[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people so fervently against prepared vegetables? >FYI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: tesco r veg.jpg (47 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
tesco r veg.jpg
47 KB, 540x540
Why are people so fervently against prepared vegetables?

>FYI this tray of prepared veg is like £1.50
>>
>>7253498
That's a thing?
>>
>>7253498
They want to eat more
>>
the prepared veg ive seen on the shelves often look a bit past their best, perhaps people prefer to select their own veg and have the freshest ones

the 'thai spice mix' packet looks decent though, i might give it a go sometime
>>
because ecoli, cost and how lazy are you?
>>
>>7253498
Where I live that would be about 70 cents' worth of vegetables. So it appears you pay more than twice the price for vegetables that were cut who knows when and put in completely unnecessary packaging. And what do you get out of the deal? The convenience of not having to reach for a knife? No thanks.
>>
My wife's son won't eat vegetables and her ex husband said I'm a pussy for eating them

Is there any way I can prepare them so he'll eat them?
>>
>>7253498
1) In my area they are far more expensive than buying the vegetables from the produce section.

2) I don't get to inspect what veggies went into the mix. I want to select my own carrots, squash, tomatoes--I pick the best ones out of the bin. I don't want to be stuck with whatever happened to get packed in there.

3) Quite often these are made with the not-quite-expired veggies culled from the bulk bins in the supermarket. I'd rather have fresher. (on a side note, my local supermarkets do this with meat as well. Once it gets close to the sell-by date they cover it in various seasonings/marinades and then mark it down.)

4) I may or may not want the particular ratio of veggies that happen to be in the package like that, and I'd rather not have to pick through them. They also might not be cut to the size I want, and it's much easier to cut veggies starting from a whole one than it is to re-cut something that's the wrong size.
>>
>>7253518
Well you clearly don't live in London

1 Bell Pepper 70p
1 courgette maybe 50p
1 onion 30p
bag of cherry tomatoes £1
etc

It soon adds up, and i'm a student so this is more than enough for one meal.
>>
>>7253524

fuck off
>>
>>7253533
umad?
>>
It's usually more expensive, prepared by a retard, and I own a decent knife and know how to use it.

If something like pre-sliced mushrooms are on sale for the same price as whole and I'm just planning on sauteing them like that anyways I'll buy them. Otherwise they don't really make sense, and spoil faster.
>>
>>7253531
Cost per portion probably works out cheaper to buy the individual vegetables and make it yourself, but if you only want to eat it once, then those packs are pretty decent.

>Student in London
I've been through that. I didnt eat vegetables whilst doing it though.
>>
>>7253551
Yeah you're right i'm sure

Its just sharing a fridge with people who put apples and uncovered raw chicken on the same shelf...

That's why I avoid having leftovers

I'm at King's, where were you at?
>>
>>7253531

There's a lot less than one bell pepper, one onion, one bag of tomatoes, etc, in that package. The individual prices you are listing are higher than 1 pound fiddy, but you're also getting a lot more food.
>>
>>7253559
Just graduated from UCL.

Sudents are savages. I thought it would get better when I left uni and lived with 'professionals'. But those professionals are just the same people who were students last year too, and still do the same shit.
>>
>>7253531
I'm not a student, but I live with my boyfriend and it is hard to find some vegtables that aren't sold in large packs. The few vegtables that are sold individually cost a lot more....

They sell:
>bell peppers
>large baking potatos
>dirty tiny local potatoes
>white onions
>old tomatoes
>+some fruits like apples, oranges, avocado pomelo and pears.
It is all expensive compared to the ones that come in large packages, and are of worse quality as well.

I used to buy mine in large packages, when I first moved here, however, most of it ended up rotting and I got tired of that. I mainly buy the mixed prepared veggies now.

For students and small house holds, it is way cheaper to buy the mixed prepared vegtables, alongside large packages of stuff like onions and potatoes that don't rot fast.
>>
>>7253562
Yeah I know, but you can't buy half a courgette or 2/3 of a bell pepper can you? Dingus.

>>7253578
That's reassuring. Thanks for the heads up. I try and eat things besides tinned butter beans, avocado, cottage cheese and hoisin duck wraps but it ain't easy.
>>
>>7253531
You must have a variety of shops in London. I live in New York, and could easily pay that much or more for vegetables if I went to the wrong place (the supermarket or an upscale place that caters to rich people). But if I picked them up at a greengrocer stand (preferably a Chinese or Mexican run joint) in a less posh part of town they'd cost next to nothing. If I make the trip to the serious Chinese market I can get a week's worth of vegetables for under $10.

I know London is pricey as hell, but there have to be some immigrant neighborhoods where you can easily beat supermarket prices. If you're a broke ass student it might be worth making a trip to them.
>>
>>7253531
>1 onion 30p
That's definitely not true - red ones are generally about 10 - 15p each unless you're buying absolutely huge onions.

Also, bell peppers are 34p at most if you buy them in packs (and you should - they last in the fridge). Sainsbury's also sell 600g of mixed bell peppers for £1 now.

>>7253599
If you're only eating half a courgette or 2/3 of a bell pepper over a fortnight, which is how long they'll last at least, you can definitely work something else out.

As someone who has almost always lived in London (currently Canary Wharf), I don't understand people who complain about grocery prices in London.
>>
>£1.50
So, $5 in America? That's way too much.
>>
>>7253498
my local grocer (publix) chops and packages their own prepared veggies in house at completely reasonable prices. i havnt chopped up an onion in probably a year and a half.
>>
>>7254852
More like $2.20
>>
>>7253531
You have to work the cost per portion not the initial cost.

Also if you live in London Asian/Afro-Carribbean/Polish grocers and shops often have stuff for cheaper than supermarkets

Asian place near me has good veg for so cheap and he'll throw in the odd thing for free. Cheap pulses, rice and spices too. Polish place has cheap cured meat, pickles and rollmops.

African place has all sorts of cheap frozen meat and fish as well as a decent selection of dried and canned goods. Turns out turkey necks are great for flavouring stews and beans for pennies
>>
>>7254899
Same for Wegman's
>>
File: m'lady.jpg (23 KB, 350x487) Image search: [Google]
m'lady.jpg
23 KB, 350x487
Because this board is populated by teenagers and college students who think it's a huge accomplishment that they figured out how to cut up an onion without ending up in the ER, and they have to shove it down everyone's throats at all opportunities.

I occasionally buy pre-cut squash, since that stuff is a bitch to peel and cut and it's the same end result. Other than that though I'm a sperg who likes to spend hours on knife maintenance and I'm not letting some minimum wage worker have all the fun.

If I wasn't a knife sperg I'd probably buy pre-cut onions though, deal with it you faggots.
>>
File: 1438708443396.jpg (21 KB, 316x285) Image search: [Google]
1438708443396.jpg
21 KB, 316x285
>>7254899
went to one publix and loved it, its the place desu.
>>
>>7255044
It takes me less than a minute to peel and finely dice a large onion, and I'm sure that is slow by many people's standards. It's not a huge accomplishment at all. It's rather baffling how many people can't deal with such a simple task.

What is this "squash" you speak of? Zucchini? Butternut? Red kuri? I have trouble thinking of a squash that you have to peel, and all of them take at most a few minutes to slice and remove the seeds.

You can buy all the pre-cut second grade shit you want, but don't pretend that there's a good excuse for it other than laziness.
>>
>>7255120
Most varieties of hard winter squash. It's baffling to me that you couldn't figure this out without asking.
> second grade shit
I am not sure what this is supposed to mean, is it an implication about my age? Or are you saying that the squash I purchase is bad quality? It comes in clear plastic containers, it is very easy to see how fresh it is, and it's always pretty fresh. After roasting and possibly pureeing and blending with a bunch of other ingredients, I guarantee you will not be able to taste the difference between a squash that was cut up right before cooking, and a squash that was cut up 6 hours before cooking. You're delusional if you think otherwise.
>>
>>7255120
kek, looks like we've got one right here
proud of that new maillard word you just learned?
>>
>>7253498
It's almost always overpriced.
>>
Vegs cost like £1-2 per kg.
Thats the main thing you dislike about it.

The other are if the box has vegetables that don't store well, like onion or peppers. Boxes will also not contain certain things because they can't last the storage days.
Carrots is one of the things that roasts well, but is rare in the boxes because it perishes faster.
>>
>>7255146
I just skimmed a list of 11 common types of winter squash, and only one (Hubbard squash) requires peeling. I have eaten 8 others on the list and have never peeled them. I'm not familiar with any other squash that requires peeling.

If the squash is cut on the morning of your purchase, then I apologise and you are right. Around here I don't really see pre-cut vegetables anywhere but the supermarket.
>>
>>7255165
You are projecting way too hard. Anyone can slice vegetables after watching a couple of youtube videos and practising for an hour.
>>
>>7255201
I'm not sure what definition of "requires peeling" you're using, I imagine it has something to do with roasting and eating whole, yes? Of course you can eat the tender skin of many varieties of winter squash, but if you are making a soup or a mash or some such thing, it gives an unpleasant texture and the skin should be removed. You can often remove them before cooking more or less easily, but then you have to cool it down. Sure it's "just a few minutes", just like the "just a few minutes" peeling, and the "just a few minutes" restoring the perfect edge of my knife that I dulled on the hard shell.

Or I could just buy pre-cut, pre-peeled squash, which I do sometimes. Obviously, not at the greenmarket.

I really find it amusing how people rage so hard at taking shortcuts. It's like this on /g/ too, if you don't spend 5,000 hours configuring the transparency settings in KDE and fucking with an unholy amount of config files to make your font rendering come out perfect, you're considered a retard who hates technology. I like wasting time on hobbies as much as the next guy, but I'll gladly admit that's exactly what it is.
>>
>>7255214
>practicing anything but shitposting and memes for an hour
Around these parts that counts as a major accomplishment that justifies significant levels of smug elitism.
>>
>>7255217
Your points are all very valid and I apologise for my narrow-mindedness on the subject of vegetable prep. If you can get freshly peeled and sliced squash, I can definitely see why you would buy it to make soup or purée.
>>
>>7253531
Bell peppers are three for £1, m8
>>
>>7255217
But I like the peels in muh purée. Just like in mashed puhdurdurs the peel can add a pleasant texture if done correctly.

But yeah, if you don't like added fibre in your diet or you prefer the texture of baby food (not an insult) then yeah, I get buying the pre-cut/peeled stuff. Your purchase allows the store to make money off of ugly or damaged fruit. Less waste that way.
>>
>>7253524
Tell him to enjoy his painful butt cancer and tell her son he's a big old faggot and all the girls will hate him if he doesn't eat his veggies.
>>
>>7255201
wow who called the squash nazi? chill bruv
>>
>>7253498
Just get frozen vegetables.
>>
File: 1451627026850.jpg (37 KB, 592x577) Image search: [Google]
1451627026850.jpg
37 KB, 592x577
>>7253531
>>7253669

shit, I wish produce was that cheap at the supermarkets by me..onions especially.
>>
>>7253498
I think iti has something to do with the packaging the veggies are marketed in, environment and whatnot. Also, the veggies are sprayed with a chemical solution to ensure freshness.
>>
>>7257173
lol
>>
I would buy them if it was even a little bit worth it.

Baby potatoes 500g - $6.00
Butternut squash 500g - $8.00
Mixed "root" veg 500g - $8.00

like.. no thanks.
>>
>>7253498
Some people think that the prices they pay for veggies are the exact same elsewhere. I'm guessing they haven't left their area before or something. Here in my town vegetables and fruit are really overpriced. And for some reason my local supermarket stopped selling individual potatoes so now I have to go to Walmart to get them, and good god is the produce there shitty. Hell, the produce in most of the shops around here are terrible. I don't know how these fuckers do it. The farmer's market is too out of the way to even consider going to as well.

Good thing frozen/canned vegetables and fruit exist I suppose.
>>
>>7258848
>Also, the veggies are sprayed with a chemical solution to ensure freshness.
Pretty much everything is my nigga, there's no escaping it unless you grow it yourself.
>>
>>7258881
what about cantaloupes?
>>
>>7258887
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyJR6zOZ0Q
>>
>>7253498

Because that's expensive as fuck. I can make a whole meal average out to that price.

If you don't check price per gram/kg you're fucking youself over. I'd maybe say that it's convenient but the tomatoes aren't prepared, and peppers and courgettes are one of the 'fun' things to prepare.
>>
>>7258912

ALSO

>Cooks in 30 minutes

Fuck maybe if you didn't chop shit so poorly it'd cook in half the time. Fuck these things.
>>
File: apollo.jpg (11 KB, 276x182) Image search: [Google]
apollo.jpg
11 KB, 276x182
>>7258907
muh nigga.
>>
>>7258912
>courgettes
This isn't a word. Please re-read the SI Brochure
>>
>>7258907
dude that beat is right in line with my sex rhythm too. i'll add it to my list. my fat gf thanks you.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.