[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the fuck dudes >decide to stop using a Teflon pan >fell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: metal.jpg (50 KB, 1500x947) Image search: [Google]
metal.jpg
50 KB, 1500x947
what the fuck dudes

>decide to stop using a Teflon pan
>fell for the "Teflon is bad for you" meme
>decide to use a standard metal pan
>use a fuck ton of non stick spray
>a fuck ton
>Shit still sticks to my pan

What the fuck am I doing wrong?
>>
cooking at too low or too high a heat.
>>
>>7255097
/thread
>>
Medium heat & a little bit of oil f.a.m
>>
Make sure you get your pan hot before applying anything to the pan itself.

Once the pan is hot, apply your butter/canola/olive oil (whatever you use to sautée or sear) let that substance warm WITHOUT burning it. Then and only then can you start searing meat, sweating onions or garlic, or sautéing veggies.

Hope this helps!
>>
>>7255097
>>7255102
huh....I guess I never knew. So how do I calibrate for the correct temperature?
>>
>>7255108
I do cook on Med....no need to cook on high

>>7255109
I had no idea. thanks dude.
>>
File: 340314699_1280.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
340314699_1280.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
let it happen
>>
>>7255122
is this good? does it add flavor or something?
>>
>>7255097
but how would cooking at too low a heat make it stick?
>>
>>7255153
>>7255102
>>
>>7255125
Let's say you make a nice ribeye steak in a stainless steel pan. Cook it a nice medium rare with a good sear on both sides. Take it out, rest it, but in the pan you've got that oil and the fond in the bottom of the pan, like in the picture there. All that stuff is that tasty shit on the outside of your perfect steak, and so what do you do? Dump in some liquid (preferably an alcohol like brandy/red wine) and deglaze the pan, removing the fond from the bottom. Then add some mushrooms, little salt and pepper to taste, a little heavy cream, and then holy shit in the time your steak has rested, you've made a fucking amazing pan sauce holy fuckidy shit. (and all that shit is now not sticking to the bottom of the pan anymore, and if you rinse it right away, you'll have a really easy cleanup)
That's why you use a stainless steel pan.
>>
>>7255125
you add some flour, some wine, some water. Then scrape the bottom of the pan

suddenly sauce.
>>
>>7255153
high heat makes a nice outer layer crust. This crust does not stick to the pan. Lower heat will get stuck to the pan because it does not sear the outside layer.
>>
>>7255125
You're supposed to dump some wine (or other alcohol, depending on what you want) and maybe some aromatics, then scrape the fond off the pan as you simmer and reduce it. The wine, fond, and meat juices come together to make a very flavorful sauce.
>>
>>7255168
>>7255176
Interesting. Sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>7255188
That's because it is. Friendly reminder to cook your steak/chicken/pork chops on high heat (at least initially) and let the pan and oil heat up beforehand so that you can get a nice maillard reaction going on the outside of your protein.
>>
>>7255168
>>7255186
I've got a somewhat related question that's not worth a thread of its own. I'm not much of an alcohol guy, but I've recently been wondering about what wine I should keep on hand for deglazing and cooking in general.
>>
>>7255276
Always keep a white and a red on hand for the purpose of serving guests. Any bottle not finished is re purposed for kitchen use. If you have an aldi, they have passable 2 dollar wine. Good enough to serve impromtu guests, or to use for kitchen purposes even if not opened for another reason.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.