[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a GOOD deep fat fryer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 71Vw+4WSbfL._SL1500_.jpg (126 KB, 1500x1073) Image search: [Google]
71Vw+4WSbfL._SL1500_.jpg
126 KB, 1500x1073
Hey /ck/,

I'm looking for a good deep fryer, one that can get back up to cooking temperature relatively quickly after food is added.

I bought pic related (Waring Pro DF280) off of amazon a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't the cheapest, and it had pretty good reviews, so I committed to buy thinking I'm pretty unlikely to be unhappy with it.

When I actually got to frying with it though, the results weren't that good. It was leaving a ton of grease on my food, and the oil stank like rotten fish after only two uses, even though I'd been filtering it religiously. Apparently a low temperature--below 375 degrees Fahrenheit-- can cause both these results. The lack of heat prevents steam pressure from forcing the grease out of your food, and also allows water out of the food without completely vaporizing, carrying dissolved junk into the oil.

So I checked it with a thermometer and lo and behold, with nothing but the oil inside it, it only gets up to 340 degrees when I set it to 400. It sits around 250 (!!!) after about thirty minutes frying potatoes, and they aren't even from frozen. It's must just not be putting out enough heat to replace the energy lost from vaporizing the water in the food.

I've tried a couple of other fryers (one cheapo presto thing and a T-Fal that cost me about $180) and I wasn't happy. As cleaning these things out, packing them back up and returning them to Amazon over and over again is a chore, I thought I'd ask for an opinion from someone who really knows what they're talking about.

I'd be willing to spend 200-300 bucks for a fryer that actually works, if anyone knows any.

What surprises me is how all these fryers get so many five star reviews on Amazon. It kind of indicates to me that most people are ignorant. I think they don't know what fried food is supposed to be like, and there's no way they're actually verifying the temperature of their oil.

Thanks
>>
>>7247621
Oh yeah, I prefer frying in lard, if that impacts your recommendations any.
>>
>>7247621
unless you are dropping a grand, you are better off with a large pot and a gas range.
>>
>>7247644
Pretty much this. Get a cast iron dutch oven and a thermometer.
>>
>>7247658
>>7247644
That's what I was afraid of.

I've been told third degree burns hurt.
>>
>>7247667
2nd degree hurt
3rd degree you cant feel
>>
>>7247680
Getting your arm cut off still hurts even though you can't feel the arm anymore.
>>
>>7247696
not always
>>
>>7247710
OK fine if you want to be pedantic about it:

The tissue around the periphery of third degree burns hurts.

It was a sarcastic off-the-cuff remark anyway. If you think you're smart for pointing out that third degree burns don't have sensation, and you >>7247705 for mentioning ghost limbs, you're a couple of Dunning–Krugers. It's a fucking major injury-- it causes pain regardless.
>>
>>7247734
You would have to be severely incompetent to get a 3rd degree burn while deep frying at home in a pot. get a locking spatter guard if you're really that scared of falling in arm first
>>
Dont be a fag OP and just use a wok for deep frying, $30 for a good one.

Also say goodbye to your penis becauase if soon enough you want be seeing it anymore without a bit of effort
>>
>>7247624

I see it didn't get up there any way, but I just want to point out lard starts decomposing at 375 degrees. Not the perfect substance for high temperature frying.

Professional fryers have 3 kW for 10 liters of oil, 1800 W should be enough for 3L. I think it just has a fucked controller.

You could DIY and put a PID controller on a cheap immersion fryer. Can get a PID controller, SSR and K type thermocouple for 16$ delivered.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-09-16-29-55.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-09-16-29-55.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>>7247621
I had typed out a long response, then I changed my mind.
Keep in mind I fry once a week.
Your whole statement is bullshit.
I have had the exact same fryer for nearly a year and the max temp setting is 375, NOT 400.
Also, why the hell are you testing the temp when it has a built in thermometer? Or maybe you didn't wait for the blatant beeping noise and green light to go off when the correct temp has been reached?
I will admit, I have not used a separate therm to check the temp, but why would I when I have not had any reason to...
Pic related. I actually own the thing.

It is better than the previous fryers I've owned, especially for the price. It's not the best at getting back up to temp quickly when overloaded with cold food, but again, It's just as easy as not overloading it.
Plus, don't fry frozen food. Prep shit yourself and fry from room temp or fridge temp.
>>
>>7247705
>Dunning--Krugers
I believe that you have this reversed.
>>
>>7249962
>I just want to point out lard starts decomposing at 375 degrees
It depends on the process used to render it. Wet rendered lard can have a smoke point as high as 410 degrees.
>>
>>7250155
> why the hell are you testing the temp when it has a built in thermometer?
Because I wasn't having good results with it. Read the post.
>>
>>7250225
The clearest indication to me that you're the stupid one is that your response is crafted to show how smart you are, and not to actually contribute to the discussion.
>>
Can the oil catch fire if you heat it up too hot?
>>
>>7250866
Probably not with an electric one.
>>
>>7250866
Yes. Quite spectacularly. The only way to put it out is to throw lots of water on it.
>>
I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ

...comes with burner, pot, fry basket*, and thermometer. I don't use the fry basket and bought a spider instead. You need propane, obviously.

If you want to heat oil quickly, and have quick heat recovery, this is the way to go. Just have to monitor the temperatures and use good sense.

Any splatter goes out into the yard.

I'll never buy electric or cook on the stove again.

*Fry basket didn't fit into the pot evenly. I could probably bend it with some pliers and get it to work, but I never wanted it to begin with. Spider is sooo much nicer.
>>
>>7250917
This looks really good for if you cook in bulk then freeze it. Looks like it takes a ton of oil though.
>>
>>7250892
:^)
>>
>>7250917

Woah, 50+ kW ... that will heat it (back) up a bit quicker yeah. I like how they link elbow length safety gloves.
>>
File: 1435067874668.jpg (135 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1435067874668.jpg
135 KB, 736x736
thanks for the thread OP. i am in the market for the same, and would geek as much as you about getting the right one.

While we wait for someone with real experience contributes, can you share where you found a source of good lard? I make my own from leaf and back pig lard from my organic pig farmer, but its 3$/lb with an 80% yield. expensive to keep a fryer fed at those prices
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.