[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Indian food the most expensive takeaway out of all takeaways?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: indian-tache2.jpg (54 KB, 350x352) Image search: [Google]
indian-tache2.jpg
54 KB, 350x352
Why is Indian food the most expensive takeaway out of all takeaways?
>>
>>7216881
It's called takeout Nigel
>>
>>7216885
Not in my city.
>>
>>7216881
specialized equipment for things like idli, long cook times for stews and beans, and spices like cardamom aren't cheap. a lot of places also overcharge because it has the exotic factor.
>>
>>7216985
>implying idly is complicated
nigger proper biryani takes about a gorillion years longer than it takes to shit out your memecakes, go back to the gaia for you are clearly the summeriest of summerfags, I can literally smell the clary sage, verbena, and tomatoes nearly bursting on the vine from all the way over here
>>
>>7216914
Yeah, Atrocity.
>>
>>7216881
Because you live in Wyoming.
>>
>>7216881
You have to pay them to wash their hands...
>>
>>7216994
>implying you can read
i never said it was complicated
>>
Have you had persian food takeout? I worked at a persian restaurant that had a large focus in takeaway. Shit was pretty expensive
>>
File: punjabi.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
punjabi.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
>>7216881
Where I live Punjabi cabbie stands offer the cheapest and most delicious of foods. Pic related.
>>
It's not really the most expensive, it's just that low tier indian food takes more preparation than most other low tier food.
Decent indian food is probably cheaper than decent other ethnic foods.
>>
>>7217129
Hi /pol/
>>
>>7216885
Howd ye knew me name was nigel, guvna?
>>
>>7216881
Nah, around here, Thai is the most expensive, for some reason. Also, the Thai restaurants close the earliest of all. IDK what's up with that.
>>
>>7216994

>gaia

Listen man, it's been over a decade. Kids don't go on gaia anymore.
>>
>>7217350
that place is terrible, I don't know why you keep meming it
>>
>>7217434
There's a reason they use so many fragrent spices after all eh
>>
>>7216881
probably to pay off the health inspectors so they won't get shut down
>>
How else are they going to pay off the food/health inspector?
>>
>>7217651
Because it's one of my fave places, and has been for many years. If you think it's terrible I'm pretty sure you've never had a samosa chaat there. One of the tastiest things you can get in NYC for under $4.
>>
>>7216881
Honestly, it's because they're an overwhelmingly cheap and stingy race. Basically just jews with much more offensive smells.
>>
File: ISHYGDDT.png (197 KB, 458x419) Image search: [Google]
ISHYGDDT.png
197 KB, 458x419
>>7216881
>eating indian food

low energy food, smells and tastes like a total disaster
>>
>>7216881
eating from the lunch buffet if they have one is way cheaper vs takeout from the same indian place. 10 dollars for the buffet or 15 dollars for one takeout entree.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 500x503
>>7218386
>low energy
There you have it, a balance of carbs, protein and fat are a low energy diet.
Never change /ck/.
>>
>>7218420
I went to one and was trying to order off the menu, the server was like you fucking retard all these same items are on the buffet which costs less than that single item, and refused to take my order.

Granted, that was dine-in. Sometimes those places offer a buffet take-out option, like all you can fit into one of those styrofoam boxes for the buffet price + 5 galactic portions.
>>
Chinese is as expensive as Indian where I live, but Indian is often more filled out with sauce or potatoes. Pretty sure they only do it because they can get away with it. Their sauces are nicer.
>>
>>7217282
This persian food is always expensive
>>
File: 01-Taste-of-Persia-NYC.jpg (109 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
01-Taste-of-Persia-NYC.jpg
109 KB, 640x480
>>7217282
The persian joint near my work is like $12, which is pretty much in line with any other lunch takeout that doesn't suck around here.
>>
>>7216881
They have to remove all the shit from it before serving it to other countries
>>
>>7216881
I don't know. When I get Indian its a buffet for lunch or sit-down for dinner.

Indian is labor intensive. Lots of ingredients. That could be part of it.
>>
>>7217037
Lolololol got eem
>>
$5 for 2 servings of dal and a choice of rice or roti. How is that expensive?
If you're poor than you shouldn't be picky about whether your meal has the luxury of meat in it or not.
>>
>>7216881
mustache maintenance is expensive
>>
>>7216881
>most expensive takeaway

Free market economics? There's not a lot of curry houses compared to pizza/burger joints so they've got that exclusivity thing going for them and besides, it's fucking awesome food.

Also, saffron is more expensive than gold...
>>
cos its actual food matey. Nowt like that pizza made with bulk buy ingredients and frozen dough made by drug dealing pakis and Iraqis.
I know a huge £9 pepperoni pizza costs cheap pizza shops around £2 to get to your face from 'scratch'.
Whereas by local Indian is £10-£15 depending on what I fancy and it tastes immense.
>>
No one wants food from people who don't believe in the idea of not shitting whenever and wherever you have the urge to.

Low demand, high price.
>>
>>7218386
Looks like lil caprice.
>>
Cause nobody has invented a way to mass-produce a shitty version of the stuff in fast food form yet. You basically have to pay for regular restaurant food if you want it at all
>>7221724
That isn't how supply and demand works, anon. Low demand means low prices cause the person with the unwanted product has to take what he can get.
>>
>>7216881
>>7216881
Gotta pay for all that Proctosol
>>
>>7221649
>>7218974
Well this goes along with the critisizm that their currys are overpowered with spices.

Personally i can't tell a difference in taste because of the amount of spice in them.
>>
>>7221805

That isn't how supply and demand works, anon. Low demand means high prices cause the person with the highly desired by a few niche customers product takes whatever he can
>>
>>7217350
fuck new york
>>
>>7222321
>Low demand
>highly desired
lol wut
>>
>>7217418
In So Cal, most Thai restaurants provide very large portions. One entree is usually enough to feed two or even three *normal* adults and avg price is $6-9.
>>
its 10 bucks for butter chicken and naan at my favorite indian place but that shit also lasts 2 or 3 meals depending how hungry I am, honestly not a bad deal.
>>
>>7222321
Where were you educated?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.