[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the fuck is wrong with this state? why do they think they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 16
File: CARMEEEELLLAAAAAAA.jpg (50 KB, 600x544) Image search: [Google]
CARMEEEELLLAAAAAAA.jpg
50 KB, 600x544
what the fuck is wrong with this state?

why do they think they have the best food?

is it all the Gabagool-Americans that are perpetuating this lie?

Terrible place, I recommend you never go there.
>>
>>7253126
>why do they think they have the best food?
who the hell said we have the best food?
that's absolutely false

also 973/862 ww@
>>
New Jersey is awful. I was born there and refuse to ever go back for any reason other than driving through on my way to somewhere else.
>>
>>7253126

Where'd you get that from?
>>
File: trenton-tomato-pie.jpg (131 KB, 646x431) Image search: [Google]
trenton-tomato-pie.jpg
131 KB, 646x431
>>7253126

New Jersey supplies much of the food for New York City and Philadelphia.

This is most likely how NJ earned it's nickname, "The Garden State".
>>
>>7253126
>what the fuck is wrong with this state?
The uneasy mix of upscale suburbs, urban blight, smelly industry, shipping and farmland?
I don't think they have the best food, but they have some great food. In season Jersey sweet corn and tomatoes are tough to beat. There's good seafood by the shore. It's pretty easy to find very good Mexican, Peruvian, Spanish, Portuguese, Indian and Italian American in NJ, along with the last gasps of the old school American diners/burger joints. And they have their own kooky junk food, like hot dogs with marinara sauce and fries jammed into the bun, along with breakfast sandwiches made with Taylor ham. Not to mention pretty good pizza if you like the giant floppy slice that you fold over to eat. It's very far from a food wasteland.
>I recommend you never go there.
I can think of much worse places, but if you're in the Northeast you can do better. That said, while Newark is a total shithole and Jersey City is best avoided if you find yourself in either you can get a decent bite to eat. Avoid Trenton like the plague.
>>
>>7253296
It earned the name "The Garden State" due to how many gardens it had during the early days of America, you fucking mongoloid. Theres absolutely no debate about where that nickname came from

Also gardens and farms are completely different. Jesus christ, I think you're one of the most retarded people I've seen on here in awhile, even worse than that Monsanta/GM shill that typed at a 4th grade level.
>>
>>7253126
I don't live near New Jersey at all but I have never heard anyone claim it has good food
>>
File: sandwich.jpg (85 KB, 628x601) Image search: [Google]
sandwich.jpg
85 KB, 628x601
>>7253348
>Theres absolutely no debate about where that nickname came from

You sure about that, bro?

http://www.state.nj.us/njfacts/garden.htm

>There is no definitive explanation for New Jersey's nickname of "The Garden State."

>"In his address Mr. Browning compared New Jersey to an immense barrel, filled with good things to eat and open at both ends, with Pennsylvanians grabbing from one end and the New Yorkers from the other. He called New Jersey the Garden State, and the name has clung to it ever since."

It goes on to say that this may not be the origin of the nickname, but there's clearly some room for discussion.

Also, why are you so mad about Jersey? I know there are some annoying people here, but why let that bother you?

Bumping with NJ traditional cuisine.
>>
>>7253348
>being against GMOs in 2016

Know how I know you don't even have a high school level education yet?
>>
>>7253416
He's right though.
>>
File: 1444360748337.jpg (25 KB, 183x152) Image search: [Google]
1444360748337.jpg
25 KB, 183x152
>>7253317
>breakfast sandwiches made with Taylor ham
>Taylor ham
Die.
>>
>>7253126
Best food in the country? Idk about that but it's damn good.
Tons of Italians in the state & I doubt you'll find anyone in the world that doesn't like italian cuisine
Our produce is top knotch, good luck finding better tomatoes anywhere else
A fair amount of high end restaurants plus NYC is nearby
Best pizza & bagels in the country due to our water
Seafood all summer long
Huge melting pot of ethnicities with varied cuisines
We're not the best state in the country but we're certainly not flyover state when it comes to food
>>
>>7253440
fuckin south jersey fags, it's taylor ham
>>
>>7253440
What's your issue? Do you call it pork roll? Or do you just not like the stuff? As far as regional junk food goes it's not that bad.
>>
This thread is stupid. Kill yourself, OP.

>>7253522
To be perfectly fair, you could give a review like this for just about any state. Some of these are empty claims like "our produce is top knotch". Practically impossible to prove. Then there's this whopper: "Huge melting pot of ethnicities with varied cuisines" That pretty much describes any major city in the U.S. since America is so fucking awesome.

Now don't get me wrong. It doesn't mean you're not right. You're passionate and that's great.

Here's Arkansas:

Best food in the country? Idk about that but it's damn good.
Tons of Blacks in the state & I doubt you'll find anyone in the world that doesn't like Soul food and barbecue
Our produce is top knotch, good luck finding better farmer markets anywhere else
A fair amount of high end restaurants plus New Orleans, St. Louis, Dallas, and Memphis are all nearby (Austin is a thing apparently)
Best bathhouses in the country due to our water (Hot Springs) ;-)
Decent but not great seafood when BP isn't up to their shenangigans
Deer, ducks, frogs, wild hogs oh my
Nobody cooks pigs better than we do in my humble opinion (and some of our cooks have James Beards awards if that matters to the reader)
Huge melting pot of ethnicities with varied cuisines
We're not the best state in the country but we're certainly not flyover state when it comes to food
>>
>>7253700

>this thread is stupid
>proceeds to write half a chapter about NJ cuisine

You're welcome.
>>
>>7253126
not gonna lie i thought that was a tattoo of the outline of the korean peninsular
>>
File: ;.jpg (140 KB, 1075x720) Image search: [Google]
;.jpg
140 KB, 1075x720
who /hudsoncounty/ here?
>>
File: logo1-4.png (9 KB, 353x146) Image search: [Google]
logo1-4.png
9 KB, 353x146
>yfw listening to Dennis "Good Goy" Malloy and Judy " Rude Jude" Franco
>>
>>7253709
That's some terrible reading comprehension you've got there.
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 600x600
New Jersey is the only flyover state on the east coast.
Prove me wrong. OH WAIT YOU CANT
>>
>>7253786
Pennsylvania called...
>>
>>7253795
When did Pennsylvania get a coast?
>>
>>7253822
this is the part where you pretend that everyone doesn't consider Pennsylvania an "east coast" state, despite its lack of atlantic coast line.
>>
>>7253786
I have yet to meet another person who lives on the east coast who doesn't only drive through New Jersey on the way to somewhere else, with the exception of residents of that state. It's kinda freaky.
>>
>>7253700
While I've never been to arkansas I'm having a hard time believing they have a large population of koreans, chinese, Japanese, italians, polish, russian, Venezuelan, Costa rican, french, Ukrainian, Mexican, philippino & basically every other nationality you can think of
Arkansas known for its produce & seafood? Name some for me please
Large concentration of michelin starred restaurants in the area? No, of course not. It's fucking arkansas
You guys might have a solid handle on bbq & soul food. Outside of that it's chain restaurant after chain restaurant
>>
>>7253846
>I have yet to meet another person who lives on the east coast who doesn't only drive through New Jersey on the way to somewhere else, with the exception of residents of that state
I live in NYC, and most of my NJ experience is driving through it to get to somewhere else. But I have eaten in some of the Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in Newark and the Peruvian joints around Harrison/Kearny. There is good food there.
>>
We have the best tomatoes and blueberries. And some decent seafood. everything else not so much. The pizza here is disgusting.

>>7253317

Jerseyfag here (not for long though.) I love diners. they don't have them elsewhere?
>>
>>7253866
Largest producer of cranberries too
>>
>>7253568

>insulting the only good half of the state (other than the highlands)

North jersey is jew york shitty's armpit.
>>
>>7253863
North jersey is good for the Portuguese & Brazilian food, like the newark area. Other than that though that area is a shit hole.
Go further south to areas like princeton or even new brunswick & find Michelin starred restaurants with their own farms or to the coast for seafood joints that have been family owned & operated for 50+ years
>>
>>7253866
>I love diners. they don't have them elsewhere?
They do, but they are disappearing in many places, being replaced by chain joints. There are so many diners in Jersey that even if they are in decline you can still easily find a decent one.
>>
>>7253891
>North jersey is good for the Portuguese & Brazilian food, like the newark area. Other than that though that area is a shit hole.
No argument.
>>
>>7253846
>People from neighboring states never visit New Jersey

I have two words for you: Giants Stadium
>>
>Trenton
>bad

Found the flyover babbies.
>>
File: 2439.jpg (43 KB, 600x410) Image search: [Google]
2439.jpg
43 KB, 600x410
I'll just leave this here.

Also, NJ pizza and diner food is GOAT.
>>
File: RC76Amj.jpg (205 KB, 924x1600) Image search: [Google]
RC76Amj.jpg
205 KB, 924x1600
>>7253956
Whoops, wrong version.
>>
>>7253846
>What is the Jersey Shore?
>>
You guys wanna hear a good joke?

"Central" Jersey
>>
>>7253317
>Alfred M. Heston, in his two-volume work, Jersey Waggon Jaunts, published in 1926 ( Camden, NJ, Atlantic County Historical Society, 1926), twice credits Abraham Browning of Camden with coining the name at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia on New Jersey Day, August 24, 1876. On page 310 of volume 2 he writes: "In his address Mr. Browning compared New Jersey to an immense barrel, filled with good things to eat and open at both ends, with Pennsylvanians grabbing from one end and the New Yorkers from the other. He called New Jersey the Garden State, and the name has clung to it ever since." The problem with this is that the image of a barrel tapped at both ends dates back at least to Benjamin Franklin, so this statement crediting Browning with naming the Garden State can not be taken at face value.
>>
>>7253901

Chains are disgusting. I'd rather eat at the shittiest greasy spoon mom and pop place than a chain. Fucking normies.

>>7253891
>south to areas like princeton or even new brunswick
>princeton
>nb
>south

>>7253961

Cape May is nice, though. Otherwise accurate. CM is pretty much connecticut or rhode island.
>>
>>7254000
South of newark
Read the context of the post
>>
NJ is a worse version of CT
>>
File: gif-GTA-games-driving-394312.gif (935 KB, 300x195) Image search: [Google]
gif-GTA-games-driving-394312.gif
935 KB, 300x195
>be NYC native oldfag
>moved to jersey city in 1992
>mfw my area now has multiple beer gardens, korean, korean/french, french, vietnamese, cajun/vietnamese, traditional chinese, american chinese, thai, japanese, italian, pizza, italian delis, indian, pakistani, halal, seafood, burgers, neo-american, mexican, tex-mex, brazilian, bbq, jamaican, bagels, bakeries, philipino, portuguese, multiple supermarkets, multiple farmers markets, multiple small independent markets, a dozen bars, butcher, fishmonger, two tea shops and niche eateries like crepes, rice balls, gelato, ice cream, etc.
>>
>>7254000
Cape May is for spoiled rich brats. Go to Sea Isle you pussy.
>>
>flyovers who to go to Quickcheck in the Pine Barrens thinking they can judge NJ
>>
>>7253961
>lakewood not marked as a jew land
>>
>>7253348
DURRRRRRR
>>
>>7254040
>implying flyovers ever have a reason to go to New Jersey

Why would we ever do that?
>>
>>7254040
It isn't just people from flyover states that talk shit about NJ. NYC is right next to you and says worse shit about you than anyone else.
>>
>>7254066

Don't make me piss in your kale, or whatever it is we ship you.
>>
>>7253725
Jersey City, Heights here.

>>7253317
Why avoid Jersey City? We're the most diverse per area city. You can get any type of food here. Avoid the Greenville area though.
>>7254030
It's amazing right? Areas where growing up my friends and I would go to goof off are now more expensive places to live then any of us could afford.

I love how downtown is become almost all pedestrian only.

>>7254066
We don't care what NYC says. They come over and do all their shopping here anyway. So hypocrite be damned.
>>
>>7254538
>Avoid the Greenville area though.
what, you don't like getting shot/stabbed? fake hipster...
>>
>>7254066
That's because they're bitter retards that mostly live in slums while NJ bigshots are the only thing keeping their city alive living in cozy Essex mansions
>>
>>7253626
It's pork roll.
>>
>>7253978
Say it to my face, I'm in the 732. Fuck you bennys.
>>
>>7254851
Yeah, my family is from Philly, so that's what I grew up calling it. But I have no problem with it baing called Taylor Ham in Jersey. Why do you?
>>
>>7255659
Because I can.
>>
>>7253700

Not Michigan

Michigan fucking sucks

Jerseyfag here
>>
>your face when you realize all those Michelin star restaurants in Manhattan get a huge amount of produce from Jersey farms

Pizza is godtier
italian food is all top notch
pork roll
diner food
cheap roadside seafood
diversity like no other state
density

I dream of opening a restaurant in Asbury Park
>>
>>7253961
Springsteen country is best country.
>>
The corn and blueberries are the best I've ever had. I enjoy the local pizza and diners, and depending on where you are in the state there are pretty damn good restaurants of most cuisines. Plus, tons of seafood places along the shore.

>>7253956
>grew up in that sweet spot between lake houses, executives, and the hill people
Beautiful forest and historic, mountainous surroundings without sacrificing convenience, plus just an hour drive to Manhattan.

>>7254066
Yeah, I really don't get the animosity. Obviously we're not fuckin' New York City, nowhere in the country is even comparable. Despite how small it is, New Jersey is incredibly diverse in urban development, geography, demographics, etc. Casting one judgment over the whole state is bizarre to me.

Besides, the objective worst parts of the state are directly outside of Philly and NYC (Camden and Newark). I guess that's all they see and that's how they judge it?
>>
>>7253849
>You guys might have a solid handle on bbq & soul food. Outside of that it's chain restaurant after chain restaurant
says the person who's never been there
>>
>>7253978
You mean the best place to get Italian food?
>>
>>7255618
732, Old Bridge represent. Not a bad place as long as you could afford to stay in a nicer neighborhood. Middlesex was always weird to me with how easily you could end up on long stretches of farmland you never knew existed despite growing up there.
>>
>>7256418
Old Bridge as well.

NJ is pretty decent, definitely dig the abundance of diners.
>>
>>7253736
I really do hate those faggots
>>
>>7253126
I really don't think anyone would agree that NJ has the best food. It has plenty of good restaurants and an extremely diverse selection of cuisines, but I wouldn't ever call it the best. Thats too broad a term.
>>
File: 1452098908781.jpg (148 KB, 830x1262) Image search: [Google]
1452098908781.jpg
148 KB, 830x1262
Word to the wise
>>
>>7253700

good qualities are often generic you smarmy git
>>
>>7253157
>driving through on my way to somewhere else
Couldn't you just go around?
>>
>>7253846
6 flags?
>>
>>7257167
Heading west out of the city lands you in Jersey unless you head pretty far north first.
>>
File: paulie-gualtieri[1].jpg (7 KB, 208x179) Image search: [Google]
paulie-gualtieri[1].jpg
7 KB, 208x179
>>7257109
that's hilarious, needs to have this hand gesture though
>>
File: 145072036497.jpg (46 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
145072036497.jpg
46 KB, 624x351
>>7253348
ya played yaself
>>
>>7253130
908 reporting, nobody thinks we have the best food OP just porkroll and thats not even that good. About to move out of state for a little though
>>
>>7257404
Where you at? My parents are 908 and they live in Warren.
>>
>>7258673
I'm at yer mums place eating her tuna surprise! Heeeeeeyyyyyy-ooooo
>>
>>7258699
Ey get a look at this jabronie ova heeyuh
>>
>What is wrong with the state

A shittier New York lite with a fascist police state
>>
>>7258713
>fascist police state

You're probably just a stupid teenager

Cops here are only schticklers about traffic and parking violations
>>
>>7257404
>porkroll

It's taylor ham, you uncultured swine.
>>
>>7253978
Fuck you I live there
>>
File: 1451875576154.gif (2 MB, 334x357) Image search: [Google]
1451875576154.gif
2 MB, 334x357
>>7253978
>>7253978

keking at you plebs from my condo in up here in Bergen County best county
>>
>>7258721
He's probably one of those Tim McVeigh wannabes who thinks that if he can't patrol his "castle" with a Title II registered 40mm autocannon while wearing the authentic Wehrmacht gas mask he purchased from a fellow weirdo on eBay, his fundamental human rights are being violated.

NJ is shit though, they actually believe that slushy ice blended with corn syrup and food coloring is an authentic eye-talian dessert.
>>
>>7253961
where they filmed clerks reppin

im in colorado now and it's tough to find decent pizza
impossible to find a good sub. times are tough and everyone is using smaller and smaller bread
>>
File: njfarm.jpg (200 KB, 1920x700) Image search: [Google]
njfarm.jpg
200 KB, 1920x700
NJ is not the greatest state but i truly don't mind living here. I lived in Los Angeles for a stretch and it was impossible to hold an intellectual conversation with a majority of that city's residents. I live across the street from a farm here in a very peaceful place. I have access to good food and great supermarkets( ten minutes away from wegmans, trader joes, and whole foods). I live about an hour from Manhattan and an hour for Philly. I live 40 minutes away from an international airport .
>>7253866
>>7253317
NJ has a bunch of avpn pizza places as well as Delorenzo's. Other than that you guys are right but i get amazing pizza. here.
>>7255618
>>7256418
I am close to you senpai.
>>
>>7259087
How do you live exactly as far from both Newark and NYC as me yet closer to Philly than me? You're lying about your travel time to one of those three places you liar.
>>
>>7259109
I am not lying you fucking peasant. South Brunswick.
>>
>>7259126
Hmm, checked google maps and it looks like I'm closer to Newark and New York than I thought. I guess I always travel with loads of traffic.

Very well, you're correct. Also lol @ South Brunswick peon calling anyone a peasant.
>>
File: 1443995067945.jpg (119 KB, 540x810) Image search: [Google]
1443995067945.jpg
119 KB, 540x810
>>7253126
I'm from Cranford, New Jersey and I just want to say that I love this great state.
>>
>>7259147
its ok to be a peasant senpai.
>>
>>7256418

/732/ here as well friend
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.