[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are food so cheap at 99 cent stores? What's the catch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 99cent_logo.png (20 KB, 207x146) Image search: [Google]
99cent_logo.png
20 KB, 207x146
Why are food so cheap at 99 cent stores? What's the catch?
>>
>>7257652
None of it is fresh. It's all the kind of food that can sit in warehouses for years, and when it doesn't sell for what the manufacturer had hoped it ends up on the shelves of 99 cent stores.
>>
>>7257656
>hasn't shopped cheap
it's really more the lack of brand naming, you'd be surprised how much a brand name raises the cost of what you buy.
>>
>>7257652
The catch is it literally reduces the length of your life by years, weakens your immune system, and just generally makes you feel like shit.
>>
>>7257664
Is noname a brand?
>>
>>7257664
Actually, 99 cent stores has a good number of named brand foods
>>
>>7257664
I hardly buy brand name anything, because most of what I buy doesn't really come branded. Vegetables, dried beans and bulk grains generally don't have brand names on them. Most brand name stuff is convenience products and luxury products. I don't buy much of either aside from coffee.
>hasn't shopped cheap
I feed two people lunch and dinner five or six days a week for about $35.
>>
File: Oat Blenders.jpg (51 KB, 340x500) Image search: [Google]
Oat Blenders.jpg
51 KB, 340x500
The food is mostly shitty and not filling unless you eat a lot of it. Even then, it's likely to be loaded with sugar, causing your digestive system to process it very quickly. Kinda like top ramen.
>>
>>7257703
at least malt o meal used to be able to afford to have commercials. I guess it doesn't come in bags anymore?

the commercials were great because of how they weren't so much presenting their product to make you aware of it as they were trying to convince you to buy it and justify is existence

>l-look here [opens box of popular cereal] see theres a bag in here, all cereal comes in bags guys! ours is f-fine too! just because it doesn't have a box doesn't mean anything! please buy our cereal....please
>>
>>7257652
They sell some items much cheaper than other stores, but some items are more expensive. The catch is while you're there, you're likely to buy enough of the things they make a higher profit margin on that they remain in the black.
>>
>>7257743
>I guess it doesn't come in bags anymore?

Their sugary cereals are still sold in bags, but they cost more than $1.

The hot cereal still comes in boxes too at around $4 each (worth it).
>>
>>7257652

I think you meant to use the word is.
>>
Because it's highly processed crap food that should always be sold for dirt cheap.

Seriously you're paying a big premium compared to the price you could pay for produce. Only thing that should cost a lot is meat.
>>
>>7257652
It's all covered in toxic plastics.
http://themindunleashed.org/2015/03/81-percent-of-dollar-store-products-tested-contain-chemicals-linked-to-learning-disabilities-cancer-and-serious-illnesses.html
>>
>>7257668
It is in canada
>>
File: 2014-02-15 17.49.52.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2014-02-15 17.49.52.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7257652
Most of it is garbage like pic related. And most of the items that are name brand actually cost more at the dollar store than they would at walmart. Poor people can't do math so they only think they're getting a good deal.
>>
People are confusing 99cent Only Stores with generic "dollar" stores. You can buy good fresh produce at the 99cent store. I avoid most pre-packaged food there but sometimes good name brand stuff shows up. Pretty good store overall but some stuff is cheaper per weight/quantity at real grocery stores
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.