[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else not make a shopping list and just buy whatever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: kroger.jpg (74 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
kroger.jpg
74 KB, 480x640
Does anyone else not make a shopping list and just buy whatever is on sale?
>>
My wife does this all the time.
>>
>>7254680
Nope. I plan my menu for the week, with Monday being my take-out night, and occasionally adjust the my simple and inexpensive recipes (herbs for example) as opportunities arise.
It's this system which allows me to budget relatively effectively and afford quality and a few goodies here and there.
>>
File: beef-brisket-whole-boneless.jpg (108 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
beef-brisket-whole-boneless.jpg
108 KB, 1200x900
My husband won't let me shop. He goes during the week and buys meat at a discount from target and then I will make a list and plan meals for a whole week around that. I will give him a list of the vegetables and other ingredients we will need for creating the meals and he will either go pick up what I need or we will go together. He got a HUGE brisket for 99 cents a lb last week that we are still enjoying for lunches this week.
>>
>>7254680
I buy a lot of my food this way, mostly meat. But it helps that I dont care about use by dates. I'll happily eat food that is well past its use by or best before as long as it looks and smells ok. Meat almost always lasts 2-3 days beyond they shelf date anyway.

Most of the vegetable I buy, I buy fresh and not on reduced since I often keep them for a while until I find the right reduced meat to put with them. I found that a lot of the reduced veg I was buying was going off before I used it.
>>
>>7254714
Does he low and slow the brisket?
>>
>>7254730
he doesn't cook the brisket, I do. I cook it at 250 for 8-10 hours depending on the weight, covered in foil, in a coffee/garlic dry rub only.
>>
i often buy food for like half a week, eat everything in one day and gave to go shopping again next day
>>
I buy 50 lbs. of rice at a time, and just shop for meat and vegetables. In my experience, the people who shop at Kroger are the types that don't know the difference between "sell by" and "best by". The kinds of people who grab milk from the back.

A steak with a spot of discoloration or a "sale by" date of today is going to get marked down significantly. But the same customer who wouldn't buy a steak because of a discoloration sure as hell isn't going to buy it simply because it's on sale now.

Conclusion: that bin is always stocked full of price-reduced meats. I routinely find 22 oz. ribeeye steaks for $6. Pair that bad boy with some rice and broccoli. Hnnngggggg. Vacuum-packed whole chickens for a dollar and some change. I buy all of them and take them home and freeze them. Sometimes I go in there with the express goal of emptying out what I want in the meat bin. They had three whole pigs heads in there yesterday for $5 a piece. I bought one to smoke.

Kroger is the kind of place that can only sell green bananas.
>>
>>7254746
r u me
>>
>>7254728
cat bro is that you?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.