[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Me and some friends are gonna have some scotch and charcuterie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: lmao.jpg (11 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
11 KB, 275x183
Me and some friends are gonna have some scotch and charcuterie this weekend.

What meats, cheeses, and extras should I get?
>>
Fuck, can I come? I was just thinking about how much I wanted some of that.

I think the general suggestion tends to be having mild, younger cheeses with the punchier whiskies like the island ones and aged, sharp cheeses with the lighter ones like the highlands so they contrast. Also to avoid really salty stuff because it can overpower the whisky.

Some bread to clear your palate and a bottle or two of water helps. Supposedly nuts are good with peaty whiskies, maybe peanut brittle if you want to make something yourself. Dark chocolate is nice as a sort of dessert.
>>
File: lmaoao.jpg (71 KB, 413x206) Image search: [Google]
lmaoao.jpg
71 KB, 413x206
>>7240617
We're getting some Islay Scotch like Glenfiddich and Laguvulin. Think one of my bros is bringing Ardberg.

Yea I was thinking come creamy bries for cheese and some gouda since it's smoky. I might have to add some cheddar too.

Should I really avoid salty stuff though? Salami and prosciutto tends to be salty.
>>
>>7240705
I don't remember where I heard the salt recommendation, but I think it was mainly referring to things like pickles and olives in brine where you get a big whack of salt.
>>
File: salmon.gif (51 KB, 426x282) Image search: [Google]
salmon.gif
51 KB, 426x282
>>7240748
Ah for sure. I'm thinking about smoked salmon too. What do you think?
>>
>>7240762
Hell yeah.
>>
File: CY_niles_640x360[1].jpg (122 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
CY_niles_640x360[1].jpg
122 KB, 640x360
Start with the regular charcuterie spread.
After a snifter or two of scotch and perhaps a cigar break out the pièce de résistance, a nice stick of pepperoni to savor seperatley.

Which pepperoni?
Really doesn't matter as long as it is both long and hard. Harder is always better for what you will do next.

Disrobe and expose your salami. If there are no takers (often this is the case initially) request a friend of yours to penetrate you with the pepperoni you were saving for this moment. Then take turns with your friends. Sooner or later once the guests open up everyone will hopefully open wide and by the end of the night have acquired have a taste for the finest meat you can eat with charcuterie, the meat of a man!
>>
>>7240777
This post started out gay, but then it got pretty good.
>>
>>7240777
kek

I'm gonna have some Pliny the Elder there too just in case people aren't feeling up to scotch.
>>
Next time if you plan a little ahead you can try curing something of your own. I just made some duck beast "prosciutto" and it was really easy.
>>
>>7240777
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyu0lAfAFIM
>>
Cheese: Reypenaer VSOP, Brilliat-Savarin, Cabrales.

Meat: anything fatty (aged, obviously), anything smoked

Get yourself some dates, some sort of juicy fruit and some nuts, as well as crusty bread and good butter to nibble on. Don't forget water.

The Ardbeg is going to be very smokey, if your cheeses are at room temperature they should be able to stand up to it. The meat will really go with anything, so you can actually just get whatever. The accoutrement are essential as not to overwhelm the palate with all these bold flavors, the sweetness of the dates works really well with Reypenaer and Cabrales.

I would recommend getting a balanced, slightly sweet Speyside whisky as well, they generally work very well with food.
>>
File: damn yo.jpg (76 KB, 550x554) Image search: [Google]
damn yo.jpg
76 KB, 550x554
>>7241128
Damn these cheeses look so fucking good.

Would dutch crunch be a good bread? Or a sourdough?

I was thinking maybe mangoes or avocado for fruit.
>>
Ho lee shit, does /ck/ really think you can pair scotch (especially islay scotch) with food?

A lighter cheese like brie would taste like nothing, and a stronger cheese like roquefort would just end up tasting like a horrible train wreck when paired with an Ardbeg or Laphroaig. These are strong flavors son, they don't play nice with others.

Get a decent Cabernet Savingion or some aged tawney port to have with the food, then maybe have an espresso and finally enjoy a scotch as the last bit of food or drink of the night.
>>
>>7241529
The only thing scotch pairs with is smoke, as in, a cigar. That's the sort of flavor that can stand up to a strong islay, not all these mild ass cheeses people are suggesting.
>>
>>7240533
Jamon Iberico! Prosciutto di Parma! Now you're speaking my fucking language!

>>7240762
YES! Anything that makes the damn place as bourgeois as possible!

Add a burrata? Or buffalo mozarella? And maybe a comte to round it up. Serve the white wine over the charcuterie like a nice chardonnay, save the scotch as a digestif.

Grapes, carrot sticks and crackers are a great idea too. I see olives there, that's brilliant. Maybe some cherry tomatoes drizzles in olive oil and balsamic vinegar?
>>
File: 1445800818873.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1445800818873.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>7241128
sounds gouda-nuff for me
>>
>>7241529
You should try it.
>>
>>7241566
CHAAARLIEEEEE
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.