[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there so many hipster involved in food-based businesses now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 14817322540_73a31ffa52_b.jpg (303 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
14817322540_73a31ffa52_b.jpg
303 KB, 1024x768
Why are there so many hipster involved in food-based businesses now?
>>
>>7246287
They were always hipsters, there's just better clothes they can wear to identify themselves now.
>>
It's all Food Networks's fault. They popularized the food truck and B&M eateries with scenes and images of faggot hipsters running them. Now all the hipsters flocked to the food industry to create the next "Oh, you've never heard of it? I was doing this before anyone else" food which will gain attention and then once more appear on Food Network.

It's a vicious cycle.
>>
>>7246349
where did the faggots and hipsters come from in the first place?

food service has always attracted outsider types like that.
>>
It's true, and I don't see it changing anytime soon (at least in America). I left the restaurant industry for software development. I'm far too conservative for that culture. Imagine if tumblr opened a business and that's what you have to look forward to in a career of cooking. It far less resembles a service industry and seems to have more and more in common with entertainment/show business. Even in my tiny city, executive chefs are expected to take on the role of local celebrities/personalities. Reality television changed everything. I'm seeing people I used to work with on the local morning shows and popping up in social media. It is the "early access" and "DLC" equivalent of gaming. Truly a cancer. Long gone are the days of cooking being a respectable craft. You have to sell your soul to get by these days.

If your passion is creating a quality product for your customers, then a career in programming might be for you. I really love making tools that people can use to make their lives easier.

>>7246335
Mind=blown
>>
I usually hate these buzzfeedy lolhipster videos but this one was pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR5pj1BccKU
>>
>>7246376
love how you talk shit about food service being full of hipsters and how you left it for the more "conservative" programming field. i actually laughed out loud at the notion of you considering the sjw wasteland that is programming to be more conservative than food service.
>>
Hipsters have always been around, they just dress different now and have a trendy name. It's basically just young white people who live in poverty.
>>
>>7246376
Frame of reference: Online communities, video games, reality television.

Holy fuck man.
>>
>>7246287
They picked shit college degrees and couldn't find work anywhere else.
>>
>>7246448
Mostly this, and people always need a trendy place to eat.
>>
File: chang.gif (1 MB, 360x354) Image search: [Google]
chang.gif
1 MB, 360x354
>>7246376
>left the restaurant industry for software development
>>
>>7246349
Beat me to it.

I think this is just half of the answer though, with the other half being that hipsters are usually effeminate, and cooking is still sort of seen as "feminine" but also is quickly being seen as a more masculine skill too - what I'm saying is that hipsters sort of look at cooking as a sign of masculinity in the way that you see some hipsters act like "men" by wearing flannel and having huge beards despite them probably not being able to lift a quarter of their own body weight. To them it's sort of like a fashionable parody that might get them laid since women like men who can cook (met with the lowered expectations of good cooking since a ton of young women can't cook now, and half of us are from single parent households where there was barely any strenuous cooking while growing up).
>>
Realistically?

An internet age has made it much easier to be "that gimmick place" rather than building a reliable local clientele. If your gimmick is absurd enough to spread through word-of-mouth, hipsters will go out of their way to eat your stuff, and thus the business model becomes viable.
>>
>>7246287
Because rock and roll is no longer as cool as it used to be, so chefs have become the new rockstars. Fifteen years ago these guys would have been handing out fliers for their band's next gig - "we sound like Pavement meets Modest Mouse." Today they want to be David Chang or Andy Ricker.
>>
>>7246399
Maybe if you work at a startup.

Enterprise development is by no means a "SJW wasteland". Recall the culture of Microsoft and IBM in the 80s, if you're even old enough to. Both the company I work for and our clients are predominantly white and male. We will hire a native English speaker who can move into one of our empty offices before we ever outsource or hire someone who wants to work from home. Even if they will accept the job for way below the current payscale. We've got guys who have worked here for more than half their lives. They are very big on building their company around their workers, and sharing the stake of the company. Most of these guys are going to retire multi-millionaires.
>>
File: 1.jpg (51 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
51 KB, 500x625
>>7246287
Culinary arts is probably the easiest type of art to fake, but still make a lot of money while faking it.
>>
>>7246353
Who?
>>
>>7246413
this
>>
>>7246564
Not that guy, but most of the larger "new" tech companies are also still largely male outside of marketing and HR and stuff like that.

It's a neckbeard fantasy that SJW feminazis are why they can't progress in their careers. In reality the reason they are not progressing is because they have no skills, much like the token females that were hired for the CEO's diversity initiative that weren't all that good but nobody cared about anything other than the fact that they had a vagina and their resume said they could write PHP.
>>
I don't know but they make good food in my experience.
>>
>>7247675
Hipsters don't gentrify neighborhoods, they usually don't live in good neighborhoods. They'll set up gimmicky food trucks and bars in transitional overpriced areas and the locals overpay out the ass to have hot dogs and waffles handed to them by a white dude. Hipsters are basically college educated moderately intelligent whites who chose a shit degree and can't find a decent job. So they work as baristas, food truckers, and Whole Foods employees.
>>
Creative people tend to want to LOOK the part as well. Just human nature, most people want to fit in with some crowd, whether they admit it or not.
>>
Because you can take a thing people have done, literally forever, stick the word "artisan" in front of it, post some artsy photos on Instagram and make a shitzillion dollars.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.