[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
supp, cu/ck/s.. i dump pics of food from work every now and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 12
supp, cu/ck/s..

i dump pics of food from work every now and again, but haven't done so in a while soo here we go.

back in august, i posted a thread asking advice on whether or not i should take a job i was underqualified for that involved helping to open a new restaurant (never went to culinary school, never even graduated high school). the pay was meager ($11/hr), but i was promised 10% of all tips every night in cash. anyway, y'all helped sway my decision to take the job and give it the ol' college try.

started on cold side/garde manger, moved over to the hot side after about a month, and am now opening and running the restaurant one day a week so the chef can get some time off one day a week. we've been getting rave reviews, got a couple write ups in major local periodicals, and are somehow sitting at an unheard of 5 stars on yelp..

a lot of you fags always say that we won't make enough money and will be closed within a year.. despite those sentiments, we packed the house to absolute full capacity (70 people.. the dining room seats 26 people including bar) on new years and did a 7 course set menu for $110. anyway, with our three person line, we put out 490 plates of food (not counting amuse bouche), and absolutely crushed our previous $4100 sales record with a $10,300 night.

enough of the blog post, but thanks for helping to sway my decision to take a risk on this job /ck/.

>quail marinated in shoyu, sake, scallion, lime juice, pepper flake
>salad of cucumber/onion/fennel/olive oil
>house made yogurt, w/ added lime juice/honey
>salsify chips
>>
>>7227404

>pan roasted quail
>carrot/parsnip batons
>romanesco
>chicken liver
>chicken sausage
>bread croutons
>confit garlic clove
>foie gras butter/chicken jus sauce
>parsnip chip
>>
>>7227404
The color is ugly and the dish is plated in a trendy way without the experience or precision that actually makes that style of plating look good.

Though, 7/10, would eat.
>>
>>7227413

>seared albacore
>celery root/fennel bulb/onion/green apple/pickled mustard seed "risotto"
>anchovy caramel
>miso aioli
>ponzu foam
>>
>>7227423
suffers the same problem as this
>>7227416
>>
>>7227423

>miso marinated black cod
>sunchoak foam
>romanesco
>candied hazelnuts
>lemon gel
>celery micros
>>
>>7227432

amuse bouche from new years.. truffle oil encapsulated in iso-malt (beet sugar).
>>
>>7227437
>>
File: iR9pCYi.png (528 KB, 627x458) Image search: [Google]
iR9pCYi.png
528 KB, 627x458
>>7227432
>>7227437
>>7227440

I'm just not a fan of this forced plating style.

Here, just so you can see how I plate. I mean, its not bad. But it's pretty trendy and just doesn't have the quality really required to pull it off. Every plate is so loud its deafening.

My is definitely more low key, but I feel its a lot less noisy.
>>
>>7227440

>soft boiled, stained egg
>fried sweetbreads
>sweet potato "nest"
>black trumpet mushrooms cooked in veal jus
>chanterelles
>chive foam
>>
>>7227447

looks god, m8.. what is it? and what do you mean by our food lacks the quality to pull off this style of plating?

all of the plates i post are ones i have personally done, so i agree that they're not as refined as they could be. the shit the chef plates is ridiculous, so i try my best to keep up w him.

>pighead/fermented black bean candybar
>prosecco/pear soup
>pickled merlot red cabbage
>serrano pepper
>>
>>7227447
Idk dude, your plating looks more like something you would get from a family restaurant vs. a high-end place, no offence.

>>7227416
This, tbhfam
>>
>>7227453

>pan cooked/butter basted monkfish
>>house cured/smoked shoulder bacon
>celeriac/apple/fennel/onion/mustard "risotto"
>anchovy caramel
>miso aioli
>watercress
>>
>>7227458

>sous vide/plancha seared lamb loin
>chimichurri
>house yogurt
>romanesco
>seared endive
>a sweet black garlic sauce, i forget what its called
>>
>>7227463

last one.. prob my best plate i have ever done.

>pan seared duck breast
>quince/honey/rose wine redux
>parsnip/marscapone puree
>squash puree
>fried shallot
>>
>>7227466
>>7227463
These two look delicious. But what's with all the liquid around the lamb loin?
>>
>>7227479

thats the black garlic sauce (brown), and olive oil from the chimichurri (yellow).. but yeah, both dishes are money
>>
>>7227404
I remember this thread. Happy it worked out for you OP, the pictures all look great.

But I have to ask about >>7227437 - do people really just eat/drink the truffle oil plain?
>>
>>7227497

yeah man. it's got some salt on it but is basically just candy filed with nice olive oil.. it's actually really good. plus it's just an amuse bouche, so it's what the guests got before they got their first course
>>
All your dishes are 1-2 years behind current trends.

Innovate and keep up with the times.

You're also using out of season produce. Examples:

>>7227458
watercress
>>7227463
lamb
>>7227453
pear
>>7227448
chanterelles (This one is big, switch to winter chanterelles after november)
>>7227423
green apples

Apart from that, the dishes seem confused, cluttered and complicated for the sake of it. Good food isnt a competition to do as many things as possible well, as Albert Roux said "Do few things, perfectly"

The dishes (>>7227432 >>7227463 >>7227466) Seem too wet in genereal, with little to no texture because of this. Having purees and gels are good ways of having flavour conveyed, but don't get caught up in them.

this dish in particular (>>7227466) seems lost. I can see in the picture that the duck skin hasnt been rendered enough, the plate is broken up too much in the name of style, and from the list of components, theres no depth of flavour coming from anything.

looks good, but i question the content and the actual subsance of the dishes
>>
>>7228835
>never been on a line
>>
>>7228835

the duck is sous vide at 136F for two hours and then the fat cap is rendered in a pan for like ten minutes when the ticket rings in.

i totally disagree about texture. the cod has romanesco and nuts, and the duck has crispy shallots plus pea shoots.

thanks for the criticism tho, m8
>>
>>7227456
None taken. But the food is every bit as serious. Just without pretense.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.