[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
vintage culinary catastrophes thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: aspic-pe-blog[1].jpg (604 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
aspic-pe-blog[1].jpg
604 KB, 1600x1200
vintage culinary catastrophes thread
>>
why was everything jellied back then
>>
I used to wear an onion on my belt, that was the style back then
>>
>>7239769
It's a mystery lost in the mists of taste, anon.
>>
>>7239784
did anyone ever like it?

was it ever good?
>>
>>7239769
Because of the war. Everything was always shaking from explosions, and if your food wasn't congealed into a brick of jelly, there is no telling where it might fly off to.
>>
>>7239777
>quoting simpsons wrong

Ree my man
>>
File: an appetizing work of art.jpg (76 KB, 268x800) Image search: [Google]
an appetizing work of art.jpg
76 KB, 268x800
>>
>>7239793
at first I thought that thing was garnished with a cigarette
>>
File: 1445435542349.jpg (536 KB, 894x1041) Image search: [Google]
1445435542349.jpg
536 KB, 894x1041
I love these threads. I had a bunch of these, but I can't find them anymore
>>
File: 34lg.jpg (65 KB, 365x760) Image search: [Google]
34lg.jpg
65 KB, 365x760
>>7239769
retrorecipe.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/my-favorite-present/
>We’ve all wondered what the hell could motivate someone to [prepare, serve, and eat so many gel-based foods] — well, it was simply so they could brag about owning a refrigerator. You can’t solidify gelatin without refrigeration, and so you couldn’t serve Jellied Bouillon with Frankfurters unless you were above a certain income level… So people started jellying vegetables, meats, salads, cream, and pretty much everything in their kitchen.

So basically it was so you could shove your rich bitch status into the face of your neighbors.
>>
>>7239802
If anything it'd help.
>>
File: healthy foods.jpg (160 KB, 724x395) Image search: [Google]
healthy foods.jpg
160 KB, 724x395
>>7239760
Choosing normal, plain-looking foods like bread, cream, white sauce, and aspic keep the body ticking over just nicely!
>>
>>7239805
woah.. fucking weird but it makes a lot of sense

>look how rich i am am
>look how revolting my food can be
>way more revolting than your farm fresh faggotry
>>
>>7239789
Yes it is good. I don't understand the point of these threads, Why does everybody seem to hate aspic here? Have you ever made it yourself? You'd know if your mother made it properly that it's delicious, but I'm sure she took a dozen shortcuts.
>>
I wonder which bullshit trend we have today is going to be seen as weird and disgusting 50 years from now.
>>
>>7239859
Microwave ready meals
>>
>>7239850
Nobody's mom here ever even made it. We were all born long after aspics stopped being popular.
>>
>>7239866
they're already disgusting
>>
>>7239859
Putting bacon on everything, maybe.
>>
these pictures give me a huge creeping feeling of dread
>>
>>7239760

My sister has the thanksgiving issue of some magazine from the 1920s or 30s or something and its filled with disgusting stuff like this. Was a good read with a few laughs. If you guys ever see some old cookbook from the beginning of the 1900s read it.
>>
>>7239859

Transgenders
>>
>>7239769
Other anons gave good reasons, also people in the us wanted to mimic french aristocracy food, like terrine and jellied stuff. Of course it went horribly wrong
>>
>>7239804
>sack o' sauce in a can o' meat

They couldn't think of anything better to say than this? I'm dying here.
>>
>>7241310
that's not a trend
>>
>>7239872
Not true. My mom made aspic when I was growing up. She also made salmon mousse and all sorts of dishes that you never see anymore. But she is a classically trained chef, so her aspic wasn't made from fucking jello, either, which made a huge difference. Anyway, real, from scratch, properly made aspic is delicious.
>>
>>7241255
From looking through my grandparents and parent's copies of The Joy of Cooking, they've definitely removed alot of weird shit over the years.
>>
>>7241540
It's more of a disease
>>
>>7239859
Truffle Oil. There's a reason why it has a horrible reputation in the culinary world, and why many world-class chefs speak out against it.
>>
>>7241601

Is that reason because it's just fucking canola oil with truffle flavor in?
>>
>>7239760
That looks fine
>>
>>7239760

>Anything gelled
Absolutely ect

What is the jelly meat log thing that's often in continental deli's?
Are you supposed to pick the meat out?
I really don't get it.
>>
>>7239760
They still sell lots of this shit in Italy. Looks like dog food.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.