipes online.
>Bones, veggies, spices (in a mesh bag) into pot
>P.S. Peel gross skin off onion and chop a little off the top so it's jizzing its beautiful juices
>Also smack the fuck out of the ginger before adding to pot
>While everything is boiling, skim the accumulated fat off of the top of the broth
>Low for approx 3-4 hours, if flecks of bone meat start coming off it's a bad sign
>Salt, pepper, and fish sauce (3 Crabs is dope) at the end to taste
>garnishes: beef related meats, mint leaves, bean sprouts, green onion, whole other fuck ton of stuff

Basic guideline and not terribly unique but it's a start.

Keeping the broth clean is really important. Fat is ugly and messes with texture. Don't use the same water you boil bones in initially to clean as the soup water either.
>>
File: 20140217_134613.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20140217_134613.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
How's my pho?
>>
>>7257803
The meat is raw and thrown into the boiling broth moments before it is served.

Pho broth has no veg in it. You are given fresh washed veggies on a sepate plate and can add to your soup as you wish

MSG is a naturally occurring chemical in everything from soy to asparagus and has been in use for centuries without being identified or isolated.
>>
>>7266481
And by fat is ugly I don't mean there wont be any fat. When we refrigerate it for later it has a big layer of translucent glob before it's reheated.
>>
>>7266426
Actually it's called sweet basil. Different from western basil
>>
>>7266499
Sweet basil is the one they use in pesto.

You are thinking Thai basil for pho
>>
>>7266488
phobulous
>>
>>7257796
not even overated

I had it in vietnam but I've never managed to get any near as good elsewhere

it's the stock that lets me down
>>
File: 1429421354559.png (72 KB, 996x996) Image search: [Google]
1429421354559.png
72 KB, 996x996
>>7265115
That was Garum, closer to Worcestershire , but close regardless.
>>
>>7266481
I know it would be an additional cost, but what if you were to take the Consume style of soup clarification to this broth recipe?
>>
>>7258098
>>7258085
Is arguing about what a meme really is a new meme?
>>
>>7266488
Maybe less noodles fatty
>>
>>7257796
pho protip: order the meat on the side and put it inside of the broth as you eat....non overcooked meat. better pho...yee
>>
>>7267734
was only medium sized... also stir up noodles for more lift
>>
>>7265054
you got bad Pho my /ck friend.

its easy to find watered down flavorless pho... its for Westerners..

its hard to find the real deal depending on where you live..
>>
>>7266821
>That was Garum
Which was a sauce made from fish
>>
any time I get sick I go get some brisket and tenderloin pho and salty limeade from a local place. Clears most of the shit out of my head and is generally just comfy as fuck.
>>
>>7266395
I think "Cambodian noodles" means Phnom Penh style. It is basically pho without the spices such as cinammon, star anise, etc.
>>
>>7268775
so are fishsticks, but they aren't the same thing.

Garum:
1000 gram/2 pounds small fish (smelt, sprat, anchovy, sardine)
500 gram/2 cups sea salt
2 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano with a top
1 Tbsp dried mint (optional)
1.5 liter/2.75 pints water

Fish sauce:
thekitchn com/how-fish-sauce-is-made-a-visit-with-a-fish-sauce-maker-in-sa-chau-vietnam-maker-tour-203405
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.