[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pumpernickel Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: pumpernickel.jpg (173 KB, 500x453) Image search: [Google]
pumpernickel.jpg
173 KB, 500x453
I've been baking my own bread for little over a year and a half. Usually I use recipes out of the Tassajara Bread Book as it was a gift a few years back that served as a good basis for understanding bread baking.

Lately, I've been interested in branching out and baking some pumpernickel, as I've always been a fan of its flavor. But after doing some light research, as an American, I realize that traditional European pumpernickel and traditional North American pumpernickel are quite different from one another.

I'm not looking for the flavor of a dark-colored rye bread, at least I don't think I am, which seems to be what the North American traditional recipe becomes according to what I've been reading.

If you have any recipes for pumpernickel, I'd be interested in seeing them.
>>
File: Pumpernickel.jpg (2 MB, 2365x1869) Image search: [Google]
Pumpernickel.jpg
2 MB, 2365x1869
>>7223884
German pumpernickel looks like pic related and has a sweetish taste. It was invented for it's long storage qualities. It's commonly used as a military ration. It's not something that's eaten on a day-to-day basis.
>>
File: pumpernickel.jpg (34 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
pumpernickel.jpg
34 KB, 440x440
>>7223897
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeCkAgEvL4&t=15m00s
Disregard the guy eating the bread with a spoon like an idiot.
>>
>>7223897
Where as the North America tradition includes flour and commercial yeast, which is what I am more going for.

Rye and North American pumpernickel have very distinctive tastes from one another in my experience. yet many recipes I've seen seem to describe them to be more similar than different. I feel like I'm missing something.
>>
>>7223884
How is your german op?

if your german isnt good enough i might translate it later for you

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1036001208758578/Pumpernickel-wie-ich-ihn-mag.html
>>
God I love Pumpernickel
>>
>>7223974
this is what you need i post instructions later

700g Sourdough made from finely grounded rye coarse meal
200g rye (whole)
200ml water
350g finely grounded rye coarse meal
350g grounded rye coarse meal
300ml water
20g salt
120g Golden syrup from Sugar beets
150g Sunflower seeds
>>
>>7223897
I eat it everyday and i'm from Denmark.
>>
>>7223897
>>7223884
Am I gonna be the only one to point out that that bread looks like an Xbox logo?
>>
pumpernickel a shit.
>>
>>7223884
now that thing surely does not look like a pumpernickel
>>
>>7223897
uhm no, it's an affordable and healthy delicacy so i eat it several times a week
and it's best reasonably fresh
i'm a german from westphalia btw
>>
Are you Deutschebros saying that my Peppridge Farm pumpernickel isn't the real thing?
>>
>>7226307
unless it's not crushed lightly sprouted rye berries fermented with sourdough and baked for 24+ hours you bought dark rye bread
not a bad thing either desu
>>
>>7223897
Ugh I made the mistake of buying some of that shit once. It's dry and crumbly and shitty.
>>
An old girlfriend of mine used to call her vagina a coin slot and that's what I would always say, "I'm going to pump her nickel."
>>
>>7226404
>An old girlfriend of mine used to call her vagina a coin slot
Instant boner
>>
I love pumpernickel! Someone please post a recipe for making the North American version
>>
>>7224386
the evening before you pour 200ml boiling water on the 200g rye (whole) and let it soak over night. The next day you you boil the soaked rye in 600ml water at low heat for 1h then you drain the rest water.

Now you mix the dough,the course meals, sunflower seeds and add slowly salt, water and syrup after that you dust flour over it and cover it for 30min.

After resting yoiu knead it again and put it in a rectangular greased backing pan (~25cm long) now cover it and let it rest for 2-3h.

pre heat the over to 150°C. Brush water over the dough and but alufoil aroud the backing pan but it at the lowest track in the oven. Let it back for 14h after the first reduce the heat to 120°C. After the 14h are over turn the oven off and let the bread in there for another hour.
>>
>>7227350
>back
*bake
>>
File: lazytownnzz.png (48 KB, 256x286) Image search: [Google]
lazytownnzz.png
48 KB, 256x286
>>7226404

why did I laugh at this?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.