[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are you supposed to drink in fancy restaurants if you don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: download (11).jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (11).jpg
7 KB, 259x194
What are you supposed to drink in fancy restaurants if you don't like wine? Is drinking just water frowned upon?
>>
If you don't approve of someone else drinking water you should leap
>>
>>7257680
Drinking water is not frowned upon. If still seems too unceremonious for an upscale place order sparkling.
>>
Whatever the fuck you want
However if you don't like wine you have picky eater syndrome and are the kind of person who would turn down a perfectly good dish because you're "allergic" to onions or whatever. Thus there's no reason to go to a nice restaurant.
>>
>>7257705
I cook with wine a lot, but I don't like to drink it. I just can't abide the alcoholic after taste. I can't think of a single food I dislike by the way.
>>
>>7257680
>>7257701
Order sparkling water like he said.
>>
>>7257716
Try it with a slush of water
>>
>>7257680
Why wouldn't you order wine anyway? Clearly you care too much about what other people think about you, so do it.
>>
I went to a nice place once and ordered water and they brought out a really fancy bottle of water. I didn't check the bill but I would guess it was about a 5$ bottle.
>>
>>7257761
Ask for a jug of tap water for the table. If it is a nice place they'll have one anyway.
>>
>>7257680
I like wine, but will very rarely order wine in a restuarant.

The mark up on wine is huge, often what you pay for one glass is more than it costs them to buy the bottle. Also, if you were to buy the same bottle of wine and drink it at home, it would be exactly the same. There is no skill involved in wine, whereas you might not be able to make a cocktail at home as well as a decent bartender could do it, and beer from a barrel is different to bottled beer you could drink at home.
>>
Order some wine, sip it, spray spit it back towards the glass and scream, "OH IT DOES TASTE LIKE MY MOTHER'S URETHRA, JOLLY FINE AGE".

You'll be the swankiest fucker at the place.
>>
There are, obviously, people who go to restaurants and do not drink alcohol: recovering alcoholics, pregnant women, people with religious convictions, people taking certain medications that react badly with alcohol etc.

So no, it's not as weird as this thread seems to think. Most people will go with water, or juice. Any decent sommelier will be able to suggest some non-alchoholic pairings, if you're in a nice enough place where they have a sommelier and you should care about pairings.
>>
>>7257793
It's the opportunity cost for having a wine with a nice meal. It doesn't take a bartender much skill to pour a glass of whisky either, but if I'm going out for drinks I don't begrudge the owner for wanting to make money off me.
>>
>>7257808
Careful with that edge, /pol/
>>
This is the worst kind of shitposting

New retarded shitposters asking the most obtuse questions that do not warrant a thread
>>
If they are any kind of resturant of note they would only serve wine. Get the waiter to find you a wine based on what youve ordered. Im not a fan of wine is a very bold statement to make. What you eat has a massive impact on how wine can taste. Water is usally ok with food AND wine.Just coz you buy a bottle doesnt mean you have to drink it all. You can usually take it home if you ask too
>>
OP are you that guy who wanted to get into wine sampling to impress some basic bitches?
>>
Flat grape soda with a dash of vodka is a great substitue.
>>
More and more restaurants nowadays will have a decent selection of high quality beers. The craft beer movement and the buying power of millennials is pretty much responsible for this. The last really nice restaurant I went to had a nice mix of the better domestic craft beers, trappist belgian ales, as well as some limited edition/rare choices.

Otherwise there's nothing wrong with ordering some sparkling water or a cocktail at fine dining restaurants.
>>
>>7257970

I dont mind paying for whiskey, its just wine I have a problem with.

If I buy a whiskey in a restuarant, I might pay £5-£10 depending on what it is. If you then work out what that equates to per bottle, the mark up is probably just as much as wine. However, if I wanted to buy that same whiskey to drink at home, I'd probably have to spend £40-£50 for a bottle. Thats many times more than a single shot would cost. I'd sooner pay the £5 and have a taste of it before spending that much to buy it at home.

If I buy a glass of wine, it would also cost me about £5-£10. But if I wanted a bottle of the £5 per glass wine, I could probably pick it up in a supermarket for £8-£10. Not that much more than a single glass.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.