[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else fell for the whole bean meme? Moving from drip machine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11
File: 20160107_092628.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160107_092628.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Who else fell for the whole bean meme?
Moving from drip machine to french press was a nice change.
Grinding your own coffee immediately before brewing is a meme, and offers no real improvement in taste or texture over other preground arabica coffees. Don't fall for the whole bean meme.

Also coffee thread.
>>
Terrible bait, OP.
>>
>>7244372
Honestly didn't find a noticeable difference myself.
>>
>>7244372
>Grinding your own coffee immediately before brewing is a meme, and offers no real improvement in taste or texture over other preground arabica coffees.
>Uses a blade grinder.

Obvious b8.
>>
>>7244372
honestly when your roast is dark it doesnt matter how old the beans are or if they are preground or not.

However if you actually like the taste of coffee and not just """Roast character""" then whole bean is the way to go.
>>
>>7244385
>you need manual burr grinder to enjoy coffee
>>
>>7246551
Burr yes, manual no.

Also freshness is a big component.
>>
>>7244372

>No real improvement in taste
>>
You have been using a blade grinder. You have NO right to an opinion on this matter.
>>
>>7246962
>he fell for the burr grinder meme
>he fell for the whole bean meme

You have NO right to an opinion on coffee, tbqh.
>>
File: cuisinart grinder.jpg (203 KB, 518x700) Image search: [Google]
cuisinart grinder.jpg
203 KB, 518x700
>>7244372
This is either terrible bait, or you're an idiot.

I just use a plain old drip machine, and the taste of my coffee is VERY noticeably better when I grind my beans fresh. Much smoother and better flavor by far.
IDK if the type of grinder you use affects it, but I use a Cuisinart burr grinder model (pic is it), and it works beautifully and I wouldn't trade it for anything, it's made my coffee worth drinking again.
>>
File: NCF-30100-2.jpg (309 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
NCF-30100-2.jpg
309 KB, 1600x1600
>>7244372
>drinking coffee for taste
Nigger, I'm a busy man and don't have time to brew coffee... instant coffee is just as good as any other coffee
>>
Hi, I'm OP! I buy stale fucking three years-old back of the shelf beans from my local Wally World! I bought them just so I could make a thread on my favorite board, /ck/, about how dumb those fucking cretins are! And boy was I right, these old fucking beans sure don't taste better than the three year old warehouse beans in my pre-ground bag!! Well, off to school some more idiots, I have shopping to do. Lates!
>>
>>7247121
Wow. Bait in response to bait, mixed amongst other bait. This thread is full of masters baiting.
>>
>>7244372
You must have ignored "freshly roasted" part of the meme.

Also,
>blade grinder
Yep, you're slow.
>>
coffee is a meme
>>
In case this is not bait and for those wondering why everyone's hating on OP's grinder: blade grinders, especially cheap ones like this, rotate very quickly and thus get very hot, burning the coffee and unevenly grinding it down
>>
File: awoo~.png (762 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
awoo~.png
762 KB, 1000x1000
>>7248710
>burning the coffee
>i need to justify my dumbass coffee habits so i'm going to make shit up to feel better

thanks for the laugh m8
>>
>>7248710
adequate grind can be achieved with a blade grinder if you pulse, though coarse grinds for a french press are always going to be more difficult than medium grinds for a pour-over.

And OP, given that two identical bags of coffee, both fresh, one pre-ground, one whole bean are compared side by side, the very first cup of whole bean will only have a slight taste advantage. The next day the advantage will be greater. Within 3 days the difference will be remarkable. The greater surface area of pre-ground simply makes it more susceptible to oxidation. It goes stale faster. Am I the only person who actually tests these "memes" out himself?
>>
>>7244372
>Meme: an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>7247107
I doubt he's bating, just doesn't fall into the whole hipster coffee circlejerk.

Is fresh ground better? Yes.....

How much better is it? Like 5% at best if would be possible to quantify w/ numbers
>>
Where do I find whole bean coffee?
My local stores don't sell it anymore since they cleared their shelves to make room for kcups.
In fact, the entire coffee aisle is literally just kcups, folgers, yuban and instant.
>>
>>7248776
Whereabouts do you live?
>>
>>7248811
suburbs near la
>>
>>7248815
Lotta grocery stores there? Got a car? If I were you I'd either go a bit further to a better stocked grocery store, or start trying out bags of coffee from local roasters. Next best might be chain coffee shops like Peet's, Caribou, or Starbucks (the "blond" roasts like Veranda aren't bad), or even Dunkin Donuts. You're hardly in the middle of nowhere, but I have been before, and find the whole bean original roast at Dunkin Donuts to be consistently decent.
>>
>>7248776
Fucking Kcups. Polluting the planet further in the name of shitty stale coffee. I would order from Happy Mug and do what the other anon said and look for a not-completely-charcoal roast at your nearest Starbucks. Dunkin Donuts is piss water though.
>>
File: palm.jpg (2 KB, 136x91) Image search: [Google]
palm.jpg
2 KB, 136x91
It would be nice if you /ck/ faggots could learn to use the term "meme" in the correct context.
You embarrass the whole site making it an easy target for reddit cretins.
You're fucking cancer to 4Chan, /ck/.
>also learn to cook you fucking degenerates.
>>
>>7244372
>Grinding your own coffee immediately before brewing is a meme, and offers no real improvement in taste or texture over other preground arabica coffees. Don't fall for the whole bean meme.
IF this is your experience with no difference? Then, I'm going to suggest your water is utter crap, or your beans are either very good or very bad to begin with, or else very dark roast.

People who have a local roaster (or have it shipped) will notice a nice difference from whatever packaged store available choices they can find. And, well, the location of those beans agriculturally, and personal preference to roast.

I like a french press for my more expensive and single one or two cup treats, or no refills, but I don't like how quick it cools down. I prefer my insulated electric percolator for a houseful of guests. If I was an even earlier riser, I'd be quite happy with a timer and night ahead setup. I had a krups years ago with bean hopper/grinder and drip with timer for when I wanted to set it up for my spouse to have readymade fresh coffee long after I left the house each morning.
>>
>>7249107
>You embarrass the whole site
That's cute. Look how new this faggot is.
>>
>>7248815
>suburbs near la
Those single estate rotating monthly special premium coffees you can get from any Starbucks might make you happy (from the store or online). Target has a selection of Archer Farms coffees from regional sources as well and quite regular sales. The major brands offer blends as much as the others too. Just keep trying different things.

Filter your water through a Brita or something, but make sure it's fresh. Be careful with the french press if you can't grind it coarser yourself (or use a store grinder that has adjustable levels), because the fine metal mesh isn't that fine really.
>>
>>7249112
You'd never know, anon.
>>
>>7249119
Archer farms is store brand. Not saying anything about the quality, but it is target brand and a lot of their shit isn't as good as the premium package and price would lead you to believe. It definitely isn't bad though.
>>
>>7247121
Instant coffee tastes like shit 99% of the time, literally just use it as a source of caffeine. Though I must say tasters choice is actually enjoyable "coffee"
>>
>>7249131
>Archer farms is store brand. Not saying anything about the quality, but it is target brand and a lot of their shit isn't as good as the premium package and price would lead you to believe. It definitely isn't bad though.
Oh please, a store brand does not equal low quality generics anymore. Get over your mistrust. Read labels.
>>
File: 220px-PoorWhiteTrash.jpg (22 KB, 220x314) Image search: [Google]
220px-PoorWhiteTrash.jpg
22 KB, 220x314
>>7249119
>archer farms anything
>actually putting that in your body
>>
>2016
>drinking coffee
>having no respect for your health

Enjoy your hypertension and sleep problems.
>>
>>7249264
>store brand anything
it's like you hate your life
>>
File: green-tea.jpg (62 KB, 999x729) Image search: [Google]
green-tea.jpg
62 KB, 999x729
>>7244372

I used to do grinding recently roasted beans in the French press exclusively until I realized that it all began to taste the same and I didn't appreciate it. Coffee definitely suffers from diminishing returns.

Now I drink shitty preground coffee (my dad works for a big distributor so I get unlimted free mediocre coffee that goes to hotels and chain restaurants) and once a month or so have a good cup at home or out and it is absolutely incredible.
>>
>>7247121
I started growing tits a few years ago (I'm a dude)
Went to 4 different doctors before one asked me if I drank instant coffee
At the time I did, quite a lot
He told me to stop and the tits went away
>>
It really depends on the type of bean and roast to notice a different between freshly ground and preground
>>
>>7244372
As someone who knows more than you I can tell you, you are wrong. I know I am wasting my time as you won't listen to me so I won't explain why you're wrong.

>>7246551
>you need to use proper equipment to make decent coffee

>>7247121
What about caffeine content than?

>>7248759
>adequate grind can be achieved with a blade grinder if you pulse, though coarse grinds for a french press are always going to be more difficult than medium grinds for a pour-over.

Still a dramatically uneven grind size no matter the grind.

>>7248776
Buy online 100%. Otherwise buy from your local roaster. If you're desperate buy from a good cafe. It'll be way too expensive and espresso roast though.

If you are interested or just want to save a lot of money get into home roasting. Find a second hand 1250w+ popcorn maker, throw some green beans in and watch magic happen. Stop the roasting process after first crack, which is very easy to do since it's instantly audible.

I use a bread maker and heat gun which won't kill your popcorn maker and gives you a more even roast. Here I am roasting coffee at home (not very consistent as I used to many greens and didn't measure): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-O7Hivb0kQ

>>7251317
What about buying beans and grinding your coffee in bulk (at a very course grind)?
>>
File: 12.jpg (538 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
538 KB, 720x1280
>>7251728
My setup for reference.
>>
>>7248769
There's nothing about me that's "hipster", but fresh ground beans (and I mean fresh ground right before brewing) does make a distinctive difference, even with a drip machine. If you can't tell, you must have defective tastebuds.
>>
>>7248759
You cannot get a consistent particle size with a blade grinder. Period.
>>
>>7249264
Do you get what he is saying?
Archer Farms is Target's premium brand as opposed to Market Pantry. Even as a premium-priced product, Archer Farms is sometimes mediocre.
>>
>>7248764
Getaloadofthisnewfag.png
>>
>>7248764
He's saying that the idea "you should use whole beans for better tasting coffee" has memetically spread for reasons other than actually being true.
>>
>>7251793
Name a single benefit for having uniform particle size.
>muh even extraction
>e-enjoy your black mud in your cup!!

i swear, sometimes it seems like most advice on this board is pushed around by people suffering from post-purchase rationalization
>>
>>7251827
what really gets me is that lots of the "sources" for this sort of information are forum posts perpetuated by companies as proper brew method to make coffee seem more complex than it really is
>>
File: Mlynek.jpg (49 KB, 444x516) Image search: [Google]
Mlynek.jpg
49 KB, 444x516
>>7251827
You literally answered your own question and you're still completely lacking in common sense.

>post-purchase rationalization
Pick one of these up from anywhere for less than a blade grinder and taste the difference. Got a mortar and pestle? Use that. Simple.

Blade grinders are NOT made for coffee.

>but y do they say so on the box????
Because they can get away with it and misinformed people will still buy them for that purpose.

Why use the wrong tool on purpose?
Do you not think people on this board have tasted the difference between a blade and burr grinder?

You really are just being willfully ignorant. No one except the grinder companies themselves have anything to gain by giving you the correct information.

I may not be a total expert in coffee but I have spoken with many, many people are and the verdict is unanimous.

But like I say I have nothing to gain so make coffee however you want if you're truly set in your ways.
>>
>>7251875
>Pick one of these up from anywhere for less than a blade grinder
I bought a blade grinder for $10, I doubt that fancy grinder thing costs less than that.
>Got a mortar and pestle?
An electric grinder grinds in 10 seconds, that grinder in your picture would take me 5 minutes of nonstop grinding and a mortar and pestle would easily take 10 minutes.

You sound like a fucking marketer, btw.
>>
>>7251867
>seem more complex than it really is
You do understand that some people are genuinely interested in moving the industry forward and that it's not just a big scam to seem intellectual?

Do you not like coffee at all? Would you prefer if the industry stagnated and we were all still drinking shit coffee from hundreds of years ago?
>>
>>7251885
>I bought a blade grinder for $10, I doubt that fancy grinder thing costs less than that.
They do you fucking idiot look at the picture attached.

>An electric grinder grinds in 10 seconds
>"""and taste the difference"""

lol I give up
>>
>>7251897
Also
>fancy
Jesus Christ these are as bear bones as it gets. They cost PENNIES. More proof you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>7251895
There hasn't been a real innovation in coffee brewing technology in over 100 years, just dumb gimmicks cooked up by people looking to market to dumb urban hipster types.
>>
>>7251906
Oh yeah, what gimmicks?
>>
>>7251912
pretty much everything hario and aeropress make can be considered a gimmick
>>
>>7251925
These are products, not innovations. Only the commercial market matters. Try again.
>>
>>7251930
what's an innovation to you, anon?
>>
File: la-curva-lm-740x500.png (884 KB, 740x500) Image search: [Google]
la-curva-lm-740x500.png
884 KB, 740x500
>>7251932
Dual boiler technology
Pressure profiling
Flow rate adjustment
Grind by weight technology

To name a few. I could definitely go on though.
>>
>>7251945
what the fuck is that thing
>>
>>7251946
http://sprudge.com/la-curva-la-marzoccos-new-concept-lever-espresso-machine-88515.html

Also, http://dailycoffeenews.com/2016/01/04/the-year-in-coffee-gear/
>>
>>7251728
>beans from a good cafe will be overpriced and espresso roast

Then it's not a good cafe, also espresso is not a roast, you really don't know as much as you think you do.
>>
>>7251728
Man, I wish I had the free time to make faggy videos like this about my coffee OCD. Love the gay music, though. Maybe that means I like boipucci?
>>
>>7251902
BEAR BONES?!
Don't be practicing your fucking backwoods voodoo around here, anon.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.