[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some recommendations for vegetarian friendly meals?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: veggiechili.jpg (411 KB, 616x462) Image search: [Google]
veggiechili.jpg
411 KB, 616x462
What are some recommendations for vegetarian friendly meals? Preferably something I can make a lot of ahead of time and eat over the course of a week.
GF is vegetarian, whereas I eat meat as well as veggies, so we're looking for meals we can make that'll last us.
We're starting off with chili, and I'm just gonna add in my meat when I reheat it.
>>
Gun
1 bullet
>>
>>7250267
That won't last all week.
>>
>>7250268
Sure it will.
>>
>>7250268
It'll last the rest of your life
>>
>>7250263
>vegetarian

have you tried eating your own shit?
>>
Thanks guys. You've been very helpful.
>>
Red lentil stew is delicious, reheats and freeze well. Serve with greek yogurt.

Chili is a good idea. A basic red sauce (mainly for quick pasta dishes) is a must.
>>
>>7250303
I'm a bit nervous about cooking with lentils because
1. I've never had them
and 2. A co-worker can only afford to eat lentil stew and he hates it.
>>
>>7250263
You can try substituting Boca crumbles for ground beef. Normally it's not great but in something like chili it works.

I'd suggest overdoing it on the hot sauce, then smear it on your dick and shove it in her vegetarian ass. Maybe add some shredded cheese.
>>
>>7250322
We're running low on hot sauce.
>>
>>7250321
Also chickpea and cauliflower curry. Or regular curries without meat (which can easily be added later on).
>>
>>7250321
Lentils are delicious, anything tastes bad without variety
>>
>>7250321
Lentils are so easy. No soaking and minimal cooking time. Le puy lentils are great for salads (cold and warm), red and green for stews.

It's not lentils fault your coworker is miserable.
>>
>>7250322
Boca products in general are very good. The only thing I've tried and not liked are the sausage links.
>>
>>7250263
Fried rice.
Potato curry
Flat breads

Freeze them and reheat when needed.
>>
>>7250267
>>7250270
>>7250281
>>7250285
morbidly obese faggots
>>
make corn bread for the chili
>>
Indian food has a lot of vegetarian choices. Mexican is heavy on the rice and beans and can easily be made vegetarian, if it isn't already.
>>
make veggie chili. you don't need all that meat.
>>
>>7250816
sounds like projection
>>
>>7250886
That doesn’t usually involve physical attributes.
>>
I have 2 favorites that come to mind.

Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta
INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
freshly cracked pepper to taste
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 oz. cream cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan
½ lb. penne pasta
½ (9 oz.) bag fresh spinach

INSTRUCTIONS
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender (7-10) minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander.
While waiting for the pasta to cook, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Cook both in a large skillet with the olive oil over medium-low heat until softened and transparent (about 5 minutes).
Add the diced tomatoes (with juices), oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper to the skillet with the onions and garlic. Stir to combine. Add the tomato paste and a ½ cup of water to the skillet and stir until the tomato paste is dissolved into the sauce.
Turn the heat down to low. Cut the cream cheese into a few pieces and then add them to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Use a whisk to stir the sauce until the cream cheese has fully melted in and the sauce is creamy. Add half of the Parmesan to the skillet and whisk until it is melted in. Add the remainder of the parmesan and whisk until melted in again.
Add the fresh spinach and gently stir it into the sauce until it has wilted (3-5 minutes). Add the pasta and stir until it is well coated in the creamy tomato sauce. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.

I usually add mushrooms to this. I like baby bellas
>>
>>7250922

Black Bean Quesadillas

INGREDIENTS
1 (15 oz.) can black beans
1 cup frozen corn kernels
½ small red onion
1 clove garlic
¼ bunch fresh cilantro
2 cups shredded cheese
1 batch taco seasoning
10 taco sized tortillas

INSTRUCTIONS
Drain the can of beans and rinse lightly. Place the beans in a large bowl along with the corn (no need to thaw).
Rinse the cilantro, remove the leaves, and chop roughly. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add the cilantro, onion, garlic, and shredded cheese to the bowl with the beans and corn. Lastly, mix up a batch of taco seasoning and add to the bowl. Stir everything until evenly mixed.
Place a half cup of the filling on one side of each tortilla and fold over. Cook in a skillet on both sides over medium heat until brown and crispy and the cheesy filling has melted.
To freeze the quesadillas, simply fill each one and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer for one hour to solidify the quesadillas and then transfer to a freezer bag. To reheat either microwave (for a soft quesadilla) or cook in a skillet on low heat (make sure to use low heat so that the filling has time to thaw and melt before the outside burns).

These freeze really well so I like to make a double batch freeze half and reheat them for lunches when I don't have time to make something.

Both these recipes are super easy and quick to whip up
>>
>>7250922
Is cream cheese vegetarian?
>>
>>7250933
yes. do you know the difference between vegetarian and vegan? they are not the same. vegetarians dont eat meat, vegans dont eat ANY animal products that would include dairy.
>>
>>7250940
Right. I forgot about vegans for a second.
>>
>>7250933
>>7250940
Actually, some cheese is not considered vegetarian because the rennet comes from the stomach lining of cows. As an example I'm pretty sure Einsten Bagels' cream cheeses contain animal rennet, making it surprisingly not vegetarian friendly. Depends on how strict the vegetarian is though.
>>
>>7250886
i know you're memeing, but to be projecting, i'd have to unconsciously be morbidly obese and hate vegetarians. i'm fat, i'll grant you that, but it's unlikely i have a secret hatred of vegetarians.
>>
>>7250961
Another surprising example is Taco Bell's sour cream. It contains gelatin, which is derived from animals. Maybe it's not so surprising, since Taco Bell is nothing but adulterated garbage.
>>
Never appease picky eaters, thats what Britain did for Hitler and it started WWII
>>
>>7250961
>Actually, some cheese is not considered vegetarian because the rennet comes from the stomach lining of cows
This is a hilarious situation because the alternative is rennet produced from GMO organisms, something leftists also hate. So either you are killing a baby cow to make your cheese (and we make far more cheese than we eat veal as a society so they would have to be killing these baby cows just to harvest the rennet) or using GMO yeast
>>
>>7251322
>the only alternative is politically inconvenient

Back to your containment board.
>>
>>7251546
I mean both sides are inconvenient for picky eaters. Being against eating meat and being against GMOs are both absurd stances to hold, but if you want to have cheese you are gonna have to chose. Its a hilarious scenario
>>
>>7251558
So.. leftist, picky eaters who are against eating meat and also against GMOs, and they also really like cheese.

That can't be more than a dozen people in the entire country.
>>
>>7251580
I feel like there is a huge overlap between vegetarians and people against GMOs

also, being a vegetarian or against GMO makes you a picky eater, so that doesn't narrow it down any further
>>
>>7250263
I'd do a lot of curries. Serve with some kind of flatbread like naan.
>>
>>7251580
Which country?
>>
>>7250263
Well for this season I recomend Ash-E-Mash it's a dish served in Iran, easy to make ...just takes a long time to cook, however you can make much of it and eat it over the course of a couple of days.

Copy-pasta recipe I got from a website:
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 2 hr
Ready in: 2 hour 10 mins
Yields: 6 to 8 Servings

INGREDIENTS
1 large onion peeled and chopped
¼ cup oil
1 cup mung beans rinsed and drained
1 cup long grain basmati rice rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt (use less if stock is salty)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 quarts (16 cups) low sodium chicken stock (use vegetable stock for vegetarian and vegan version)
5 medium turnips peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed (2½ cups cooked)

https://masteringpersiancooking.wordpress.com/category/ashsoupkhorakabgoosht/ash-mash/
>>
>>7250263
>vegetarian """"""""""chili""""""""""

that's like tuna """""steak"""""
>>
>>7250285
but is that really vegetarian?
after all you're eating animal products.

>>7250263
>vegetarian friendly meals
define better what you mean.
how the fuck can a meal be "vegetarian friendly"?
Is it made for vegetarians or not?

Literally anything without meat works.
Just make sure your gf gets all the protein she needs, if you know what I mean.

>>7250321
How they fuck is it even possible to have never eaten lentils?
Try them. I had some for launch, and they were delicious.

>A co-worker can only afford to eat lentil stew and he hates it.
>only afford lentil stew

That's bullshit, and this comes from a guy that lives on 150$ per month.
>>
http://www.moreveganblog.com/2014/06/28/bbq-pulled-jackfruit/
>>
>>7251592
>I feel like there is a huge overlap between vegetarians and people against GMOs
Maybe you should take your feelings somewhere with the rest of the leftist. Bring back facts. I'm a vegetarian and have no issues with good GMO as long as the corporate powers are kept in check. None of the bullshit DRM should be applied to foods. >no copying > no sharing >no modifying >no distributing.

>>7253073
>Is it made for vegetarians or not?
Probably talking about a complete (or as close to complete) dietary nutrients/protiens/etc Not french fries/chocolate chip/candy
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.