[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, so people who've ever worked in ANY restaurants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: frenchfries.jpg (569 KB, 647x436) Image search: [Google]
frenchfries.jpg
569 KB, 647x436
Alright, so people who've ever worked in ANY restaurants kitchen, I'm wondering how they prepare their fries.

I was at a local restaurant and the waitress mentioned to me that most restaurants fry their french fries/chips in the same grease/oil with other foods including means and the like.

I wanted to know from other anons who have worked in a kitchen how much you've seen this in your experience at any kind of restaurant. I'm very curious how often it occurs. I'm a very strict vegetarian, so hearing about it kind of dissappointed me. Overall I'm interested in what goes on in the kitchen in places like those, but I'm also really really curious how places fry their french fries/chips
>>
>>7221093

Beef tallow, or confit style in duck fat.

Frites weren't on the menu and only made upon request. Topped with shaved truffles and freshly grated parmesean.
>>
I used to primarily work the fry station at a higher end brewpub type place for a little over a year.

There were three fryers and none of them were exclusively used for anything in particular; we'd throw whatever we needed into whichever one was available.

There was also one container of batter and one container of seasoned flour, so anything battered and floured (anything fried other than fries) was dipped or coated in something that had gotten raw chicken, shellfish, and all sorts of other shit.

People are mostly just worried about the oil because of allergies.
>>
>>7221116

thanks for the input, this was really helpful and detailed, i appreciate it!
>>
Worked fry/expo for about 2 1/2 years. Everything gets fried in the same oil. We had 3 fryers and would just drop in whatever one wasn't being used. We also changed our oil every other day, but we did drain and filter it once after the lunch rush and again after closing.
>>
>>7221107
mcdonalds?
>>
>>7221133

No problem. If you're ever not sure about something at a restaurant just politely ask (before ordering), and most places will be happy to tell you (it's better to know upfront than serve you something that you send back).

>>7221139

Filtering twice a day and changing the oil every other day is pretty hardcore.

We filtered every night after closing and changed the oil every Thursday night, and people would come in and think that was excessive based on what they'd seen at other places.
>>
>>7221107
lol
>>
>>7221093
vegetarian here too, and it's true
but it doesn't matter

if the oil is hot enough, shit wont contaminate each other. If it isn't hot enough it can, as well, you'd also be getting really soggy, oily fries.
>>
And people wonder why they get ill from restaurant food.
>>
i worked at a place as fryer guy and we used 4 fryers.
1 for blanching raw fries, 1 for battered chicken, 1 for battered fish and the final one for finish cooking fries and breaded stuff like mushrooms tenders ans chicken filets.
oil was filtered twice a day and we used vegetable shortening (the big blocks)

never ever did you just throw stuff in any fryer. was a good place to work with high standards and good quality food
>>
>>7221093
Unless the shop is vegetarian/vegan, I can absolutely guarantee you're eating fries fried in the same oil as various meat products.

I've been a manager at a fast food restaurant, and I've helped out at a small cafe.

In hindsight, I just realized that we contaminated the oil with pork when quick-frying bacon. I'm sure the Muslim customers would not be happy to hear that.
>>
>>7224139
Every place I've worked in for mom and pop to corporate (marriot/aramark) used the same fryers for everything.
>>
>>7221107
WHERE IS THIS FROM
>>
>>7221093
>being a picky eater
just stop

Especially if you can't even tell the difference without asking, its fucking ridiculous
>>
I like to use a hair drier.
>>
Common wisdom around here is that most local places that have a fish special (usually catfish) on Fridays because they change the oil after they close that night or the next morning.

By the way, when I first became a grad student, one of the cafeteria workers had just graduated and was working there for the year while his girlfriend finished up her degree. I used to frequently eat lunch with him at the cafeteria.

One day all the cafeteria employees were eating French fries. I asked him why that was so and he said that they had just changed the oil that morning and so these fries were made with fresh oil.

I didn't ask him how often they changed oil, but I got the impression that there wasn't a set schedule.
>>
Depends on the type of joint your working at
For example places that are really busy usually have fryers dedicated to frying meat fish or fries however that's not to say they will never use the meat fryer for fries or visa versa

All and all it doesn't really matter there won't be any cross contamination as the oil should be hot enough to kill off bacteria also I don't really think that frying some fries in a fryer that you use exclusively for chicken wings would really effect the tast
>>
It all depends on the volume of the place, turn overs and menu.
>>
>>7224606

>Especially if you can't even tell the difference without asking, its fucking ridiculous

This.
>>
I worked at long John silvers late 80s. We had 3 fryers. From right to left it was fish only for the far right, all other meats, chicken, shrimp, clams in the middle, and on the left, fries, hush puppies, and crumbs (more they called it). Oil was filtered twice a day and topped off with fresh.

Every few days we rotated it from right to left. The fish oil went to the vat used for chicken, shrimp, etc. The chicken oil went to the fries vat. The Fry oil was thrown out. Therefore, the chicken was fishy, the fries tasted like everything. The fish always just tasted like fish. If you had a shellfish issue, you were safe just ordering fish with no crumbs/more.

Pro tip: that place cut corners every chance they got, except for the temperature of the water used in the batter. We had a special machine that put out water that was at a specific temp and there was no option for fucking that up. I've seen a lot of batter/frying recipes that were specific about that. I'm inclined to think there might be something to it.
>>
>>7223808
Which strains of harmful bacteria can survive at 190 degrees celsius?
>>
>>7221093
A nearby place here has 2 fryers, one for muslims that wish to eat halal food, and other for the non halal.

The fries usually go into the fryer with halal meat, and if you order a chicken from that place you will find french fries in it :/

I'd wish they'd seperate the tools and machines for vegetarian and non vegetarian food. I am so tired of my fries tasting like fish and meat, and french fries within the freaking meat i order.

This is so annoying >.< but it's everywhere...
>>
>>7225119
You could try not eating there.
>>
File: 1407649676745.jpg (13 KB, 192x190) Image search: [Google]
1407649676745.jpg
13 KB, 192x190
Whenever a kid wouldn't eat off my recette I'd have to come out and ask them what they wanted, fries and a burger were usually what I got asked to make. Parents would always ask

>Can you do that? Chef, is that OK?

No I've never heard of that fucking concoction, I'm only capable of fondue and fine pastries, what the fuck is wrong with these people? My niece makes burgers and fries and she's 9. I picked up a brioche recipe from one my preppers because once a month some 7 year old didn't like the recette tonight. Anyway I always do the same shit

>shoestring cut, curly
>fried in peanut oil
I never fucking asked if they were allergic and they usually said something if they were, nmfp
>golden, taken out, dried, then refried for 30 seconds to get the extra crisp
>drained, salted
>if I'm feeling ambitious I throw a pinch of garlic on it
>literally throw them on a big ass square plate
>slap the medium cooked burger with the lightly toasted fresh brioche on it in the middle of the plate
>slam parsley on the side because its new york and people expect fancy shit

My meat mix has pork and veal in it, settle yourselves.

I actually did get a Muslim family once and left it in for the kid, little shit gobbled it down. I don't use truffles because frankly I find mushrooms revolting, but I still do a portabella dish every so often. Its actually pretty fun getting a kid who won't eat because they're more picky than the critics, you have to dumb down the flavor but keep it tasty otherwise they get lost in it
>>
>>7225033
This
I've spent 10 years in restaurants & it's very rare that there's a fryer used exclusively for 1 purpose. If someone ordered something fried with a severe food allergy we would just pan fry it.
Fryer oil would typically get changed 2 or 3 times a week unless we were doing something that would ruin the oil quickly like high salt or water content.
But most chefs don't give a shit because like this anon said, nothing survives in screaming hot oil
>>
>>7221093
>>7221107

Any decent fries are double fried with 50-100% duck fat. If you ever get really really good fries, you can be sure that your eating leftover fat from duck breast, and the better they are more the duck suffered (foie gras duck). So just give up. Sorry.
>>
>>7225698
jesus christ you sound like a humongous douchebag
>>
>>7225434
It is my best option atm. my alternative is a chinese bar/ fastfood place that puts everything in the same oil and never changes the oil.

...other alternatives are:
*Chinese restaurant that sells sushi and burgers
*Dominos which makes pizzas that taste like the premade frozen ones you can buy at supermarkets.
*Middle eastern pasta-sallad bar that puts enormous amounts of the wrong spices in their mixed alternative sallads, They all taste weird.
*Lebanese restaurant that makes grilled food, their meat is always dry as hell, even the lamb...
*McDonalds that would have been fine for me to buy from, if only it wasn't 10km away - in the middle of a main road, and I don't own a car.
---------------------------
There used to be a trailer that parked near the supermarket here every monday, and would sell very good steak, beef angus, ribs, fried potatoes, fried chicken etc. but they didn't cash in enough, so they moved. Q_Q
>>
>Being a vegetarian to the point of food not being fried in the same fryer.

Literally being a pain in the ass to just be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>7221093

I worked as a frycook but moved up to Saute and then to head of kitchen.

I have two fryers with two baskets each. One fryer is for fries and the like and the other is for seafood.
>>
>>7225853
Do you have a grocery store?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.