[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have experience with Swai fillet/Swai fish?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: dreamstime_m_10525539.jpg (383 KB, 2116x1416) Image search: [Google]
dreamstime_m_10525539.jpg
383 KB, 2116x1416
Does anyone here have experience with Swai fillet/Swai fish?
Is it healthy enough to eat daily? The only info I can find online is propaganda against it because it endangers the US Catfish market.
>>
>>7217604
I like it and its cheaper than catfish
>>
>>7217604

I did some googling, it's almost impossible for some reason to find any recent independent test results from the West (scientists being useless cunts as far as food safety is concerned as usual). Here is some from Egypt, Palestine and Poland though.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1815385212000302

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tarek_Elnimr/publication/267994482_Evaluation_of_some_heavy_metals_in_Pangasius_hypothalmus_and_Tilapia_nilotica_and_the_role_of_acetic_acid_in_lowering_their_levels/links/551d3f860cf23e2801fe0a78.pdf

https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://ptz.icm.edu.pl/download/2015/tom_11_1/VI%2520%25C5%2581uszczek-Trojnar.pdf&prev=search

Conclusion : very significant lead and cadmium content, not a problem for infrequent consumption but not something you'd want to eat daily.

Ignoring that, I dislike the texture of panga/swai, of the garbage farmed fish I prefer Tilapia (used to be just as cheap, but Panga pushed it out of the market a bit).
>>
>>7217659
Nice blog post
>>7217604
Yeah it's not good. The reason people are suspicious of Asian farmed fish is that it's shit. I'm Asian, I generally like Asian stuff, this is not about xenophobia or "protectionism", people need to understand that all food is NOT the same.
>>
>>7217659
Interesting. That kinda sucks cause I loved Swai and hate Tilapia... Swai is just so much softer and moist compared to dry Tilapia.

>>7217663
But real fish is so much more expensive :(
>>
>>7217665

Frozen cod isn't that expensive. Pollock even cheaper. At least in my country.
>>
I only buy it because it's REAL cheap at $1.49/lb. Otherwise, I don't fuck with it because it doesn't taste as nearly nice as good ol' USican catfish.

Now, the odd thing, I'm actually having swai today at lunch: beetroot fried rice with swai fish-tofu. That's the best thing to do with swai because it doesn't taste very good, but if you make it into fish-tofu, you can modify its flavour with various additional ingredients to be a bit more pleasant and less swai-y.

>>7217665
>swai is soft
Precisely why I use it pretty much exclusively for fish tofu. I did try to make fish fingers of it once, and that wasn't too bad, either.

Also, if you buy the right wild-caught fish in the right seasons, the price is quite reasonable. I bought some pilchards a few weeks ago for $2.99/lb. I've gotten mackerel for $1.79/lb at the right times of year and frozen wild caught salmon can be had for as little as $3.99/lb.

If you live on the US east coast, bluefish is super cheap at the end of August through early October, at 99ยข/lb, whole fish. They weigh about 2-3lbs each and make for real good eating cooked over open flame or oven-roasted.
>>
>>7217742
Swai fillets here in California is aprox $2/lb for a 40lb case.

To me, Swai (softer/tender) tastes much better than Tilapia (harder/dry), so I usually blend Tilapia into fish cake or something.

Salmon SOMETIMES goes on sale for $2.49/lb and when it does I'll usually buy two and fillet+freeze them.

I just thought if Swai was 'healthy' enough I could eat it exclusively as its cheap and easy to use.
>>
Shittier crapfish
>>
>>7217922
>filleting your own fish
Better man than I, since I've absolute shit filleting skills. I can't shimmy the knife across the spine as easily as others seem to be able to do, so I always wind up with one side and two fillets rather than two sides. After removing one side as two fillets by slicing straight down onto the spine thenn shimmying around the bones towards the fin, I can usually just pull the spine and tail from the other side fairly easily.

For as much fish I eat, I really ought to learn to do a better job of cleaning it because $2.49/lb would be a fucking dream for salmon, but they tend to be too large for me to cook and eat with any regularity, meaning that I'd need to cut off its sides and freeze them as you do.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.