[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wok wok wok
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: img22c.jpg (14 KB, 574x459) Image search: [Google]
img22c.jpg
14 KB, 574x459
I want to make stir fry and fried rice. Stupid question, but should I cook it in a wok, or can I pull off the same quality in a cast iron skillet? What are the benefits of woks if I want to invest in one?
>>
>>7252963
Cast iron skillet is fine.
Woks are obsolete really, waste of money.
>>
>>7252963
You need heat and lots of it. The average gas stove in homes is about 7,000 BTUs. A good wok burner will push you up to 130,000 BTUs and more.

And since you're going to be cooking on a wok burner, then a wok is the right choice.

But if you just want to make shitty stir fries, then by all means do it your way.
>>
>>7252967
Please don't give advice if you are not qualified to do so. Thanks.
>>
>>7252981
:^)
>>
File: Louis.jpg (16 KB, 450x349) Image search: [Google]
Louis.jpg
16 KB, 450x349
>>7252981
Too easy.
>>
File: retard.jpg (40 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
40 KB, 349x642
>>7252985
>>7252993
>>
You can use a skillet.

The only issues I ever have is when I try to use rice that's only a day old, or so, as it still has a lot of moisture and can want to stick to the pan. Rice that's been in the fridge for 3 or more days always turns out good.
>>
>>7253134
>can never do this because any little bit of leftover rice I leave in the fridge my mom inhales
>>
File: IMG_4064.jpg (202 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4064.jpg
202 KB, 1536x1024
>>7252978

Basically this. Good fried rice requires some serious heat. It also requires being tossed, which is difficult to do with the heavy weight and flat shape of a skillet

On the other hand, Woks require an actual fire--either gas or over charcoal/wood/etc. If you don't have that then you have no choice but to use a flat skillet, in which case you'll have to make an approximation of the dish instead.
>>
>>7253153
I have a wok, but nothing to burn it on at the moment, I inherited it recently. Is it worth it to get a fire pit for it? I use a charcoal grill, so I usually have charcoal on hand at any given time.
>>
File: 61aOHd+BCuL._SL1500_.jpg (97 KB, 898x1000) Image search: [Google]
61aOHd+BCuL._SL1500_.jpg
97 KB, 898x1000
>>7253167

Not in my opinion. If you want to buy something that lets you use the wok easier then I'd suggest a "turkey fryer" burner like pic related. They are less expensive and easier to use than an actual fire. I posted the pic with the grill to illustrate that you can do that in a pinch if you already have the grill (which many people do).
>>
>>7253180
Thanks! I'll keep this in mind
>>
>>7253167
You can use the charcoal grill.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.