[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kinds of lettuce do you buy /ck/? Right now romaine makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: lettuce-varieties-01.jpg (126 KB, 480x634) Image search: [Google]
lettuce-varieties-01.jpg
126 KB, 480x634
What kinds of lettuce do you buy /ck/? Right now romaine makes me pretty wet but I like it all, even iceberg. Romaine just has that nice bitter lettuce flavor but it isn't overpowering. And the crunchy hearts are the best part. And you? Also I'm interested in mixing different varieties of lettuce, sometimes I do a 50/50 blend of romaine and iceberg for dinner salads but would like some other suggestions.
>>
>>7247572
Usually romaine, sometimes green or red leaf if it's on sale.

I also regularly get other greens too: baby spinach, arugula, baby kale, stuff like that.
>>
>>7247572

more of a spinach/chard man myself
>>
File: butter.jpg (545 KB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
butter.jpg
545 KB, 5184x3456
>>7247572
Butter lettuce for sandwiches, romaine for salads.
>>
Kill yourself
>>
>>7247592
>>7247597
>>7247602
How much is a bundle of leaf lettuces where you live? I'm paying around $2.50 for a bundle of green leaf, red leaf, romaine, and kale. Iceberg is cheaper. There are slight differences in price but they all hover around $2.50
>>
>>7247572
My staples are romaine, red leaf, and iceberg, but I love buying curly green leaf, gem, and butter lettuce sometimes too. Other greens I buy regularly are spinach and escarole. I fucking love escarole.
OP, you said you liked the bitter taste of romaine, you should get some escarole and add some to your salad mix. It's so pleasantly bitter.
>>
>>7247622
Depends on the season and what they get in stock at the store really.

Last week they had green and red leaf lettuce on sale for $1 or $1.50 I think. But it's usually around $2 or so. Romaine is usually around the same price too. Kale is usually about $1/bunch but sometimes goes up to $2-2.50, same with other greens like mustard, collards, chard, etc.

No idea what iceberg costs, I never buy it.
>>
>>7247622
Butter lettuce is 4 CAD here. Decent size plant.
>>
>>7247622

i shop at the pretentious top-tier local grocery chain in seattle

2.50 per bundle for kale and chard, which arent huge but arent small

loose leaf spinach is 8 a pound, but its some local grower or something, you can get the earthbound shit for about the price fred meyers sells it

this is memeganic

i dont buy lettuce there so idk that specifically
>>
Mostly Endive and Romaine, occasionally Radicchio. I love the light bitter, light sweet taste of Endive, I find it goes nicely with pretty much everything. Can be used cooked too, cod or other white fish sauteed with halved Endives, a splash of white wine and cream is a favorite dish of mine, quick, easy and so good.
>>
>>7247572
Varies quite a bit. Usually have a bit of green leaf lettuce around for basic sandwiches and shit, but on top of that I'll usually have a mix of a bunch of other stuff I either buy or grow. Radicchio, escarole, baby gem, oak leaf lettuce, upland cress, arugula, mizuna, tatsoi, mache, baby chard, baby spinach, french sorrel, purslane, miner's lettuce, mustard greens, beet greens... lots of stuff. Mache, miner's lettuce, and french sorrel are probably my favorites right now.
>>
File: Le Caesar.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Le Caesar.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
I like most types of lettuce, but boston/bibb/butter is all overrated as fuck.

I usually stick with romaine. I like to do a grilled caesar, or even put it on a pizza.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.