[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else get PTDS from their parents' cooking? >Have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10
Did anyone else get PTDS from their parents' cooking?

>Have baby boomer parents
>You'll get E. Coli/Salmonella/mad cow!!!
>Overcook everything
>Well-done steak
>Rubbery pork chops
>Dry turkey
>Casseroles
>Awful rice/Swedish meatball things
>Chicken in the oven gets this white film on it

I can no longer eat pork chops, Swedish meatballs, white rice, or anything broiled.
>>
>>7232433
PTSD*
>>
>>7232433
No because my parents were good cooks.
>>
>PTSD for cooking

stop using these shock-value words you ridiculous tumblrina

you don't get PTSD from being a germophobe you fucking loser
>>
>>7232433
Yeah sort of, had a lot of those same meals.
I used to hate pork because of thin, chewy, dried out pork chops... Never knew how delicious they could be.
The worst were these pancakes my dad would make. I don't know how you fuck up pancakes but he did. They were always dry and crumbly and bitter and fucking COLD. Every fucking time, I could barely choke them down.

How are people so awful at cooking? Like simple cooking isn't even hard, just fry/roast some vegetables and cook a piece of fucking meat. A caveman could literally do it.

No PTSD or anything though, just confusion about how one can go through their life without ever developing the ability to cook at least decent food for oneself.
>>
>>7232456
someone sounds triggered.
>>
>>7232433
Nah, both my parents are pretty good cooks, actually.
>>
>>7232433
my grandpa grew up during the Great Depression (he's pushing 90) and refuses to throw anything away; when I was 10 I spent a week with him eating rotten meat and totally spoiled milk in various forms. I cannot drink milk to this day without gagging.
don't know if thats PTSD but it's gotta be close
>>
My parents will leave cooked food out for hours instead of putting it away, and if something needs to be defrosted they'll chuck it into the sink or leave it uncovered on the counter for a few hours
>>
>>7232514
Boo fucking hoo, you god damned Sally.
>>
My uncle says this about my grandparents then when I moved in with them in high school i really realized how fucked the food was.

Now, since Ive lived on my own Ive learned so much.

When i visit home I cringe
>>
>>7232514
I've done that all my life and it's never been an issue. What's the problem?
>>
File: ewface.png (923 KB, 973x981) Image search: [Google]
ewface.png
923 KB, 973x981
>>7232505
I am so sorry
>>
>>7232456
do you realize the irony of bitterly over-reacting to a word about traumatized people over-reacting to things?
>>
>>7232505
Well, if you aren't having vietnam-style flashbacks when you pass the dairy section, it might not be ptsd, but that's definitely a legit bit of shitty treatment to be affected by
>>
File: 1451270291116.jpg (77 KB, 1024x581) Image search: [Google]
1451270291116.jpg
77 KB, 1024x581
>>7232433

My grandparents make a pot of coffee then microwave over the day and next morning before making a new pot. It's gross and dumb because my dad works for a coffee company and gives them unlimited free coffee that was destined for the dump anyway but they refuse to throw it away ever.
>>
>>7232433
>all of these reasons are probably why I hate meat and am a vegetarian now

Thanks mom
>>
File: 1437109879686.png (194 KB, 247x200) Image search: [Google]
1437109879686.png
194 KB, 247x200
>tfw still have to control myself and not burn my meat to shit because I grew up in a household just like OP
>>
>grandpa was butcher
>dad learnt being a butcher
>god-tier at cooking
>hype everytime I spend time there and he cooks
good shit
>>
My mother was a reformed vegetarian. All meat had to be cooked until the juice was gone, or she wouldn't be able to eat it.

I eventually started cooking for her, and would just leave a portion for her in the oven for another half an hour.

Funny thing is, the vegetarian food she cooked was actually really good. I don't know why she went back to meat.
>>
>10 years ago
>17 years old
>living with parents
>Packing a lunch to go to work
>Grab one of the left over pork chops from the night before and make a salad to go with it
>Toss all that in a couple containers and then in a plastic bag and I'm about to leave.
>"Anon, are you taking that pork chop? You need an ice pack for that!" says my mother.
>Tell her it's fine, there's a fridge at work and it's a ten minute drive
>"No, Anon, you'll get sick."

I don't understand how she thought I was going to get sick from a cooked pork chop that was going back in a fridge in ten minutes. She also thinks I'm going to get sick if I ever eat a steak that's not totally well done; and her idea of a "medium" cooked steak is just the faintest hint of pink at the center.
>>
>>7232433
I blame fear mongoring nightly news programs... My mom used to be a good cook, until gradually things were undercooked or extremely overcooked... Used to love pork chops until they became tough as cardboard
Now I double bread them with panko, and I can hardly describe the contrast
>>
>>7232599
For anyone reading through the thread who doesn't know why this is bad, bacteria can grow on the food and release toxins their waste, heating the food up to sufficient temps can kill the bacteria but the toxins and stuff are still there and could make you sick
>>
>>7232433
>Dad picks us up from after-school care at 5:30pm
>Get home at 6:30pm
>"Dad I'm hungry" little sister says.
>Dad makes pasta 4/7 nights a week.
>Parents go on date night on Thursday and leave us with a pantry full of junk food.
>Dad orders pizza or Chinese takeout on the 6th night
>Dad plays DnD and doesn't make anything on Sunday.
>No sauce
>Sometimes adds bits of tuna
>"Dinner's done"
>Dad drinks 9 martinis a night. 2 liters of Gin a week.
>Dad plays Dungeons and Dragons Online or watches Battlestar Galactica until 2AM
>Dad stumbles off to bed

>Mom constantly throwing up.
>Mom constantly sick
>Mom constantly having migraines
>Mom constantly in pain.
>Mom only makes 1 thing: Chicken Cordon Bleu wrapped in a puff pastry with a wine sauce.

At least we got Prime Rib for Christmas.
>>
>>7233579
I would fuck your dad anon. Affairs with men like him are my fetish ugh
>>
>>7233579
jesus dude what a shitty life
>>
>>7232599
'Danger zone'. It's basic food safety, I mean, they're being pussies, but it's also science.
>>
>>7232716
I do this, am doing it now
>>
>>7233558
How do you defrost meat then? Real question.
>>
>>7233991
its safer to do it in the fridge, above freezing but still below major bacterial breeding levels
>>
Mom cuts corners pretty often, but her cooking is fine.

My aunt doesn't even season with salt and pepper.
>>
>>7234022
That makes sense. Thanks.
>>
>>7233833
>>7234044
You can also put it in water, I usually just brine meat anyway so it works out pretty well
>>
Used to hate chicken, since my mother always overcooked it to the point where it was crumbly and dry as fuck. She seems to have a huge issue with cooking meat correctly in general, desu. She tried to make pork belly for christmas. The skin wasn't crackling, but hard as nails, and as you bit through it, pieces of it half-melted and stuck to your teeth. Furthermore, it was underseasoned as fuck.
>>
I don't have it, but my dad has. He can't eat any form of pasta to this day. His sister used to make pasta when he was a kid. She overcooked the shit out of the pasta, added cheese and spam and called it a day.
>>
I was like 25 before I learned you can make pork chops without broiling them to the consistency of shoe leather.

It was around the same time I realized chicken breast doesn't have to be a dry, shredded lump of meat.
>>
>30-odd years ago
>be 4 years old
>live in the boonies
>folks raise chickens for the eggs
>dad loses job
>can't find another one because recession lol
>gradually eat chickens starting with the hens, then the roosters
my dad couldn't eat chicken for years after that, he was so sick of chicken. and I used to draw dead chickens on the bedroom wall, their eyes x'd out and shit
>>
>>7233615
>everyone look at my genitals
grow up pls
>>
>>7232433
Yeah neither of my parents cook well, and just ridiculously overcook everything. I didn't like steak or eggs until I learnt how to cook myself, as they were always cooked well past the point of being palatable.
>>
Boomers suck dick at cooking by and large.

Especially the women of that generation. They were the first to be Strong Independent Proud Women and did office jobs instead of normal female roles at home.

My mother's cooking was absolutely atrocious. She did nothing right.
>>
>ptsd

Come back when you had to suck Charlies dick to distract a guard during a POW escape in nam.
>>
>>7232433
my parents were fine but your post gave me flashbacks to visiting my British girlfriend's parents

Also, because there was family issues going on when we visited, we ended up cooking Christmas dinner for them. I've never cooked turkey before but I followed a recipe I found on the BBC and they said it was the best they've ever had. It may have been because it was cooked less than half the time they recommended I do it. I didn't think 4 hours under gas mark 7 sounded right and thank god. Also my girlfriend's sister took a picture of Hainan chicken her boyfriend ordered when they visited us in Hong Kong and everyone she showed it to commented on how pink the chicken looked and how you can't eat pink chicken and by mentioning pink chicken it got everyone in earshot wandering in to put their two-cents in about pink chicken. Meanwhile the chicken in the picture was fine, it just wasn't as bleached white-verging on grey that they're used to.

I think that there was some public health scare in the UK semi-recently because everyone is obsessed with cooking things as much as possible. The raw food (sandwiches, etc) I had there was pretty good but anything with meat was almost guaranteed to be overcooked and dry.
>>
File: 1394645667786.jpg (35 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
1394645667786.jpg
35 KB, 572x380
I've had a classical operant conditioned taste aversion (probably the correct term you refer to as PTSD) for potato casserole since I was a kid. For whatever reason I got a headache like 3 times in a row when I ate it, which most likely was justbad luck. Since then I haven't been able to enjoy potato casseroles, but I can eat potatoes in any other form.
>>
File: happy frogchild.png (190 KB, 398x386) Image search: [Google]
happy frogchild.png
190 KB, 398x386
>>7232433
>tfw parents are top-notch cooks
>>
File: images.jpg (28 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
28 KB, 443x332
>>7234651
This pic is your personality.
>>
Anyone else have parents who are ridiculously scared of fat but have diets full of sugar, processed food, refined / starchy carbs, preservatives, low nutrition and salt?
>>
>>7234657
I am too, to be fair. I learned from the best.

Planning to cook some delicious tandoori chicken for them tonight, actually, was a hit last time.
>>
>>7234665
>cooking the same thing
Ouch.
>>
>>7234668
Last time I made it, last year. I made them carbonara a couple nights ago which is always in demand.
>>
>>7234676
Nice, sounds good!
Do you make pastry often?
>>
>>7234686
No, don't do much pastry, though I've been meaning to learn more about baking lately. Thinking of trying pretzels, they might be fun.
>>
>>7232698

He's not wrong.

People really need to cut the shit when it comes to using that term.
>>
>>7233558
>>7233802
>literally 4 hours of sitting out before what you're saying is remotely an issue
Source: I'm fucking serve safe certified, fuckwad.
Retarded paranoid shits like you are annoying as fuck. Educate yourself (actually look up what I said and read, don't just post a buzzfeed blog supporting your objectively incorrect "opinion")
>>
File: shame.jpg (35 KB, 275x350) Image search: [Google]
shame.jpg
35 KB, 275x350
Roast. I can't eat roast anymore.

My mom used to cook roast in the oven once every week or two. She used to overcook the shit out of it. No seasonings, nothing.

I still remember that dry, stringy meat that used to come apart little spaghetti strands.

I am a carnivore through and through but, man, FUCK ROAST.
>>
>>7235237
I'm eating your mom's roast right now.
>>
>>7232433
>PTSD
I think the word your looking for is OCD.
But yeah I still wash my hands after touching anything while cooking.
>>
>>7232433
I have never tasted beef that wasn't cooked Well Done because of them.
>>
>>7232436
Speaking of ptsd, due to severe bullying in elementary for not liking cheese a girl i've been dating has panic attacks at the sight of cheese. The kids would throw cheese sandwiches at her, talking about it is pretty funny but it must've been hellish for it to cause such a long lasting problem
>>
My mum is a terrible cook and my dad is decent

To top it off, when they divorced, my mum hooked up with this extremely fussy eater so her food got even blander.

I always remember looking forward to going to my dads towards the end of the week, and dreading going back to my mums during the week

Fortunately I now live on my own and occasionally visit my dad.
>>
>>7234676
Don't forget the heavy cream :^)
>>
>>7232505
That's understandable to an extent. I once stayed at a friends house when I was younger, and his sister or mum left a plate of food in the fridge for weeks. It had maggots all over it and it was just a ham sandwich and some mac&cheese. I got PTSD of and from that place.
>>
>>7235331
shut up you southern european untermensch none of your cheek
>>
>>7232433
my parents are good cooks, but my mom puts eggplant and zucchini in fucking everything and it has to fucking stop
>>
>>7235307
>The kids would throw cheese sandwiches at her
fucking white people
Then again I took part in bullying a chubby kid into therapy so I suppose I'm no better

On topic though PTSD is a bit much but my mom's a mediocre cook that underseasoned everything. So much shit I thought I didn't like as a kid that turned out to just be poorly prepared.
>>
PTDS? Post Traumatic Dick Shit?
>>
>>7234868
No they don't nigger, you only dislike it because "WAHH TUMBLR" when in reality we do exactly the same thing here for different reasons, misusing a word for shock is a 4chan staple, misusing a word to garner sympathy is what tumblr does, learn the difference newfag.
>>
File: 1450470762128.jpg (51 KB, 277x265) Image search: [Google]
1450470762128.jpg
51 KB, 277x265
>>7232433
God, don't even get me started.
>grew up hating rice because it was always cooked into rubber
>same for almost every vegetable, always asked to eat them raw instead because they were always mushy and disgusting otherwise
>hated eggs because I'd never had a good one
>hated non-frenchfry potatoes
>non-marinaded steak was always well done and dry as stale bread
>marinaded steak was always a vaguely garlic-tasting spongy loaf of meat, also dry
>most kinds of sauces and stir-fries were always bad unless they came from a jar

I can't be mad at my mom because she was a good mom in all other aspects, but shit.
>mfw I moved out, started cooking myself, and discoved that every food I hated could actually be delicious
>>
My parents have never once prepared meat that wasn't enfuriatingly chewy, dry and tough. Hamburgers, steak, grilled chicken. Like fucking cardboard.

I couldn't really enjoy meat until I moved out and realized that proper cooks know how to make it tender.
>>
>>7232433
For the most part, no, but my entire family hates turkey, because my mother always cooked it to 185 F (85 C), and refuses to believe anything else.
>>
Mum cooks, her menu includes
>kids favorite casserole
Basically a shitty tuna bake with vegetables
>chow mein
Mince and cabbage
>mango salad with prawns (pre cooked)
Diced up mango with iceberg lettuce, probably the best dish she made.
>chicken liver pate
Proper 90s spew food. She said she took it to her works most recent Xmas party and no one touched it, I wonder why.

Also my mum stresses hard when in the kitchen, makes noise, complains, then expects us to like what she's cooked, just not fun.
>>
>>7234570
>and I used to draw dead chickens on the bedroom wall, their eyes x'd out and shit
wut
>>
>Thread has gone this long without a brigade of "Hur you shouldnt complain how dare you complain they fed you they are your parents!"

Someone being nice to you doesnt mean you shouldnt criticize them to help them improve.
>>
>Casseroles
>implying that casseroles are intrinsically bad and can be added to a list of food crimes with no further explanation

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>7232433
My parents are quite possibly the worst cooks on the planet. For one our house did not have any spices, not even salt or pepper. Every piece of meat was baked in the oven until grey with no sauce or seasoning, just straight in it goes. Every vegetable was boiled. Every. Last. One. Boiled until mush. In addition we never ate out, not even once, and I never ate at friends houses. I gained nearly 50 pounds in college in my first two years because I couldn't imagine just how good food can taste.
>>
>>7232433
My aunt used to microwav a kraft single over some corn chips and call it nachos. She made me eat it, and now I can make myself vomit on command by thinking about it hard enough.
>>
>>7232433
>chicken in the oven that gets this white film over it
DON'T DO THIS TO ME
>>
File: reactionfacebleugh2.jpg (125 KB, 369x519) Image search: [Google]
reactionfacebleugh2.jpg
125 KB, 369x519
>mom makes oven roasted veggies
>put a pinch of garlic salt on my portion because it's as bland as it's always been for the past 20 years
>mom says something along the lines of 'well if you wanted to eat a big bowl of herbs and spices go right ahead, but I'LL be enjoying my vegetables the way God intended'
>>
>>7239577
Yea but most casseroles are straight shite m9
>>
>>7240407
Not all, and they are damn convenient for busy families. Growing up in a household where my parents both worked 70+ hour weeks, they're a lifesaver.
>>
>>7240405
>but I'LL be enjoying my vegetables the way God intended'
raw, covered in dirt/feces/spiderwebs/mites?
>>
>>7232433
Mom did most of the cooking and seemed to be fucking obsessed with chicken. I fucking hate regular chicken now, can almost never eat it plain.
My dad could grill an amazing flank steak though.
>>
Dad was a terrible cook. He had to flush down his first try of spaghetti and tomatosauce. still remember the moment.
mom had a stroke and we were on our own from then on. I ended up beeing the cook of the senpai when I was 12y/o.
>>
>>7240411
I guess so. She says the same thing about meats, how you're supposed to enjoy the natural flavor or the gravy you make with it as opposed to spices.
>>
>>7240520
To be fair, that one isn't too odd, especially with beef.

Not for me though, herb crust the shit out of mine, please.
>>
>>7232433
My parents's Filipino good has turned me off of Filipino food for the rest of my life.
>>
>>7240599
So, no more hotdogs for you?
>>
I love my grandma, but he idea of seasoning something was saturating it in oregano. Baked chicken was covered in a thick black crust of oregano and "marinated" in this red lard shit. Was always oily as fuck and completely dry. Anything not well done was obviously a work of the devil and not to be eaten in her house. I have an aversion to oregano now. I can deal with it in small portions, but any big amount of it makes me gag. I still remember the time she steamed me some broccoli. I took one bite and had to force myself to swallow. When I asked what the hell she had put on it she said "Oh oregano and all the other spices there. That's what you use right?" The best part was she never ever tasted her own cooking unless it was plain white rice or a fried egg, because "I don't eat that."
>>
>>7234575
Do you know where you are? And you can spell out every word except "please?" Go back to Reddit already... pls...?
>>
>>7241313
BACK THE FUCK OFF??!!??
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.