[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is food poptimism an actual thing, /ck/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Capture.png (15 KB, 600x320) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15 KB, 600x320
Is food poptimism an actual thing, /ck/?
>>
what's poptimism?
>>
>>7246201
Jody Rosen, a contributor for U.S. culture magazine Slate.com, noted the growing backlash against rock's traditional critical acclaim and the emergence of a new ideology, popism.

"There is a name for this new critical paradigm, 'popism'—or, more evocatively (and goofily), 'poptimism'—and it sets the old assumptions on their ear: Pop (and, especially, hip-hop) producers are as important as rock auteurs, Beyoncé is as worthy of serious consideration as Bruce Springsteen, and ascribing shame to pop pleasure is itself a shameful act."
In the same article, he also alludes to possible excesses of the new movement, warning that a hierarchy of music biased toward pop is no better than one biased toward rock because both genres have respectable qualities that cannot be ignored.
>>
>>7246196
Anything can be a meme on /ck/ if you force it hard enough.
>>
>>7246201
Liking mainstream pop to seem more cultured and sophisticated. It sounds dumb I know.

What's the food world equivalent of that?
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poptimism
What do we have to do with musical critics?

For food would it be that other nationalities deserve the same respect as say, French?

The answer is a resounding no. Food elitism is far more prevalent on /ck/, and rampant denial of the same elitism.
>>
>>7246201
>The major tenets of poptimism are that pop music deserves the same respect as rock music and is as authentic and as worthy of.....

Basically it's "stop disliking what I like" and it's kind of pathetic.
>>
File: spoon.jpg (1 KB, 129x90) Image search: [Google]
spoon.jpg
1 KB, 129x90
>>7246207
like spoons?
>>
>>7246211
Actually eating fast food in big chains and claiming it's good gastronomy
>>
>>7246214
I have to kind of agree with it. Discounting entire genres (or in /ck/ it would be nationalities) is silly and close minded. It basically sweeps large and varied resources under the table with the banner of generalization.
>>
>>7246224
what are the most discounted Nationalies on /ck/ in terms of food?
>>
File: yellowspork.jpg (65 KB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
yellowspork.jpg
65 KB, 1100x1100
>>7246215
>not sporks
>>
>>7246228
It's a meme to say the USA has made no contributions to food, same as the meme to say the USA doesn't produce any media/invented nothing/has no culture/etc.

I see mexican thrown around a lot.

African food as well, but mostly because a lot of people haven't actually tried Kenyan/Ethiopian/Egyptian food (it's not very common in the USA, where most users are from whether they'll admit it or not).

Middle eastern food as well.

Vietnamese and other southern asian counties.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.
>>
>>7246228
British
Indian

Hang on, let me make this easier: anything that isn't something from an American fast food chain.
>>
>>7246239
>Middle eastern food
that's retarded how can they not like it
>>7246239
>>7246242
What does /ck/ think about korean food
>>
>>7246250
Personally I like Korean food. If I were to rank it however it still wouldn't be in my top 5, that's a crowded lot.
>>
>>7246234

>sporks

Literally the food equivalent of shoes with velcro straps; they're practical, but you don't want to have to look at the people who use them, who in both cases they can barely touch their feet.
>>
>>7246224
How much rock music do you have to listen to before you're allowed to with some degree of certainty say that you don't like rock music? Come on, that's insane.

I'm not nearly as selective with food as I am with music, but I don't belittle the picky eaters, I couldn't possibly care less what other people DON'T like most of the time, it just doesn't matter, and it's really sad the extent to which some people will go to feel validated, making up some dumb word to represent how unfair everyone is being towards their weird industrial noise technojazz.
>>
>>7246264
>How much rock music do you have to listen to before you're allowed to with some degree of certainty say that you don't like rock music?

Generally it isn't a set amount because hell, you'll never know if there is a band of that genre you'll find a love. It's more of an adamant denial of the genre when it gets brought up. I've seen people approach music/food/etc. with anger when something they've perceived as a "lesser" category gets brought up.
>>
>>7246267
Are you sure you aren't mistaking "fucking weeb" for genuine anger?
>>
>>7246206
This is definitely true in the music world. It used to be that people who took music seriously looked down their noses at pop. Now we have Ryan Adams lovingly covering a Taylor Swift album without a trace of irony.

I only know the NYC food scene, but it's been happening here for a decade. Upscale versions of very pedestrian foods have been incredibly popular: pizza, ramen, tacos, burgers. McDonald's isn't exactly in vogue, but people line up for burgers at Shake Shack and fried chicken sandwiches at Fuku. People pay big dollars for pizza at Marta and tacos at Cosme. Burgers are on the menus of many Michelin starred joints. Hell, you can get Michelin starred chicken chicken wings at Pok Pok.

It's kinda fun, but it's made me much less likely to go out for fine dining, because upscale versions of pedestrian foods aren't that interesting to me when I already know where to get great pedestrian examples of the same foods for one third the price (or less).
>>
File: memtano.png (322 KB, 539x289) Image search: [Google]
memtano.png
322 KB, 539x289
>>7246211
>>7246213
>>7246214
we /mu/ now
>>
>>7246608
It's no surprise. Now that being a chef is considered cooler than being a rockstar the same kinds of trends we see in the music industry are being reflected in restaurants.
>>
>>7246655
I don't think so... Likening fast food to pop music is because of the way they are produced, generic assembly-line and preproduced
But at the same time while I'd like to say fast food isn't that popular or isn't preferred... Regardless of their falling sales, there's tens of millions of americans who buy their slop every day, who can say if they'd prefer anything else

Also I can't name a chef more famous than a rockstar, unless you go by brand like Ronald Mcdonald
>>
>>7247484
But every up and coming pop/rock star has it in his/her head how they'll be different, just like every aspiring chef wants to turn out their own spin on whatever dishes are popular at the moment. It's really not all that different.
>Also I can't name a chef more famous than a rockstar, unless you go by brand like Ronald Mcdonald
My guess is more people under 25 years old would recognize a picture of Gordon Ramsay quicker than they would Springsteen, Dylan, AC/DC, the Eagles, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Nirvana. the Strokes, Radiohead, Coldplay or even U2.
>>
>>7247581
I'm 42 and I have no idea what any of those people look like except Dylan, Curt Cobain because he was on every single magazine cover for like a year, and U2 because the faggot is a massive attention whore.
>>
>>7247581
That might be because Gordon Ramsay is still sort of relevant.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.