[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never had sushi before, so I'm thinking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Easy-Sushi-Roller-Sushi.jpg (146 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Easy-Sushi-Roller-Sushi.jpg
146 KB, 1500x1000
I've never had sushi before, so I'm thinking about ordering some from the place around the corner. What would you recommend for a first try?
>>
i have also never had sushi
>>
>>7223803
rice and fish

Nigiri (rice block with fish on)
Maki (rice cylinder with stuff inside)
Temaki (cones of rice with things in)
that's the simple stuff, if there's a noodle or mushroom dish that's a good bet for a first timer too, don't go insane and order too much though because because it looks less food than it is.
>>
>>7223820
forgot to say: salmon and prawn might be the easiest flavours, but I like tuna and salmon roe a lot

don't get any californian rolls they're shit
>>
>>7223803
Maguro or even better Chutoro
If you don't like it then the place is either really shitty or you have bad taste
>>
>>7223803
Don't try it, it's overrated meme food for weeaboos.
>>
>>7223835
But I am a weeaboo.
>>
>>7223835
It'd have to be a modernish fringe food for it to be a meme, it's too popular (and it precedes modern weeabooism) to be a meme.

>>7223840
STOP
>>
File: 1362737913920.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1362737913920.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
"The place around the corner" is never good unless you live in Japan.

Even if you live in a large coastal city there are probably at best a dozen to two dozen good sushi places. Chances are, "the place around the corner" isn't one of them.

No, baka, even that place you think is good, actually isn't. I promise.

Sincerely,

Someone who has been eating sushi since before it was cool, and has lived in Japan as well as traveled everywhere you've traveled, and then some
>>
>>7223846
>I am an asshole and I want everybody to know
>>
>>7223848
Hes right though. The vast majority of sushi places in the US are garbage quality. Its annoying as shit that the grocery store quality sushi in Japan is what you get served at most Japanese restaurants in the US.
>>
Your basic shit, tastes good and can ease in beginners:

> California Rolls
> Cucumber Rolls
> Chicken Teriyaki Rolls
> Beef Teriyaki Rolls
> Avocado Rolls
> Veggie Rolls
> Dynamite Rolls

Still basic, but now we're getting into raw fish:

> Salmon Rolls
> Tuna Rolls
> Caterpillar Rolls
> Rainbow Rolls
> Salmon Nigiri
> Tuna Nigiri
> Negitoro Rolls

Now this is the good shit:

> Sashimi (Salmon, Tuna, Octopus, Clam, Sweet Shrimp, etc)
> Unagi Rolls

Avoid anything "spicy" unless you like heapings of sauce. In fact, I personally tend to stay away from anything doused in sauce or tempura'd all together. A good rule of thumb is that if a Roll has a stupid name and like ten god damn ingredients just stay away from it, because it will just be gross and it's designed to look "fancy" to people who don't eat sushi.

Wakame, Gomae, Yakitori, Miso Soup, and most salads will be good too.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.