[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pulled pork
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: pulled-pork-burger[1].jpg (263 KB, 849x566) Image search: [Google]
pulled-pork-burger[1].jpg
263 KB, 849x566
How does /ck/ make their pulled pork if they only have a slow cooker?
I received one for christmas and seeing as pulled pork is the current meme food in the UK I thought it would be useful to ask a few questions before I do it
>does the pork need a rub, and or sear before you add it to the pot?
>apart from stock what would be a good liquid to add? Would cider (alcoholic) work well seeing as its pork OR beer OR coke OR a combination?
>what vegetables would be good to add to the pot? I was currently thinking just onion and garlic
>Do I add the barbecue sauce after the pork has completely cooked and it's been pulled? and anyone have a recipe for 'authentic' barbecue sauce because I'm not ruining my pork with the terrible sugar smoke syrup we get over here
Thanks guys
>>
>does the pork need a rub, and or sear before you add it to the pot?

Neither of those are strictly required but they do improve the pork.

>apart from stock what would be a good liquid to add?

It's rarely cooked with stock but stock would certainly work. Typical would be beer or cola.

>Would cider (alcoholic) work well
Yes. Great choice.

>what vegetables would be good to add to the pot? I was currently thinking just onion and garlic

Those are both good choices. Chili peppers of various sorts would be another good addition.

>Do I add the barbecue sauce after the pork has completely cooked and it's been pulled?

Yes. Cook the pork, pull it, then sauce it.
>>
>>7238787
/thread
>>
>>7238753
Try this OP (assuming there is Dr Pepper in the UK, if not, Coke or root beer would work). I really can't think of a way to screw it up though.

http://www.spendwithpennies.com/dr-pepper-pulled-pork-slow-cooker-recipe/
>>
>>7238753
Do you not have an oven? Oven pulled pork >> slow cooker pulled pork.
>>
>>7238787
So if i was to apply a rub, would searing the meat then be okay to get a nice crust before it goes in the pot?
>>
>>7238809
Its not a roast. You're pulling it. A sear is pointless.
>>
>>7238812
>A sear is pointless.

Nope. Sear causes malliard reactions & carmelization. That improves the flavor of the pork.
>>
>>7238821
meaningless buzzwords: the post
>>
>>7238821
>Searing pulled pork

Youre doing it wrong mate.
>>
cube up a pork ass into chunks manageable for the size of cooker. brine it in salt and molasses if your fucking smart. rub the fucker down with cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder. cook low till it pulls apart, no liquid needed it makes its own. make some bbq sauce to put on top, ketchup, mustard, tamarind paste, cumin, vinegar and shit. its hard to fuck up.
>>
>>7238823

lol, I guess you toss raw onions into your tomato sauce too.
>>
>>7238842
strawman: the post
try again
>>
>>7238823
>>7238848
the post: the posts
>>
>>7238753
I wouldn't make pulled pork if I only had a slow cooker. Smoker or bust Tbh Senpai
>>
File: IMG_20151226_171152_473.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151226_171152_473.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Sometimes I the oven.
>>
>>7238839
This guy is correct, excluding ketchup in the BBQ sauce ingredients. Mustard based (a/k/a Carolina sauce) is the best.
>>
It's pretty easy.

Buy pork butt.
Put in crockpot.
Leave 12-24 hours.
Remove meat (may be easier to just pour grease off as meat should be falling apart at this point).
Tear up any remaining large chunks of meat.
Add bbq sauce if you want.

Don't need sear, nor marinade or rubs, or stock or vegetables or anything really.

>tfw still eating on pulled pork from a butt I smoked earlier this week.
Gotta love that smoky flavor and bits of crispy crust from a smoked butt.
>>
I just made some pulled BBQ chicken last night. Threw frozen chicken, barbeque sauce, onion, garlic, cayenne paper pepper, and pakrika into a slow cooker. Low effort and tasted yummy
>>
>>7239353
>Don't need sear, nor marinade or rubs, or stock or vegetables or anything really.

You're right that none of that is necessary, but it does improve the flavor of your pork. It's up to you if you want to spend the effort to do that or not.
>>
Smoker > Oven > slow cooker.

Doing pulled pork in anything but a smoker is......kind of like boiling hamburger meat. Regardless, this might help.

Phase 1 prep the pork: Trim any excess fat protruding from the pork butt, or anything that the butchers missed until you get a nice clean piece of meat.

Phase 2 apply rub: Make a basic rub - 2 tbs smoked paprika (regular is fine), 2 tbs kosher salt, 2 tbs brown sugar (if you want sweet, if not, skip it), 1 tbs black pepper, 2 tsp garlic powder (NOT SALT), 2 tsp onion powder, 2 tsp cayenne.

Coat pork butt in your choice of - Olive oil, or mustard, or honey in order to allow the rub to stick. Sprinkle rub all over the OUTSIDE of the pork butt. Be GENEROUS. Your goal is to create a "bark" with the rub, which will act as the seasoning in the finished product.

Once pork butt is completely covered in rub, cover, and place in fridge for 12 - 24 hours.

Phase 3 cook: After pork has been allowed to rest in the rub, place the pork in your cooker with the fat side down, OR place the pork on a roasting rack in a pan fat side down, and place it in the center of your pre-heated oven with a bowl of water. They turn out better if they AREN'T resting in liquid, hence the roast rack. You won't be able to avoid this in the slow cooker, though, but only the lower portion will rest in liquid while the top will still form a bark.

275 F is a good generic cooking temp, and it should take roughly 1 to 1.25 hour per pound to cook at that temp. Baste hourly with apple juice. After about 75% of your estimated cooking time is complete, spary the shit out of it with the apple juice, then wrap it in foil to finish cooking. This keeps all remaining moisture in the pork. Once pork hits 195 degrees internal temp, pull it out of the cooker / oven, and let it rest in the foil for 45 minutes.

When you can pick up the pork without burning the fuck out of your hands, then it's done and can be pulled apart.
>>
Why is Pork so cheap?
>>
>>7238842
That's actually really good, makes it taste really fresh and you get that nice onion zing.
>>7238794
Always wanted to try this with root beer but don't know which brand to use.
>>
>>7238753
I usually make mine like this:
>rub it all over with mustard 50/50 sweet and dijon
>mince the shit out of some garlic, rub that in there too
>spicerub
And in the oven it goes
Though with slow cooker I would definitely sear it.
>>
>>7238753
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItcgIIGeFnc
>>
Generic mustard base sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup Dijon mustard
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon hot sauce, or more to taste
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

Heat butter, sweat, but don't brown, the onion and garlic. Add mustard, sugar, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water and simmer until it's at the consistency you want, then season to taste with hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Should be thin enough to poor, but thick enough to stick to back of a spoon.

Generic tomato base sauce:

2 cups Ketchup
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 cup Brown Sugar OR plain sugar OR honey
1 tbs. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Celery Seed
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp.Cayenne Powder
1 tsp Coarse Salt (too taste)
1/2 cup water

Heat wet ingredients in a pot until they start to simmer, whisk in dry ingredients and allow to slowly simmer for about 1/2 hour to blend flavors. Simmer or add water until the desire consistency is reached. Allow to cool and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using for best results.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.