[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raisins in a savory meal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Dovine-Raisins[1].jpg (107 KB, 846x800) Image search: [Google]
Dovine-Raisins[1].jpg
107 KB, 846x800
I've kind of got this idea stuck in my head: I want to use raisins in a savory meal. Something meaty and rich with the raisins as a nice and sweet offset to the general flavor. No idea if it'd work or even taste well, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I think Moroccan food has a few recipes like this, but I haven't been able to find anything. Can someone here help me out? Recipes, ideas?
>>
i make curried barley with raisins in it

you could do it with rice also.. it's super good
>>
Pork chops with a raisin compote
>>
>>7253911
Skate wing with Raisins rehydrated in wine, capers, lemon Supremes and brown butter sauce.
>>
Most Morrocan a tajine dishes uses this principle with varied dried fruits. Raisins being one of the frequent.
>>
westernized curry, like coronation chicken or danish curry sometimes uses raisins or sultanas
>>
>>7253922
This sounds delicious
I usually like to rehydrate them in verjus or a mix of wine & juice & put them in a sauce
I also like to use golden raisins because I like the color
>>
I like Gordon Ramsay's Moroccan lamb - it uses raisins and sultanas in tomato sauce, along with some other goodies like cinnamon and sweet potato.
>>
>>7253911
Pork / chicken stir fry......

Pork or chicken.

Raisins, apple, pecans (or peanuts or filberts...whatever you have), onion, bell pepper, carrot, broccoli, garlic, chilli pepper (I use habanero, but use whatever you can stand for heat).

Salt, pepper, cumin, chilli powder, allspice, cinnamon.

Chop ingredients into whatever size you want for stir fry.
Heat oil and season with garlic and chilli for 30 secs before adding and cooking your protein, then pull it all out and set aside.
Add carrots, onion, bell pepper and pecans and start to sweat / cook them till they are at the consistency you like, I like some crunch in my stir fry, so I just cook them until the onion starts to get translucent.
Add the apple, raisins, broccoli, and the cooked meat / chilli / garlic back into the pan, season to taste with salt, pepper, cumin, chilli powder, allspice, and just a touch of cinamon, and stir until the broccoli gets to the consistency you want.
Serve over rice, or shove it in a tortilla for a wrap with salsa.
>>
>>7254080
Sounds easy and delicious, I like the addition of apples. Will definitely try that one, thanks anon!
>>
>>7253911
You have the right idea with Moroccan.

In to a casserole dish or slow cooker you should add some cubes of lamb that you have browned in a frying pan, some sliced onion and garlic that has been sweated with spices (cayenne, paprika, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg or anything else you like), passata, tinned tomatos, raisins/sultans, apricots, almonds (i usually just buy some sort of mixed dried fruit and nuts like trail mix for this) and if you have any, some saffron and stock.

Cook it low and slow until the lamb is tender.
>>
>>7253911
Grape leaves (dolma) stuffed with lamb, rice, raisins, pine nuts, and mint.
>>
I love raisins in savory dishes.

This Sicilian pasta dish isn't exactly meaty, but it's incredible simple and really satisfying:
https://youtu.be/G8SCJNcvhN8
>>
>>7255140
He added tomatoes to pasta foriana and called it his original dish...
>>
>>7253911

Tagines and curries use a lot of dried fruit. Same goes for pilaf. If you're putting it in a curry don't add it until nearer the end or they'll just dissolve.
>>
>>7255242
It's a simple pasta using some common Sicilian ingredients. I didn't hear him calling it "his" or "original" at any point.
>>
>>7255293
Ok Jamie's narration says "his unique pasta sauce" but it could be argued that it is unique to most of the world... and this version of foriana is not one I have seen anywhere else.
>>
I made stuffed cabbage with a tomato sauce that had rasins in it. They were the best part of the meal. They re-hydrated to the consistency of pearl onions, but were sweet.
>>
Chicken salad.
>>
>>7253911
Molé tastes weird to me if there's no raisins in it.

There's a tartness that works well with oily meat (pork, chicken), and plays very well with cumin and paprika.
>>
>>7253911

Tacos dude, it's really good if you also have jalapenos to add the spicy-sweet combo.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.