[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I bake a bunch of baked potatoes one day, eat one, then throw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: DSC_0016-002.jpg (197 KB, 750x576) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0016-002.jpg
197 KB, 750x576
Can I bake a bunch of baked potatoes one day, eat one, then throw the rest in the fridge and eat them as the week goes on?
>>
Who's stopping you? You're a grown man, do what you want.
>>
>>7247309
Yes.
>>
Sure, but why not bake the potato fresh daily?
>>
I did this once, and they develop a weird flavor. Impossible to describe, because it's exclusive to potatoes. Maybe you'll have better luck.
>>
>>7247342
Takes too long, which is why I'm wondering if I can bake a batch every week then just microwave em as the week goes along.
>>
>>7247388
If you're going to microwave them anyway, why not just make a fresh one every day in the microwave?
>>
>>7247385
I remember a Julia Child show on potatoes, and she said something like cool them down after cooking to avoid their developing a weird flavor. (Maybe it was some other tip to avoid a weird flavor?) At any rate, I've never noticed a weird flavor with leftover potatoes. I usually steam a 8 or 10 at a time, or more if they're smaller poatoes (I steam any type). Definitely not the same texture as when they're freshly cooked, but they work great for all sorts of things: potato salad, fried potatoes (hash browns), diced into a soup, just microwaved and eaten plain, or whatever. Maybe it's pleb, but meh, it's time-efficient. I've read cookbooks that suggest different types of potatoes as better suited for different purposes (yukon gold for potato salad, etc.), but for non-autists, they're all pretty interchangeable.
>>
>>7247392
You can make baked potatoes in the microwave? That doesn't sound very good
>>
>>7247427
It comes out pretty much exactly the same. Just stick it in there for like 10 minutes and check it. It's not bread or something, it's not going to get tough, it's a potato.
>>
>>7247437
The skin gets dry/crispy in a normal oven, and stays moist in a microwave oven, and I find the inside is mushier with a microwave (probably fixable if you get the microwave power setting/duration right), but yeah a microwaved potato can be fine.
>>
>>7247309
Once refrigerated, baked potatoes taste better cold than they do reheated.

And they do taste pretty good cold, with a bit of salt, as long as you cooked them nicely in the first place.
>>
>>7247529
I you prick the skin a few times with a fork before you microwave it, it cooks well.
>>
>>7247529
You can crisp the skin in the microwave if you just remove it a little early and unwrap it then put it back in. I usually throw it in the toaster oven to melt some cheese on top because if you have time to eat a baked potato you at least have time to do that.
>>
>>7247529
Oh I wrap mine in foil when I do it in the oven anyway, so it doesn't get crispy regardless. I just prefer it that way. But yes it is a bit mushier in the microwave I guess, doesn't really bother me though. Usually if I'm eating a baked potato I'm just being a lazy fuck anyway.
>>
>>7247437
>the same
There's either something wrong with your potato baking or something wrong with my microwaving. They end up like steamed or boiled potatoes for me.
>>
>>7247542
First of all I've only done it exactly two times. I did it because I did not give a fuck, and didn't want to wait an hour for my potato. For that purpose, it's fine. If every meal is a sacred newborn child to you, then whatever dude I hope they're good at least.
>>
>>7247556
Woah. Chill out. I wasn't even criticizing a single thing.
>>
>>7247529
Damn, this sounds like my ideal baked potato. I've been fussing with foil and buttering the outside, desperately trying not to get it all dry and terrible in the oven.
>>
>>7247565
I will fucking end you and your entire family.
>>
>>7247542

Your microwave is retarded. No they don't come out as good as in the oven but they're close enough. Certainly better than reheated baked potatoes.
>>
cook them in a pressure cooker. Potatoes sliced in half take about 15 minutes to cook in a pc in a steamer basket.
>>
Yeah.

I frequently throw 3-4 potatoes in the microwave and eat one each day, cold, slathered in mayo and whichever hot sauce I'm in the mood for.

(It's pretty much the same as making potato salad.)
>>
microwave them covered then bake them. cuts the time it takes drastically and you still get crispy skin
>>
>>7247419
That weird flavor is oxidation. It's caused by moisture and prolonged heat. Store them dry and cool them quickly.
>>
>>7247776
What do you eat with that?
>>
File: pizza 2.7.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
pizza 2.7.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>7247843

It's more of a snack/small meal.

In pic related I had one while cooking a pizza, and ate it with a couple pickle slices and some pimento stuffed olives.
>>
>>7247860
Why the fuck do you keep posting this crap?
>>
>>7247875
You mean homemade food on a cooking imageboard?
>>
>>7247427
It won't be any worse than a baked potato that's been reheated in the microwave
>>
>>7247875

What's your problem?
>>
>>7247878
Was it you posting one of your pizzas in every thread, or someone else?
>>
>>7247883
I haven't seen it in any other threads, but then I haven't been in a lot of other threads so whatever.

What's wrong with his food?
>>
>>7247887
One of his pizzas was posted in every thread even vaguely related to pizza for about a whole week.
>>
>>7247883

Not the person you replied to, but that was just a picture of a microwaved potato, served cold with mayo and hot sauce.
>>
File: proof.png (231 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
proof.png
231 KB, 1280x1024
>>7247897
Don't bullshit me. He posted a pizza.
>>
>>7247875

It's honestly much better than having to look at disgusting jack shit, reposted to the point where you can't pull up /ck/ at any time of the day without seeing his ugly face on the first page.
>>
>>7247904

>has to google both hotdish and fucking soup
>thinks he can recognize a pizza

How did you manage to get through all those food recaptchas?
>>
File: Безымянный2.png (593 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Безымянный2.png
593 KB, 1280x1024
>>7247914
The captchas are in Russian, my friend.
>>
>>7247309
Who cares? Baked potatoes suck
>>
>>7247928

Why don't I ever see you posting in fast food threads, or picky eater threads, or family/roommate rant threads?

This is a thread about a food that some people make for themselves, and sometimes enjoy. If you're going to say nobody cares, direct it at people who don't enjoy food and cooking.
>>
I just learned that eating cold cooked potatoes lowers your risk of cancer when combined with red meat.
This thread inspired that journey of discovery.

Source://www.sciencealert.com/eating-bananas-whole-wheat-or-cold-potatoes-helps-counter-the-cancerous-effects-of-red-meat
>>
>>7247937
Baked potatoes aren't good
>>
>>7247980
Of course they are. You're just a goober
>>
You could cook twice baked potatoes I think they taste better
>>
>>7247986
It's the worst way to prepare a potato. Especially when you do the "loaded" thing.
>>
>>7248005
But do they taste twice as good?
>>
>>7248020
not that guy but fuck yeah. love twice baked potatoes.
>>
pre-baked potatoes are good because you can dice em up and brown them in some oil for breakfast tacos

not as good as fresh fried but way quicker
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.