[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Midwest Food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13
File: midwest 3.png (68 KB, 435x306) Image search: [Google]
midwest 3.png
68 KB, 435x306
Why did it become such a cultural wasteland? People blame it on snow people and their bland as fuck meat and potatoes bullshit, but it has to be something more. Why is the Midwest scared ofvegetables that aren't corn, potatoes, and cabbage? Why is everything so salty and sugary? Where are the standards? I've lived here all my life and it pisses me the fuck off how right /ck/ is about us. That Peggy Hunt story is dead accurate, too. People here honestly marvel at things like balsamic vinegar and fucking pretzel buns. Even my own mother gets excited about the latest brisket burger or fucking something something steak sandwich from the regional fast food places. For fuck's sake when I was younger I was constantly discouraged from trying new food because "you might be allergic to it". Things like dragonfruit and anything made out of the country aside from basic Italian brands and the sort. I'm a bit tipsy and probably won't even be this mad about the Midwest a few hours from now, but fucking shit.
>>
Food is a communal affair. Growing up in a homogenous environment where being different in any way is seen as a subversive act discourages restaurants from distinguishing themselves and discourages people from eating food that might be seen as "pretentious" or "elitist", let alone foreign.

Ironically this allows certain cultures (for example the somalis of minneapolis, the mexicans of chicago, etc) to retain a purer version of their cuisine than might be possible in more cultured places. The locals will not even bother with it so they simply cater to the tastes of their community.

That's about the only nice thing about visiting flyover land though. Unfortunately, for me, most of my visits there are business trips so I end up eating at shit-tier chains like Ruths Chris because there simply isn't time to go exploring for some obscure thing in an immigrant neighborhood.
>>
>>7229457
Why does /ck/ get so butthurt when it comes to what people eat in flyover states? This literally the 3rd thread.
>>
>>7229491
If you think this is bad, go on /int/ and see what they say about it.

Shit ain't nice, trust me.
>>
>>7229491
Can't speak for op, but I love my country and it pains me to see it dragged down by flyover land. We can do so much better.
>>
>snow people
>meat and potatoes bullshit
>corn, potatoes, and cabbage

My guess is cheap calorie-dense foods that help keep a person warm.
>>
>>7229499
I've been on /int/ like twice, but it just seems like /pol/ to me with more discussion focused on race and who's white.
>>
>>7229534
This. Did not see any flyover threads but will check back later.
>>
>>7229491
I feel like it's gotta be young people who either grew up there and recently moved away or are still living there. It just seems so bizarrely personal.
>>
File: 1440935477965.png (74 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1440935477965.png
74 KB, 1024x1024
>>7229457
>>
>>7229469
Then why is Japanese food worshiped by most Westerners (I think it's overrated as hell after spending a month there) despite being from the most homogeneous first world country of its size?
>>
>>7229597
Weabs
>>
>>7229597
>Then why is Japanese food worshiped by most Westerners
It's not, really. A caricature of Japanese food is popular internationally (not just the West, any Asian metropolis is full of sushi joints).
>>
>>7229587
Sure
>>
>alinea
>girl & the goat
when will truckstop cooks learn
>>
>>7229457
>Why is everything so salty and sugary
That's what I thought when I spent a week in New York. Is that the Midwest?
>>
>>7230274
>muh 2 expensive restaurants I've never actually been to but I read about 'em on buzzfeed
Daily reminder that Goose Island is owned by Budweiser and Cantu killed himself because he knew he was too good for you people
>>
File: kek1.jpg (15 KB, 558x564) Image search: [Google]
kek1.jpg
15 KB, 558x564
>>7230274
>alinea
It is truckstop fare, its overpriced shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTNS0nioFg
High class for flyover niggers
>>
>>7230321
lmao this is the most autistic shit i've ever seen.
>>
flyover food is shit because it was settled by northern yuropeans. the better question is why do northern yuropeans have such shit food?
>>
>Wisconsin has no taste lol
Have fun without any of your dairy, assholes.
>but muh californi-
HAH
>>
>>7229505
Hate the break it to you.

Fly over land is this countrym

As a left coasty i know we cant survive with out them.
>>
>>7230372
>implying you are the only state that provides dairy
>>
>>7230292
alinea is only about 600 for two people on average. that's less than a week's pay for literally every person that ever
>got a job out of HS and worked it for 5 years
>completed a degree in and found entry-level STEM field work
>is a qualified and accredited tradesperson
>>
I like it.
>>
> when did /ck/ become such a cultural wasteland?
> went to /ck/
> found /pol/
>>
>>7229457
Butter
Butter
Cheese
Corn
Butter
mmmmm Milk
Butter
Corn.
>>
>>7229457
I love the midwest, my friends grandfather is a statistics phd master that did a ton of statistics work during the cold war. He got drafted to Vietnam but was made to stay because he was billed as too much of a economic asset. The guys a master.

and we will go to PF Changs because grandaugter is fucking weeb, and he will spend literally 30 minutes staring at the menu trying to decide between the lemon and the orange chicken. Even though he always gets the orange chicken.
>>
>>7229457
It's not the entire midwest, and it's not exclusive to the midwest at all. Rural areas definitely aren't big on interesting restaurants or grocers, but poor and/or uneducated people anywhere in the US are going to eat more conservatively (for lack of a better word - trying fewer things, sticking to meat & potatoes). Go the biggest cities in any of those states (well, not sure about the westernmost) and you'll find no shortage of interesting restaurants. Big college towns are also more multicultural, which is reflected in the foods there, and there are regions with strong influence from immigration waves (Arabs in Dearborn Michigan, Mexicans in Holland Michigan, Somalis in Minneapolis, etc.)
>>
I've lived in the midwest most of my life, but I've lived in other parts of the country. It's not that we're "scared" of vegetables, it's that you suck at finding good restaurants or associate with people who have bland taste. All those stereotypes you mentioned are found in other regions as well saying the same damn thing.
>>
File: buddys-pizza-detroit.jpg (135 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
buddys-pizza-detroit.jpg
135 KB, 720x480
I can't speak for the other states, but Michigan has great food....primarily greek, mexican, and middle eastern. Probably the best state to get it in the country not counting Mexican...

Also Detroit invented the superior form of pizza
>>
>>7229457
>I was constantly discouraged from trying new food because "you might be allergic to it".
lol, this sounds way more like a coastie liberal thing than a midwest thing
>>
>>7233420
I'm related to people from the Midwest who I'm sure didn't eat the imported Irish butter I gave them, but they'll hog down Arby's and not think anything of it.
>>
>>7233420
>>7233425

It's a soccer mom thing, and they're all over the country.
>>
>>7233425
Midwesterners fucking love ireland. Like half the population is descended from Irish immigrants
>>
>>7233434
Just the way they accepted it made me certain they probably threw it out. It has nothing to do with thinking the people are dirty or anything, just the fact it wasn't "made here".
>>
>>7233434
>Like half the population is descended from German immigrants
ftfy
>>
>>7233443
both are close to being true

Its mostly Irish and German with a few polish enclaves, and some scandanavians in northern WI and MN, and finnish in the UP
>>
My corner of the Midwest is loaded with people of German, Italian, and Eastern European descent. Pierogi, kielbasa, dumplings, paprikash and goulash are staples. But we have a ton of options. I can slurp on a bowl of kuy teav for breakfast, saunter on down the street for a Rahmschnitzel washed down with a Sünner kölsch served on tap, then grab some Peshawari chapli kebab before heading downtown for a nice dinner of spicy pork intestine and fried house-made tofu. On my way home I can pick up some queso con loroco pupusas for my roommate.

In fact, the only people I ever hear rambling about pretzel buns are folks from out of town who think we actually eat those (why use a pretzel for a sandwich when you can use two potato pancakes?)
>>
Ok where the fuck is Missouri considered? Everyone from the midwest says it's part of the south and everyone from the south says it's part of the midwest.
>>
>>7233668
It's Midwest. People who argue otherwise are just trying to be difficult assholes.
>>
>>7233668
The south. It was a slave state, and its full of evanglicals and rednecks
Its not really straight forward though, you could legitimately consider St. Louis to be somewhat northern, and Kansas City to be the great plains, but pretty much everything in between is southern as shit
>>
>>7233704
Bullshit. Drive 30 minutes out of any city in Ohio and you're in a dark place more Southern than anything Missouri has to offer. And we ain't the South.
>>
North Dakota doesn't even have its own type of food, I don't know why it's even on the map.
>>
File: churches.jpg (942 KB, 1025x721) Image search: [Google]
churches.jpg
942 KB, 1025x721
>>7233668
If you live in a red county, you are a southerner
>>
>>7233713
Ohio is similar to Missouri in that it is a border state. The northern stretch is solidly northern, the south part is basically fucking Kentucky and the western third is Appalachian as shit
>>
>>7233719
pretty much the blue and orange counties are the north. The green and colorless ones are a buffer zone, and red ones are the south

Obviously this becomes more confused when mexicans come into play further west
>>
>>7233725
From what I can tell here on /ck/ everyone hates Ohio for some reason lol. Are we really that bad?
>>
>>7233736
I live there. Yes, we are.
>>
>>7233704
This. So much this.
>>
File: ohio-whatthehellson.jpg (40 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
ohio-whatthehellson.jpg
40 KB, 604x453
>>7233736
Ohio, what can I say about you that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan? You look bombed out and depleted.
>>
>>7229505
How the only part of the country that embodies the soul of America drag it down?
>northeast and west coast are literal communists
>south is too concerned with race
Midwest, Interior West and (white) Southwest are the only good parts of the country
>>
>>7233668
South
>>
File: ohio-typicalfan.jpg (81 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ohio-typicalfan.jpg
81 KB, 400x300
>>7233762
>>
I'm from Indiana, my typical fare is bologna and fast food. Its just cheap and easy, its what I grew up on. THere are a few good restaurants around, but I have to go to Louisville, Cincinnati or Indy. I love to try new foods, but there just isn't anything nearby.
I like Peruvian, Authentic Italian or Japanese when I can. THere are some good local Pizza places and Chinese, but have to travel at least 60 miles for great food
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
You all have been triggered
>>
>>7233807
If you are closer to Kentucky than a great lake, you are a southerner
>>
>>7233821
midwesterners would have used much more cheese, must be from elsewhere
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7233845
I actually cooked this from my elementary schools cook book for keks. I am from Ohio. I also made this. Whenever my parents try my food and I ask what they think it's always "it's kind of spicy" lol
>>
Midwesterners sustain ourselves. I have a freezer full of venison and I've been hunting since I was a small child.

Coasties are afraid of guns and if the magical food house (supermarket) disappeared, they would most likely starve to death in a matter of weeks. They see working hard and being self-reliant as "below them."

Can you imagine a coastie trying to field dress a deer or gut a fish? Loving every laugh.
>>
>>7233898
i'm scared to hunt and i live in the midwest.
>>
>>7229491
People who ate their first taco that wasn't from taco bell come back to their one horse town and say how enlightened they are because they did a semester in NYC. Meanwhile, Scandinavian and Germanic foods are coming back in a huge way, but that's not cool cause it wasn't on buzzfeed or vice.
>>
>>7233996
Potato salad?
>>
>>7234008
shit german potato salad is delicious man, way better than the 50-50 mayo mix shit
>>
>>7233996
Maybe because people have been eating the meat and potato stuff OP was talking about for decades and its starting to get boring? That's how I feel, anyway.
>>
>>7234016
Right so meat and corn for decades will be so tolerant. I mean, come on, it's 2016
>>
>>7233996
lmao, sauerbraten is pretty meme-y, wouldn't surprise me if it was on Vice on day.
>>
>>7229499
int is my main board and most people there don't give a shit about the midwest. and 9/10 if they do they're a californian which is pretty hilarious. god bless that extra flags userscript
>>
>>7229597
Because pure Japanese food is bretty good whereas pure midwest food is bland rubbish.
>>
>>7233451
A lot of Norwegian descendants in South and North Dakota as well.
>>
>>7233443

people in the midwest who claim irish just use it as shorthand for catholic, lots of midwesterners are millitiantly pro IRA
>>
File: RwolLtG.jpg (4 MB, 7531x4389) Image search: [Google]
RwolLtG.jpg
4 MB, 7531x4389
>>7235528
here's a fun little map for people interested
>>
>move to Ohio for work
>downtown Columbus, decent city
>go to burger joint, all my coworkers recommend it
>waitress comes, asks me what I want, fries, truffle frites, sweet potato fries or jojos
>"what are jojos?"
>OH HEY MAAII GAT U DON'T KNOW WHAT JOJOS ARE WHERE ARE YOU FRUM!?!?!?!?!
>get up and leave halfway through disgusting burger without paying or leaving tip
>never felt so unwelcomed in a restaurant in my entire life

I miss New York already damnit.
>>
>>7235756
If it makes you feel any better I'm from the area and not even I know what Jojos are.
>>
>>7235756
Moved from Texas to Washington State and every single place in the state calls potato wedges "jojos." I've never been triggered in my life prior to moving here.
>>
File: deep fried butter.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
deep fried butter.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>7229505
don't fall off your high horse and break a leg
>>
>>7229457
No telling really, but the locals will find a way to blame black people for it.
>>
>>7235776

Yea but they're not just wedges, they're also battered which is confusing to me...Starch on a starch. I've never seen obesity to this extent until I drove through Ohio and made a few stops on the way to Columbus.

I'm only out here for a year, so I'll be back to civilization and normalcy very soon.
>>
>>7233996
>but that's not cool cause they're white, and therefore racist
ftfy
>>
>>7235756
>I miss New York already damnit.
>people being hospitable makes you feel unwelcome
Not surprising
>>
>>7235545
>lots of midwesterners are millitiantly pro IRA
most midwesterners don't even know that the IRA is. and claiming to be irish is not a shorthand for being catholic. try telling that to an italian and you'll get your ass kicked

t. midwestern catholic
>>
>>7233736
I live in Bowling Green. I spend a bit of time in Toledo. I love this area. I did some time in Nebraska and let me tell you, Ohio is heaven. It's all about perspective.
>>
>>7235862

Anything south of Rome is nigger-hybrid territory in Italy. No coincidence that all the wealthier cities in Italy are near the Swiss and Austrian borders.

Guidos disgust actual Italians. Don't confuse these primates with people again.
>>
>>7235826

>servants questioning a patrons choices
>hospitality

No wonder the Amish chose Ohio by default after Pennsylvania started taxing them...you're all retards.
>>
>>7235863
I also live in BG. While Ohio can be boring, I think it's better than other states I've visited.
>>
>>7235884
what are you even talking about?
>>
>>7235929

You confusing guidos with humans.

We don't consider them equals here in the part of Italy that matters.
>>
>>7235937
>>7235937
i was just talking about regular "italian-americans"

no need to get your panties in a bunch. why do you third-world yuropoors always get so upset?
>>
>>7235962

There's no such thing. You're just American. Doesn't matter where your ancestors came from. They braved seas, renounced the Nationality of the places they came from for a pie of the pie.

The pie is small in Ohio. Simple as that.
>>
>>7233821
>>7233868
I've had both of these abominations. My mom would always turn whatever leftovers we had into "casseroles", which meant at least 2-3 nights a week we'd be eating some shit mixed with cream of mushroom and topped with chips
>>
>>7230366
>upper class Europeans enjoying their spiced food
>increased trade after the crusades makes said spices more available to the lower classes
>upper class suddenly decides that flavorful food is for peasant scum and breeds sin, bland food is "in" again
>English cuisine in particular has never recovered since
>>
>>7236508
This. European food looked alot like indian food until the rich people realized that poor people could now season their food to kingdom come too.
>>
>>7233763
The only reason the south is more concerned with race is because there are actual brown people there. Unfortunately it's not the good kind of brown people, just the kind that eat the same shitfood that white people eat.
>>
>>7233725
I'm from Ohio and I can confirm this is true

>>7233736
Parts of Columbus and Cincinnati are really nice. Cleveland's a bit of a tourist trap but whatever.
>>
I guess Chicago has "culture". If that means shitty overpriced food, daily murders,dangerous niggers,loud Mexicans, and a corrupt government.
>>
>>7235756
I've lived in Ohio for my whole life and literally never heard of jojos
>>
>>7233373
get.. out..
>>
>>7237207
Seconded
>>
>>7230321
holy shit this is real
>>
>>7230321
This is incredibly stupid. Who would pay for this nonsense?
>>
>>7237253
It's supposed to be silly and fun. Alinea is whimsical and not really stuffy at all.
>>
File: 1433286492227.png (362 KB, 525x549) Image search: [Google]
1433286492227.png
362 KB, 525x549
>I'm a bit tipsy and probably won't even be this mad about the Midwest a few hours from now, but fucking shit.

This brought a smile to my face. Everything gonna be okay midwest bro, we grew up eating bland stuff, but I like to think it made us less picky.

Its like you have to pick one of two evils, be surrounded by the newest diet craze (gluten free etc) or chew down a burger cooked well done with your family.

I still don't understand whats up with avocados.
>>
>>7233373
Square pizza is so far superior to other forms of pizza. Buddy's is GOAT. NY tortilla pizza fags btfo

Midwest is the /comfy/ food region.
>>
>>7229457
My neighbor gifted me 3 kringle's for Christmas. I tried 1 and threw it away, gave the rest to my mother friend who grew up in the same town as the producer. They are weird king cakes (from New Orleans)
>>
>>7239108
Almond kringle is probably the most delicious dessert I have ever tasted what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>7229457
>Be in the Midwest
>Stuck in a dead food cultural college town

well I got all the pizza and burgers I could ever want, gentrification sounds horrible anyway.
>>
>>7239151
I went back to my college town a few years ago
The old restaurants were still there
The food was exactly the same, which is to say, awful. But when you're 21, you don't give a shit and nice things are a scam. It's called sour grapes. Because college kids are poor.
>>
>>7236537
it's only northern countries with shit food though. southern yurostan is great.
>>
>>7233821
>fritos
kek
>>
File: Yamcha dead.jpg (34 KB, 800x445) Image search: [Google]
Yamcha dead.jpg
34 KB, 800x445
>>7230568
>mfw in entry level STEM job with STEM degree and barely make 2K a month

>mfw when I live in the Midwest
>>
>>7242318
Lel
I'm not even STEM and I make more than the salaries Reddit STEM thinks is impressive
I think most le STEM maymay posts are made by high school students with no sense of what "lots of money" translates to in dollars
>>
>>7233373
Pizza Sam's in Alma, MI is GOAT pizza.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.