[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into whiskey? I want to like whiskey, because I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
How do I get into whiskey?
I want to like whiskey, because I have a lot of access to Jack Daniel's, but I'm a beers guy (I do like alcohol), and whiskey tastes like water with corrosion to me.
>>
File: bulleitrye.jpg (318 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
bulleitrye.jpg
318 KB, 683x1024
>>7228480
Give the filthy JD to the homeless and get some of this
>>
>>7228480

I'd guess most people dont just in to straight whiskey.

Start by mixing it. Get some cheap shit and mix it with Cola, soda, ginger beer or anything else you might enjoy. Over time you will become more accustomed to the taste.

What type of Jack do you have access to?
>>
>>7228480
give me a good beer over whiskey any day
>>
JD you can mix with shit, not that good imo otherwise get some diffrent kinds of whiskeys if you wanna learn
Blended, single, triple distilled etc then learn how to taste a whiskey by watching a youtube vid. Also try upping up your beer aswell, double IPAs, Stouts, Imperial Stouts etc to get into some more hearty strong beers.
>>
>>7228480

Jack Daniel's is a Tennessee whiskey which is basically just bourbon made in Tennessee, it's mostly made out of corn and that's why it's so shitty, you might want to try to get into Scotch, it's smoother and simply tastes better both neat and with ice, don't really see how and why you would want to mix it with anything. Get a bottle of Red Label if you want decent cheap shit, it's pretty smooth and light, if you want something better and pricier then Chivas Regal 12 is a pretty good choice for a start, very light a little fruity and doesn't burn while you're tasting it.
>>
>>7228480
I dig a good single malt scotch, but don't have much taste for bourbon; however, just last night I tried some Buffalo Trace, and although it was simple in taste, I would say it was the smoothest bourbon I've had.
I believe I'll be buying a bottle of it myself soon here.
>>
>>7228480
>How do I get into whiskey?
You drink it till you like it, like with any other acquired taste.
Stupid.
>>
>>7228480

Jack Daniels actually goes quite well with beer. I tend to put an ice cube in it to let it cool and dilute a little and then sip with a beer. Very pleasant.
>>
>>7228480
start with shitty bourbon in mixed drinks
move up to rye
finish with scotch, amazing variety, -e
>>
>>7228480
jack daniels is awful
>>
>>7228488
Mah nig
>>
>>7228480
i got into it when i had to lay off the beer. i would drink half the beer i normally do and try different things like crown royal apple, wild turkey honey, and ginger bourban from jaquins. i would have to chase it since i never did liquor, but now im actually kinda liking it. i still love beer, but it works

way less of a fun drunk unless you need to catch up at a party, but youll sleep well with it just as much.
>>
Jameson and ginger ale then start adding less ginger ale
>>
Why would anyone want into whiskey? I mean its pretty nasty stuff which is why you shoot it or mix it with something. Actually jack and coke taste pretty good i have to admit.
>>
>>7229892
To pretend to be a strong silent type whilst tipping their fedoras at the m'ladies. I've had Macallan 25 and Highland Park 18 and Blue Label, it's gross at any price.

The best way to drink whisky is to keep the bottle in the freezer, and shoot it from a shot glass with a chaser. Lemon juice works pretty well, or any citrus soda in a pinch. Gets you drunk, which is really the whole point anyway.
>>
>>7228480
Good affordable starter bourbon:
Bulliet Bourbon (their rye is good too)
Maker's Mark

Good affordable starter Irish whisky:
Jameson

Most bars will have these brands. Try them neat unless it's a high abv (over 40%). An old fashioned is also another way to try them since the ingredients won't overpower the taste of the whisky. Usually rye or bourbon are used in them. Never tried it with Irish whisky.

I don't know anything about scotch.

For your first time, get a small whiff of the whisky before drinking. Then take a small sip. Don't rush it.
>>
how do i get into being a gay faggot who does nothing but anal sex with men 24/7?

i really want to get into being a gay faggot
>>
Same for me.

My findings: single malts to start with a good blend can be very good, and a bad one very bad. Single malts don't swem to be as big a gamble. Irish or scottish. Look for established distilleries like Oban and the like. Bushmill's is a good mid range to start with. The difference between a good whisky and a bad one can be quite noticeable.

Don't buy bottles unless you like it and have ordered it before at a bar. Ignore shitters talking about bulleit and all that. American whiskeys, like most things in this country, are amateurish and ham-fisted attempts to emulate better offerings by people who actually know what they're doing.

I got given a bottle of dewar's 12 for christmas. One of the few without that overriding harshness you mention. Smooth and flavorful, good for a blend in my limited experience.
>>
>>7229907
If you don't like it, you don't like it. Just because you feel insecure about it doesn't mean you should discourage OP.

It's really kinda pathetic that you would post in a whisky thread if you don't like whisky. Why don't you go start another fast food thread?
>>
>>7230249
I also understand that this comment is going to fuel the fedora comments but I'm actually starting to get interested in whisky after years of thinking what everyone in this thread is saying. Sorry for the momentary lapse in memeing lads
>>
File: m'lady.jpg (23 KB, 350x487) Image search: [Google]
m'lady.jpg
23 KB, 350x487
>>7230251
>>
>>7230266
upvoted and gilded, sir!
>>
>>7230229
its great in an old fashion, thats how i started
switched to rye old fashions after a while though
>>
>>7230249
>shits on american whiskies while praising dewars
>myshiggydiggies
>>
File: 1448821382317.gif (771 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1448821382317.gif
771 KB, 500x365
>>7228480
you dont
>>
Life's to short to drink shitty blends entry level bourbons.

Start by researching quality blends and single malts and the origin of flavors, Scotland basically.
Each area of Scotland represents a different history, climate and flavour of whiskey
Full bodies and smokey
light and floral
fruity and spicy
rich and rounded
Think about what you like eat flavour wise and then head to a good liquor store and and match up what you like with the whiskey.
Single malts are the top notch but only came into popularity around the 1970's when Glenfiddich (12 year old SM) , dropped the 1st one so if you keep getting into it further that's where you'll end up into single malts once you explore the flavour you enjoy.
Whiskey looks at the nose (smell), taste and the finish, its an awesome drink, art, culture.
Personally I like whiskeys from the Campbeltown area of Scotland, Springbank, Glengyle. Japanese whiskey is also awesome..
have fun hope this helps..but please don't waste your money on cheap American shit to find your way.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.