[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australian here so I often see cornbread in movies about cowboys,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
Australian here

so I often see cornbread in movies about cowboys, slaves or prison where they seem to treat it like its the best food they have in their shitty conditions

I want to try some. what is a good cornbread recipe to try for a first timer that would make me feel like I'm eating cowboy/slave food
>>
Get a box of Jiffy cornbread mix from amazon. Follow the directions on the box.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 840x698) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 840x698
I don't have a recipe for you, but a lot of cornbread ends up dry. Try finding one that is intentionally moist and sweet. Also, jalapeƱos are great in cornbread.
>>
east or west coast anon? i know a good spot in perth
>>
File: 1391372921856.jpg (124 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1391372921856.jpg
124 KB, 500x375
>>7220279
cowboy cornbread isnt sweet. I think he's looking for that southern shit.
>>
>>7220273
Jiffy is the best I've ever had

>>7220279
Throw some picante sauce in that shit nigga!
>>
>>7220317
Fleischmans or whatever its called is REALLY good. A bit more expensive but I like how grainy it feels.
>>
As a Finngolian I have no idea how cornbread is supposed to be like, but I followed this recipe with great success.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/moist-and-tender-brown-butter-cornbread-recipe.html
>>
>Ireland
>Can't find cornmeal anywhere

Man what kind of fucked up country am I living in
>>
look for cornbread mix that doesn't have added sugar. jiffy cornbread mix is so sweet, it's like a dessert cake. add some fresh corn, pickled jalapenos, and cheddar cheese to the mix. it's really good.
>>
>>7220272
Cornbread is also popular in Mexico and Brazil
>>
It absolutely must be baked in a cast iron skillet. There is no substitute for this if you want it to taste right.
>>
>>7220515
This. Greased with lard, no sugar. Fuck yanks and their corn desserts.
>>
>>7220279
>but a lot of cornbread ends up dry
That's on purpose. There are two kinds of cornbread, it's one of those things murricans are picky about. Some people like dry, peppery cornbread, some people make theirs sweet, moist and more cake like. I personally enjoy both and make whatever I'm more in the mood for.

My grandma actually mixes half jiffy half cornmeal cornbread and it's pretty awesome. brown some butter in the oven while you make the mix and just pour it over the butter.
>>
>>7220448
>>7220710
>mix
>being a snob about sugar
Southerners confirmed for human garbage
>>
>>7220721
I don't think he's being a 'snob' about sugar. he doesn't like sweet cornbread. chill out with the bait, faggot. I know your bitter about spending new years alone but you don't have to go shitpost my dude.
>>
>>7220273
http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/04/cornbread-muffins.XHTML

I made these last week and they taste just like jiffy. I ommited the honey
>>
>>7220736
Oh yeah OP, a little butter and honey on top is another option. p good desu pham.
>>
>>7220721
It's a savory bread. You're having it with dinner, not coffee.
>>
>>7220762
coming from the region that thinks sweet potatoes need to be boiled in melted sugar, all meat needs to be coated in melted sugar, and even tea has to be loaded up with a pound of sugar per 12 oz of tea, that made me laugh

10/10 good jahhb, good jahhhb
>>
>>7220429
Try paki shops you can get it there.
I'm based in Limerick and get it regularly.
>>
>>7220768
Some of us have standards. There aren't many of us, but we fight the good fight.
>tfw it's 4 pm and the parking lot of the shitty country buffet is already full
>>
>>7220768
>drinking sweet tea is bad
>syurp, whipped cream and sugar in your coffee is OK

Try harder faggot
>>
>>7220768
have you even been to america? just so obviously talking out of your ass.
>>
File: 1443202939294.jpg (27 KB, 467x409) Image search: [Google]
1443202939294.jpg
27 KB, 467x409
>>7220792
>flyovers pretending their blighted gastronomic hellscape is "the real america"
>>
>>7220768
Sweet potatoes made like that is a one time a year thing, first of all. There's so much shit people are doing with sweet potatoes here it's starting to be a memefood.

>all meat needs to be coated in melted sugar
no idea what you're talking about. does someone you know like caramel on their steak or something? I've never added sugar to meat. Can't even think of a pan sauce I've made with sugar in it.

>even tea has to be loaded up with a pound of sugar per 12 oz of tea
I don't like sugar in my tea. Unless like a teaspoon of honey counts. I know lots of people that drink tea, my dad is the only one that likes a bit of sugar in it. are you pretending 0% of the rest of the worlds population likes sugar in their tea?
>>
>>7220836
Pretty sure he's referring to most brands of barbecue sauce, in which the primary ingredient is sugar.
>>
File: carpet.gif (51 KB, 305x300) Image search: [Google]
carpet.gif
51 KB, 305x300
>>7220836
fake southerner detected
>>
>>7220732
>this projection
Pathetic.
>>
File: chic.png (113 KB, 254x267) Image search: [Google]
chic.png
113 KB, 254x267
>>7220808
>midwest
>cornbread
>>
>>7220844
???

I never said I was a southerner. I'm from saint louis. the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>7220850
>he thinks the south isn't flyover
kek

I bet you think texas isn't the south too
>>7220854
first of all, missouri is the south, but second, why are you claiming to speak on behalf of a region you think you don't live in? you seem terribly, terribly confused.
>>
speaking of cornbread, whenever i'm in the mood to make it i can never find cornmeal in stores. i live in canada so that might be the issue. or am i not looking in the right aisles?
>>
File: US_map-Old_South[1].png (6 KB, 566x365) Image search: [Google]
US_map-Old_South[1].png
6 KB, 566x365
>>7220875
This is the true south.
>>
File: 1403823916533.png (172 KB, 367x319) Image search: [Google]
1403823916533.png
172 KB, 367x319
>>7220875
>missouri is the south

I've quietly monitored this thread but you just crossed the line.

Even we don't want them.
>>
File: spunj.jpg (13 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
spunj.jpg
13 KB, 240x240
>>7220875
>missouri is the south
Simply geographically speaking Missouri shares latitudes with most of New Jersey, All of Delaware, most of Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

It's far too north to be considered proper Dixie. It's the Midwest, and the gateway to the West.
>>
I don't like sweet cornbread and I don't get what the fucking issue is.

I cook mine in leftover bacon grease and like it with crispy edges. Top it with butter and beans. Pretty much only make cornbread when I make beans. I also like that corn casserole you make with Jiffy mix. The stuff that's got sour cream and corn bits in it.

Fucking love hushpuppies too.
>>
>>7220875
>first of all, missouri is the south
no, it's not. ive been to the south. I live in saint louis. we share almost nothing in common culture-wise except food because we're in the same country. missouri is the midwest. stop talking out your ass. you're embarrassing yourself.

>why are you claiming to speak on behalf of a region you think you don't live in? you seem terribly, terribly confused.
What are you TALKING ABOUT? I was talking about fucking cornbread and correcting your very obvious miseducation of every day american food.
>>
File: you.jpg (79 KB, 500x601) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
79 KB, 500x601
>>7220932
do you honestly think cornbread, sweet tea, and southern BBQ are associated with maine, oregon, or minnesota?

you've never left your home town, have you?
>>
>>7220936
Instead of getting upset, try to remember that this board has a lot of young people who may not know much about the world beyond their parent's control field.

Don't berate, educate.
>>
>>7220936
wat
>>
>>7220941
whether it's a 15 year old or a 47 year old living with his elderly parents, stupidity is stupidity
>>
>>7220936
>do you honestly think cornbread, sweet tea, and southern BBQ are associated with maine, oregon, or minnesota?

when did...I say anything like that?
>>
>>7220958
>...
Retard alert, do not reply beep beep beep
>>
>>7220717
yea I like it dry when I'm eating it with some gumbo or jambalaya or stu
>>
>>7220314
>implying Southern cornbread is sweet

Kek
>>
>>7220999
Southern cornbread is sweet if you're from the Carolinas. It's spicy if you're from Texas. Different southern states have different traditions. But you would know that if you left your own neighborhood once in a while.
>>
>>7221061
Yea, and if you say "Chicago style pizza", people are going to assume you mean deep dish, not Chicago style thin.

Just like when you say "Southern style cornbread", people are going to assume you mean the standard savory version, and not some micro-regional outlier.

So stop being such a faggot
>>
>>7220314

Amen.

I like sweet, but not in cornbread.
>>
>>7221118
I'm guessing you've never been in the south. Regional differences in cornbread are taken quite seriously. Just try to pass off some sweet shit down in the Llano Estacado and see what happens.
>>
>>7221157
Bitch I have a pot of black eyed peas on the stove as I type this and will be having cornbread and greens with it tonight.
>>
>>7221177
Well fine then. Stop acting like a Yankee.
>>
>>7221194
You're the one that likes cornbread that's sweet and tea that ain't.
>>
So the most popular suggestion is to use a premix. What a great cooking board.
>>
>>7221330
It's a discussion of flyover foods, what honestly did you expect
>>
Best cornbread is savory and cooked with lard or bacon grease
>>
>>7221157

I once bought some cornbread at House of Pies on Westheimer in Houston. It was so sweet that I couldn't eat it.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.