[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Too much casuals in here, ask a real chef anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (2 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 640x1136
Too much casuals in here, ask a real chef anything
>>
Does throwing ice cubes into oil make it boil faster?
>>
>>7239728
I thought you were called sandwich artists now?
>>
>>7239728
Where did you learn your profession, and what's your favorite dish?
>>
File: 1449179263080.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1449179263080.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
What kind of food do you eat when off of work, and what do you think of this pizza?
>>
>>7239728

When do you plan on completing your highschool degree?
>>
Which chef tattoo do you have? Chef's knife or whisk?
>>
>>7239728
What's the best ceviche recipe?
>>
>>7239728

Can I cook hotdogs by taping them to my engine block and then driving a couple miles?
>>
>>7239728
how are the chicken mcnuggets really made ?
>>
What went wrong?
>>
>>7239734
As fast as it gets
>>7239743
Lol eat real food not subway pleb

>>7239774

Nice question! I've worked at about a dozen restaurants primarily Italian, while I have no formal education I've been cooking since I was 14. Favourite dish to make is Filet Mignon with steamed vegetable

>>7239786

Lol I eat shit food not gonna lie, I'm bad at not taking my work home with me. The pizza looks okay, is it yours? Sprinkle parmsan cheese on the vegetables to prevent them from burning or losing their flavour, also what are those, whole sardines? Looks good

>>7239787

The same time you finish shit posting on /ck/, seriously of all the boards? Be less of a loser my man, go out and do something

>>7239796

It's a whisk that has blades instead of the wire

>>7239806

Lime chili peppers and shrimp, only made it a handful of times so I could really tell you a helpful answer

>>7239891

Your mother never loved me

>>7239816

I hope I'm not to bold in saying this but that's just about the ONLY way to cook it right, so long as you have a V8
>>
>>7241311

Ha, I was going to call bullshit until you said you eat crap at home and complimented my anchovy pizza (there was parmesan added before baking, though it's hard to tell).

Everyone I've ever worked with in the industry (BoH) ate garbage on their days off, especially the higher ups.

My ex was best friends with my last chef's wife, who couldn't cook, and when we went over for dinner he sat on the couch bossing her around, telling her to hurry up with what was essentially flyover casserole - and he was a fucking amazing chef when he was in the kitchen.
>>
how do you pronounce bechamel
>>
>>7241311
What's the most technically difficult dish you've attempted?
>>
>>7241353

Watch Ratatouille; that's a dumb question.
>>
post your face when the other steward gets promoted over me because he's been there for a thousand years and never once asked about moving to a production role until i expressed interest. he has no previous cooking experience and couldn't tell an allumette from a tourne. he's also what i call a 'not-my-jobber'. the kinda fuckboy that will straight up refuse to help someone because 'it's not my job' and will whine incessantly if a chef or supervisor makes him do it.
>>
Are there any signs an egg should not be eaten other than smell?

Family gave us some eggs some months ago, from their own chickens, but they've been refrigerated the entire time.
>>
>>7239728
>Too much casuals

*too many
>>
>>7241386
Well, they didn't stink, and they didn't taste bad. So now we wait...
>>
>>7241349
Yeah I thought there was park but the photo had a bit of glare in it, if the anchovies are in there more for flavour than looks you might wanna turn them 90 degrees that way every slice has some in it

>>7241352

Bay-shuh-mel

>>7241353
Probably gumbo cause it takes so god damn long and has so many ingredients and little things to it, takes a whole day to make.

>>7241382

Sounds like a useless bitch. Not gonna lie dog, your boss doesn't like you, that's the ONLY reason that would happen

>>7241386

The nose knows brother

>>7241426

I'm a chef not a writer

>>7241435

I'm sure you'll be fine, when it comes to eggs you usually will know if something is wrong
>>
>>7239728
How the FUCK do I get better at the following
>flipping fried eggs with the pan
>chopping with great speed
>>
>>7241461
Practice and practice dude, other than that make sure the egg is cooked enough to flip, usually around 75-80% cooked is where I flip

As for cutting shit you just need to practice technique, bell peppers are great to practice on. I could give you a bunch of tips but honestly you would learn more from a YouTube video. Just make sure you have a good grip
>>
>>7241386
>>
>>7241461
>>7241472

Every time someone asks how to get better at some technique I always tell them to walk into a kitchen at an off time and ask for a job.

You spend one year on the line and have cooked more than most people have in their entire lives. You've also done it under pressure, after watching pros who've spent years doing it, and who've learned from watching multiple other pros.

It's not the greatest career move, but you'll learn a skill that will last a life time.
>>
>>7241490
True but at the same time I've worked in kitchens where people who had been on the line for years still didn't know how to cook, only how to throw ingredients together

also maybe is different there but here no one will hire you unless you have experience cooking, which I've only got by washing dishes until being promoted
>>
>>7241457
>your boss doesn't like you
literally everyone else in the back besides that dude and his boy seems to like me a lot. homeboy and his dude have been sandbagging me a LOT lately. dude straight up disappeared for an hour and a half today and left me to do all the closing stuff, then magically appears a half hour after we were supposed to leave because he 'didnt want to be here all night' and 'no reason to be here a half hour after we were supposed to leave'.
turns out he was just downstairs in the locker room the whole time. fucking guy is toxic as fuck and i want him to leave (REEEEEEE) but he's been there for like 6 years and i'm on my 7th month.
maybe i'll just get fired and i can fuck off to the maritime academy and become a merchant sailor if foodservice doesn't pan out.
>>
>>7241490
Solid advice but I have a mortgage to pay. Maybe when I'm debt free
>>
>>7241506

How many restaurants you worked st? That guy sounds like a bitch, honestly most of the time I've never worked at a place longer than a year before leaving for another place, that's just how being a cook can go
>>
>>7241514
>How many restaurants you worked st?
been in and around since 2002. caught a bad one a while back and decided to get my shit back together full-reset mode starting from the bottom again.
>>
>>7239728

How would you prepare a whole duck.
>>
>>7241523
You could probably bullshitt your way into a job, cooking is like riding a bike
>>
>>7239728
How bald and angry are you?
>>
>>7241536

Full head of hair, occasional rage but 99% of the time I'm nice.

Chef is going to sleep, I'll answer any questions in the morning
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.