[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mast Brothers Chocolate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: mast-label.jpg (30 KB, 292x231) Image search: [Google]
mast-label.jpg
30 KB, 292x231
Did anyone on /ck/ fall for this scam?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/nyregion/unwrapping-mast-brothers-chocolatier-mythos.html

It turns out they remelted Valrhona's bulk chocolate into bar form and marked up the price.
>>
>>7225953
Valrhona is actually really good chocolate, I'm fine with this. Better than that "raw cacao" shit that's taken over a lot of stores' chocolate aisle
>>
>>7226346
Well, they're making people grossly overpay for Valrhona.
>>
>>7226361
The valrhona bars aren't that cheap
Also if people are going to overpay for any chocolate, and they often do, you can do a lot worse than valrhona, and again, people often do
>>
$25 for a single bar of chocolate.
>>
To be fair, according to the article they only did this when they started out in 2006. Today they seem to have some sort of bean-grinding to chocolate operation?
>>
The problem isn't completely that they resold someone else's chocolate, it's that after they stopped their chocolate started tasting like shit.

Could you imagine there being a new hip "grape to bottle" winery that opened up out of Brooklyn which sold objectively horrible wine in really pretty bottles and started to completely own the entire wine industry? That's what Mast Brothers is to chocolate.
>>
>>7226422
Well, luckily Brooklyn Winery has ugly ass bottles. The only NY state winery that has good looking bottles is Wolffer and everyone is already on to their scam.
>>
>>7226382
Read the source work.

Now no one knows anything about the bars they make.

Ive had a couple of mast bars as gifts given to me.
There nothing special.

The masts figured out how to make money off of hipsters , so power to them on that. But there is much better stuff out there in the same price range. Or stuff of equal quality for significantly cheaper.
>>
>>7226594
I'll believe you. Maybe it's a massive scam to this day. I don't even eat chocolate, but it's pretty interesting if they actually literally managed to just melt chocolate and repackage it.
>>
>>7225953
Down the bottom...
That's a shitload of corrections for one article.
Is the NY times the Fox of newspapers?
>>
>>7226605
I meant to say no one knows what is in there bars now.

They have reduced the info on their packages and do not give tours of there actual production facility at Navy Yard.

Scam or marketing? Hard to say. I dont care. Like i stated above. They are making bank on hipsters so good on them.
>>
>>7226605
Melting and repackaging is a long tradition in chocolate and candy making. But the people who do it dont bill themselves as bean to bar.
That is the stink of it.

If your bean to bar you need to be 100% bean to bar. Not "ohh that one bar we make 'bean to bar" but the other 10 we remelt, so we are a bean to bar operation"
Which is literally what the masts have said and done.
>>
>>7226611
>Fox
>admit to making mistakes

If a news source publishes corrections that makes it actually good
>>
>>7227058
B-but muh false equivalency! Fox is the nytimes of the rational right!
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.